The Franchise Quarterback Bo...

Por lyonmom

Family means that you are never alone. They are always by your side, even in the very worst times. Georgia Br... Más

Prologue
Chapter 1
Character information
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 3

95 18 7
Por lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 3

Harlowe

Last night could have gone better. I don't know what I was expecting going over to Easton's place so late at night. I knew he had been pushing my buttons by kissing me earlier but it hit something different in me. And when the press caught it on camera and started questioning me over it, I blew my cool.

Of course the worst thing I could do was go straight over to Easton's and confront him. I should've known that I would be followed. I should have known they would follow me to his door. And of course Easton would open the door looking like that!

I didn't know what to do. So I pushed my way inside. I just had to put my hands on those rock hard abs once again and feel the way they quiver, just slightly under my touch. He'd never admit to that. I know that much. But I felt it all the same.

Then once I got inside I realized I was in big trouble. He called me out immediately when I got a good look at him and couldn't stop myself from staring. The man was made to be looked at. All that dark hair wet and dripping water down those rippling muscles only to disappear below the towel that hugged his hips.

I forgot everything else for a moment and just wanted to be there with him. Then he had to open his big mouth and remind how much of a jerk he could be. And I remember the press that was waiting just outside the door.

He reminded me of why I bought the team. Why I was doing this and why I was not going to stop until I had proven myself to everyone. Especially to myself. I need to know what I am capable of and that I can be successful with what I've wanted all my life. I might not be a Bradford but I'm still going to be one of the best in football.

Easton did apologize for the kiss when he realized what he did. That did surprise me. He doesn't apologize easily. I think he was afraid I would get emotional on him. Easton doesn't handle emotions well. And neither of us like the press hounding us about our relationship. We've seen how that affects our families plenty over the years.

The press didn't leave. They waited. I swear they multiplied while Easton and I talked. When we finished hours later and I went to leave they were camped in his front yard. Waiting for me to leave.

My first thought was fine, I can just wait them out. Then it occurred to me that they would just stay there all night and I would have to come out in the morning because Easton would have to report to the arena and I would have to go to the office and that would bring on all sorts of problems.

Staying overnight with Easton was out of the question. Not that I haven't done that before. I can't remember how many times Max and I did just that. We were either at the Bradford's compound or Easton was at our house. We grew up in each other's pockets, and it was all so normal.

Nothing about Easton has ever been simple or normal. Not for me at least. He was my brother's best friend and he always saw me as Max's little sister. It drove me crazy and I did everything I could to make him see me as anything but that. Especially that last summer.

The summer that changed everything for both of us. And I'm truly better off not thinking about it ever again. Easton has had enough manners to not bring it up even when he did hint at it last night. He didn't push the subject.

I should be grateful that Easton knew how to handle the situation last night. Of course he knew, I'm sure it wasn't the first time he had to sneak a woman out of his house without the press catching her.

Dylan does keep his clients from getting caught with their pants down. Just like uncle Matt used to do for Grandpa Blake. He was notorious in his day for being reckless with the ladies, right up until Emma came into the picture. He changed his ways real fast to keep her.

Easton, as the gentleman he was raised to be, offered his spare bedroom. I turned him down immediately. That would be the last thing I would need on the morning news. And I'm sure the GM would be thrilled to hear that story about me. He's already looking for a reason to get the board to come after me and I haven't even gotten started yet.

In any case, Easton snuck me out the back door to his garage where he has his many cars lodged. Giving me the keys to one of the cars I got my ride back to my house without a problem. He was actually nice about it, even considerate of my reputation and what I'm trying to do.

It was... nice.

Driving to the arena this morning, I had the sports radio news on and listened to the latest information on the team. And just as I turned into the lot it was brought up.

"... and interesting enough the new owner was seen paying a late night visit to our favorite quarterback last night. He was apparently waiting for her too. Take a look at this photo ladies, tell me how many of you want to come home to this every night?"

Glancing down, I see a picture of Easton opening his front door in his fluffy blue towel and nothing else. Water droplets rolling down that hard body of his. I can already hear the sound of jaws dropping to the floor over this one.

"Oh good grief, he's not that good looking!" I growled, turning the show off and climbing out of the car.

The press was waiting as they usually are at the entrance to the facility for the players. I decided to forego going to practice this morning and head straight for my office. I need to get a better idea of the financial situation of this team. There's a reason I got the deal I got and it has nothing to do with the team.

Heading through the double doors, I go upstairs to the third floor and see no one at the front desk. Curious to know where my staff are hiding, and begin my hunt and wander around the building until I find them all gathered together in one of the conference rooms talking quietly, the picture of Easton and I up on the display.

"I see we're all up on the latest gossip from last night!" I announced my presence and walked into the room. The last thing I am is afraid of a little attention.

"Ms. Segler, we didn't realize you were here this morning." The secretary had the sense to at least try to look apologetic.

"I own this team, where else would I be?" The question didn't require an answer. "Since we're already here, why don't we have a seat and get this over with. Please, take a seat."

Going to the head of the table, I watched Holler move to take the seat before me and tilted my head at him as he sat down. Rude and disrespectful, I don't move but raised my chin just slightly. Enough to remind me of how Georgia would have done if she had been here.

"I believe that you are in my seat, Tom. My meeting, my building, my team. Get your ass out of my chair, now!" I spoke quietly but sternly to him, making my point perfectly clear.

The room remained silent, listening to see how Tom was going to respond to me. He glared at me, obviously he doesn't like that he has a female boss. He's going to like it even less when this female boss kicks his ass to the curb.

"Of course, Harlowe. Old habit," he smiled and stood up.

As he moved out of my way, I took the opportunity to correct him. "It's Ms. Segler. I'm your boss, Tom. I'm not your friend. I'm not your coworker, I'm not your equal. I own this team. When you decide to show me the respect I deserve, then we can talk about me giving you the benefit of my respect by calling me by my first name. Until then you will earn that right. Now let's get down to business."

Taking him down several notches in front of the entire office wasn't what I had in mind. But he made his choice by airing my personal business to the office so I called him out. If he can't handle it, that's his problem.

Taking my rightful seat, I dealt with the business at hand beginning with the lovely picture on the screen. "First, I would like to give all of you a little background about me."

Smiling as the secretary was nice enough to get me a bottle of water from the mini fridge, I quietly thanked her and continued, "I am a Segler but I am also related to the Bradford family. I've known Easton Bradford my entire life. I have the utmost respect and admiration for him and his family. He's a great athlete and he is our Franchise Quarterback.

"I have every confidence in taking this team to the playoffs and winning every game. But we have a lot of work to do in trusting the management of this team and front office. Those players count on us as much as we count on them. We aren't going to get anywhere near winning that trophy if we don't work as a team.

"So I'm asking you, if you want to win, then work with me. If you can't work with me, then you can pack up your desk today and get your final check immediately. I don't play games and I don't bullshit around. If you're going to walk, do it now." Pausing, I waited looking directly at Tom. "I'm a straight shooter. I won't tolerate back stabbing, lies, and petty bullshit because someone's ego has gotten bruised. Either deal with the problem or suck it up. If you can't do that then there's the door, make your choice right now!"

I thought he would be the one to get up and walk out. I know he wanted to. He was pissed. I embarrassed him in front of everyone. But he didn't move. He stared down the long table at me and just glared at me.

I waited a good long moment while the rest of the staff looked back and forth between us, waiting to see who would act first. When it was clear Tom wasn't going to quit, I moved on with the meeting.

The rest of the day was spent getting to know each of the staff, what they did and how they worked. I listened to their ideas and in some cases liked their ideas, in others saw they were on team Tom and knew I would be replacing several people within the next few weeks.

It didn't bother me that people would leave. That's normal. Not everyone is going to like the new owner. I expected some backlash. I expected Tom to fight me on several issues but I will deal with him one fight at a time. He'll hang himself.

As I finished my last call of the day. I finally got a chance to look at the financial statements from the last couple months. It looks like the team is bleeding money. Frowning over the report, I focus on the numbers.

I'm so entrenched in the numbers that I don't hear my office door open and close. I'm not paying attention that someone has moved in behind me. It's not until I feel someone's presence right behind that I know I'm not alone.

Looking up, I'm taken by surprise when my chair is spun around and tilted backwards so I'm holding onto the armrest holding on for dear life as I scream.

"Got your attention now don't I, boss lady!" Tom glared eye to eye at me. "This is my team! Not yours! I have busted my ass to make this team what it is. You aren't going to take it away from me!"

"I own this team, not you, Tom. Now put me down!" I quietly order him, hiding my fear as my pulse pounds in my ears.

"You might have the money but I have their ears. No one will support you, lady. You're an outsider. You will never win them over!" Tom continued, not letting go of the chair.

I warned him. Without giving him another chance, I swung my leg as hard as I could with the point of my high heel shoe hitting its mark right on target. Tom's face contorted and for a moment I thought he was going to collapse on top of me, before he was yanked back by a tremendous force and flung across the room.

When I looked up, I saw Easton standing over Tom, tossing the man's limp body out of my office.

Please remember to vote comment and share

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

216K 7.1K 41
Kingston Series #3 THE THIRD BOOK OF THE KINGSTON SERIES! Following his father, brother and grandfather's footsteps Trevor makes it to the NFL and l...
29.8K 2K 33
Paradise awaits or so they thought. When the Bradford's boarded the plane for their tropical paradise they assumed the next two months would be all f...
8M 262K 48
"You mean your entire college career depends on me?" Axel laughs, his eyes twinkling. "Maybe..." I grumble, keeping my eyes on the floor. "Oh, this...
390K 9K 35
Aria and Hunter, they have never really got along...well not really but even at that they have a history that no one knows about cause if they did al...