โ๐ƒ๐‘๐€๐๐„๐“๐Ž๐Œ๐Ž๐๐ˆ๐€โž โ”...

By wistfulthoughts

drapetomonia - the overwhelming urge to run away. โ” When Junia Beaumont, her brother and their classmates get... More

โ๐ƒ๐‘๐€๐๐„๐“๐Ž๐Œ๐Ž๐๐ˆ๐€.โž
โ๐‚๐€๐’๐“.โž
โ๐‹๐˜๐‘๐ˆ๐‚๐’.โž
00. prologue
โ๐€๐‚๐“ ๐ˆ - ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐Œ๐„๐๐“๐Ž๐‘.โž
01. the fourth of july
02. rigged
03. cattle cars
04. the monkey enclosure
05. hypotheticals
06. consequences
07. back at the zoo
08. the questionnaire
09. mentor and tribute
10. blood
11. grief, sorrow and anger
12. afternoon sun
13. a proposal
14. somber morning
15. arachne's funeral
16. the arena
17. the hospital
18. wounds
โ๐€๐‚๐“ ๐ˆ๐ˆ - ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐“๐‘๐€๐ˆ๐“๐Ž๐‘.โž
19. a visitor
20. the spare key
21. a nightly visit
22. test subject C
23. guns and axes
24. of snakes and antidotes
25. preparations
26. last steps
27. backstage
29. closer
30. one last measure
31. countdown
32. murder and mercy
33. rescue mission
34. kiss of life
35. eleven remain
36. Lamina
37. what it means to be human
38. a deal with a snake
39. the grand finale
โ๐€๐‚๐“ ๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ - ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐•๐ˆ๐‚๐“๐Ž๐‘.โž
40. reunion
41. clash of views
42. the future
43. dread
44. the hypocrisy of it all
45. don't be a stranger
46. a sister's guilt
47. goodbye, capitol
48. home
49. family line
50. survivor's guilt
51. the market
52. sketches
53. Rachis
54. the Pine
55. a broken boy
56. Happy birthday, Treech
57. twins
58. the wedding
59. epilogue
โ๐“๐‘๐ˆ๐•๐ˆ๐€.โž

28. the interview

344 19 104
By wistfulthoughts

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

28. the interview

The spotlight is bright, so much so it blinds the both of them as they take the stage together.

Treech’s clean appearance earns him a spontaneous round of applause and June is pretty sure she can hear her little brother cheering the loudest. She almost thinks the excitement of Tanner’s and Domitia’s interview is what keeps the crowd going for so long but it really seems like it’s Treech.

She can’t blame them. Even though she always found him charming even when he was covered in dirt, sweat and grime she knows the audience here welcomes his clean clothes and face as a nice change of pace. Aside from Lucy Gray — who will be on stage after Treech — the other tributes went to face the crowd in clothes they had been wearing for almost two weeks. Perhaps they feel like the pair really put in an effort preparing for this the others didn’t think or simply didn’t bother to make.

It wasn’t her intention, not at all, but June finds some satisfaction in knowing that this must irk Coriolanus. Always eager for the spotlight, he must feel like her and Treech are stealing his thunder now.

But she’ll take it. At the end of the day, despite the fact that Treech’s demonstration will definitely excite the people of the Capitol, Lucy Gray’s singing will still outshine all of them in a heartbeat.

She blinks, trying to get her eyes adjusted to the light. When he squeezes her hand, she takes a deep breath and finds some comfort in the fact that his palms are just as damp as hers.

Especially for Treech who’s not used to TV crews, being put on a stage in front of so many people is incredibly overwhelming. He remembers holding presentations at school at most but that aside, he has never been watched by this many people before. There was the reaping but that is something he’d like to forget about. Knowing that most of the attention is on him right now — June is with him but in the end, it’s still him they’re curious about — is not helping either.

Lucky has a bright smile on his face that feels incredibly stiff at this point. June can’t help but think his face must be hurting at this point because hers definitely would be. But he’s a professional for a reason. Dressed in a tailored suit and smelling of something very expensive even from a distance, his presence radiates both professionalism and enthusiasm.

“Welcome, welcome!” He speaks into the mic.

He faces the audience, “Now, I know we’re all very excited for our second last tribute for the evening, but remember: we’re on a tight schedule!”

When the crowd slowly begins to quieten down, he sucks in a sharp breath. He makes a gesture with his hand, inviting the mentor-tribute pair a little bit closer. There’s an undeniable twinkle in his eyes when his eyes lock on their tightly intertwined hands but instead of pointing it out immediately, he straightens up and waits until it’s so quiet you can almost hear a pin drop.

“Well, the applause says it all! I think that’s actually the most we’ve gotten before the interview even started all night,” he says. He takes in the pair in front of him and his eyes settle on the girl, “Would you do all of us — all of Panem — the honor of introducing us to your tribute?”

So much for no pressure.

June’s smile freezes for a moment when the microphone is pointed straight at her but she looks up at the man anyway. She forces herself to clear her throat and nods.

“Yes, thank you so much for having us tonight,” she says the text she practiced in front of the mirror all afternoon long. She raises her voice a bit when she continues, making a gesture with her hand to point at the male next to her, “Everyone, this is Treech Catalpa from District Seven!”

Applause follows, though it’s a little more short-lasted this time. She concludes the audience must be eager to learn about him. That, and she’s the only one so far to mention her tribute’s last name. She thought it would make things more personal and it seems she’s right because all she can see are eager and curious faces.

Treech leans forward, albeit a bit hesitant. “Hello,” he says and blinks in surprise when his voice is heard loud and clear all over the room. “Thank you for having me. I’ve never… been in front of a microphone.” He forces a laugh but is relieved when his slight awkwardness earns him a few chuckles from the people in the auditorium.

“Oh well, I promise we don’t bite!” Lucky says and he wonders if it’s genuine or not. Whatever the case, it puts him at ease. The weatherman’s eyes sweep over Treech’s considerably well-kempt appearance and gives a slight nod in approval, “I can’t help but notice you’re looking particularly clean and pristine tonight.”

Treech nods, “Yes, all thanks to my mentor. It was her idea.”

Lucky nods, “Mhm-mhm, well, we’re all very flattered that you cleaned up so nicely just for us.” He glances back and forth between the pair. “So, holding hands seems to be the latest trend,” he comments. “At least among some of you.”

“We’re both very nervous,” June admits and has to laugh. “We’re really just keeping each other grounded, I think.”

“I’ve noticed you’re very close. Or am I seeing things?” Lucky says. “I’ll be honest — I’m very surprised the two of you are even standing here with me tonight. I wasn’t under the impression that you’d like to step into the spotlight.”

Truthfully, neither of them really do but they know they need to do this to better Treech’s chances. All that June can do is play her part with the antivenom, Treech needs to keep himself safe in the arena to the best of his ability, but if the Games go on and on, they’ll need to rely on sponsors. It’s their only way, even if Treech never wanted to play a part in the Capitol’s strategy to make the Games more appealing. June originally wanted to respect his wish and still would have had he declined doing the interview but with everything, especially realizing how much they care about each other, they didn’t really have a choice.

They just need this to go well.

“I think it was pretty obvious I’m not really a big fan of cameras or… crowds,” Treech says. When he looks over at June, the fondness in his gaze is clear to everyone. “But I think with how much she’s been taking care of me, she could probably ask anything of me and I’d do it."

There are a few gasps and “ooohhh”’s in the crowd and even June shifts a little bit awkwardly. She knows she’s definitely in trouble now, especially with how her blushing is pretty obvious to everyone, but she still smiles back at him anyway. She’s in too deep to care about the consequences at this point.

“Also,” Treech quickly adds before Flickerman says anything that might embarrass his mentor, “I also figured it’d be nice if everyone got to know me a bit better before I go in there. I mean, I’m not saying you have to fall in love with me or anything but, uhm—”

He grins when his comment earns him a few chuckles from the audience. Maybe this is not so bad after all. Even Lucky laughs — he questions how genuine it is or if it’s simply out of pity — but most importantly, June laughs as well. Perhaps he just needed to warm up first. Once he starts talking, it comes more naturally.

“So, what do you have for us on this fine evening?” Lucky then asks. He eyes his cue cards for a brief moment but it’s so subtle even the pair in front of him barely notices. “Would you care to tell us more about District Seven?”

There’s a certain amount of sadness in his gaze but it disappears as quickly as it came. “Actually,” he says, “there’s nothing I’d love more right about now.”

June is honestly amazed by Treech’s ability to answer the questions in a way that’s both detailed and yet straight to the point. He doesn’t beat around the bush which seems to earn him a lot of sympathy from the audience and while it’s not her primary concern at the moment, she still notices the amount of donations slowly going up in the background the more Treech and Lucky talk. She decides to let them be and occasionally offers an agreeing nod or a laugh when they say something funny.

Treech talks about the kind of work he does and even gives some pointers on how to properly take care of certain types of wood that he knows are being shipped to the Capitol regularly. Even Lucky is fully engrossed in the topic.

“It’s a family thing then, yes?” he asks. “Does your work come naturally to you?”

Treech nods, “My dad and all of us work. Well, we quit school at sixteen to help out. Makes things easier for our parents.”

Lucky nods, “That’s commendable. How many of you are there?”

“There’s my mom and my dad. But if you mean me and my siblings, there’s eight of us in total,” he says.

As expected, that captures the audience’s attention as well. Truthfully, even June still can’t wrap her head around the fact that Treech has seven siblings and a niece. If anything, she’s surprised she’s still sane with how much her own two brothers drive her up the wall sometimes. But then again, she’s the only girl among her siblings. Treech only has two sisters — they must feel the same as her.

“Eight children! Wow!” Lucky can’t hide his amazement. “That’s a lot!”

He pauses and takes on a more somber tone, almost sympathetic. “I can’t imagine how you must feel, being so far away from them,” he says. “Surely you must miss them terribly.”

When Treech glances at her for a moment, June gives him a subtle but encouraging nod. She squeezes his hand and he speaks up.

“Yes, actually. I do,” he says. “I never planned to leave home but… uhm, you know. Sometimes things just don’t work out the way you expect them to.”

There are a few murmurs among the audience and June notices the shift in the atmosphere. It’s not subtle, she can see the way some people are looking at Treech with something akin to pity in their eyes. She catches a glimpse of her brothers — Cas is saying something to Max, presumably scolding him quietly since he’s kicking his legs back and forth quite vigorously — and her parents, the latter pair being stone-faced as expected.

How cruel.

Flickerman nods sympathetically, “Well, you’re not alone tonight. We’re all here with you.” He clears his throat, “And who knows? They might be watching you right now.”

Treech forces a laugh, “I doubt that. We don’t have a TV but… if they’re able to see this, I want them to know that I’m okay.” He squeezes June’s hand and smiles in the most genuine way she has seen since they joined Flickerman on stage. “Really, all things considered, I don’t think I could be better.”

June’s eyes soften as well and her heart both swells and breaks for him. She has to take a deep breath.

“Oh, and by the way,” Treech then says in a more playful tone, “if they are watching this, I hope they’re actually paying attention.” He looks straight into the camera as if addressing his family directly, “I’m talking to you, Ivy and Ranger. You better not be giving mom any more trouble.” He points an accusing finger at the camera and then grins.

That manages to salvage the mood somehow. From there on, Treech manages to steer the conversation into an atmosphere that makes the crowd both sympathize and laugh with him. June finds it reassuring to know that he seems to be a natural and finds herself laughing more than she expected. She’s still a bit tense but with her hand in his, she knows they’ll be alright.

He briefly talks about his family some more but then takes that as a way to get to the second — and he figures the most important — part of the interview. June steps aside and so does Flickerman when Peacekeepers go on stage, one of them handing Treech the very same plastic ax he has been practicing with.

It’s incredibly unsettling to see how three of them are pointing their guns at him as he demonstrates his skills, however, the audience seems to be in awe at the way he handles the ax. Much like her, they seem amazed and whenever he moves in a way that’s particularly fast and yet fluid at the same time, the gasps are clearly audible. She notices he’s putting in an extra effort and that he’s giving it his all when he performs a few moves that are even new to her. They’re elegant nonetheless, but the way he brings the plastic ax down on the floor like he’s tearing through a log makes even her gasp.

But it pays off. At the end, Treech earns even a bit more applause than Domitia and Tanner which puts them at the top of the list for the evening. June knows that spot will be taken by Lucy Gray in a couple of minutes but she doesn’t mind. Second best is still good, all things considered. And when the Games begin, she knows people will definitely be sending in more money for him, too.

At the end, right before they leave the stage, the two of them step forward as talked about during their preparations. With interlocked hands, they take a bow before the audience in the auditorium and are met with loud applause.

When June lifts her head, she finds herself looking at her parents in particular. She can’t read their expressions, all she knows is they must be feeling conflicted. On one hand, their daughter has managed to get her tribute to give them the performance of the evening so far but on the other hand, it has become increasingly obvious that she gets along with her tribute, a district-born boy, in a way that extends beyond the expected mentor-tribute relationship.

Surely they can’t tell how much she truly likes him — she hasn’t given them the time of the day to tell them everything they’ve talked about since they always find a way to nitpick and make things negative — but she knows Cas does for sure. He claps loudly and Max cheers with a grin on his face that’s so wide it almost splits his face in half. She sees Sejanus, too, his eyes bright for the first time in a few days, clapping for her and Treech.

She feels good like this. Perhaps she doesn’t realize it, but that look she gave her parents is one of pure defiance. Somehow, she managed to slip away from them in a little over a week in a way they didn’t see coming.

Maybe skipping classes to greet her tribute was the first step. Then the interview on TV that same evening showed them having lunch together at the zoo. Even when Arachne was killed the day after, the footage of Treech pulling their frozen daughter up or at least trying exists. And there’s some brief footage—a momentary glimpse—of them holding hands in the broadcast that showed the arena tour.

And now this. Talking to him is one thing, but touching him and holding his hand on live TV for all of Panem to see? Looking at him so fondly as if they’re best friends?

What has happened to her? When did she begin slipping away from them and their influence?

Is their daughter simply playing the role of an extremely skilled mentor, or has she been playing her parents all along? They don’t know.

When June and Treech leave the stage, both know it won’t be long until they’re separated again. There’s another meeting arranged for tomorrow and June is planning on seeing him all alone at the zoo the night before the Games, but this is their last real moment of just being alone with no shackles or handcuffs preventing their movement and no bars in the way.

June quickly wishes Coriolanus and Lucy Gray good luck — she doesn’t miss Coriolanus’ slightly sour gaze but truthfully, she couldn’t care less — and looks around. There’s just a single Peacekeeper backstage now but even he’s peeking out through the curtains and into the crowd and isn’t paying any attention to them.

Her eyes flit back to Treech and she smiles brightly. While the intimate atmosphere from before the interview is ruined, it’s now replaced by relief and genuine joy on her end. She’s surprised to see him looking a little bit disoriented but assumes it must be his eyes getting used to the darkness in the backstage area.

“Treech,” she says softly and gently grasps his arms. “That was perfect, you’re a natural!”

Treech snaps out of his thoughts and slightly lost state and looks down at her. He doesn’t think he has ever seen her smiling like this before and the expression of genuine glee on her face makes his chest feel all warm. It’s a feeling that spreads both into his face and down the rest of his body all the way into his toes. He feels himself getting slightly giddy under her touch and smiles as well.

“You think so?” he retorts. “I don’t know, I would’ve been lost if you hadn’t prepared me so well. That was… a lot more people than I thought. It felt longer, too.”

June hums. If anything, it felt a lot shorter to her than expected. But at the same time she wasn’t exactly the one being interviewed, she only talked very briefly and let Treech handle the rest.

“I think you did a wonderful job,” she ends up saying and fixes his collar with care. “They loved you. I mean, they were really excited to see you.”

“Mhm.” Treech places a hand on her shoulder and carefully moves it to the back of her head. His fingers brush over the hair at her nape and when she shivers a little bit he can’t help but laugh. “I couldn’t have done it without you, sunshine. You always make things better. And easier.”

Her eyes soften. “I’m glad I can make you feel that way,” she replies.

“I think I would’ve probably fainted without you,” she adds with a little laugh. “So I suppose it’s mutual. I thought it’d be a lot worse, honestly. I can barely even raise my hand in class.”

He laughs as well. Careful as to not startle her, he brings her closer until he cradles her head against him. When she rests her chin on his shoulder and wraps her arms around him, he sighs and embraces her as well.

It’s a sappy thought, perhaps silly even, but whenever they hug, it’s like the whole world stands still. When they’re this close, he feels like it’s just the two of them in their own little bubble.

While she closes her eyes, his lips brush over her temple. The contact makes her blush but she doesn’t pull away.

Lucy Gray begins to sing and even though her song is one of sadness, June smiles at Treech when they part.

“Look, there’s my ride,” he muses and nods towards the Peacekeepers that are approaching the two of them.

He ultimately decides against kissing her right now. He wants — needs — it to be slow and gentle and not rushed. He needs something to think back on when things get tough and unbearable in the arena.

June laughs a hearty laugh. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” she says. “Is there anything I get for you? Chocolate? Another apple pie?”

He hums, “How about chocolate chip cookies? You know, for old time’s sake.”

She shakes her head. “That was not even two weeks ago,” she replies. “But alright, chocolate chip cookies it is.”

It makes her feel a strange sense of nostalgia. When the tributes arrived in the Capitol and she went to greet Treech, chocolate chip cookies were the very first thing she gave him to eat. It feels like it was forever ago but it hasn’t even been two weeks.

And yet she cares for him — likes him — so so much she’s willing to do anything to get him out of the arena alive.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then,” he says. “And be on time, sunshine.”

June only laughs, “I will.”

She nods at the Peacekeepers that have come to take him away from her once again but notices they handle him with a bit more care than before. Maybe his stories got to them, too. She doesn’t know. But it’s good to see he’s not being pushed for once.

She keeps an eye on him until he’s escorted out anyway. Her heart skips a beat and when she fixes her ponytail, she considers rushing after him to return his kerchief but decides against it.

After all, she already knows exactly what she’ll give him in return.

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

Treech only allows himself to think once he’s in the back of the van with the other tributes that are already done with their interviews. They’re still waiting for Lucy Gray and as he takes a seat on the bench, he feels a mixture of emotions.

One side of him feels relief that everything went so well. Hell, he almost got to kiss the girl of his dreams — he’ll make sure to do it when he gets the chance to — and the interview clearly left a good impression on the audience.

But the other side of him feels dread. The Games are coming closer. Two days from now, he’ll be in the arena.

Whatever smalltalk Tanner is attempting to make right now doesn’t reach his ears.

All he can think of is June’s father. When they took their final bow and he looked up at the man’s face, he finally realized why he seemed so familiar all along.

It hit him like a ton of bricks, like a cold wave washing over him so hard it almost knocked the air out of his lungs and him off his feet.

He has seen his face before. Not the man himself, but older. The same face, the same hard features, the cold eyes.

Only back then, they were dull and lifeless.

He doesn’t remember how old he was back then, just that it was during the war. The man’s body was dragged through the streets of Seven. He was beaten brutally, gunshot wounds all over his body.

Back then, they celebrated his death. He was a politician, that’s all Treech remembers. A horrible one.

And he knows his own father killed him.

A man that’s most likely his mentor’s grandfather or at least related to her.

He sighs and buries his face in his hands.

They never found out who was behind the man’s death and his father hasn’t talked about it since the war ended. There’s no way June knows.

And he honestly doesn’t know if he should even tell her. Perhaps some secrets are better left taken to the grave.

But doesn’t she have a right to know?

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

After the interview, June doesn’t waste much time. She sticks around a little while longer so as to not come off as rude but as soon as it’s acceptable, she asks her parents to call the chauffeur for her with the excuse of simply needing to finish her assignment and wanting to get some rest.

Thankfully they’re understanding enough and when she finally makes it back home, the house is empty. Of course there’s no staff around — not this late.

It doesn’t take her long until she finds the vials, needles and syringes among the medical equipment in the attic. It’s all old and dusty but she cleans it thoroughly and soon enough, she knows it’ll be safe to use.

She digs out the key from inside her mother’s bedside table and makes her way back to her study. Cas is right, they’ve really cleared out a huge part of the lab because the study is crammed. It takes a while but amidst the chaos, she eventually finds the vial with the label “006” and she beams. A wave of relief washes over her.

This is it — the very thing that might save Treech when it comes down to it. She finally made up her mind and decides she’ll inject him with the antivenom as a preventative measure. Even if he gets bitten, his odds at toughing it out will be better. It might be suspicious but in all honesty, she just hopes he’ll be able to evade the snakes.

Or better yet, the Games are over until the snakes are released. She just needs him to be the last one standing no matter the cost.

Whatever the case, she fills the empty vial she took from the attic and fills it with the antivenom. She’s careful not to let anything spill over and closes it properly once she’s done.

Then, she takes the vial from her mother’s study and fills it with warm water. She retrieves the food coloring and adds a few drops, waits until it’s mixed in properly and compares it to the other antivenom samples in the study.

When the color is identical, she closes the door of her mother’s study with a grin on her face.

From here on, she’ll only need to trust Treech.

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

you glow differently when you're actually happy.

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

so... we know why treech recognized june's dad at least! about time!!! i'm curious if anyone guessed it lol

"WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO KISS" well— who knows!!

next chapter tomorrow? maybe? i'll try!

have a nice day !!<3

memes!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 333 40
"๐ ๐จ๐, ๐ข'๐ฆ ๐š๐œ๐ญ๐ฎ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ข๐ง๐ฏ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐, ๐ก๐š๐ฏ๐ž๐ง'๐ญ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ง ๐ฆ๐ž๐ญ ๐ก๐ข๐ฆ ๐ฐ๐š๐ญ๐œ๐ก ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐›๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐ซ๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐œ๐ฅ๐š๏ฟฝ...
4.2K 217 25
- a story of a girl trying to save Sejanus Plinth but he is too busy trying to save everyone else
59.8K 2.6K 29
- ๐ญ๐›๐จ๐ฌ๐š๐ฌ - "Why are you here? Isn't it a little past your curfew?" Treech spat, avoiding Vera's gaze. Vera chuckled to herself before extending...
20.6K 313 19
In which, the entire world has labeled her as a slut or a homewrecker Or In which, he doesn't care and falls in love anyways