Devoted To You || Gilbert Bly...

By RenAintNoSaint

"๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฌ๐ก ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐๐ž๐ฏ๐จ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž." _______________... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐“Œ๐‘œ
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐“‡๐‘’๐‘’
XLI
XLII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII

XLIII

508 8 11
By RenAintNoSaint

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Homecoming. A noun. Meaning, a return to one's home; arrival at home.
_________________________

I wanted to go straight to Aunt Josephine's. But I couldn't bear to tell her that I was kicked out of finishing school. It would be far too embarrassing. So I headed straight for Avonlea. My travel days have been long and tiresome. But as I make my way down the familiar paths, I can't help but feel a surge of energy.

The fragrant breeze carried whispers of apple blossoms as I wandered through Gilbert's cherished orchard. In the soft sunlight, the orchard seemed like a haven frozen in time, cradled by memories and the sweet scent of ripening apples. I didn't write him, alerting him of my return. I wonder how he will react.

As I rounded a bend, there he was—Gilbert, his silhouette etched against the vibrant hues of the orchard.

A playful impulse took over, and with a mischievous smile, I decided to surprise him. Quietly, I moved between the trees, my steps light on the grassy path. In the midst of the blooming beauty, Gilbert was engrossed in picking apples, unaware of my approach.

His brows were drawn together, he's angry about something. I shall find out soon.

Just as I prepared to reveal myself, a twig betrayed my presence, snapping beneath my foot. Gilbert's head shot up, his eyes meeting mine with a mixture of surprise and delight. The apples in his hands were momentarily forgotten as he turned to face me.

"Ada!" His voice carried a genuine warmth, and he abandoned the apples, closing the distance between us with swift steps.

"I told you I couldn't stay away for too long." I smile cheekily.

Caught in the exhilaration of the moment, I couldn't hold back a laugh as he reached me, his grin infectious. Without missing a beat, he swept me off my feet in an impromptu twirl, laughter intertwining with the delicate rustle of leaves.

"You're back!" he exclaimed, the joy in his eyes reflecting the familiarity of shared moments. The world blurred around us as he spun me, and for a moment, time itself seemed to dance with us. As my feet touched the ground, Gilbert's gaze held mine, and the unspoken connection between us filled the space.

"I am." I let my hands fall for his shoulders. Has he gotten more muscular? "I missed this place," I confessed, a genuine smile playing on my lips.

His eyes crinkled at the corners as he replied, "I missed you." The sincerity in his voice held a depth that echoed the unspoken feelings we had left unresolved. "It's really you." he reached for my hand, and together we stroll through the blossoming haven. "I can't believe you didn't alert me ahead of time." He can't stop staring at me.

I giggle. "Last I checked you didn't alert me when you returned from your journey. Besides it wouldn't have reached you in time." He stared at me remaining silent. I stop in my tracks and stare back. "Are you alright?"

"I just can't believe you're here." He whispers. I glance down at his vest, a purple flower is stuffed in the pocket.

"What's this?" I ask, picking it out.

He shakes his head. "Nothing important." He takes the flower and uses it to push a few stray hairs away from my face. He places it behind my ear making me giggle. He grabs at my sides making me laugh as he tortures me. We fall to the ground and I slap his arm.

"That's enough! That's enough." I laugh. He snickers, brushing the pad of his thumb over my cheek.

Before I can say anything else, he leans in, closing the distance between us. His lips meet mine in a tender, long-awaited kiss. The world seems to pause, and in that moment, all the unsaid words find their expression.

"Gilbert?! Are you alright?" A familiar, concerned voice breaks through the intimate moment, and Gilbert and I quickly separate, our faces flushed.

Sebastian's voice then calls. "Blythe? Where are you? Did you get attacked by a wild animal or something?"

Gilbert chuckles, "I'm over here!" He quickly stands and tells me to hide. I jump up and hide behind a tree. "Did I give you two a fright?"

"What were you out here yelling about?" Mary asks. "I could hear you from the stables."

Before he can answer, Sebastian's eyes widen as I peek around the tree, and he gasps. "Mary, look!"

Mary follows his gaze and then screams in joy. "Ada! Oh my goodness, Ada!"

They rush forward, embracing me in a whirlwind of emotions. Tears stream down Mary's face as she hugs me tightly, and Sebastian joins in, his voice choked with happiness.

"I thought you were gone forever! I missed you so much!" Mary cries.

I hug them back, feeling overwhelmed with a mix of joy and relief. "I missed you both too."

They pull away, still holding onto me as if afraid I might vanish again. Mary wipes away her tears, smiling through the residual sniffles. "Gilbert, you sneaky man! Why didn't you tell us she was back?"

Gilbert scratches his head, a sheepish grin on his face. "It was a surprise for me too."

Sebastian looks at Mary, and they share a knowing smile. "You must meet Delphine."

Mary, Sebastian, Gilbert, and I make our way back to our cozy home. As we step inside, I am met with the homey feeling. Careful not to disturb the peace, Mary leads us to their bedroom.

There, in a crib adorned with delicate blankets, little Delphine sleeps soundly, a vision of serenity.

"Oh, Ada, you'll love her!" Mary beams, gently passing Delphine to me.

I cradle the precious bundle in my arms, overwhelmed with emotion. I run a finger over her warm skin, making her nose scrunch up. "She's beautiful. Congratulations to both of you."

Sebastian grins proudly, placing a hand on Mary's shoulder. "Thank you, Ada. It's been a whirlwind, but we wouldn't have it any other way."

After a few minutes I hand her back to her mother. Mary gently places her back in the crib. We gather in the cozy living room, the air filled with a comforting familiarity.

Sebastian leans back, content, and Mary snuggles close to him. "Ada," she begins, her eyes filled with curiosity, "tell us about your adventures in Paris."

"Paris was quite the experience," I begin, regaling them with tales of culinary exploration, charming encounters, and the challenges of finishing school.

As I speak, I notice the flicker of curiosity in Mary's eyes and the supportive nod from Sebastian. It feels good to share these stories with friends who have become family.

Then, the conversation takes a turn. "And Gilbert," Sebastian grins mischievously, "did he really write to you every day?"

I chuckle, feeling the warmth rise in my cheeks. "Well, maybe not every day, but we kept in touch."

Mary shoots Gilbert a knowing look, and he feigns innocence. "I did my best," he says.

She shakes her head. "Why don't you boys give me and Ada some time to ourselves?"

"What are you suggesting?" Bash asks.

"I want a feast." I smile making them give me a surprised look.

Gilbert sighs. "We better get to work then."

Mary and I head to my bedroom so I can unpack my belongings. I show her the pastries I got for Bash and she shares some things that have been happening in Avonlea.

As Mary and I unpack my belongings in the coziness of my room, she glances at me with a sly smile. "Alright, spill the beans, Ada. What's the deal with you and Gilbert?"

I chuckle, organizing my clothes, trying to evade the question. "Oh, you know, the usual. He's a great friend, and we've been through a lot together."

Mary raises an eyebrow, not buying my attempt to downplay it. "Come on, Ada. I've seen the way he looks at you, and vice versa. There's more than 'great friends' there. What's really going on?"

I sigh, realizing I can't escape this conversation. "Okay, fine. There's something more. We're close, and I can't deny there are deeper feelings. But, Mary, it's complicated. We haven't quite figured it out."

She grins, nudging me playfully. "What's holding you back?"

I pause, considering my words. "Timing, uncertainty, fear of ruining what we have. You know, the usual mess that comes with matters of the heart."

Mary gives me a knowing look. "Love isn't always neat and tidy, Ada. Sometimes, you just have to take the leap. Life's too short to dance around what you really want." She glances over her shoulder before whispering. "Personally I hope you act fast because this is killing me!"

I snicker before narrowing my eyes at her hand. "Mary, what happened to your hand?"

She sighs, looking down at it. "It's a long story."

***

As the evening winds down and the remnants of our delightful dinner are cleared away, a comfortable fatigue settles over us. Mary, Sebastian, Gilbert, and I find ourselves in the living room, the soft glow of lamplight casting a warm ambiance. I rock back and forth as I cradle Delphine in my arms. She is the sweetest baby I've ever come in contact with.

Sebastian stifles a yawn, stretching his arms. "Well, I don't know about you all, but that feast has left me pleasantly exhausted."

Mary chuckles, nodding in agreement. "It was wonderful. You boys outdid yourselves."

"It was pretty good." I shrug in a teasing way.

"Those pastries tasted even better though." Sebastian says, rubbing his belly.

As the night progresses, the cozy living room becomes a haven of shared stories and laughter. However, the weariness of the day starts to catch up with us.

"Perhaps it's time we call it a night," Mary suggests.

Sebastian nods, standing up and stretching once more. "Agreed."

As we make our way to the bedrooms, the house settles into a peaceful hush. I get Delphine settled back into her crib and bid Mary and Bash goodnight. The moonlight spills through my bedroom window, casting a gentle glow across the room. I find myself lost in a cascade of thoughts, the events of the day unfolding.

I hear a soft knock on the door, and my heart skips a beat. Gilbert enters, his expression warm and open. "I hope I'm not disturbing you," he says, a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

A genuine warmth fills the room as he approaches, and I gesture for him to sit beside me on the bed. "Not at all, Gilbert. What brings you here?"

He leans back against the bedpost, a casual ease in his posture. "I just wanted to check in. See if you need help with anything."

I smile, appreciating his thoughtful gesture. "I think I've gotten everything unpacked." I sigh, leaning my head back against the bed frame. "It feels good to be home, surrounded by familiar faces."

Gilbert nods, his eyes reflecting a shared understanding. "It's been different without you here."

A playful glint lights up his eyes, and I can't help but tease, "Please tell me you've kept yourself busy?"

"Yes I have." He chuckles. "I've been visiting Charlottetown every weekend. Dr. Ward has been very helpful."

"I'm glad to hear." I slide under the cover and turn to face him. "I can't believe we are old enough to attend college and etiquette schools."

"I can't believe we've known each other for over ten years." Gilbert shakes his head. "Do you remember the time we got caught sneaking into the old barn?" He muses, a nostalgic glint in his eyes.

I laugh, recalling the mischievous escapade. "How could I forget? We were convinced we'd discovered hidden treasures, only to find ourselves facing Old Man Jenkins."

Gilbert grins, "You're Mother about tore our hides."

The room is filled with the soft cadence of our laughter, the playful banter continuing into the late hours. It's as if time has slowed, allowing us to savor each moment.

Gilbert's eyes meet mine, and we share a knowing glance. The air is charged with a sweet tension, and a daring thought takes root.

"Remember the time we danced at the White Sands Winter Ball?" I bring up, a hint of mischief in my voice. "You were quite the reluctant dancer, but I managed to drag you onto the dance floor."

Gilbert grins, his gaze never leaving mine. "Ah, how could I forget? I may not be the most graceful dancer, but I do recall a certain someone stepping on my toes."

I feign innocence, batting my eyelashes. "I was eight years old, Gilbert. Besides, it made for a memorable dance."

Our laughter subsides, and in the quiet aftermath, our eyes lock with an intensity that defies the simplicity of friendship. The unspoken words linger, a delicate dance of emotions swirling between us.

"You know," Gilbert says, his voice a soft murmur, "I've missed this. Just being able to talk and laugh with you without the weight of time and distance."

A warmth spreads through my chest, and I reach out, tracing patterns on the bedcover. "Me too, Gilbert."

As if testing the waters, Gilbert's hand inches closer, his warm fingers brushing against mine. The connection is subtle but charged with a shared understanding.

Our eyes remain locked, and the weight of the unspoken hovers like a delicate promise. In the quiet sanctuary of the night, we drift into sleep, the lingering connection of our shared stories and unspoken words creating a cocoon of warmth and possibility.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192K 7.8K 24
Fanfic based on the Netflix series "Anne With An E" A Winter's ball is being held in the town of Avonlea and a few things happen between Gilbert Blyt...
43.6K 583 17
I Y E A R N F O R Y O U [S E A S O N O N E] [I DO NOT OWN ANY OTHER CHARACTERS OR PLOT LINES OTHER THAN THE ONES I CREATE] [BOOK 1 OF 3]
171K 2.8K 23
You have lived in Avonlea your whole life. Your best friend is Gilbert Blythe and a girl named Anne comes to Avonlea and your relationship with Gilbe...
53K 602 17
"๐‘ณ๐’†๐’•๐’” ๐’ˆ๐’†๐’• ๐’Ž๐’‚๐’“๐’“๐’Š๐’†๐’… ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’," ๐‘ฏ๐’† ๐’”๐’‚๐’Š๐’… ๐’˜๐’Š๐’•๐’‰ ๐’‚ ๐’ƒ๐’Š๐’ˆ ๐’”๐’Ž๐’Š๐’๐’† "๐‘ฎ๐’Š๐’๐’ƒ๐’†๐’“๐’• ๐’š๐’๐’–๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’„๐’“๐’‚๐’›๐’š" ๐’”๐’‚๐’Š๐’… ๐‘จ๐’–๏ฟฝ...