Timeless

By Faithfullynoted

Kelsey Thomas just finished her degree in social media/digital marketing. Leaving behind an abusive relations... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 2

58 1 5
By Faithfullynoted

As he pushes the button on the elevator, I try not to notice the way his white t-shirt is tucked into the front of his jeans. I can't take my eyes away. Biting my lower lip, I do what I can to avoid his intense gaze.

When did it get so warm in here?!

I'm totally out of my element here with him. Shifting slightly, I take a deep breath, exhaling slowly looking at the ceiling.

Will we ever get to where we are going? I think I might melt before then!

I tuck the hair that had been sticking to my face behind my ears, trying to find something to busy hands.

"No reason to be nervous," he says, leaning against the elevator wall, his arms crossed over his chest as he holds the papers and books. 

Me, nervous? Never. 

"I'm not nervous, and I do appreciate the second chance." sounding more confident than I feel, I turn to look out at the city, thankful for the glass elevator walls. The building is beautiful, and I say as much to him, hoping to make small talk and distract my thoughts. 

"It's quite the view," he says quietly glancing my way, looking down at the papers in his hand. The elevator finally dings at the top floor. 

Finally! 

Feeling relieved as we step out of the elevator, I notice him glance back to make sure I'm behind him.

Who is this guy? Office on the top floor? Casual dress. Walks around freely. 

"What is your name again?" I ask as we walk down the hallway. 

He stops and turns around, looking at me as if I should know who he is.  He appears slightly amused. Shrugging his shoulders, he keeps walking down the hall, "Weston."

Hmm. Maybe I don't know him then. That name doesn't ring any bells.

He is silent as we make our way to his office. My palms are sweaty from the tension, and I should have eaten something this morning because my hands are a shaky mess.

His office has the most spectacular view of the city which can be seen with the floor-to-ceiling windows. Dropping the papers he carried upstairs onto the desk, he walks to the front and stops, leaning against it. His arms crossed in front of his chest. This is his favorite stance. Smiling, I quickly look away before he notices. The last thing I need is him asking me questions and having to come up with answers as to why I'm thinking about him and dirty thoughts about stances.

I need to get out more. This is not the place.

I glance his way as I feel him watching me. The tension heavily rising in the room again. He is rather intimidating but still so sexy, distracting actually.

Still nervous from our encounter downstairs, and the elevator ride I don't want to sit, afraid that I might melt into a puddle in front of him.

Being this close to him is overwhelming me slightly. Okay, more than slightly and it's throwing me off. This isn't how I expected this to go. They don't exactly prepare you for an interview like this in college.

Catching myself nervously playing with my hair, I take a deep breath.

What is happening to me? It was that damned book! Why would they put stuff that spicy out on the table anyhow?! This was a media firm for God's sake, not a publishing firm!

Flushing, thinking about the book and desperately hoping that he isn't paying attention, I gaze at him. He is intently staring at me with those eyes of his. My heart starts racing. My thoughts scatter.

Fuck. So much for focus.

I look out at the view of the city. I have to get it together if I am going to get this job. It's why I'm here, after all. Not for men or a booty call, but because I need this to work out. When I made this move, I told myself a year ago that I would do whatever it took to move forward. The time is now. This guy no matter the attraction can't be a distraction.

Taking a deep breath, I try again, hoping my heart rate slows enough to get through this. "So, Weston?" I laugh lightly and it becomes a nervous mess. 

He smiles at me saying nothing. God, why is he making me so nervous? Not that I'm well versed when it comes to men or interviews, but I can hold a conversation. This was ridiculous.

"How did you get such a fancy office?" I ask, motioning toward the view. It isn't any of my business, but I am curious. 

"I might know the boss." he smirks "You should sit" he suggests, but I can hear in his tone that he wants to move things along. I don't blame him. Unfortunately, being told what to do is not my thing.

"Hmm," I say and reluctantly sit in front of him in one of the chairs. Glancing up at him, I now notice the tattoos on his arm, all black and white. They are on his forearm and biceps, and I can't help but wonder where else. I resist the urge to reach out and touch them with my fingertips. I clear my throat nervously, my face burning with embarrassment at my thoughts.

Focus, Kelsey, focus.

Sitting down is a good idea. I'm a little dizzy.

"So, what brought you to the city? I see that you are from Pennsylvania. That's a pretty big change." he asks. 

Sitting across from him as he stands leaning against his desk, I look past him out the window and take a moment to answer. I shift uncomfortably. These are the things that I am not ready to share. It has been a year since I've left Derek. I had gotten a place and finished school before moving to New York. Flashbacks of my life with Derek and all of the hell he put me through come to the front of my mind.

I know that I am taking a while to respond. He is watching me, and I can't honestly say how long I sit there in silence, lost in thought. 

"Sorry," I say quietly, smiling sweetly back at him. "I needed a new start. I have always wanted to move to the city. I finished school and I figured, why not now?" As I finish my sentence my gaze meets his. As if trying to read me, he searches me with his eyes. My heart is racing again. It's as if he can see into my soul. The tension in the room is thick. I swallow hard and hope he doesn't notice.

Finally, he nods his head, as if he accepts my answer. "So, you like to read?" he suggests, breaking the tension as he hands me the book I had been reading on the couch.

Flushing once more, I stammer, "Oh gosh. I'm sorry" I laugh; my embarrassment obvious. 

"Bit of a spicy read for midday" he shrugs laughing, "Seriously though, I'm not sure how it made its way to the table. I will agree though. Good read."

God, I can't believe what is happening right now. How embarrassing?

Standing up, because I knew that I was already doomed. "I apologize for wasting your time, Weston. Truly." Walking forward I lay the book on his desk and start for the door, just wanting to find the closest exit. I don't think I can feel any more mortified. 

Taking Alec by surprise when I stand up to exit, he stands. I'm normally someone who doesn't give up so easily. I'm also not in the business of being a laughing matter to someone, this is humiliating. 

Blocking my exit before I can go, "Kelsey, sorry, Miss Thomas, look, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I'm not trying to embarrass you or anything. I'm just joking around, hoping that you will relax. I don't mean anything by it. Really."

Reaching out to gently touch my arm, I suck in a breath as I feel the electricity from his touch. He must feel it too because he lets his fingers linger on my arm, brushing them softly across my skin. The feeling is exquisite.

It is hard to focus when he is this close. 

"Umm. You can call me Kelsey." is all I can get out as our gazes meet again, and it is barely a whisper. Can he feel this too?  

Looking down at his fingers on my skin, his hands are even beautiful. Unable to resist them this close, taking my fingers, I trace the outline of the vine on his wrist. Sucking in a breath, Alec squeezes his eyes shut, I feel the energy surge between us, and it tears me back to reality.

"Oh God! I am so sorry! That was so inappropriate. I honestly don't know what is wrong with me today." 

He laughs. It is such a beautiful sound. A sound that I could get used to.

"Listen, hey, it's okay," he says quietly, trying to calm me. "Please. Come back in and sit down. How about we blame the book, which honestly, I'll have moved...maybe to a safer place" he smirks as he leads us back to the chairs in front of his desk. 

"Away from the general public, maybe," I murmur aloud, but it is meant as an inward thought.

He smiles, shaking his head. 

God, I need to sit down. I am so overwhelmed I'm ready to combust.

"So, you graduated from PSU, got a degree in Journalism and Communication, and decided to come to the city. I'm intrigued," he says easily. 

Yes, let's get back to the interview.

"Yeah," finally relaxing, but he is still too close. I need to focus on this interview. "I am loving the city so far. It's beautiful, and, a lot different than PA, for sure. I was intrigued by Lockhard Media. I watched a presentation by someone from Lockhard a few years ago at school and was just in awe of this company. I knew then that I wanted to work here".

I notice Weston shift uncomfortably when I mention the presentation. Interesting.

"Blown away by one presentation and knew you wanted a job? Why social media?" he asks, taking the papers off his desk without looking up. His mood shifts.

"I chose my degree in media long before I sat through that presentation," I say pointedly, cocking my head to the side. I had the overwhelming urge to go for a run. It is my go-to in stressful times, and I make a mental note to do just that when I get to my apartment.

Before he can say anything else, I add, "You know, I'm not sure what I said that upset you, but I have known what I wanted for a long time. I have been through a lot the last few years," my voice full of emotion, and a newfound confidence.

"I came here because I know I can do this job. I was at the top of my class and worked hard to get here. The reasons I came to this city are frankly none of your business. If you don't have anything else for me, I'm going to go," I say, and stand in front of him. My arms are across my chest now. I don't know if he is trying to intimidate me, but at this point, I'm over it. He is being a jerk now.

He looks at me blankly, not fully expecting my rant. No emotion showing on his handsome face. He looks down at the papers in his hand then tosses them on his desk, turns back to me, and nods slowly.

"You're right," he says flatly and shrugs. 

God, this guy is like night and day. 

"You can head back downstairs, they can get you set up with HR." What the hell?

"Wait? Does that mean that I got the job then?" I ask. 

He laughs lightly and nods. "Yes, Kelsey. Welcome to Lockhard Media."

"Kelsey?" I mock laughingly. "I was Miss Thomas a moment ago," I add sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

Shaking his head, and smirking, "Let me show you to the elevators and Chloe can direct you to HR to get you all set up for Monday." he says again, ignoring my comment, leading me out of his office. 

Ugh. Chloe again. But on the bright side, maybe it won't be so bad once I start working here and who knows, maybe we can become friends? I could use some friends. I haven't made any since coming to the city. Not that I've been here long.

"Perfect. Thank you so much for this opportunity." I say excitedly, ignoring his mood swings. I am too excited anyhow. We say our goodbyes and I head downstairs to see the she-devil, Chloe.

It was exactly as I had hoped. It was the beginning of a new journey. A new city. A new job, and hopefully new friends.

Sighing,I lay my head back against the cool glass in the elevator.

If I can stay away from Weston, everything will go as planned.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Continue to Chapter 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.6K 354 16
After Kelsey gets her heart broken by the love her life, Julian Edelman, she picks herself up to follow her dreams of becoming a singer & a model. Sh...
3.5K 216 44
In an attempt to find love, Harry takes interest in Diana, but even more so in her ex-boyfriend, Louis. As Louis changes Harry's way of viewing the w...
515K 11.4K 28
Alexa is a 23 year old living in Boston, with a definite past. She fell in love in high school to a boy she never thought she could replace. Unfortun...
11.5M 175K 36
Kelsey Mays knows everything there is to know when it comes to loving a bad boy. They're uncaring jerks who will leave you brokenhearted and alone wi...