Patient B-2

By wisteriaroselyn

Avalyn has always been good at running; it's what she does best. But when fate offers her a chance to break f... More

- read me!!
Prologue:
Chapter One: Avalyn
Chapter Two: Avalyn
Chapter Three: Avalyn
Chapter Four: Cierien
Chapter Five: Cierien
Chapter Six: Avalyn
Chapter Seven: Cierien
Chapter Nine: Wrath
Chapter Ten: Cierien
Chapter Eleven: Avalyn
Chapter Twelve: Wrath
Chapter Thirteen: Avalyn
Chapter Fourteen: Cierien
Chapter Fifteen: Idalia
Chapter Sixteen: Avalyn
Chapter Seventeen: Avalyn
Chapter Eighteen: Avalyn
Chapter Nineteen: Wrath
Chapter Twenty: Avalyn
Chapter Twenty-One: Aren
Chapter Twenty-Two: Avalyn
Chapter Twenty-Three: Avalyn
Chapter Twenty-Four: Avalyn
Chapter Twenty-Five: Aren
Chapter Twenty-Six: Idalia
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Idalia
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Avalyn
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Aren
Chapter Thirty: Avalyn
Chapter Thirty-One: Wrath
Chapter Thirty-Two: Sophie
Chapter Thirty-Three: Avalyn
Chapter Thirty-Four: Avalyn
Chapter Thirty-Five: Aren
Chapter Thirty-Six: Cierien
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Idalia
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Avalyn
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Avalyn
Chapter Forty: Wrath
Chapter Forty-One: Cierien
Chapter Forty-Two: Idalia
Chapter Forty-Three: Avalyn
Chapter Forty-Four: Avalyn
Chapter Forty-Five: Avalyn
Chapter Forty-Six: Avalyn
Chapter Forty-Seven: Avalyn
Chapter Forty-Eight: Wrath
Chapter Forty-Nine: Avalyn

Chapter Eight: Idalia

1.2K 61 8
By wisteriaroselyn

I noticed them immediately, two figures whose lives I've irreparably altered, as Avalyn would say. I had always assumed they would come after me eventually, but I never expected them to find me this quickly. Then again, Avalyn managed to track me down in just six months, but she's always been exceptionally intelligent, unlike the others.

All I craved was routine, and instead, I gained a pest. Despite my initial irritation, she's become somewhat welcomed. I don't mind her as much now. I've always been adept at covering my tracks; it's how I managed to evade that dreadful man for two centuries, as well as any member of WWA who crossed my path. However, my longing for a semblance of normalcy led me into a precarious situation.

This is different though; the unexpected presence of the girl and the loverboy has ignited a simmering anger within me. Yet, judging by their oblivious demeanor, it seems they're unaware of my presence here.

Leave it to fate to completely fuck me.

Before I can even lightly tap a perfectly manicured finger on Avalyn's delicate shoulder, Cierien's gaze fixates on her as though she's a specter emerging from the shadows. And, in a way, she is. When Avalyn first confided in me, revealing her past and her intentions, I was flooded with a peculiar mix of emotions. Initially, I balked at the thought of additional complications; forming partnerships had always seemed like an unnecessary burden. Yet, when Avalyn divulged her readiness to confront every last member of WWA, a surge of exhilaration coursed through me.

There's a profound complexity to Avalyn, something profoundly askew beneath her composed exterior. She shares my affinity for danger, perhaps even a penchant for violence, though she conceals it with greater finesse. It's as if she and I are kindred spirits, drawn to the allure of chaos and conflict. She recognizes the beauty in the darkness, just as I do. However, her appreciation is quieter, more restrained, a subtle undercurrent beneath her calm demeanor. That's precisely why our partnership flourishes. We complement each other's strengths, our shared thirst for adrenaline and our unspoken understanding forging an unbreakable bond.

Alright, so she's more than welcomed.

Avalyn's acute awareness doesn't falter; she quickly senses the unwelcome intrusion of Cierien Cardwell. Yet, in typical fashion, she maintains her poised exterior, meeting his gaze with a steely resolve that belies any hint of unease. With practiced finesse, she regards him as though he were nothing more than a passing stranger, effortlessly masking any flicker of recognition. It's a skill I meticulously imparted to her, teaching her how to navigate through turbulent waters with unwavering serenity. And in this moment, as I witness her poised demeanor, I can't help but swell with pride, much like a mother marveling at her child's accomplishments.

Her fingers close around my wrists like a vice, and within moments, we find ourselves at the forefront of the store. "Cierien," she begins, but I interject before she can utter another word.

"Oh, I saw that," I giggle, unable to contain my amusement, my hand instinctively rising to cover my smile. "Cierien? Who's he? You've never heard of him." My words spill forth with a playful nonchalance.

She pinches me, sending a jolt of discomfort through me, swiftly extinguishing the bubbling joy that had momentarily consumed me. Reacting impulsively, I return the gesture with a scowl etching itself onto my features, the once-present smile fading into a stern expression. "Do that again," I urge, my voice carrying a hint of warning as I narrow my eyes at her.

"Cut it out. We need to leave. Now."

I roll my eyes, tugging her closer to me. "You head to the apartment. I'll lead them in the opposite direction."

"And that would work, how?" she questions, her gaze darting nervously around us, searching for any signs of them.

"We have the same hair color. I doubt he fully registered that it was you. I don't know if you know this..." I lower my voice to a whisper, mimicking her anxious glances and cautiously scanning our surroundings for any prying eyes. "But you're supposed to be dead."

Her gaze snaps back to mine, and I instinctively slap a hand over my mouth, emitting an exaggerated gasp. "Isn't that crazy?" I exclaim, a mischievous grin tugging at the corners of my lips. "Now, how about you get the hell out of here, and I'll handle best friend number two and boyfriend number one?"

"The fact that you think you're best friend number one is baffling," she grits through her teeth, irritation eclipsing the panic she feels. "Don't do anything to hurt them, just lead them away and ditch them. They can't find our apartment."

"The fact you didn't correct me about Cierien says a lot. He's such a sweet boy, I don't blame you for liking him more, pretty girl," I tease, taking a step forward and gently nudging her toward the door.

"Fuck you. Do what you're told," she retorts sharply, her tone leaving no room for argument. And with that, she swiftly disappears from sight.

Still no correction. What a naughty girl.

I wait until I spot Cierien through the glass, then begin speedwalking down the sidewalk, deftly maneuvering through the bustling crowds. Her words linger in my mind, a prickling sensation of annoyance gnawing at me. "Do what you're told?" I mutter under my breath, incredulous at her audacity.

She should be thanking me for sparing her from the inevitable drama that would ensue if her favorite ex-boyfriend and the other girl discovered she had risen from the grave they thought they buried her in. Oh, to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. The thought of their bewildered expressions when they realize she abandoned them to come hang out with me brings a mischievous smirk to my lips. It's almost tempting to turn around and confront them with the truth. But no, I shake my head, pushing aside the fleeting notion. It's better this way, I rationalize, forging ahead with my own agenda and leaving them to their own devices. After all, a little mystery never hurt anyone.

Avalyn's words from yesterday echo annoyingly loud in my mind. I don't want to be seen as evil. Sure, I've had to embrace ruthless tactics to survive, and it's become second nature to me by now, but that doesn't mean I want to be defined by it.

I continue down the street, the faint sound of footsteps trailing behind me indicating that the two are still in pursuit. Do I have a plan? Not really. Am I confident I'll get away unscathed? Absolutely. With unwavering resolve, I don't hesitate to veer sharply left down the desolate alleyway ahead.

I'm a survivor, after all.

I tread cautiously, avoiding any actions that could potentially put me in harm's way, aside from the conscious decision to assist Avalyn. However, she has demonstrated her capability to handle herself adeptly, alleviating any concerns I might have had. Like me, she's a survivor, resilient and resourceful. While my actions may appear arrogant or reckless to some, they're rooted in an unwavering faith and confidence in my abilities. I didn't escape the clutches of that man by downplaying my intelligence and wit. If anything, that harrowing experience only reinforced my resolve to trust in my instincts and capabilities.

I come to a halt, positioning myself midway into the long alleyway, my back turned to the man who enters right behind me.

"Avalyn?" he calls out, and I have to stifle a laugh. "Baby?"

Puke.

I pivot on my heels, showcasing my beautiful smile as I stare him down. "Wow, do I look that much like your ex-girlfriend? Or, perhaps she resembles me; I suppose I did come first" I taunt, my words dripping with sarcasm. "Is that why you picked her? I must say, I'm flattered, baby."

Watching his face drop has me feeling giddy. Avalyn's assessment rings partly true- I'm not a saint. While I would never descend to the depths of depravity that my family has, engaging in activities that strip away one's autonomy, I do relish a good game. Games add spice to life. In my two-hundred-plus years of existence, I've learned that a good challenge is essential for my amusement. If I can't find enjoyment in life, then what's the point of living? I acknowledge that my amusement comes at the expense of the poor, sweet man before me, but compared to the atrocities I've witnessed and, regrettably, sometimes committed, a little tease is a mere trifle.

Besides, if I don't maintain the facade of menace, someone might mistake me for being soft. I can't afford to be perceived as vulnerable. All those gooey, yucky feelings? I keep them tightly sealed within myself, allowing them to surface only when I'm alone. Avalyn may have caught a few fleeting glimpses of them, but that's only because I'm not accustomed to having someone around for this long. I don't do friends. Getting too close to someone means risking losing them, and I refuse to subject myself to that agony again. I won't allow myself to become attached to another person, not after the pain of losing Aren.

That nearly killed me- literally. Losing Aren shattered me into a million irreparable pieces. For the first few years, I wandered aimlessly, a hopeless mess consumed by grief. But I'll never be that girl again. I refuse to be the girl he made me into.

"Did you travel all this way just to see me?" I tilt my head, feigning flattering. "Don't tell me you're trying to get back together? God, Cierien, Avalyn's only been dead for what-"

"Don't say her name," he interjects, his voice practically a growl as his piercing blue eyes transform into a more sinister shade of red.

"Avalyn," I deadpan, dropping the facade. "Now what?"

"I'm going to kill y-" His threat is abruptly cut off by a sudden shwoop sound, followed by a rush of air that has both of us snapping our necks to the side in alarm.

A... dart? Oh, shit. A dart.

It only takes me a moment to register what it means. It appears that WWA hasn't completely abandoned their pursuit of the three vampires. Without a second thought, I pivot on my heel, racing down the alleyway. I catch a glimpse of the hooded figures perched on the rooftop, but I refuse to linger any longer to confirm their identity. Every instinct in me screams to flee, and I heed the warning without hesitation.

I hear Cierien release a sharp hiss, and a strange part of me can only hope it's from surprise and not from a dart piercing his skin. It seems the little Adair is rubbing her empathic nature all over, and I internally curse myself as I pause to ensure they're okay. The alleyway is empty, indicating they were able to get away, and I release a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. But it quickly gets stuck in my throat when I see a shadowy figure stepping out from behind a large green trash bin.

His dart gun raises, and in that moment, it's as if time itself slows to a crawl. The weapon is aimed directly at me, the finger on the trigger trembling. And then it's being pulled.

Thud.

My body freezes in place, not from the impact of the dart, but from the sudden shock of recognition. The dull thud I hear is my phone hitting the ground, but I don't dare move to retrieve it as I find myself locking eyes with the girl whose life I had taken over a year ago. "Well, isn't this a pleasant surprise," I manage to chuckle, though my throat feels uncomfortably dry as the words leave my lips.

She takes a moment to survey the lifeless body lying on the cement before her gaze rises to meet mine. "Couldn't let him steal my job," she breathes out, her eyes flickering erratically and now glowing crimson with a predatory intensity.

Poor girl. She's never killed before.

She attempts to lunge at me, but her movement is clumsy; she's a baby, lacking the finesse of someone experienced in combat. Despite her lack of skill, it's surprising that she managed to take down the man at all, even if he was just a mere human. I don't have time to reach for my phone, so instead, I send it flying backward with a swift kick as I bolt off in the opposite direction. I hope the impact was forceful enough to damage it- if not, we'll have even more trouble on our hands.

Having meticulously transcribed each date and event onto my personal calendar, I can't help but wonder if they'll uncover it with enough scrutiny. All I can do is fervently pray that it's scattered to fragments as I hastily flee the scene. Nevertheless, there's a certain intrigue in the prospect of their discovery. I quickly forget the prayer.

//

i LOVE idalia. I'M SORRY. she's so incredibly flawed but i <3 a good villain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.5K 7.3K 53
"If this is manipulation, try to resist." They've just kissed. She should jump off the roof of this building for committing such an offence. They've...
946K 44K 113
-Temporary Hiatus- Aspen, A broken nobody. His family is broken, His mind is broken, His heart? Well there's not much left. . . Hopefully his soulmat...
134K 4.3K 46
"Come on, little witch. You're only prolonging the inevitable. We're going to have you one way... or the other..." *** There are some rules you don't...
304K 10.6K 61
In the wake of her parents' passing, Avalyn Adair returns to her childhood abode, seeking closure and a better understanding of the events that shape...