Hacking the Game Didn't Go as...

By VaughnSchneider

To make ends meet after losing his parents, Daisuke picked up a job at a local convenience store while learni... More

Prologue
CHAPTER 1: The Beginning of the End
CHAPTER 2: A Bone to Pick
CHAPTER 3: I Have a Plan
CHAPTER 4: Operation Jupiter
CHAPTER 5: Uncanny Parallels
CHAPTER 6: My Virtual Mother
CHAPTER 7: Dire Straits
CHAPTER 8: Change - A Leap of Faith
CHAPTER 9: Survival Tactics
CHAPTER 10: Mission Start!
CHAPTER 11: The Aftermath
CHAPTER 12: Starfrost
CHAPTER 13: A Widower's Retribution
CHAPTER 14: Bittersweet Voyage
CHAPTER 16: The Slave Trade
CHAPTER 17: Knowledge is Power
CHAPTER 18: Resonating Souls
CHAPTER 19: Crude and Shrewd
CHAPTER 20: Sheba's Lamentation
CHAPTER 21: Cedric Oswald Percival
CHAPTER 22: True Intentions
CHAPTER 23: Sheba's Selfless Resolve
CHAPTER 24: Woeful Divide
CHAPTER 25: Man's Best Friend(?)
CHAPTER 26: The Merchants' Guild
CHAPTER 27: The Crystal Field
CHAPTER 28: The Path to Becoming Civil
CHAPTER 29: The Path to Entrepreneurship
CHAPTER 30: The Path to Solitude
CHAPTER 31: The Path to Vengeance
CHAPTER 32: The Path to Power
CHAPTER 33: The Culmination of the Paths
CHAPTER 34: The Rewards Beyond the Culmination
CHAPTER 35: Blessings - Jupiter & the Goddess of Harmony
CHAPTER 36: The Breath of Wind
CHAPTER 37: The Cusp of Revenge
CHAPTER 38: The Wind that Fills Thy Sails
CHAPTER 39: Guildmaster's Assembly
CHAPTER 40: The Lone Florian
CHAPTER 41: Social Hierarchy - The Trinity's Dynamic
CHAPTER 42: Mental Attacks
CHAPTER 43: Karma Stirs - The Coming Storm
CHAPTER 44: Magic Missile
CHAPTER 45: Fated Confrontation - Daisuke VS Osten
CHAPTER 46: Valuable Insights
CHAPTER 47: Elite Mob - The Lipanthyer
CHAPTER 48: Greed & Discrimination - The Field Test
CHAPTER 49: Dark Destination - The Players' Moral Compass
CHAPTER 50: Lupine Disaster - The Floor Guardian
CHAPTER 51: Dual Wielding - The Salvaged Loot
CHAPTER 52: The Unanimous Vote
CHAPTER 53: Unrequited Love & Peril
CHAPTER 54: Subspace Treat
CHAPTER 55: The Trio's Burden
CHAPTER 56: Gear and Morale
CHAPTER 57: Out of The Frying Pan into The Fire

CHAPTER 15: The Langley Siblings

32 3 0
By VaughnSchneider

The day gradually transitioned into night.

There were no monster encounters, particularly because the carriage remained on the main road. However, Daisuke couldn't determine if it was sheer luck or a missed opportunity for a potential escape.

As if part of a nefarious design, the men would occasionally hurl snide remarks and insults at the kids, draining away any lingering hope they clung to and squeezing their self-esteem dry, much like wringing out a washcloth.

The only silver lining, if it could even be labeled as such, was that the merchants were mindful of their profits. They maintained the pristine appearance of their goods, sparing the children from physical abuse and providing plenty of food to nourish them.

In the distant mountains, the haunting howl of a Kobold pierced the night. The soft, silvery glow of moonlight bathed the landscape as the flames of a crackling bonfire danced, casting flickering shadows on the faces of the seven men huddled around it. They feasted on a stew made from a Horned Rabbit, while the two wild dogs gnawed on the remnants of a pair of skulls nearby.

Daisuke ignored them with practiced indifference, but a storm brewed within him.

Before he could properly grieve his mother's untimely passing, the troop's betrayal shattered his already unstable world, leaving him adrift in a sea of misery.

As he reflected on his sacrifices for the people, the light in his eyes gradually dulled, and his heart hardened almost beyond repair. Yet, he refused to surrender to hopelessness.

Amidst the sleeping children, he delicately traced the auburn strands of hair framing April's peaceful face. She was fast asleep, her mind exhausted from the incessant grip of fear. She was too young and innocent to be subjected to such a wretched life. He needed to protect her, to shield her from the horrors of this world.

But how would—

"Kyaaa~" one of the men exclaimed after a swig of booze. "Reginald Alden Percival—so that's our client, eh? And he's a Baron?"

"Sounds like his coin purse is pretty deep."

"I wouldn't get my hopes up," the leader cautioned.

"How come? Nobles are usually loaded, right?"

"Not this guy—at least, not that I know of. According to the rumors, he's from a long line of talented chemists who have been delving into the secrets of alchemy for generations. A few years ago, close to the end of his life, the former king of this land recognized their impressive achievements and summoned them to the kingdom. He commissioned them to create the Philosopher's Stone and grant him eternal youth."

"Seriously?"

"And what happened?"

"They failed, and the king died. The Percivals were condemned and banished from the palace, but not before being stripped of their titles and having their wealth seized," the leader explained.

One of the men frowned, his beer suddenly tasting sour. "Then he's no longer a Baron? Che. He's not planning to pay for the kids on credit, is he? That won't fly."

"No, he's since then curried favor with a few interesting characters and introduced a special product on the black market."

"Oh-oh? Sounds like my kinda guy."

Daisuke's eyes narrowed as he eavesdropped on the conversation from the shadows of the cage, then he stroked his chin in contemplation.

***

Daisuke looked around in astonishment as the coachman steered the horse through the gates of a town. It was as though a tempest had swept through the settlement, spiriting away all the inhabitants.

Nestled in the heart of a valley lay this once bustling town, now a ghostly shell of its former self. The wooden buildings, weathered and worn by time, stood in eerie silence, their doors hanging off their hinges and windows shattered.

The steady rhythm of the horse's hooves and the creaking of the wagon's wheels echoed through the desolate streets, breaking the silence that had long settled over the abandoned town. The children, who once regarded the world with vacant stares, now glanced around in a mix of awe and trepidation, their movements restricted by the metallic prison.

The slave merchants, their eyes darting around for any sign of danger or opportunity, led the way through the eerie streets. The two wild dogs, sniffing around for any trace of food or prey, kept close to their masters, their movements alert and predatory.

One of the men rested his hand on his sword as they passed by the remnants of past monster invasions—traces of fur, claw marks, broken fences, overturned carts, and churned-up ground.

"What's up with this place?" one of the men muttered, voicing the question that hung in the air like a dark cloud.

"Yeah—where is everyone?" another wondered aloud.

"Were the people all slaughtered by monsters?"

Daisuke's brow furrowed as he scanned the abandoned streets, searching for answers. No, if that were the case, we would have seen dried blood, or at least a few skeletons laying around.

The leader, his gaze fixed on a distant hill, broke the silence with a grim explanation. "After facing condemnation from the kingdom, most, if not all, regions ceased trading with the Percivals and their domain. The sudden disruption in the supply chain affected everyone from farmers to artisans, compelling them to abandon the town and seek refuge elsewhere."

***

A large manor stood amidst a serene countryside. It was once a sight to behold, but now it bore the scars of a fallen noble legacy.

The imposing structure, with its majestic architecture and elegant turrets, hinted at a glorious past, when the Percival family enjoyed a prominent place in society, their wealth and scientific pursuits admired and highly sought after.

However, the passage of time was unkind. The manor's glory had waned, its luster dimmed, and the signs of neglect were evident. Vines, wild and untamed, curled around the stone walls, reclaiming their space with an almost defiant grace.

Under the Slave Traders' command, the children formed a neat line in the courtyard of the manor. Percival, flanked by a retinue of guards, carefully scrutinized each youngster. He examined their bone structure, skin condition, and dental health with a clinical eye.

Despite the tantalizing proximity of the open forest just beyond the courtyard, not a single child dared to make a break for freedom. It was useless. The wild dogs akin to hounds were glaring at them with bared teeth, daring anyone foolish enough to attempt an escape.

Around the necks of the dogs were grisly trophies—the skulls of those who had dared to defy the Slave Traders and had paid the ultimate price. It served as a stark reminder that their lives and liberty were now forfeit.

With a composed smile, Daisuke placed a hand above his heart and bowed deeply as the former Baron approached. "The esteemed Reginald Alden Percival—I've heard great things about your work. It's an honor to make your acquaintance."

"Oh?" the man looked him over with an unreadable expression before craning his head to the side.

The leader of the merchants grasped the unspoken cue. "We found him in Dusthaven, leading a gang of young thieves."

Percival absorbed this revelation, then turned his head to face Daisuke once more. He observed the graceful bow the silver-haired youth maintained, his silence lending weight to his scrutiny. The boy's demeanor and eloquence hinted at a background worth probing.

"You appear far too astute to be a simple commoner," Percival remarked. "Who are you, truly?"

Daisuke retained his perfect ninety-degree bow, his left hand gracefully resting on his lower back. "I am Julian Nathaniel Langley," he replied smoothly, "though in these circumstances, I have adopted the moniker Haxks. My family fell victim to blackmail and was subsequently sold into slavery, compelling me to employ any means necessary for survival."

The merchant leader frowned.

"Langley," Percival mused, the name failing to stir any recognition. "I'm afraid it doesn't ring a bell."

"I'm not surprised," Daisuke responded calmly. "A family of your stature wouldn't likely be acquainted with mine. The Langleys were a modest and unassuming household, overseen by a rural countryside lord."

"And her?" Percival's gaze slid towards the diminutive figure draped in an ostentatious dress, positioned mere inches from the boy.

"My younger sister—Aprilena Elise Langley," Daisuke fabricated smoothly, his countenance a mask of sincerity. "Thankfully, we managed to stay together."

"Mmm. Aprilena," Percival purred, his lips parting slightly as his eyes roamed over her figure with a salacious hunger, savoring every detail.

Petrified, April clung to her fake brother, the man's lust almost a physical and unwelcome caress. Daisuke's body tensed in outrage, but it didn't reach the perfectly sculpted mask of his face.

Percival instructed his butler to escort the siblings to their designated guestrooms, while the remaining children were swiftly transferred into the custody of the slave master.

The leader of the merchants observed the proceedings with a blend of disdain and detachment. Fool, he muttered inwardly, shaking his head. I can't believe he fell for that pathetic excuse for a cover story. Che. Well, it's no longer my problem as longas the payment is secure.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

330K 24.2K 73
"You should be careful, love. If I can find out about you, so can they." "I'm sorry, but I don't take advices from c*** s****." "Why don't you come s...
39 0 10
He might not know it yet, but Carrie Lancefull, a senior student who's about to graduate from Edison high school. At a young age during a battle betw...
2.4K 49 11
Set after Greed (fma) rescued the chimeras from the labs. The band of misfits have settled down in the Devil's Nest after an explosive exchange near...
3.3K 241 39
Waking up in the world of Franxx and being forced into a game of 'Gods' with multiple penalties imposed on him was not a cup of tea for Ryo. With a l...