Watching and Listening - An E...

By JohannaJaneUn

One day, False wakes up in an unfamiliar world with no memory of her life. Some time later, after False has f... More

Prologue
Who is she?
Cogs turning
The cat, the scarecrow, and the sign
A friend in me
Don't judge a book by its cover
Routine
Voices in her head
Phantoms
Traces of guilt
A rocky start to friendship
Haunting thoughts
What is she hiding?
Flickers of memory
Building bridges
Nightmares
Festival of the rift
Another world
Meeting with friends
False symmetry
Trying to get answers
Watching
Secretive motives
Expose her
Observation of enigmas
Leaking secrets
Wings
New thoughts
Calm before the storm
After a storm comes a calm
Reunited
Friends?
Unpleasant dreams
Questions
Who's the villain?
Rediscovered
Old friends
And then there were two
Two places at once
Eavesdropping
Come undone
Tagged
Remember
Learning the truth
Replace
Disguises
Slowly figuring it out
Watchers
Angsty explanations
Mind games
Not right
The void tea party
Surprise
Candy
Memory issues
The truth
Spying
Poppies
False memory
Mandela effect
Close friends
Mental
Double life
Trust and distrust
Attack
Aftermath of the attack
Retribution
The animals know all
Lives
1, 2, 3, 4...
In her head
New rooms
Friends in Tumble Town
Set up
Home is where the friends are
Watcher meeting
Allies in Tumble Town
Reclaiming old friends
Almost normal
Power
Training
Weapons
Mumbo's adventures in another world
Her other personality
Dreams
Distracting friends
One last day
One last night
The dreaded day
Mother sun
Watcher versus Watcher
Jimena and Herodias
A win and a loss
Heart
Mind
Soul
Epilogue
Sad alternate ending

Spreading news

10 0 0
By JohannaJaneUn

           Jimena waited for half an hour before she decided that Qiron wasn't coming back to talk to her. Annoyed, she pushed Ginny off her bed and stormed outside. She didn't know what to do.

           She just wandered around Cogsmeade for a while, lost in thought. And hoping that Qiron would go back to answering her questions, because his talking to her had generated more. He acted like he knew her before. Jimena wanted to know how. And she also wanted to know how eating emotions worked and how it related to her wings. Her wings that she'd apparently had before and lost in a way that Qiron was uncomfortable to tell her about.

           Jimena turned a corner and ran into False, or rather False ran into her. The architect was clutching Ginny in her arms like a lifeline and looked more frightened than usual. "False? Are you okay? What happened?" Jimena asked, moved to concern at the sight of her agitated friend.

           False shuddered, and suddenly Jimena was aware of the sensation that she was tugging something out of False. A glance at the tinkerer's slowly calming down expression soon showed what the thing she was pulling was: False's fear. Huh. I guess I do eat emotions.

           "There's been killings," False managed. "People are dying, Jimena, it's not safe." "What? Repeat that," Jimena said, taken aback. False slowly repeated her news about the mysterious murders that had been happening around Cogsmeade. Jimena had no idea what to say. She didn't even know how the two of them hadn't been aware of this before either. 

           Trying to change the subject, she glanced at her copper watch and was relieved to find out that it was nearing lunch time. "Hey, False, it's time for lunch. How about we go to Sanctuary and eat there?" Jimena suggested. False looked happy that she could get away from her empire and the skeletons in the closet it apparently had hidden even to its ruler.

           "And we can both fly there now!" False suddenly realized, looking at Jimena's wings. Jimena grinned. "Do you want to race? First girl to fly there wins!" "Deal, but mind you, I'm an expert with an elytra," False said, all of her fear drained out of her by Jimena, who found out that fear tasted somewhat spicy, which was kind of nice. Only now that she was done feeding on False's emotions, Jimena accidentally spoiled her appetite for lunch, which wasn't very nice.

           She managed to work herself to being hungry again on their aerial race. Apparently emotions didn't keep you belly full for very long. But Jimena was too busy trying to beat False to ponder on it. The mechanic showed off flying skills that she'd reserved just for races; Jimena hadn't seen her fly like this before. False was so adept with her elytra that it was like she was born with them. Jimena, with her natural feathered wings and no rockets, was having trouble keeping up.

           False managed to successfully embarass the girl by the time they landed in front of the Colorful Cauldron; Jimena was red in the face not just from exertion but also from the fact that False had beaten her in a race that was her idea. "I'm bringing rockets the next time we race, and then we'll see who wins!" Jimena told False, who immediately looked comically alarmed. "I don't think rockets would work well with feathered wings..."

           "Oh, hello!" Sausage materialized out of nowhere and kissed both of them on the cheek in greeting. "To what do I owe the pleasure of seeing you two in sanctuary?" "Lunch," Jimena promptly replied. Her stomach growled as of on cue. In her hunger, Jimena started to subconsciously start drawing Sausage's excitement to eat, and then she noticed that excitement didn't taste as well as fear. If anything, it was a bit bland, which was slightly disappointing.

           "Okay, then, let's go eat!" Sausage bubbled, whisking the girls to a free table inside his tavern. As they ordered, Sausage took the opportunity to share some gossip. "Hey, have you heard?" "Heard what?" False asked, sounding slightly wary of what Sausage might be informing her about. She probably didn't want to hear any bad news. "Well, considering you two live in probably the most secluded empire, I don't think you've heard yet," Sausage conceded.

           Most secluded empire? Jimena wondered, and then she realized Sausage was right. Despite Cogsmeade's location, right in the middle and surrounded by most of the other empires, it was rather hard to reach. False never really traded much and she didn't have that much relations to other kingdoms. Jimena suddenly noted how weird it was that an underground empire and an airborne empire was more reachable than a small one atop a mountain.

           "Anyway, I heard that there's a new hermit in town," Sausage said. False stared. "But the rift's closed." "I know! Isn't it weird?" Sausage said, sounding extraordinarily happy for some reason. Jimena tried feeding on that while waiting for her order of fish to arrive, and was glad that at least it tasted slightly better than excitement. "And you know what's even weirder? She's an elf version of Gem!" Sausage added with a flourish.

           "Princess Gem of Dawn?" False said in disbelief. "Yup, that Gem. Across the multiverse there's different versions of different people. Apparently there's a hermit Gem who is an elf that likes collecting heads." "Oh... okay..." False said faintly. "We should meet her," Jimena said thoughtfully. "Oh, you definitely will," Sausage said confidently. "I'm trying to get the L.O.R.E. team to go interrogate her about how she got here even though the rift's broken. Do you want to come too?"

           "Why not?" Jimena replied, shrugging. Sausage clapped his hands. "Great! Now I just need to spread the news about the new hermit." He walked briskly to another table and tapped the customer on his shoulder. "Hey, Andros, have you heard?" 

---

           Gem was feeling pretty tapped out by the end of the day. After her broken leg had healed up, the hermits dragged her around all the empires to introduce her to newfound friends and show her around. Gem suddenly found out how taxing it was to pretend to not know places and people she's known for a long time. It was even worse than pretending she didn't know the hermits. 

           Eventually the tour concluded at Hermitopia and Grian told her to find a clear spot and build a house for herself. The exhausted elf claimed a semi-empty area near the top and decided to build something sort of treehouse-esque over there when she was more awake and borrowed False's room to sleep in. At least False wasn't there to object; Gem knew for a fact that she was still at Cogsmeade spying on her other self. 

           The next morning when Gem was awake she grabbed someone else's diamond armor lying around in a chest monster to put on, along with someone else's elytra. No one could possibly miss these, right? After all, once an item's stuck in a chest monster, it's practically gone forever. Now fully equipped with adequate protection, Gem could now get to work on her house. 

           Navigating the maze of buildings that was Hermitopia was hard at first since she really hadn't been here that much, but soon the elf had gotten the hang of it. Eventually she got to her desired location with a shulker box full of items and started to build. Gem had to be careful to not use her Dawn building style. That would've made people suspicious for sure. But she didn't use the building style that she used back in the hermit world either. Instead she opted for this cute, wonky little treehouse jutting out the side of someone else's house. 

           The walls were made of cherry blossom wood and the roof out of blackstone tiles. She cut out round windows and didn't fill them in with glass, instead letting the breeze rush through freely. A crooked, red brick chimney poked out the top, spewing out smoke from a fireplace that she'd installed to compensate for the cold nights she would get from the open windows. Then Gem tied a rope ladder beneath her door and let it fall down to the ground. 

           Jumping off and flying around it with her elytra, Gem liked the way her little treehouse looked, even if it wasn't in a tree. Although for some reason there were trees growing out the other side of Hermitopia. Gem didn't even want to know who planted them there. Now all she needed to do was put in an interior and her new home would be finished. 

           She landed on the ground and decided to test the rope ladder that lead from the ground floor all the way up to her room and see if it held her weight. Thankfully it did. Satisfied, Gem was about to go and decorate her interior when she turned around to find Sausage standing right there looking like he was waiting for her to notice him. 

           "Wha- How long have you been standing there?!" Gem asked, startled and angry that she'd been snuck up on. She grabbed an ax that someone left lying around on a nearby table. "And who are you anyway?" She added, remembering that she was an elf who shouldn't know Sausage yet. "Hi, Gem. I'm Mythical J. Sausage, but the J is silent." He said pleasantly. "So I call you 'Mythical'?" Gem asked. 

           "No, he's Sausage," Oli said, coming out of nowhere. "And I'm Oli, I'm a bard." "Uh, okay," Gem said. "Who else is here?" She asked, thinking that Sausage probably brought the L.O.R.E. team with him. "Just Katherine, Pix, False, and Jimena," Sausage said. "Who?" Gem asked, making her voice sound confused. Then Katherine and False and Pix and Jimena came out and introduced themselves too. 

           "Why were you all sneaking up on me?" Gem asked, narrowing her eyes. "Because you're new and we don't know you yet?" False asked blankly. "False, what do you mean, you don't know me?" Gem asked, because if elf Gem had just gotten here then she wouldn't know about the other False yet. She had to remember what elf Gem knew and didn't know. 

           "Huh?" False blinked. "You're a new hermit, why should I know you?" "Because you're also a hermit?" Gem said. All the nearby hermits glanced at False in horror, to Gem's surprise. Wait, does False know about hermit False? Did I just let slip something important? I sure hope that wasn't very important. Ah well, probably not that important. Gem had always known that False was from another dimension, so she was pretty sure that the empress of Cogsmeade was just another version of her from across the multiverse. It didn't occur to her that False might not know that. 

           "I'm a hermit?" False asked, bewildered. "Wait, False, why are you taller than me?" Gem asked, looking up. For whatever reason, all the hermits were short. Gem was relieved that she remembered to shapeshift that way, although know she forfeited her tall person rights. "Oh, you're not the same False, are you?" Gem said. "Psst! Gem..." Gem glanced over in the direction of the voice and saw Cub anxiously shaking his head at her. 

           "What?" She asked him, in a normal voice. Cub froze and backed off. Gem frowned. Hm... weird. What did I miss? "What do you mean, not the same False?" False asked, and there was an edge to her voice that made the hairs on the back of Gem's neck prickle uncomfortably. "Oh, there's apparently a version of me here so I guess you're just a different version of my friend False." Gem said casually. "Anyway, can I just get back to building my interior now?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 182 22
George and Dream have been friends for so long that their flirting usually doesn't faze either of them anymore. Until Dream confesses his feelings fo...
231K 3.5K 8
tw; aggressive language/swearing, alcohol mentions + usage, smut, manipulative/abusive actions. - ... "You like how wrong this is." ... Alex was ju...
2.6M 85.3K 54
𝒐𝒐𝒐 ┊Offline! *ੈ✩‧₊°* With a traumatic past that separated her from her best friend, What happens when Maisie finally reunites with him years late...
579K 14K 18
𝐘𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐄!𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒𝐌𝐏 𝐗 𝐅!𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑 The cities had been fighting for what seemed like ages; the towns were plagued by an everlasting d...