The Sun Without Stars Solange...

By Sybilz

"You who accompany the monsters long forgotten are destined to accept their fate. For your treaso... More

Prologue
The Rift
The Escape
The Deal
The Prophecy
The Feast
The Departure
The Return
The Awakening Part 1
The Awakening Part 2
The Truth
The Power
The Comrade
The News
The Cold
The Hunter
The Reunion
The Nightmare
The Healer and The Mutt
The Calm Before The Storm
The Storm
The Sister
The Combatants
The Bodies
The Intruder
The Informants
Not Even A Star
The Storyteller
The Secret
The Comfort
The Sunrise
The Brother
The Trip
The Barley
The Liar
The Doomsday
The Outing
The Goodbye
The Conviction
The Dying Sun
The Prey
The God and The Mutt
The Warmth
Author's Note

The Sisters

65 6 13
By Sybilz

Reyna's POV

"Hey Frank," Reyna called out from within the crowd, the campers who recognized her voice immediately making way for her to pass. Frank, who crouched slightly to hear what Hazel was telling him, perked up frantically, obviously still a bit intimidated by Reyna.

Where are they? Will is going to miss his chance. Although, I guess I could ask in his place if he doesn't end up showing up, but it wouldn't kill them to send an iris message. Will, when I find you, I swear to god--

"Oh. Hey, Reyna. If you're going to ask about the horse crap in the arena, let's just say that the Ares kids were not a fan of horse stable cleaning duty," Hazel groaned when Reyna made her way over, pinching the bridge of her nose as Frank fanned her face.

"No–-wait, they did what? Nevermind, this isn't about that. The sun is about to set, but I can't find Will anywhere. He thought that Apollo might have some answers about the monsters surrounding camp, but I lost him and Nico on the way," she replied, still searching the crowd for the boy's golden hair.

Just the mention of Nico further tarnished Hazel's mood, a rare grimace settling on her face. She had been colder towards Reyna ever since they'd returned, and Reyna had a feeling she knew why.

She's envious.

"Look, I know you two are having a fair amount of trouble because of the whole quest, but if you can put that aside for just a second, I really need to find Will," Reyna pleaded when Hazel refrained from giving an answer.

"...What's wrong with him?" The question was blunt, and Reyna had no idea how she should respond.

"Why didn't he think he could tell me about it? Why do you know more about him than his own sister?" Hazel mumbled, red from humiliation.

So it's about that, then: I was right in thinking she was jealous. 

"Huh–Hazel, I can't even say that Nico willingly told me anything, considering that he fought me when I tried bringing him to camp. He's been more of a prisoner than a camper these days, and it only got worse after those two campers died. All I know is that he thinks we're in some sort of danger, but for some reason he won't tell us what. "

Nico is afraid of speaking about it with you because he cares the most of what you think of him, Hazel.

"Why would he leave camp? I know they were treating him like the plague here... and maybe that's why he resents my passivity towards the whole situation... but why would he want to leave if Will was at camp?" Hazel asked in a self-accusatory tone. She looked slightly ill--the stress must have really been eating away at her.

Unexpectedly, Frank interrupted, asking, "Can I say something that's going to sound crazy?" 

When they both nodded slowly, he continued. "For a second when Hazel slapped Nico... I thought I felt something strange." He paused, as if pondering his wording for what he would say next. "It was only a split-second--and I could have been imagining it--but I felt genuinely terrified. That feeling when you're being... hunted down by a monster, but you can't pinpoint where they're waiting to pounce," Frank finished, shuddering slightly as if the thought still made his blood run cold.

It was real.

Something really is off about this...

"I didn't feel any–" Hazel began.

"I thought I was going mad... It's been happening ever since we met in the woods." Reyna, who had been anxiously waiting for him to finish speaking, agreed, nodding desperately.

 "...You don't think that maybe Nico had something to do with death of–" Reyna started, but was cut off by Hazel.

"Don't. Fucking. Say. It. Why would you even assume that he...NICO WOULDN'T KILL ANYONE! ... he wouldn't..." she cried out, many nearby campers turning towards them at the outbreak.

I know he didn't do it, so why would I even imply such a thing, especially to his sister? 

What's wrong with me?

"Hazel, we both know Reyna didn't mean anything by it. We're all confused, so we need to focus on figuring this out," Frank added, mediating the two when Hazel continued to glare daggers.

Hazel took in a deep breath of air, her eyes red and menacing, but finally cooled down. "That was wrong of me, Reyna. I know you care about him, and I got.... I just really thought he'd regard me as his sister after everything..." She chuckled. "How can I even be a praetor if I let everything get to me?"

 Now, she looked like the girl Reyna had first met--young and afraid.

Your biggest curse is your empathy, Hazel. I remember feeling just as helpless when I first got the position; heck, it never left me. The anxiety is like no other when lives are on the line, especially when you care so much about them. 

"Hazel. You are a better praetor than I could have ever been, and I know the responsibility strips you of all your freedom. In a way, even though you're nothing but kids yourself, it has a way of stealing your right to be children. But realize that I would never give up the position unless I knew for sure that Camp Jupiter would be in better hands. Don't ever take my confidence in your capabilities for granted." Reyna turned to Frank, declaring, "This applies to you, too, Frank."

Hazel seemed slightly reassured, still frowning but her eyes had softened. She reached out for Reyna's hand and held it between her two hands, saying, "I'm glad Nico has you, Reyna. I really am. I'm sorry." Reyna smiled, slightly surprised by the gesture.

Reyna finally broke eye contact, searching the crowd once again on tip-toe, and Frank straightened, joining her, towering much taller than she. While Reyna did spot Annabeth alongside Percy only twenty feet away, waving when their eyes met, there was no sign of Will nor Nico.

Meanwhile, Hazel crouched down, fingers spread and carving into the dirt, eyes closed. Her brows furrowed and the earth around her shifted, responding to her touch. 

However, seconds later, beads of sweat ran down her cheeks, and she shrieked, tearing her hand away as if she'd been burned.

"Hazel!" Frank yelled, kneeling next to her and steadying her body.

What happened?

"I–I felt it," Hazel murmured, pale and transpiring.

Before Reyna could ask what she meant, she heard applause and the dirt flew from the skidding of a glimmering, gold chariot.

Show off.

"Go, Reyna. We'll catch up," Frank instructed, half-carrying Hazel and caressing her forehead, wiping away at the sweat with his sleeve. Reyna could tell that she wanted to say something, but her head dropped, eyelids drooping as she fell unconscious. 

Although conflicted, she headed towards Percy and Annabeth, who were unaware of the predicament, conversing with Apollo in a serious manner, not sharing the same joy as the rest of the campers.

"...have been in disorder, too. We can't seem to catch a break with these hordes of monsters. The Doors of Death seem functional, but it seems like someone is guiding them to exits of Tartarus from the inside," Apollo continued, nodding towards Reyna when she made it to Annabeth's right.

"Do you have any idea of their motive?" Annabeth interrogated, her gray eyes sharply staring the god down, but still acknowledging Reyna, as if prompting her to join in on the question.

Apollo shook his head to all of their disappointment.

"You wouldn't know where Will is?" the god asked hesitantly after some time, which was unusual for the usually cocky man.

"No... he was with Nico, but I haven't been able to find them," Reyna replied flatly, rather annoyed.

If I find those two kissing behind one of the shops, I'll have Hazel make them clean the crap in the arena.

"I thought that much. I'm ashamed to admit that we didn't part on very good terms." Apollo chuckled dryly.

What is that supposed to mean?

 The guttural cry of a young camper pierced through the crowd, causing many to whip around towards the sound.

Percy moved forwards to assess the situation, but there was no need. The mass parted and, although it was relatively dark despite except for the bright decorations, the dying flora was evident, spreading like a plague, inching closer to them.

"Nico...? I've been looking for you! Where the hell have you and... where's Will?" Reyna demanded stomping towards him.

Nico did not respond, his bangs covering his eyes, making it hard to distinguish his expression. He continued to walk towards the four of them in a trance-like manner, but something in both his demeanor and aura caused the rift of campers around him to widen.

"Where's Will?" Reyna implored. "Would it kill you to answer when I ask you someth--" She grabbed for Nico's shoulder, but Annabeth was quicker, yanking Reyna towards her with so much brute strength that Reyna stumbled.

What the hell?!

"WhEre'S WILl?"

"wHErE's wiLl?"

"WHerE's WILl?"

Oh my god. What are those?

Behind Nico, mangled creatures crawled in a sickening manner, their eyes remaining fixed on Nico, voices reminding Reyna of the screeches of a hyena.

This time, Percy spoke up. "Run, Nico!"

"Go AwAY!" the smallest of the monsters shrieked, curling towards Nico's feet at Percy's order. Reyna knew it was insane to even think, but the voice reminded her of Nico's and, when she turned towards Percy to gage the situation, she saw him turn pale.

"I HaTE yoU!" Now, Annabeth, too, seemed shocked, as if she were reliving a nightmare.

"I WiSh YoU wERE deAd!" 

Reyna was certain now that the voices were too close to Nico's to be coincidence, just higher in pitch, like that of a young child.

Apollo, who was taken aback at first, finally spoke. "These are cacodemons. It seems that they are somehow linked to Nico's consciousness, so don't attack just yet." However, the instruction had no effect since no one had drawn their weapons yet, understandable considering Reyna and Apollo seemed to be the only ones in possession of weapons there.

"Don't these belong to Nyx?" Annabeth asked, holding her ground as the temperature dropped below freezing, Nico growing closer with a gait like one of his undead. Almost immediately after saying so, though, she and Percy finally realized the culprit that had entrapped both Bob and Nico in Tartarus.

Before anyone could respond, Nico locked eyes with Reyna for a fragment of a second, allowing her a glimpse of the chasms beyond them. 

The smallest cacodemon cried out to her, "YOU PROMISED," before Nico lunged at the god.

Author's Note

This chapter is dedicated to book_and_cheese, who held me at gunpoint for more of the story. I'll finish it, I swear T-T

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.5K 3.4K 19
Disclaimer: I believe this story is too poorly put together to enter into the wattys. I'm sorry -- Neighbor au-- Disclaimer: ALL CHARACTERS BELONG T...
160K 2.2K 43
basically what the title says PLEASE NOTE: I WROTE THE FIRST CHAPTER BEFORE QUARANTINE, SO MY WRITING *hopefully* IMPROVES WITH EVERY CHAPTER!!! YES...
9.7K 334 16
Nico diAngelo didn't really have a problem with moving, he just continued his life how it was before. Writing, listening to music, sitting in the bac...
12.5K 498 37
(Im aware that the title doesn't match the cover)) Nico is a foreign exchange student from Italy, now he finds himself in the new surroundings of a s...