Devoted To You || Gilbert Bly...

By RenAintNoSaint

"๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฌ๐ก ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐๐ž๐ฏ๐จ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž." _______________... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐“Œ๐‘œ
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐“‡๐‘’๐‘’
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII

LXIII

368 11 5
By RenAintNoSaint

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Freedom of speech. A noun. Meaning, the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint.
_________________________

I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about going back to school. My departure was quite sudden, without even saying goodbye to anyone. Bash tried to reassure me by mentioning Anne's recent troubles, which oddly enough provided some solace. Hopefully, the focus will shift away from me because of it.

"Are you okay?" Gilbert nudges my shoulder gently as we make our way to the schoolhouse. "You've been lost in your thoughts all morning."

"It's nothing, really." I reply with a shrug.

Gilbert notices my hesitation and offers a reassuring smile. "You know, it's okay to feel nervous."

"I know but..." I take in a deep breath. "I want this Billy and Josie stuff to be over. It brings too much torment to my mind."

Feeling a surge of empathy, Gilbert gently pulls me towards him and plants a comforting kiss on the top of my head. His gesture sends a wave of warmth through me, easing the knots of tension in my stomach.

"I understand," he murmurs softly. "We'll face it together, alright? You're not alone."

As Gilbert and I step into the schoolhouse, the usual lively hum of chatter is conspicuously subdued. The familiar faces of our classmates welcome us, yet their typical exuberance is tempered by an aura of expectancy. Gilbert gallantly removes my coat and offers to hang it up, his gesture infused with an air of chivalry.

I settle beside Diana and survey the room. "Why does everyone seem so off today?"

"It's good to see you're back," Diana replies with a hint of amusement. "Are you planning on staying for good this time?"

"That's the plan," I affirm with a smile. Gilbert leans casually against my desk, his expression teasing. Diana's eyes widen, and a mischievous smile dances across her lips. "I'll fill you in later."

Miss Stacy, our cherished teacher, stands at the front of the room with a solemn countenance, her usual warmth replaced by gravity.

"Good morning, everyone," she begins, her tone tinged with seriousness. "Please, find your seats or remain standing—whichever you prefer."

As we settle in, a hushed silence descends, broken only by the soft rustle of papers and the creak of wooden chairs. The tension hangs thick in the air, and I exchange a concerned glance with Diana, silently preparing ourselves for the impending news.

"First and foremost, it's delightful to have you back, Ada," Miss Stacy acknowledges with a warm smile, though I urge her to continue. "I wish I had better news." She proceeds to explain the new regulations imposed on the Avonlea Gazette since Anne's recent... story. "I believe our best course of action is to adhere to their guidelines for the time being, and perhaps, in the future, they may reconsider."

"No one's forcing them to read the paper," Gilbert asserts, and a chorus of agreements fills the room. "What are the new rules, anyway?" Miss Stacy regretfully hands over the paper. As Gilbert reads over the rules, he lets out a scoff. "The weather, hat fashions, farm stories, but no references to animal husbandry," he recites incredulously. I can't help but chuckle.

"It's good they fired her," Moody declares.

Diana's head snaps in his direction as she inquires, "What did you say?"

"If Anne were here, she'd just say: 'Use your imaginations!' And then find some way to ruin what's left of the newspaper for the rest of us."

"Please, it was ruined before Anne's column," I interject with a scoff.

Gilbert then adds, "And let's not forget where all this started. It started with Billy Andrews disrespecting Josie Pye."

"That's right," I nod, glancing back at Moody. "Anne is the first person to write about something that actually matters. Did she execute it poorly? Absolutely."

"Anne should've left well enough alone," Tillie shakes her head.

"Anne stood up for a person who suffered cruelty," Gilbert snaps. "That person could've easily been you."

"It could have been any of us," I add.

Gilbert grabs Anne's newspaper and reads aloud, "Women matter on their own, not in relation to a man." He scans the room. "Who here disagrees?" Everyone remains silent. "We all deserve the right to bodily autonomy and to be treated with respect and dignity. To say 'stop' and be heard; instead of pushed, derided, and told that a man knows more about our basic rights and desires than we do." He stands and approaches Moody. "What do you think, Moody? Do you know more about the contents of Ruby's mind than she does?"

"I... barely know one thing," Moody admits.

"I certainly know more than that!" Ruby replies proudly.

"Women are not made whole by men. Women are made whole the moment they enter this world," Gilbert asserts, giving me a reassuring smile. "You know she'd stand up for any one of you. Even in spite of what you're saying about her, she'd do what was right."

"That's who she is," I admit. A clattering sound from the mud room causes us all to turn towards the door.

Anne stands at the doorway, clutching several wooden slabs in her hands, her expression weighted with guilt. "I know I'm not your favorite person right now..."

"No, Anne, not at all," Diana reassures her, hurrying over to envelop her in a comforting embrace.

"We're sorry!" Ruby's voice quivers with remorse.

"We didn't understand!" Tillie's admission is tinged with regret.

"We're sorry," Ruby echoes, casting a meaningful glance at Moody. "You shouldn't have ever been blamed."

Anne shifts uncomfortably, her gaze flickering between her friends. "Well, I came to say I, uh..." She pauses, gathering her thoughts. "I have enough of these for everybody. I have a plan."

"Oh, good, because Miss Stacy's plan is terrible," Ruby quips, drawing laughter from all of us, even eliciting a smile from Miss Stacy.

***

While everyone went to make signs at Green Gables, Gilbert escorted me to Josie's house.

I don't like Josie Pye. Not in the slightest, not even a little bit. But I know what she is going through. When it happened to me I longed for someone to talk to. To tell me that everything is going to be okay.

"What are you going to say to her?" Gilbert asks as we approach the house.

I sigh and I try to go over everything in my mind, "I have no idea. I'm hoping that it just flows out of me naturally."

"You'll know what to say. Don't worry." He pats my back as I walk towards the front door.

With a deep breath, I lift my hand to knock on the door, steeling myself for the encounter ahead. The door swings open, revealing a maid. I tell her I'm here to speak to Josie.

When Josie comes before me, her expression is guarded and wary.

"I thought you left." She says, analyzing me.

"I did. But I came back... again." I mumble as a strange tension hangs in the air.

"What do you want?" she snaps, her tone sharp and dismissive.

I flinch at her hostility but quickly gather my composure. "I wanted to apologize for what happened at the fair. I'm sorry no one was the to protect you," I begin, my voice gentle and empathetic. "I just wanted to say that I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to. I know how difficult it can be to go through something like this."

Josie scoffs, rolling her eyes. "Save your pity, Ada," she retorts, her words dripping with disdain. "I don't need sympathy from someone like you."

I falter for a moment, taken aback by her coldness. Josie gives me a cold look before she tries to slam the door shut in my face. I slap a hand on the door before she can shut it. Her eyes widen as I huff. "Look I understand that you hate me. Alright? I hate you too. But that doesn't mean that I think you deserved what he did to you." I begin, my voice steady despite the turmoil within. "A few years ago, I... I was assaulted by a man, too."

Josie's eyes widen in surprise, her hostility momentarily replaced by shock. "What... what do you mean?" she stammers, her guard faltering.

"I mean that I understand what it's like to feel violated, to feel like you can't trust anyone," I continue, my voice softening with empathy. "But I also know that you don't have to go through this alone. I had to and it was awful. So I'm sorry that I can't stand by and watch you suffer."

Josie is silent, her gaze flickering with a mix of emotions. Then, unexpectedly, she nods, her expression softened by a glimmer of gratitude.

As I walk away from Josie's house, my heart feels heavy with the weight of our conversation. Despite her initial hostility, I can't help but feel a sense of relief knowing that I've reached out to her, even if it was met with resistance at first.

Gilbert waits for me at the edge of the pathway, his expression unreadable as he watches me approach. "How did it go?" he asks softly, his eyes filled with concern.

I let out a sigh, feeling drained from the emotional exchange. "It was... difficult," I admit, my voice barely above a whisper. "But I think I got through to her, at least a little bit."

He nods, his gaze lingering on mine. "You did a brave thing, Ada," he says sincerely, reaching out to gently squeeze my shoulder. "I'm proud of you."

A warmth spreads through me at his words, a fleeting moment of comfort amidst the turmoil of the past few days. "Thank you," I murmur, grateful for his support.

***

"They wouldn't... not come? After all this?" Anne turns to Gilbert and I, gasping for air.

Today we are standing up for what is right. We are awaiting our friends on the school steps with the Cuthbert's.

"Have faith." Gilbert sighs before adding, "Just a suggestion. Not telling you what to do." Anne and I snicker at his comment.

That's when we hear Miss Stacy riding down the road. Anne giggles in delight. The girls and boys emerge from the woods and start heading our way. We wave and welcome them.

I gasp when I see Prissy Andrews, "Jane said you were doing something absolutely daft that she totally and fundamentally disagreed with." A smile slowly spreads across her face. "So I had come. May I join you?"

"The more, the merrier." Anne giggles before turning to our group before us. "Our moment is near! Are you ready to fight for what's right?"

"Yeah!!" We chant.

"Got yours?!" Anne holds up the white handkerchiefs.

"Here, Prissy. I brought extra." Miss Cuthbert hands one to Prissy.

"And you can use Diana's board. She won't be joining."

I furrow my brows at Anne, "She won't?"

"Alright, let's make some noise!" She yells causing everyone to start chanting, I shrug before joining them.

As we walk down the path we chant loudly and invite people to join us at town hall.

"What in blazes is going on here?" 1/4 wrinkly old men grumble as we make our way into the building.

"Excuse me, there is a meeting in session!" Mrs. Lynde calls as she gives us a worried look.

"If you don't mind!" The minister grumbles.

"Good morning." Anne smiles tauntingly as we take our places behind the curtain. "What you are about to witness is an organized action."

"This is an outrage, that's what it is! How dare you—"

"They have a right to their say!" Marilla yells. After Gilbert and I have helped everyone get in their spots we come in front of the curtain.

"We are not here to provoke!" Anne pauses and I chuckle as I spot Josie Pye in the crowd. Anne brings her up before resuming her speech.

"We are here to be heard." She holds tightly onto Josie's hand.

"Even though... you tried to silence our voices," We grab the curtain and pull it open. "—well, we have a message for you."

They step forward and our signs read "Freedom of speech is a human right." Everyone is silent as they read and try to understand our message.

"Now come along now, that's quite, quite enough." The minister makes his way up and tries to pry the boards out of their hands.

"Get down from that..." the flash from the photograph being taken causes them to stop.

Gilbert makes his way towards the minister."Thanks for the suggestions." He then rips up the paper and throws it to the ground.

"Miss Stacy, control your children!" The minister seethes.

"They are not children." Miss Stacy steps forward and looks to us with a proud expression. "And they are not out of control." Everyone cheers for us, and we feel accomplished.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

409K 12K 56
โDo you love her Gil?โž โžThat's the thing, I don't love ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ. I'm not sure the girl I do love loves me back.โž [Anne with an E- Season 1-3] {Gilbert...
125K 3.9K 21
Anne with an "E" fanfiction ( Season 4 ) Anne and Gilbert navigate their emotions and the idea of seeing each other after such an abrupt separation...
988 47 6
While Anne wonders about her own feelings for Gilbert, they spend much of the day together at the County Fair. There will be some unexpected incident...
171K 2.8K 23
You have lived in Avonlea your whole life. Your best friend is Gilbert Blythe and a girl named Anne comes to Avonlea and your relationship with Gilbe...