Devoted To You || Gilbert Bly...

By RenAintNoSaint

"๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฌ๐ก ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐๐ž๐ฏ๐จ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž." _______________... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐“Œ๐‘œ
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐“‡๐‘’๐‘’
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII

L

444 10 3
By RenAintNoSaint

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Ecstatic. A noun. Meaning, subject to or in a state of ecstasy; full of joy; rapturous:
_________________________

In the quietude of the night, I found myself cradling Delphine, who had stirred in her sleep. The soft cries grew louder, prompting me to gently pick her up and sway back and forth, trying to soothe her.

"Come on, Delly." I whisper as I walk around the room with her. "I have a very busy day ahead of me."

Gilbert and I have to go to Charlottetown to go over the funeral arrangements. It's been a few days since Mary left us. It has been very hard but we have been doing our best. We agreed to take turns taking care of Delphine, to make things easier on Bash.

I hold her close to my chest, trying to calm her down. In the hushed atmosphere, the echoes of "Lavender Blue" began to escape my lips, a lullaby that my mother would sing to me. I'd heard Mary singing it to Delly in the early stages of her pregnancy. The sweet melody danced in the air, and I swayed in front of the window.

"Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green.
When I am king, dilly dilly,
You shall be queen."

As the song unfolded, Delphine's cries gradually softened, as if the verses carried a magic all their own. The lilting notes hovered in the air, creating a cocoon of peace around us.

"Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so."

"Ada?" Gilbert's voice, a tender murmur, broke through the quiet as he entered the room, concern etched across his face.

I flinched when I heard his voice making Delly whine. "I didn't hear you come in," I admitted, adjusting my hold on Delphine.

"Sorry she just seemed to be crying more than usual." His gaze lingered on the scene, a shared understanding passing between us. "But she seems to have found comfort in your song," he observed, a hint of a smile softening his features.

I nodded, feeling the weight of the night lift momentarily. "I thought a familiar melody would be— comforting." I chuckle.

Delly's whines morph back into a cry. I sigh, patting her bum. I hum the lullaby once more, though she can barely hear it.

"Might I make a suggestion?" Gilbert asks. I nod in response and he takes Delphine from my arms. He grabs one of her blankets and swaddles her. Her cry goes back to a subtle whine. I clap softly before falling back onto my bed.

"Mary made this seem so easy." I yawn.

Gilbert placed Delly beside me before taking a seat on the bed. "You're doing a remarkable job, Ada. Mary would be proud of how you're caring for Delphine."

I smile at his compliment. My eyes are drawn to the ceiling and a sigh escapes my lips."You know, six months ago, I would've never imagined I'd be back here, singing lullabies in the middle of the night to my best friend's baby," I confessed, my gaze drifting back to Delphine's peaceful state. "But I'll do whatever it takes to give her the love and comfort she needs."

Gilbert's eyes held a mixture of curiosity and concern. "Where did you see yourself?"

"At that point, I saw a Finishing School graduate, a—"

"I thought you did graduate?" Gilbert gives me a confused look.

I sighed, feeling the weight of the unspoken truth pressing on me. "I was kicked out of Newhaven. Expelled, to be precise. I was never good at conforming to their rigid expectations, and, well, they decided I wasn't the right fit."

His brow furrowed in surprise. "Kicked out? But that's where your trust fund is tied, isn't it?"

I nodded, the knot of uncertainty tightening within me. "Yes, and without completing Finishing School, I may never get access to the funds my mother left for me." I turn over to lay on my back. "It's like watching my future slip away, Gilbert, and I don't know how to regain control."

"I probably shouldn't be giving out advice, since even I don't know what to do with my life." Gilbert turns over as well. "Who all knows?"

I sigh. "Just you."

"What an honor." He sarcastically replies.

"I'd punch you if Delphine weren't in between us." I say making us both giggle.

"You are not a refined young woman. I don't know how I didn't see the signs."

"You were too busy ignoring me." is what I want to say. "Me either." I breathe out. "I haven't even been wearing a corset."

"I do recall you writing in one of your letters, "These things are ghastly!" He says dramatically making me laugh a little too loud. I clasp a hand over my mouth as Delphine stirred once again.

"Your turn." Gilbert snickers. I turn back over and begin to hum the lullaby again. "Sing, Ada." He says making my blush.

I began to sing the familiar melody.

"Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green.
When I am king, dilly dilly,
You shall be queen."

As I continued, I felt the weight of Gilbert's gaze on me. Our eyes met, a silent understanding passing between us. He began to sing along.

"Lavender's green,
Dilly dilly,
Lavender's blue,
If you love me,
Dilly dilly,
I will love you."

My face reddened as he said the last few lines rather firmly. I yawn as we continue to hum the melody. Gilbert, with a mischievous glint in his eyes, gently reached over Delphine and lightly tugged at a strand of my hair that had fallen in front of my face. A playful smile danced on his lips as he whispered, "Just making sure you're still awake."

The tender gesture, infused with a hint of teasing, brought a soft chuckle to my lips. Before we drifted into sleep, I felt the warmth of his presence and the subtle connection that seemed to transcend the worries of the waking world.

***

We arrived in Charlottetown around lunchtime. Gilbert, Sebastian, and I split up. Bash went for the bog, Gilbert went for Dr. Ward's, and I for Aunt Jo's.

The dread in my stomach continues to build as the carriage stops in front of Josephine's home. I take in the grand splendor of her house. I felt like a princess when I lived here. That feels like a lifetime ago. So much has changed.

I approach the door and give a firm knock, Rollings answers the door. His eyes widen as he takes in the sight of me. "Miss Smith. It's about time you came to visit."

"Nice to see you too, Rollings." I reply sarcastically as he lets me in. "Where might Aunt Jo be?"

"She and Cole are upstairs assisting Anne." I furrow my brows at his statement. "Something about finding information on her parents."

I nod. "In that case, I shall wait in the library. Do alert her of my presence." He nods before we silently part ways.

I stroll down the familiar halls and take in the decor. I reach the library and inspect it. Looks like she finished Northanger Abbey.

As I run my fingers along the spines of the books in Aunt Josephine's library, the memories of countless afternoons spent immersed in these literary worlds flood back. The scent of aged paper and leather bindings brings a comforting sense of nostalgia.

I glance around at the orderly shelves, appreciating the eclectic collection of classics and hidden gems. The room holds the same timeless charm that has always fascinated me. Lost in thought, I'm startled when I hear the distinct sound of someone clearing their throat.

Turning swiftly, I find Aunt Josephine standing at the doorway, a curious smile playing on her lips. "Ada, my dear, what a delightful surprise."

I close the book in my hands and return her smile. "Hello, Aunt Jo. There's much to catch up on." I run over and embrace her before we take a seat on her couch. "It's so good to see you. I've missed you dearly."

"Funny." She smiles. "Normally after you've been gone for over six months you'd visit your oldest relative first." She teases before a serious look paints her face. "But instead you decided to go straight for Avonlea and wait a month before visiting your dear auntie."

I gulp quietly. "How did you-"

"Eliza is quite the gossip." Rollings sits a tea set in front of us. "And I received a letter from Newhaven letting me know that all of my funding was for naught." She lifts the teacup to her lips before asking, "How did you manage to get kicked out?"

I huff, throwing myself back into the couch. "I despise the art of refining. Especially when it comes to me."

Aunt Josephine chuckles, taking a sip of her tea. "Refining has never been your forte, my dear. But tell me, what led to such a drastic measure as expulsion? I'm sure there's more to the story than a simple disdain for the art of refinement."

I take a deep breath, the weight of my choices settling heavily on my shoulders. "I was, in essence, not the ideal student they had in mind. My rebellious spirit and refusal to conform to their rigid standards led to my... dismissal."

Aunt Jo raises an eyebrow, her gaze piercing. "Rebellious spirit, you say? This is not the Ada I remember leaving for finishing school."

I let out a rueful laugh. "People change, Aunt Jo. I've discovered more about myself than I bargained for during my time away. Now, I'm back in Avonlea, trying to figure out what comes next."

She studies me for a moment before a twinkle returns to her eyes. "Well, Ada Smith, I always did admire your spirit."

"My mother wouldn't." I sigh. "Because of my rebellious spirit I will never receive that money."

"Not exactly." Jo swallows nonchalantly.

I lift my head up and give her a confused look. "What are you on about you old hag?" I tease.

"The terms of the trust are vague. Your mother states, "She must go to finishing school." She never mentions completion." Jo gives me a satisfied smirk.

My mouth falls open as I stare at her, "You mean?"

"The money is yours." She confirms making me attack her in a hug.

Over tea, I share my dreams and hopes with Aunt Josephine. "With this money, I can buy back my mother's home and perhaps start the building for the inn."

Aunt Jo nods approvingly. "It's a splendid idea, Ada. Your mother would be proud to see you turning adversity into opportunity. I'd say Avonlea needs someone with your spirit."

I beam with excitement as we continue to talk and catch up on everything, but one thought stays with me.

I can't wait to tell Gilbert.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

807K 25.1K 104
When Kate moves to Avonlea from Australia, she isn't particularly impressed with the small farming town, but when she meets a boy that fits her like...
49.1K 428 20
Just random Anne with an E imagines I do requests: instructions in book <3 (closed!) please do not request smuts! All rights go to the Anne with an...
246K 9.6K 47
"Come home some day." Gilbert Blythe has been away for almost two years. Upon his return to Avonlea, he finds that things have changed and there is a...
118K 3.4K 22
{COMPLETED - UPDATED COVER MAY 2021} Following season 2, this story surrounds the relationship of Anne and Gilbert. Including cozy chapters breaking...