โ๐ƒ๐‘๐€๐๐„๐“๐Ž๐Œ๐Ž๐๐ˆ๐€โž โ”...

Da wistfulthoughts

drapetomonia - the overwhelming urge to run away. โ” When Junia Beaumont, her brother and their classmates get... Altro

โ๐ƒ๐‘๐€๐๐„๐“๐Ž๐Œ๐Ž๐๐ˆ๐€.โž
โ๐‚๐€๐’๐“.โž
โ๐‹๐˜๐‘๐ˆ๐‚๐’.โž
00. prologue
โ๐€๐‚๐“ ๐ˆ - ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐Œ๐„๐๐“๐Ž๐‘.โž
01. the fourth of july
02. rigged
03. cattle cars
04. the monkey enclosure
05. hypotheticals
06. consequences
07. back at the zoo
08. the questionnaire
09. mentor and tribute
10. blood
11. grief, sorrow and anger
12. afternoon sun
13. a proposal
14. somber morning
15. arachne's funeral
16. the arena
17. the hospital
18. wounds
โ๐€๐‚๐“ ๐ˆ๐ˆ - ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐“๐‘๐€๐ˆ๐“๐Ž๐‘.โž
19. a visitor
20. the spare key
21. a nightly visit
22. test subject C
23. guns and axes
24. of snakes and antidotes
25. preparations
26. last steps
27. backstage
28. the interview
29. closer
30. one last measure
31. countdown
32. murder and mercy
33. rescue mission
34. kiss of life
35. eleven remain
36. Lamina
37. what it means to be human
38. a deal with a snake
39. the grand finale
โ๐€๐‚๐“ ๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ - ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐•๐ˆ๐‚๐“๐Ž๐‘.โž
41. clash of views
42. the future
43. dread
44. the hypocrisy of it all
45. don't be a stranger
46. a sister's guilt
47. goodbye, capitol
48. home
49. family line
50. survivor's guilt
51. the market
52. sketches
53. Rachis
54. the Pine
55. a broken boy
56. Happy birthday, Treech
57. twins
58. the wedding
59. epilogue
โ๐“๐‘๐ˆ๐•๐ˆ๐€.โž

40. reunion

329 18 214
Da wistfulthoughts

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

40. reunion

She doesn’t have much of a say in the matter and is whisked away by not only the entire student body but also the professors. Celebrations are in order, that’s what they say, but June can’t say she’s in the mood for any of it. All they care about is that they have a winner, and in their eyes, it’s not even him, but her.

It baffles her. Although she knows that she went above and beyond as a mentor, the part that matters most was completely out of her control. A child had to fight other children for his survival; she doesn’t see any point in celebrating. All she wants right now is to see Treech—to take him into her arms and let him cry—because she knows he needs it above everything.

Still, she forces herself to have at least a slice of the cake served in Heavensbee Hall and keeps herself busy by making sure her brother stays away from the posca. It turns out it’s not that hard of a task, since Hilarius and Pup are talking his ears off until she eventually can’t make him out in the crowd anymore.

As much as she wants to be mad, she can’t blame him or his friends. They haven’t had a chance to catch up properly in a while, and June has enough people surrounding her so her thoughts don’t spiral. The relief of Treech’s survival — calling it a victory is something she can’t bring herself to do — makes her feel at ease. They’ll let her know when she can see him; she’s sure of that.

June doesn’t know how much time has passed, but being in the spotlight the way she is now is overwhelming. Throughout her time at the Academy, she never tried to stand out, and now all eyes are seemingly on her no matter where she goes. For her own sake, she sticks close to Sejanus and Lyssie since her brother is nowhere to be seen.

All of this attention feels nice and yet uncomfortable at the same time. She knows it’s not her who all eyes should be on; she wasn’t in the arena.

Eventually, she’s pulled aside by some people from the TV crew. They fix her makeup, and she almost assumes that she’s about to be forced into another interview with Lucky when there’s a change of plans. Instead of that, though, Professor Click informs her that someone is waiting for her in the biology lab and that she should be heading there as soon as possible.

“Must be Treech,” Sejanus concludes, watching the woman walk away. He looks at June. “I didn’t think they’d bring him to the Academy.”

June gives a half-hearted shrug but is unable to stop herself from smiling. Her heart skips a beat at the thought of seeing him again, and she subconsciously fixes her hair. She gives Sejanus a gentle squeeze on the arm when she’s done. “I’m just glad he’s here,” she says. “But don’t wait for me; this might take a little longer.”

A teasing smile crosses Sejanus’ face, and he hums. “I bet,” he replies. “I’ll go ahead and check on Coryo, then. I haven’t seen him, and I’m kind of getting worried.”

June nods, parting ways with him. She slips through the crowd, making herself as small as possible, and lets out a sigh of relief once she’s out of Heavensbee Hall. The rest of the Academy is as quiet as she remembers it from the nights of the Games, only the occasional ticking of a clock and the sound of her footsteps accompany her on the way to the biology lab. She hears the celebration getting more and more quiet, until its sounds eventually fade into a comfortable silence.

Her heart skips a beat. They patched Treech up in such a short time? Is he alone in a room with just some Peacekeepers? Or even worse, what if Dr. Gaul is in there with him?

The thought alone is enough to make her walk faster, but much to her surprise, she spots a familiar figure accompanied by two Peacekeepers. His jaw is clenched, his expression hard, but when he spots the girl approaching the room he just left, his eyes widen. Something has replaced his sadness over Lucy Gray’s death—something much worse.

“Coriolanus?” June eyes the scene confusedly, stopping in her tracks. Her eyes are wide at the display, with one Peacekeeper in front of him and the other behind him. They’re treating him like a criminal. “Wait, what’s going on? What happened?”

Coriolanus comes to a halt, and so do the Peacekeepers. “Don’t pretend you don’t know anything,” he spits. “You broke our agreement!”

She blinks, and it takes her a second to figure out the meaning behind the words. His accusation throws her off guard because, yes, while she did think about telling on him, she discarded those thoughts the second Treech was crowned the victor. Why would she frame Coriolanus now when she was planning on giving him the prize money anyway? Does he think she’s that desperate to keep it? Or that she would stoop so low as to not stick to the agreement, even though she’d technically have every right to do so since he did?

“You mean you got caught?” She corrects him, tilting her chin up a bit. “I figured messing with the snakes wouldn’t be foolproof. But just because I think it’s a foolish plan, it doesn’t mean I’d go and tell Dr. Gaul!”

It’s not like her, but she can’t help it. Treech might be in the biology lab right now, waiting for her. Although she feels pity for Coriolanus, she ultimately decides that he brought this on himself. His greed for the Plinth Prize is what made him cheat, and this is where it led him. A part of her is horrified that she’s thinking this way, but she knows this is objectively true. Did he think nothing would happen?

Cheating in such an obvious way after Highbottom warned them about the consequences is nothing short of idiotic. No matter how much Dr. Gaul liked his contributions or the essay he wrote, not even she seems to want to bail him out of his misery. He did this to himself, so why is he trying to put the blame on her? It’s sad.

Debating whether or not he believes her, Coriolanus ultimately decides on a mix of both. June has never been a liar, but he knows what the Games have been pushing people to be.

His eyes, however, are colder than ever. “Well, someone did,” he merely says, clearly confused as to who would do such a thing.

If it wasn’t her, who would dare tell on him? Who else would possibly have known about it? Was he just careless? Was Lucy Gray — Lucy Gray. Poor, poor Lucy Gray. His heart clenches as he remembers her last moments. A clever idea: sneaking up on Treech with a snake. It might have worked, but all things considered, Coriolanus is sure the boy must have known.

Once again, Junia Beaumont beat him. Because unlike him, she was smart enough to pass on anything she knew about the snakes to her tribute. Or perhaps it was a foolish move after all?

“Perhaps whatever you planned wasn’t as thought through as you thought it was,” June finally says. Her mind is racing just as much as her heart is. “I don’t know who, but it wasn’t me. I had no reason to.”

Coriolanus stares down at her unblinkingly. After that conversation with Highbottom, he’s not sure what to believe anymore. He doesn’t know if Junia is lying. Before the whole mentorship, he would’ve immediately believed her, but now he’s not so sure anymore.

Angry at both Lucy Gray’s passing and his own failure, his jaw clenches again. “It doesn’t matter anymore. You got what you wanted. Congratulations,” he hisses the last word and feels even more irritated when she doesn’t even blink. “He won. And once I—”

A Peacekeeper coughs, shooting Coriolanus a look. The man impatiently pokes his back with the butt of his rifle. “Move along, boy.”

June doesn’t understand for sure what he’s saying. “You’re leaving?” she asks.

“That’s my punishment,” Coriolanus says bitterly. “Exilement to the Districts.”

With that, the Peacekeeper behind him gives Coriolanus a subtle push, urging him to keep on walking. June stands still, watching as he’s forced down the hall. She swallows at the humiliating display, feeling genuine pity.

It’s a shame to see what he has turned into. She hopes that his time in the districts, however long it may be, will help guide him onto the right path.

“I’m sorry,” she calls out after him, “about Lucy Gray.” And she genuinely means it.

But she’s not sorry that he got caught; that’s no one’s fault but his own.

She doesn’t get a reply, but maybe that’s for the better. She watches in silence, and a strange feeling settles deep within her.

Will she see him again? She doesn’t know. She doesn’t know if she wants to.

June heaves a sigh once he’s out of sight. Exilement to the Districts because he cheated? The thought of how Tigris might react to this almost breaks her heart. She knows this is what she threatened Coriolanus with, but to see it all unravel now sends her into a whirlwind of emotions. She’s torn between feeling pity and the knowledge that he’s getting what was coming for him.

With a shake of her head, June forces herself to walk the rest of the way. Knowing that it’s likely just Highbottom and not Treech waiting for her definitely puts a damper on things. She hopes this won’t take long, but she can’t help but worry. Did they catch her, too? Or does he just want to question her?

When she’s at the door, she takes a deep breath and knocks. Once told to come in, she does and closes the door behind her. As expected, Dean Highbottom is sitting at the desk with an unreadable expression on his face. At the sight of what’s on the desk, June gasps softly but steps further inside anyway.

“You wanted to see me, sir?” She asks carefully. Her gaze sweeps over the golden necklace — her grandmother’s necklace — that’s laid out on the desk. “Did you…”

“We checked the tribute’s bodies after we received a hint that someone might be cheating,” Highbottom says in his usual monotone voice. He gestures for the girl to take a seat and continues speaking once she does. “We had a few difficulties retrieving it from him. He seemed rather protective over it, so we ran some tests to see if it had been tampered with.”

Sliding the necklace over the table, he eyes her worried expression. “We didn’t find anything and put it back the way it was. I’m sure your parents will be overjoyed to know it’s clean,” he goes on to say. “Because it seems that, unlike Mr. Snow, you know better than to tamper with your family’s belongings.”

June looks up in surprise and takes the necklace into her hands, running her thumb over the “B” engraved on its pendant. “Coriolanus did?” she asks. “I didn’t know he gave Lucy Gray anything.”

Highbottom hums. “His mother’s compact. Filled with rat poison,” he explains curtly. When he sees her eyes light up and her mouth gape open, he tilts his head to the side. “You had your suspicions, I’m assuming. The look on your face tells me everything I need to know.”

“I had suspicions that Dill didn’t die of natural causes, yes. It seemed suspicious that Lucy Gray emptied every other bottle except for one,” June says. “But I didn’t know for sure. I thought that maybe with the Games and everything that has been happening, I was just jumping to conclusions.”

“And yet you were suspicious enough to send your lumberjack a fresh bottle of water into the arena when he approached it,” Highbottom answers, and almost sounds a little bit amused. “It’s rather ironic that you kept it to yourself while Mr. Snow had no qualms mentioning your name when I confronted him. He said you knew about the snake muttations, too.”

A cold shiver runs down her spine, and in an instant, as good as every bit of sympathy June had left for Coriolanus vanishes. His pettiness is the final straw in all of this, clearing her mind of any lingering pity she felt for someone she once considered a good acquaintance.

“He did what?” She asks in disbelief. “What was he trying to do, then? To get me punished as well?”

Highbottom shrugs almost nonchalantly. “It wouldn’t surprise me. It seems he was insistent on taking someone down with him,” he says. “And for whatever reason, he chose you. Perhaps he simply can’t accept that he lost and chose to put the blame on you.”

He pauses for a moment, watching the way June processes his words and seems to struggle to comprehend them. “You underestimated his ambition and greed,” he concludes, folding his hands on the table. “However, his claims have no solid proof to back them up. Because, even if you did cheat, he had no proof for it. It was all speculation, nothing more.”

June swallows and nods. “I think I understand the gist of it.” Something else is on her mind, but she can’t let Highbottom know that, in a way, she was complicit in a part of Coriolanus’ cheating by not telling on him.

“Is it alright if I ask a question, though? About the snake muttations?” When Highbottom makes a gesture with his hands, urging her to go on, she keeps on speaking. “Rat poison aside, did he tamper with the snakes, too? Because as much as I’d like to believe they didn’t attack Lucy Gray because of her singing, that seems too convenient.”

He laughs. She doesn’t think he has ever heard him make this kind of sound before, and it concerns her to see him genuinely joyful when he always looks like he’s on the verge of death otherwise. “You’re right, he did. A little handkerchief carrying her DNA and scent... with his father’s initials on it,” he says.

June can’t help but deadpan. Of course she knows about the number of handkerchiefs the Snows have. And for some reason, almost all of them have Crassus Snow’s or Coriolanus father’s, initials on them. When she and Cas would visit him and Tigris as children, they’d always receive them. She almost feels tempted to join Highbottom in laughing because there’s no way they wouldn’t have known.

She said she’d ruin Coriolanus if Treech died. But, as it turns out, even if something went wrong, Coriolanus would have still gotten caught. There was never a way for him to win this.

Was he that desperate?

“I find it interesting that you asked, though. Since it was your brother who reported seeing him sneak something into the tank,” Highbottom says.

June blinks, and her heart stops for a moment as she processes his words. She can’t believe her ears. “Cas… Castiel did?” she inquires curiously. “He saw him?”

Highbottom nods. “That he did.” He says. “He reported it immediately, but it was already too late. Dr. Gaul was insistent that the snakes be unleashed in the arena regardless. She didn’t want to call it off without any proof. But when we saw the songbird’s little performance, well...” He trails off.

“So you knew for almost an entire day?” she questions. “And you didn’t do anything about it?”

She still can’t believe her own brother caught Coriolanus cheating and reported him to Dr. Gaul. She knew he was keen on winning, but with the consequences cheating had, Cas decided to do it anyway. They didn’t even know what the punishment for cheating would be, but when Highbottom threatened the cheater with “no future,"  it certainly never entailed good things. Being exiled is harsh, but it could have also ended with an execution. Knowing Dr. Gaul, anything could have been possible.

“I suggested having him disqualified, but Dr. Gaul was very insistent we don’t. So even if his girl had won, he wouldn’t have seen the prize money. Not a single penny,” Highbottom says. June is starting to think this overjoys Highbottom immensely. She knew he didn’t like Coriolanus, but this feels personal. “I believe there might not have been a winner at all in that case, though. Perhaps it’s for the better that your lumberjack won.”

A small smile crosses June’s face at the mention of Treech. She tucks the necklace into the pocket of her jacket. “Where is Treech? At the hospital?” she asks, eager to know his whereabouts.

"Indeed, he is. You’ll see him very soon,” Highbottom answers. He studies her once more. “Allow me to give you one last piece of advice, though. The truth will always come out sooner or later, so make sure to bury it. Any evidence that might pinpoint cheating that you leave behind might be fatal."

June’s mind blanks, her resolve crumbling in the blink of an eye. She visibly pales, and her mouth falls agape as she scrambles for a reply. “My… My cheating?” she repeats incredulously. “I didn’t—”

“—You might have fooled the audience, but you can’t fool me. They think your lumberjack made a run for it as soon as the tank carrying the snakes arrived in the arena out of intuition; I believe he knew about them because you told him,” Highbottom says, an almost dubious smile etched across his face. "Rest assured, Ms. Beaumont, your visit to Ms. Dovecote didn't go unnoticed by us. It wouldn't be a surprise if she let a few things slip."

June sinks in her seat. She knew that they'd be notified, but it still makes her feel uneasy to know that they've been keeping tabs on her.

Sensing her discomfort, Highbottom says, "All accusations, of course. Nothing with any substantial proof." He clears his throat. “I thought your brother’s internship was a bit too conveniently timed as well. Perhaps you should reconsider what your future has in store for you.”

Her stomach clenches at the thought. She knows it’s meant to be advice and that, in some twisted sense, Highbottom might be looking out for her, but it’s still strange. He has a point anyway, because the last thing she needs is for her and Cas to get into trouble just because he wanted to help her.

June takes a deep breath, measuring her next words carefully.

“I know what the future has in store for me,” June says with surprising certainty. “At least I’m sure I do.”

“Whatever it is, it won’t be here in the Capitol, will it?” Knowing he caught her, Highbottom muses aloud, “Is this love, Ms. Beaumont? Between you and that lumberjack?”

Since she doesn’t want to embarrass herself in front of him, she clears her throat. “I believe that’s my personal business, sir. None of yours,” she says, a small smile on her face. “But thank you; I will remember your advice."

“Well played, Ms. Beaumont,” Highbottom finally says, standing up from his chair. “After all this time... Snow might finally be falling.”

A look of melancholy crosses his face, although she finds genuine relief in his expression. She’s tempted to ask where his disdain for Coriolanus comes from now that they’re having some kind of heart-to-heart, but she can’t bring herself to do it.

On one hand, she fears she might open up some old wounds if she lets her curiosity get the better of her. There’s a nagging feeling in the back of her mind that she shouldn’t. And on the other hand, her heart soars now that she has the knowledge that Treech will be able to live and go home.

The prospect of seeing him very soon makes her feel giddy. A part of her can’t believe this is real, but she knows she’ll likely only believe it once she has him in her arms.

“Alright,” June answers. “Then… What is next? Will they let me see Treech?”

Picking up his bag, Highbottom’s smile turns a bit more wry. “I believe you might need a ride.”

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

The ride to the hospital is awkward and silent, and June is glad when it’s over. She can’t quite shake off the feeling that Highbottom feels some form of gratitude towards her, but she doesn’t know how to take it. To her, it makes no sense, and she decides to ignore it as much as she can.

Strange as he may be, she trusts the man to keep her cheating a secret. After all, he has no evidence to back up his claims and seems satisfied that way, too. Perhaps he’s just relieved that Coriolanus is out of the picture, but it’s not like she understands why. At least she knows for sure that it’s something personal, and she’d like to stay out of any personal affairs that don’t involve her directly.

Her time in the Capitol is coming to an end; there’s no need to get caught up in unnecessary gossip.

He bids her goodbye as if knowing he’ll never see her again. And as if he knows that June is planning on leaving the Capitol as soon as possible to be with her tribute, he repeats his advice, and when the door slams shut, he stares at her for longer than needed. It's almost as if he’s trying to memorize the very face that brought Coriolanus Snow to his ruins and put an end to him before it’s too late.

Snow is falling indeed, albeit slowly. It’ll start high up in the beautiful mountainscape surrounding the Capitol, and it will spread throughout all of Panem. Far away in the districts, she will likely never realize how much pain and suffering she has inadvertently spared the country.

When he drives off and June is left standing outside of the hospital on her own, excitement and anxiety wash over her at once. She enters the hospital and finds it as unsuspecting as ever; however, the kind lady at the front desk recognizes her immediately and tells her where to find Treech with a smile on her face.

It’s a relief to know the Capitol is getting over themselves, at least for the winner of the Games. The room Treech is supposedly in is a bit further away from the others, almost separate. Whether it’s simply to make sure he remains undisturbed or because of his District background, she’s not sure. She can’t say she cares much right now, though; she knows he’ll need privacy after everything. She’ll take it, no matter the reason.

She reaches the door guarded by two Peacekeepers with the right number next to it and lets out a shaky breath. She can hear faint murmuring from the inside. Is he talking to someone? Are there nurses present? She raises her hand, gives the door a few gentle knocks, and waits it out.

The talking stops, footsteps follow, and the door is opened just a little bit. June is surprised when she looks up into a pair of brown eyes almost identical to her own. She stares at him, her expression one of delight and confusion at once.

Cas turns to look over his shoulder with a grin. “Not a nurse. Not a doctor either,” he says. “Better than that, actually.”

“Not?” Treech’s raspy voice can be heard. “Who is it?”

The sound of his voice alone sends shivers down June’s spine, and after a pleading look, Cas steps aside and lets his sister in. She hears the door shut behind her but pays it no mind, instead focusing on the boy sitting at the table, his jacket draped over the chair he’s sitting on. There’s a bandage on his upper arm, another around his wrist.

The first thing she notices is the exhaustion on his face mixed with confusion, then it turns into an expression of surprise, his mouth falling agape. In a split second, it’s like his heart stops, and the sight of her is what brings him back to life.

Has she always been that beautiful? There’s light makeup on her face, and although she doesn’t need anything to make her more beautiful, there’s a sparkle in her eyes that has his heart beating faster than ever before. She’s a vision; to him, she might as well be the definition of perfect. So put-together, he feels like a staring fool.

Mesmerized, he doesn’t even notice she’s approaching him until his body moves on its own. He drops his spoon, stands up, and walks the rest of the distance in big strides before he immediately wraps his arms around her.

“June!” He exclaims, bringing one hand up to cup the back of her neck. Feeling her soft strands beneath his fingertips, he runs his fingers along the bow — his neck scarf — in her hair and takes a deep, shaky breath. Her scent fills him with comfort and a strange sense of nostalgia. It feels so much longer than just a few days since he last saw her. He could’ve sworn it was an eternity.

June embraces him tightly and buries her face in his shoulder. She doesn’t care much that he smells like sweat, dirt, rain, and whatever else is still clinging to his skin. She just smells him, and that’s enough for her.

He’s alive.

Her eyebrows knit together at the realization, and the relief hits her like a tidal wave. She has to force back her tears but gives up eventually, silently letting them flow and seep into his shirt. Sucking in a sharp breath, her hand fists the back of his shirt, and she lets out a small sigh, only to get choked up again when his calloused fingers run over the hair on her nape.

“Treech...” she mumbles his name quietly, only pulling away slightly to look up at his face and into his eyes. He looks tired, but the faint light in his eyes lets her know that he must be experiencing the same feelings as her. “I’m so glad you’re here. I’m sorry, but I came as soon as I could.”

“Just like you promised,” he says quietly, bringing a hand up to cup her cheek. The same hand he used to kill, however, she doesn’t seem to mind. Her eyelids flutter, and his eyes dart towards her lips, the unspoken question hanging heavily in the air. His thumb brushes over the little mole next to her mouth, and she shudders at the contact.

Not out of fear. This is anticipation, nothing else.

For a split second, he looks past her at the girl’s brother, who suddenly seems to be taking a particular interest in the ceiling. He clearly wants to let them have this moment, or he simply doesn’t want to get in the way of their reunion. As Cas stands there with his hands behind his back, not making any moves to intervene, Treech looks back at her.

“Can I kiss you?” he whispers quietly, ready to break the distance between them. “I’m just asking because...”

June furrows her brows and leans up, brushing her lips against his like she did the night she helped get Sejanus out of the arena. But this time, without the bars, there’s nothing stopping him. He presses his lips against hers hard and almost desperately, cradling her face with one hand while the other rests around the back of her neck.

It has only been days, and yet he kisses her like he has been deprived of affection his entire life. He kisses her with a need and a hunger that makes her feel dizzy and her legs weak.

A shiver runs down her spine again, and she thinks she gets it now—what people always write about in romance novels. Butterflies swarm her stomach, and she grips his shirt tighter, deciding that actions speak louder than words. She needs him to know she still likes him just the same. Vanilla clings to his lips, but she doesn’t pay it any mind.

She wonders if she ever really knew what it meant to be alive before she kissed him. If it were up to her, she would never stop. It’s the one thing that’s keeping her grounded right now. And to her, it feels like kissing him comes as naturally as breathing air.

When they part, her lipstick is smudged, and some of it is clinging to his lips as well. They’re out of breath, both of them, but now it’s Treech’s turn to bury his face against her. He presses his nose into the crook of her neck and inhales deeply, his body finally relaxing. The tension melts off him, and he finally feels like some weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

“I missed you,” June says softly, still a bit flushed from the kissing. “I’m so, so glad you came back... I was so scared.”

Processing her words, he feels goosebumps spreading on his arms when her fingers brush through his messy curls. She probably doesn’t know how comforting her touch is to him, but he almost melts, knitting his eyebrows together so he doesn’t burst into tears. Her words provide a soothing balm for the ache in his body and mind. He feels at peace in her embrace, like everything in the world is right and he’s untouchable.

“Me too,” he admits quietly. “But I had to see you again. I couldn’t have done this without you.”

Once again, June feels nothing but relief. She knows he’s probably holding it in right now; perhaps he’s waiting until they’re truly alone, but it’s reassuring to know he’s at least able to talk to her. She presses a kiss on his temple and smiles when he exhales against her neck, only to feel his lips curve into a smile.

“Are you hurt?” she then asks. “Did they already treat your wounds?”

He hums quietly and reluctantly pulls away from the embrace, but still remains within touching range. “I’ve got a few bruises,” he says before showing her his partly bandaged arm. “They’ve patched up my cuts and the bite.”

Her heart stops and June looks up. “The bite?” she echoes, feeling panic creeping up on her. “The snake got you?”

Treech blinks, watching the way she trails her fingers over the bandage around his wrist. She looks terrified. “Yeah. You didn’t see?” he asks before his tone turns a little bit more playful. “I thought you were keeping your eyes on me, sunshine. How did you miss that?”

Truth be told, he doesn’t feel like joking at all, but he knows it helps for the time being. So much has happened these last couple of hours that he still can’t believe it himself.

“The cameras were pretty bad. We couldn’t even hear what you were saying more than half of the time,” June says with a little shake of her head. “I didn’t know; I’m sorry. I don’t think anyone saw it, though. It was... all happening pretty quickly.”

“I didn’t notice until after either. But it got me,” he says. “If it weren’t for that little shot you gave me..." He swallows thickly and shakes his head.

He says, "I just felt a little bit funny, is all. But the doctor was surprised I wasn’t on the verge of death. If they hadn’t gotten me out within the next hour or so, they said I could’ve been dead. They gave me another shot, though, and said they'd keep an eye on me.”

June frowns, one arm wrapped around him while she leans her head against his chest. If it weren’t for her, he might be dead right now. A feeling of nausea hits her head, and she lets out a shuddering breath, almost tucking herself against him. She’s almost afraid he might slip away from her if she stops touching him.

“You must be in so much pain. And so tired,” she mumbles. She finds herself glancing at the table and raises her eyebrows in surprise when she finds a tray on the table. The main course seems to have been devoured, and the plate is almost squeaky clean. But there’s still a small bowl left, its contents partly untouched. “They already gave you food?”

A slight laugh escapes Treech, making her smile. “I think this is my third serving. But this is nothing compared to your sandwiches,” he says. He sees her surprised look and tucks a strand of hair behind her hair.

Finally, Cas clears his throat. When his sister and her — boyfriend? — Treech, look at him in surprise, he realizes they must’ve forgotten he has been here this entire time and rolls his eyes, placing his hands on his hips.

He feels like he doesn’t know the entire story here. As much as he tried not to look and wanted to give them their privacy, he feels like that wasn’t their first kiss. His sister’s flushed cheeks, the traces of lipstick on his lips—not to mention how the way they touch and kiss comes naturally to them—he has some catching up to do. Just how much did he miss while he was cooped up in Dr. Gaul’s lab?

“You should’ve seen him when I came in here, though, June. He was making a fuss,” Cas says, and although his words are full of teasing intent, the look on his face is more serious than usual. “They made me come here because he refused treatment. He was erratic.”

Her heart tightens at the thought of Treech being surrounded by strangers. Of course, the doctor and the nurses only want to help him, but after everything, she doesn’t blame him for not trusting them. He must’ve felt so alone and scared when they got him out of the arena. Was he waiting for her? The thought of him doubting her promise to come and see her after the Games, even if it might have been temporary, makes her heart clench painfully in her chest.

June blinks, suddenly realizing that her brother wasn’t busy talking to Hilarius or Pup. He was here at the hospital, where she should’ve been. “Why didn’t they just make me come here then? I was waiting the entire time,” she says, hurt written across her face.

Cas shrugs. “Something about you having to talk to Highbottom first. They wanted someone Treech knows here to calm him down and landed on me,” he says. “Apparently Coriolanus had to see Highbottom as well.”

She doesn’t miss the way his expression brightens a little bit. And after what happened in the arena, this catches even Treech’s attention. For the first time since June showed up here, he’s able to fully take his eyes off her.

“What about him?” Treech sounds a little more defensive now. Alone the mention of his name makes his skin crawl and brings back memories of what the mentor did to Bobbin. There’s no way he’ll ever be able to forget. “What’d Blondie do now?”

“He cheated,” Cas says matter-of-factly. “And I let Dr. Gaul know.”

He makes sure not to mention the look of utter delight on Dr. Gaul’s face when he came to her with what was only an accusation back then. There was something more sinister in her eyes than usual when he told her what happened. For some reason, he feels like he proved something to her. Whatever it is, it can’t be good.

Only a woman like that takes joy out of seeing a boy tell on someone he grew up with, even with the risk of getting the other person killed.

June only looks at her brother in fake exasperation. To hear it from Highbottom was one thing, but to have Cas confirm that he ratted Coriolanus out is clearly another. “You caught him? How?” she asks, unable to help her curiosity.

“After Dr. Gaul made that announcement about Felix and the rainbow of destruction, he came to the lab. I was on a break, and mom was helping out with the tank. They were about to send it to the arena,” he explains. “I don’t know why he came, but when I was trying to light my cigarette, I went around the corner because the wind made it impossible. He scared the daylights out of me, but I was able to hide and saw him drop something into the tank.”

She wonders how he told the story without the smoking part because she knows their mother would’ve scolded him endlessly afterwards. Maybe he left that part out, or at least she hopes he did. Funny as it can be sometimes, his unhealthy habits worry her.

“I knew there was something off about that guy,” Treech finally says, grimacing. “I’ve met a lot of people, but he just gave me the creeps. Didn’t like him from the second I saw his pasty face.”

June lets out a laugh, and Cas grins as well. Both twins are relieved that Treech is able to joke. Of course, the knowledge that he’s putting on a mask is right beneath the surface and threatening to spill over, but he keeps it contained. And neither of them wants to be the one to unleash what might follow once it does.

“Have you told him the umbrella story yet? I’m sure he’d love that one,” Cas says, trying to distract Treech further. “The wind was so hard that day, I thought he was going to fly away like a napkin.”

A little smile spreads across Treech’s face, and he snorts. “I haven’t, but I’d love to hear it,” he muses. “What’s gonna happen to him anyway?”

When both boys look at June questioningly, she sighs. “Exilement to the Districts, supposedly. He didn’t say which,” she answers. “As a Peacekeeper, I think. I’m presuming they wouldn’t just send him there like that.”

Treech’s eyes darken. “If he sets a single foot into Seven, I’ll shove it up his—”

His threat, although hypothetical, is cut off when the girl tries to inch closer to him. He’s sure it’s impossible, but something about the way she’s still trying to come closer makes him feel good. It’s like she’s reassuring herself that he’s really there. He squeezes her against him and smiles when she does.

Cas groans both inwardly and outwardly, and Treech grins, while June looks mildly embarrassed. “Are you still hungry? I could get you another serving,” Cas offers, really just wanting an excuse to get out. He really, really doesn’t want to watch them be all lovey-dovey. He knows he helped make this possible, but he’ll live if he doesn’t see it.

Treech looks back at the table, unable to stop himself from smiling, and nods. “That’d be great, actually. I’m starving,” he says, giving June another gentle squeeze and pulling her closer. “Can I get double the custard this time? It’s really good.”

So that’s why he tastes like vanilla.

Cas nods. “I’ll be on it.” He shoots them both a warning look, though it’s only half-hearted, and slips out through the door.

Once the door is closed and they’re alone, Treech’s eyes soften. It’s not that he has anything against her brother; he just really wants to be alone with her. He closes the gap and kisses her again, although a bit softer this time. It’s less rushed but not filled with any less longing.

“And you’re sure you’ll be okay?” June asks when they part briefly. “If you need anything, I can get it for you.”

“I’ve got everything I need right here,” he answers truthfully, and she melts. “Just stay here. I want to see you.”

“But a change of clothes would be great,” he adds after a moment, making her laugh. “And I really, really need to take a shower or a bath. I smell like I took a dive in the sewers.”

June laughs again. “Well, there’s a bathroom right there.” She nods towards the door. “And as for a change of clothes, you could give me yours, and I could wash them again.”

He shakes his head and says, “No, I really want you to stay here with me.” Cupping her cheek and feeling her skin on his, he already feels a lot more at ease. “I don’t want to be all alone in this creepy place.”

She nods understandingly. “You won’t be alone,” she assures him. “I’ll ask Cas. And in the meantime, you can just wear a hospital gown.”

Treech makes a face. “But it’s ugly. And it feels weird not wearing pants,” he says. He sounds like a little boy.

June snorts, “It’s either that or wearing nothing at all.” She nudges him in the side but winces when he lets out a little, pained groan. “Sorry,” she mumbles, embarrassed that she forgot about how much his body must ache.

Shaking his head, he smiles. “I’ll just take the gown then.” He looks over at the gown in question on the bed and sighs. “Can’t be that bad. At worst, I’ll feel like a pretty princess.”

She hums softly, bringing her hand up to cup his cheek as well. She turns his head back to look into his eyes, a storm brewing in those brown eyes she holds so dear. “Are you sure you’re okay? You don’t have to pretend with me,” she says, searching his gaze. “I told you I’m not letting you go through this alone. I’m here for you, alright?”

Treech nods, leaning into her touch. He feels tears building in his eyes, ready to spill, but forces himself to keep them at bay. “Is it okay if we talk about this later?” he asks, almost as if he’s ashamed. “Tonight?”

“You want me to stay here tonight?” She asks softly, and he nods. “I’ll figure something out. Don’t worry, you won’t be alone.”

Treech swallows and takes a deep breath afterwards. “Thank you, sweetheart,” he says, his voice almost hoarse. “I don’t think I can stand being alone right now.”

Her gaze softens. “You won’t be,” she says.

After a moment, she continues, “So, about that bath...”

“I smell that bad, huh?” Treech immediately asks, but there’s no malice in his words. “I get it. I really need to wash up.”

She smiles. “I could wash your hair,” she offers. “It might be a bit difficult with your injuries. I don’t want you to be in pain.”

Not missing the way her cheeks flush, his smile turns into a smirk. “Feels like you’re just trying to get me naked, sunshine,” he teases. “I wasn’t expecting you to be that bold.”

“I—”

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding.”

Admittedly, though, the thought of being pampered right now is almost too tempting.

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

the beginning of snowfall.

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

starting off strong into act III with over 7k words!! pre-edit it was about 5.5k, i got side-tracked <3 but i had to make up for no treech for so long😭😭

i think this started off pretty happily. i mean, snow is far away, treech is alive, june and cas are happy 🙏 it could be worse

and a special shoutout to cas for being my fav snitch. bless him

i'm soooo excited to go further with this!! you guys don't even know. so so excited to expand on treech's family, june-treech, to introduce lamina's brother, and so much more! <33

thank you so much for over 6.7k reads by the way!<333

have a nice monday!!<3

memes!!

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerร  anche

29K 1.1K 27
"take me to the lakes where all the poets went to die" in which a capitol girl falls for her tribute content warnings: swearing, death, violence, men...
3.7K 214 25
- a story of a girl trying to save Sejanus Plinth but he is too busy trying to save everyone else
11.6K 532 11
" i'm in the trees, i'm in the breeze my footsteps on the ground " ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜จ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด : ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ง๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ - ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฐ๐˜ค๐˜ฌ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ซ...
158K 5.2K 90
๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› ๐—ฅ๐—”๐—œ๐—ก ๐—–๐—ข๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐——๐—˜๐—ฆ ๐—ช๐—œ๐—ง๐—› ๐—ฆ๐—ก๐—ข๐—ช โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ Coriolanus Snow is a cold and conniving individual, Valentina Hartwick is su...