Diamond Hearts (Volume I & II)

By Sonali61

"I see nothing that you can offer me," She said eyeing him head to toe. There was a clear hint of dismissal i... More

Prologue
Character Aesthetics (Volume I)
Volume I
1. Clubs and Refusals
2. Drunken
3. The Drive
4. Besties
5. Encounters and Banters
6. Nicknames and care
7. The Meeting
8. A Perfect Sunday
9. Celebrity?
10. Ointment and Bandages
11. The Dental Fears
12. Quarrels and Realization
13. The Dinner
14. Promises
15. Him?
16. Steps
17. New Bonds
18. With you
19. The offer
20. The Domino effect
21. Surges
22. Haven't you?
23. Like couples?
24. Sweet and sour
25. Reveries
26. Dancing
27. Like a soothing to my aches
28. Stay
29. Mirror
30. Because I need to say it
31. Was it a mistake?
32. Expect the unexpected
33. Was it fate?
34. Why did you?
35. When we finally talked
36. For us
37. Snow fights and laughter
38. In my dreams
39. Like a tickling time bomb
40. Blasts: Before and after
Character Aesthetics (Volume II)
Volume II
41. Goodbye Chicago?
42. The Cloudy Sky
43. Princess moments?
45. Confronting him

44. Sweet Escaped

89 10 90
By Sonali61

Dedicated to @mightypanda300

Mahil :

It was fifty past seven when someone knocked on my door. Jay, the so-called servant assigned to me by Mr. obnoxious, intellectual owl, was a young lad in his early twenties just like Frey.

Jay, Frey. Oh, that rhymed!

"Dinner will be served in the next twenty minutes. You're requested to hurry towards the dining place, sir," He stood at doorstep facing the ground, palms gently placed over one another.

"What's the rush? It's just a dinner. Perhaps, there's ample time left," I shrugged. After conversing with Kuhoo as I tried to rest, jetlag hit severely and I couldn't get a single wink. Throbbing pain in head due to hours of journey, change in environment, lack of proper food and as if all this wasn't enough, nausea was saying a hi to the floors of my mouth, tongue and throat. Basically, I was such a mood.

"Senior Mr. Bhardwaj is very particular about time, sir." He uttered in an emotionless tone, eyes still not meeting mine.

"So oldie basically wants everyone to lead a mechanical life. Because his one is no fun," I commented and his eyeballs almost popped out as he glanced at me for a second before going back to ever favorite marbled floor. Sighing, I added, "Okay, let me just grab my phone."

"Senior Mr. Bhardwaj strictly orders that no one should bring cellphones in dining area. Use of all digital devices is restricted during the dinner," Jay murmured in same tone.

What kind of dictatorship was that?

"Five minutes are already over, sir. You are requested to -"

Raising a palm in air signaling him to stop, clicking the tongue I dismissed, "Yeah got it. Lead the way."

Nodding humbly, he started walking towards one of the glass elevators on left side. Despite taking a tour of this mansion, I was still confused about floors and everything. The place literally had seven elevators, five for use of family members, two for staff and others. They were five just people, why these guys needed a twenty storied building, answer to that was still an enigma or maybe I knew.

Show. Off.

"Why don't you talk normally to me, Jay? Do I appear like an uptight individual?" I asked as we entered the lift and he pressed eighth floor.

His tone was the same, "No, sir. Senior Mr. Bhardwaj -"

Reflexively my palms covered both ears as I intervened, "Good Lord, what's with this 'Senior Mr. Bhardwaj'? The man has a name right?"

"Yes, sir. But nobody calls him by his name." Jay nodded politely. I chortled.

Nobody, except for his favorite grandson.

On reaching the eighth floor, I came face to face with Ananya and Nitya as our elevators opened at the same time. Hiding behind her mother, the toddler meekly peeked at me ducking the head, slowly opening one eye. But finding me already looking at her, the little angel gasped and went into hiding, again.

I chuckled sauntering towards them. Bending over my knees, I smiled forwarding a hand, "Hey there! I think we did not get a proper introduction. I'm -"

"I know who you are. But I'm not talking to you." Mumbling in a babyish voice, she looked sideways with puffed cheeks.

I stared at her both confused and amused.

Folding her arms over that small belly, she glared at me, "Whenever Adi mamu lies to me his ears turn pink. He was tired. You troubled him a lot and you did not get me any chocolates, right Mahil?"

Oh I mistook. She was no angel.

This little girl was devil.

"Nitya!" Ananya warned and her daughter glanced at me grumpily. Then she made a hasty retreat towards Adi in the dining hall screaming, "Mamu!"

He picked her up and tickled the baby girl. She giggled making him laugh along. Oldie's lift dinged. The laughing duo hushed placing finger on their lips and sat silently on adjacent chairs meanwhile I watched the whole exchanged in astonishment.

"Sorry for that," Adi's sister whispered.

"Its fine, Ananya." I shrugged.

Opening and closing the mouth she stared at me gob smacked, "Ananya? Oh, no. No. This is so basic. It's 'Di' for you."

I frowned, "I actually have never referred to anyone as that."

"Then start from today, Mahil. Call me Di," She smiled before walking ahead.

Standing frozen at my place, I uttered the word to know how it sounded rolling out on my tongue, "Di?"

I enunciated with a more endearing tone, "Diii? Nah."

Rolling the eyes, throwing my arms in air dramatically to get the feel, I tried again, "Dii! Right! Diii!"

"What're you doing young man?" Senior Mr. Bhardwaj's voice resonated throughout the place as he glared at me in an outlandish manner. Coughing vigorously, I looked at the ceiling.

Dear mother, did I just make a fool out of myself?

"Bring him water." Grandfather ordered.

"Oh no, I am fi-" I coughed again before clearing my throat, "I'm totally fine, Mr. Bhardwaj. You go ahead."

Grandfather glared at me while servant standing behind him appeared like he had seen a ghost. As I turned around, I found everyone staring at us in anticipation. Raising an eyebrow, I ducked animatedly at everyone. But they continued their staring game.

What? Did I do something wrong?

Apologies drama mandal, this human is out of practice of 'Living with a family' for almost a decade now.

"You first."

"Sorry?" I uttered dubiously.

"You go first." He ordered in a tone of dismissal, vision set unwaveringly on dining table.

"Oh. Okay..." Glancing at his side profile, I nodded before sauntering inside the grand dining hall. To say it was huge would be an understatement, expensive crystal chandeliers, intricate designs, a humungous dining table sufficient for hosting thirty guests at once, lavish Italian furniture, exotic dishes of multiple cuisines, premium sets of silver cutlery with spoons and forks of every size and shape, plates, bowls, even salt, pepper sprinklers were made of silver and gold.

Repeat with me ladies and gentlemen - Showww offff.

Attendants started serving the plates. Grand hall was filled with silence as senior Mr. Bhardwaj entered and took up the chair of family head. There wasn't a single sound other than blunted noises of utensils being moved against dining table as different cuisines were served one by one. Even the devil reincarnated and mini-devil beside him did not utter a word. Amount of solitude was so much that it was starting to affect my senses culminating a nervous attack. To break the ice, I mumbled, "Is it some occasion today?"

Or do you people creep around like this on daily basis?

"This is just a small feast to welcome you, Mahil beta," Adi's mother smiled. I glanced at the man in control of everything. He showed no signs of annoyance on Suhasini's words which in turn meant she was loved and respected by everyone including Mr. Shrinivas Bhardwaj being 'Laxmi' of this household.

As a servant proceeded towards me, serving fancy red curry, I asked, "What's this?"

"Rogan Josh," He answered.

"Huh?" I looked at him confounded.

Unable to give further explanation, attendant glanced at the head chef who initiated, "It's a popular aromatic red curry originated in Kashmiri. Immaculate red color is due to the use of Kashmiri red chilies and saffron. Basic ingredient may be different region to region but this one is made from perfectly cut fresh mutton and then -"

"From what?" My head shot at chef, horrified.

"Mutton sir..."

Cough. Cough. Cough. Cough. Cough.

I coughed vigorously, covering my mouth with both the palms and got up inadvertently in spur of the moment. Realization dawned upon Adi's face. Glancing at his mother he muttered, "Shit. He's vegetarian. I forgot to mention."

Let us cut down the efforts of going to the market and buying that book.

Yes, you're thinking right. Someone get me my cellphone!

OKAY GOOGLE, search 404 ways of killing your girlfriend's ex-boyfriend ASAP.

One gasp led to another and once again dining hall fell into the famous Silence. Others earlier clueless to this piece of information had varied expressions but Mr. Shrinivas Bhardwaj was utterly unapologetic.

"Take a sit." He dictated.

Bobbing their heads, all other members signaled me to follow whatever he said. I sighed obeying to the command but gave him an irked glance.

"Vegetarian, after living all your life in USA?" Grandfather questioned in a no nonsense tone. Impertinent attitude of his whole demeanor made me want to snarl a derogatory remark but then my mother's thoughts came to his rescue.

Taking a long breathe, calming the audacious replies inside, I sat steadfast and arched the neck to meet his eyes, "Yes, vegetarian. Because my mother was one."

"Your m..moth.." He faltered. And then I saw it. A crack on the steel of exterior, striking inlet of nascent emotion emerging on that old, wrinkled face before it was gone the next second. He gulped as if a lump had formed in his throat, ate a piece of cutlet with fork, breathing at the same time in most subtle way possible. And like that the impertinent senior Mr. Bhardwaj was back.

I continued, "Since my childhood, mother always-"

"Eat." He vociferated.

"Huh?"

"Everyone eat." Grandfather looked at others. Family members resumed dinner catching up to warning in that voice, none of them raising their heads from the plates. Then Mr. Self-proclaimed dictator's vision landed on a lowly life that was me. "Discard it. Get him a new plate. Serve only veg cuisines."

Voila. That's the longest I've heard him talking.

As much egoistically as he announced 'Serve only veg Cuisines.' The plate in front of me contained only one veg c-u-i-s-i-n-e.

Any guesses?

Right. Khichdi!

Khichdi. Khichdi. And Khichdi. Alright, a salad of cucumber, tomato slices, too. It was nothing like Kuhoo's one. I could ask for a bread jam or roti with chutney, but demanding that on a dining table served with multiple cuisines might bring disastrous embarrassment, so I kept mum. I didn't wish to put another shit show for entertaining Mr. Intellectual owl who had been enjoying it already.

So much for being a vegetarian.

Dear mother, tell your father to feed me better.

Everyone departed to their respective rooms finishing the food. Jay helped me to reach guest floor after the oh-so-fancy dinner. I took mental notes of directions, lifts, floors, and other details.

Soon the clock hit twelve thirty. Night was silent, both outside and inside the mansion, so much quietude that it felt even crickets obeyed senior Mr. Bhardwaj's orders in this territory.

Only if throbbing in my head could calm down too. Closing the eyes, taking long breathes and counting hundred sheep in mind, I attempted to sleep. Correction, t-r-y-i-n-g to count hundred sheep, because every time I completed till seventy either Kuhoo's thoughts came or this stupid headache roared. On top of that my stomach was half-empty. After countless attempts of white fluffy sheep, I gave up.

As desire to eat a midnight desert consumed me, I sauntered towards lift and pressed number eight. Lights were turned off both in dining area and kitchen. Fantastic, even servants were sleeping and here I was hoping to find some snacks in luxurious four-door-smart-refrigerator which I had seen during the dinner time.

Walking in, I fumbled with the switch board for a few moments before my fingers found the correct button. Opening the upper two doors, I looked into content and my orbs glittered landing on a particular shelf.

Freakin Freakin Awesome.

Everybody! Sing along with me. Check. Check. Beatboxing anyone?

What's there in a fridge?...... Freezer!

What's there in a freezer?.... Ice-cream!

Repeat!

What's there in a fridge?...... Freezer!

What's there in a freezer?.... Butterscotch!

And?.........

"Dark Chocolate, Blueberry, Blackberry,

And???... Rosemary!" I sang aloud, doing a happy dance, rhyming words and mental beatboxing automatically creating a rhythm in my body.

I twirled on the heels to get a bowl and spoon from adjacent shelf, dancing to tunes of my mind, still singing the song.

"What's there in the fridge?

Ice-cream!

Dark chocolate, Blueberry, Blackberry,

And???...." Holding the bowl like a cap, acing a graceful moonwalk, I swiftly reached in front the refrigerator. Opening it again, before I could sing the last word of my self-composed song, I heard, "Rosemary!"

Shit. A shiver ran down my spine. Was this place haunted or something? No, no. It had to be jetlag. My legs didn't give up. So while taking out desert from blackberry tub, I sang, "What's there in the fridge?"

"Iisszz- cream!" Faint words fell on my ears.

"What the fuck?" I looked around alert.

"Hawww... Bad word, Mahil," Babyish voice was clearer this time. Found it! Behind the left corner of this four-door-thingy, there hid a little devil.

Meticulously placing my bowl on the kitchen counter, I stood in front of her, narrowing the eyes, hands on hips. Realizing that she was caught, Nitya gave out her cutest toothy grin.

Oh well. That could melt anyone's heart.

"Are we playing hide and seek?" I whispered in a babyish tone. She clicked her tongue, shrugging the shoulders, trying to act cool.

"Then why were you hiding?" I asked.

"I was... I was..." She looked here and there scratching her head. "I was... Offo, Mahil, why should I tell you? It's a... It's a... Secret!" Nitya smiled sheepishly.

"A secret? What is this secret?" I raised my eyebrows in a spurious suspicion while tapping an index finger on the chin.

After a long confused session of animated glances between me and the mighty ice-cream bowl, she finally had a Eureka moment when her eyes sparkled with naughty innocence, "I'll tell you... Only if you share this ice-cream with me."

Bursting into tiny fits of laughter, I nodded, "Blackberry is fine?"

"Yes!" She jumped in joy, clapping and ran quickly to take a seat on the dining table. Grabbing another bowl, shaking my head, I followed this little devil.

Someone was really hungry for ice-cream because as soon as I gave her the bowl, she finished it and then looked at me with starry eyes, fluttering the eyelashes asking for another scoop.

Like I said earlier. Devil knew a magic - How to melt hearts!

While gobbling the second scoop, Nitya uttered, "Do you dance?"

I hummed, eating my ice-cream. "You like dancing?"

Copy cat! She hummed just like me.

After contemplating for some time, I started, "Umm... Nitya..." She glanced at me, although majority of her focus still remained on the delicacy, I continued, "Why do you call me Mahil?"

"Because that's your name, right?" She licked the spoon.

"What do you call Adi?" I asked meekly.

"Adi mamu," She shrugged bringing the empty bowl close to her mouth and licking at remaining ice-cream.

"Why?" I whispered.

Some of the molten good spilt over her nose. Keeping bowl on table, she rubbed tip of nose with left palm before saying, "Because... He is my mamu."

"Even I'm your mamu! Why don't you call me that?" I complained as those words escaped my mouth unknowingly. Since when did start I wanting this? I didn't understand. What I knew was that I would be on cloud nine if she called me with this endearment.

Shaking the head, she clicked her tongue, "You troubled Adi mamu. So me izz angry with you."

I exhaled. She was on Adi's side. Was there a solution this chronological order that she met him earlier? No. Adi always messed up things for me being the first man in their lives. I collected both our bowls with shoulders hung low and then started playing with spoons grumpily.

Nitya stared at me with big round eyes. I glanced at her in between my silver-spoon-fights, only to look away swiftly. Sometime later, she stood up on the chair holding my head in her tiny palms and pecked my right cheek before jumping down and running away, "Thank you for the ice-cream. Good night Mahil!"

-------------------------------------------------

Vote and comment!

Loved writing this chapter. Mahil's mind talks here are best until now. He in fact reminded me of Manik from Adorable Heart because of all the mind talks.

So basically, this chapter has enough room for inline comments! My darling readers at least one comment per person? Let's all make Volume II a major success together!

Note - Have a look at character aesthetics if you haven't yet. Do give your reviews.

Note - I posted a few reels based on chapters of Diamond Hearts on my instagram handle 'divulgingsparkle'. Will be posting about updates and new reels there. Do check out the reels. You can find a link on my notice board.

Apologies if this sounds overbearing. No pressure about votes or anything :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 502 17
𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐟 𝐢 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐬 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐟𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐭. ___________...
65.8K 4.8K 22
Thanks to my Aaru (@__aaaarya___) for the gorgeous cover picture. Copyright Disclaimer: I don't own any rights of pictures used if any. They belong...
94.6K 6.1K 39
"You are caught Moon, stop staring at me". My heart quickened, This man will be the end of me. "Trust me moon, The way you look at me makes my heart...
530K 34.5K 100
5 ACE SERIES [ SECOND BOOK ] **** Have you ever thought about how far one would go for love? Curious to know then read further ---- **** She was tra...