Defamation [Neuvillette X Rea...

By Corflos

Justice is not at all what it seems in Fontaine. [Does contain heavy topics] More

Introduction
The Nutcracker
The Wish
Rohrette
The Comedian
A Court's Fool
The Rain
The Juggler
Tides
Waltz
Dramatics
'Not Detective'
Interview
Riot
Stakeout
Press Conference
Detention
Infierno
Purgatory
Beret
The Opportunist
Letters
Delinquent
Milkshake Party
The Limit
Intervention
The Trial
Lovers' Duel
Injustice

Sword

324 13 3
By Corflos

In a humorous sense, Wriothesley felt at ease leaving you under the supervision of Clorinde. He retrieves your sword from confiscated items inventory. With the sword held out of reach his demeanor shifts to one of cautious warning.

"You're only granted access to weapons when on the ring, I don't want to see you causing trouble elsewhere."

"My sword, It's been so long!!"
you gasped, jumping up to snatch it back

"Hm, they gave you a fencing sword?"
Clorinde muttered observantly

"What?"
your head tilts at her comment

"Well there's official swords for duelists and gardes but you seem to have a hobby sword meant for sport."
she points out

Pausing, you glanced down at the sword for closer inspection. Well sure, it's strange how flimsy it is in comparison to other officials and not to mention the subtle eccentricity of your uniform... come to think of it your occupation was created on a whim. Could they have carelessly granted illegitimate items? With how unserious the occupation was percieved the possibility was likely. This only went unnoticed for so long due to your improvision with the things provided, using your cryo vision to enhance the weapon.

She stares at the sword in sublte amusement"
"Interesting display of adaptability but, you hadn't much of a use for it?"

"Not until recently"

"Is this where your adamance to spar stems from?"

"Yes, and I'd be honored to learn from a champion duelist"

She nods at your enthusiasm before positioning into a standard stance awaiting for you to copy the action. Despite her intimidating stoicism she was doing you a big favor and that puts a good image in your books. She started you off with intermediate level moves as you already had some background of experience. Training involves repetition for the skill to improve before advancing to intense levels.

Putting the training into practice she holds her blade up in a challenging manner with stoic eyes as she would any other opponent. Driven by pure relentless determination and pride you stood ground in offense. However just as fighting a champion duelist goes, you'd get as far as tossing a feather into the air before she had your sword out of grasp and you defenseless on the ground. While this in particular was definitely not doing your dignity any favors at the moment, you got back up for another attempt.

Some people lingered around to spectate the fight of anyone foolish enough to challenge such an advanced fighter. Eventually they did grow bored as they can only watch you get easily defeated various times in a spectrum ways. Clorinde herself was finding your resilience to be strange but aspiring. One might not notice this especially within just a couple of hours but you did show improvement in technique and endurance. In fact that might be your strongest suit, the ability to withstand so much for a long period of time because the training came to a pause to due to reasonable exhuast.

"C'mon c'mon I think I got it down this time"
you chimed as she drank some water

"Perhaps that will be all for today, breaks are just as necessary"

You sat besides her,
"I want to seem strong for my trial"

"Do you have a proper lawyer?"

"Ha, are there any? The ones i've met are not suited to defend my honor"

"Hm, have you tried contacting the Spina di Rosula?"
she suggests

"I don't have such connections to reach an organization like that.. do you?"

"Well, I know the current president personally but-"

"Wait- could you put in a word for me? That would honestly provide me a better chance than the actual justice system"

her face falters to an awkward expression
"It might not be appropriate of me to ask given I'm not on the best terms with the president."

your face falls to disappointment
"Oh..."

"However, given the commotion this case has caused, if your trial arises enough skepticism or unanswered questions then she'll likely look into it"

"Helping me after my trial is a bit..."

"Justice isn't always timely and for some it's completely absent"

her words did not provide you any comfort
"How did you end up on rough terms with the president?"

she pauses, it seemed to be a sensitive question
"There is ugliness to my occupation, anyone willing to fight for their pride- innocent or not tend to meet a grave fate. I've slain important figures, you can't attach much sentiment to this job"

Your brows furrow at the explanation that gave your innocent sparring from earlier a darker context. The others must have thought it was ironic of you to challenge a champion duelist given your status as the suspect of a serious crime awaiting trial. However her boundary between personal sentiment and work reminded you of Neuvillette's sturdy impartiality. But, how could you not attach vunerable feelings with how close you've gotten to him only to feel most alone and misunderstood.

With the trial approaching soon, you would finally be allowed back into bright world you have almost forgotten due to spending too much time down at the fortress. The reunion wouldn't be as pleasant at the Opera Epiclese- a place of preformance and 'justice'. Just the mere thought of having to stand in the defendent's balacony against the Hydro archon as plantiff with the final verdict being announced by the Iudex himself felt jarring. This was most definitely not the type of scenario you'd ever imagine yourself to be in, especially with how helpful to the community you have been all this.

-

Despite his title as cheif justice, Neuvillette far from this omniscient figure others make him out to be. Fontaine's justice system is peculiar but he is to respectfully honor the verdict provided by the Oratrice Mecanique d'Analyse Cardinale regardless of personal opinion. The Oratrice itself is a mysterious yet trusted mechanism, having provided accurate judgement thus far. However it seems to utilizes the belief of spectators, scales weighing down dependent on the arguments provided.

This solidifies the need for a defendent to have a proper lawyer, especially against plantiffs like Furina. As archon of justice her words hold eloquent power but her innate desire for excitement often dramatizes the event in which he must ensure she does lose professionalism to the thrill.

It concerning how suspicious things seem to your disfavor, the investigation providing further ammunition against you- making the claims harder to deny. If you are unable to represent yourself clear of suspicion without reasonable explanation to the allegations then you might as well admit to guilt. However if you insist innocence then undeniable proof is needed to testify, it must be something credible. Either way the judgement will be bestowed by the Oratrice and it will reveal the proper outcome to be followed.

These days he spends much time in his office, reviewing all findings and statements provided from the investigation. He can only put off the trial for so long until Furina show impatience and eagerness to begin. Wriothesley is vague in his reports but it seem life in the fortress is not easy to adjust, hopefully you remained focus on the task at hand which is proper defense.

"Ohoho, you brood too much Neuvillette"
the archon waltz in flamboyantly

"This case has been rather consuming"

"The people have been waiting, interest dies too easily if we let such a trial expire. It would look neglectful on our part to wait any longer"
her eyes narrow at him, in subtle examination

"These kinds of things shouldn't be rushed, thus you and the defendent have enough time to prepare and avoid looking foolish"

"Aha, emotions are a pesky thing- I wouldn't want denial to interfere"

"I understand your concern in my personal affairs however I intend to remain professional, I recommend you do the same."
he warns her not to cross any boundaries

She prevents herself from pressing any further into his personal life to avoid a stern lecture she has no interest in. He may reserve his thoughts and biases all he wants to appear professional but she knows he isn't heartless. Nope! She is well aware of how this case deeply preturbs him. That however provides her with unease, as a figure of authority she has a reputation to maintain herself. While the evidence pointing to you allows her to feel confident and certain to stand up there and preform- it would be most humilating to be proven wrong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 3.5K 31
After the Hydro Archon is dethroned from her position, she now lives peacefully as a human that goes by the name Furina. The big issue is that Furin...
1.8K 45 11
♡ 𝗡𝗘𝗨𝗩𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗘 x fem reader ♡ Y/n L/n, Lady Furina's roommate and best friend - ------------------------------♡...
15.2K 520 24
𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐃 ➳ 𝗹𝘆𝗻𝗲𝘆 𝘅 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗿 ❝ you 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 want me ❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 two members of the fatui have to pretend to be in a relationshi...
4.2K 163 12
A Sumeru scholar Y/n L/n visits Fontaine for a holiday and is unexpectedly recruited as a spy, where she witnesses the intrigue of the court. While l...