Bruised

By JaneLanett

Sequel to Broken. "Memories have the ability of unlocking new emotions. They allow you to relive moments with... More

Welcome Back!
Surprise & Schedule
Broken & Bruised
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
For Core Readers
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 7

91 6 1
By JaneLanett

Monday approached fast and spring break was over just as quickly as it had begun. Makenna felt lighter now that she was out of the house and back in her dorm. But another side of her felt guilty for feeling that way because her parents had done a lot for her to feel comfortable. She did appreciate their efforts but her anxiety about being around or in the house wasn't something she could simply turn off.

Again, she was late for her first class because her parents had made her spend the night at home rather than head back to her dorm on Sunday. Plus, the huge breakfast hadn't helped much either.

Makenna turned, taking the back door so she didn't distract anyone. She pushed through the door and headed inside the lecture hall. She held her breath when Mrs. Kim caught sight of her. She stopped her lecture and kept her gaze on her.

Makenna knew this banter and she let out a sigh in preparation for what was coming.

"Ms. Adams," Mrs. Kim began, "Thank you for taking the time to stop by for the lecture. We appreciate the effort."

"No, Mrs. Kim," Makenna slipped into the back seat, "It's really my pleasure."

There was a hint of a smile on Mrs. Kim's face before she continued the lecture. Makenna felt someone' gaze on her and turned to find Vanessa smiling at her.

"You're late." She mouthed,

Makenna frowned,
"Really?" She mouthed back,

Vanessa's smile widened before she looked away and they both concentrated on the lecture which ended half an hour later. She caught up with Vanessa and they both headed towards Mrs. Kim at the front of the hall who spoke to a few students as others filed out.

"I'll reschedule a re-take a few weeks from now," Mrs. Kim told some of the students, "Don't worry about it. Just prepare for it."

"Thank you," "Alright," and "Okay" were said before the students walked away,

Mrs. Kim's gaze shifted to her and Vaness and she smiled,
"It's good to see you girls together." She packed up her table,

"Have you graded our papers?" Vanessa asked what Makenna was thinking,

"I have and that's all you'll both be getting out of me," Mrs. Kim picked up her bag and headed out of the hall,

Of course, Makenna and Vanessa followed closely behind.

"We did good, right?" Vanessa asked,

"Of course, we did." Makenna said,

"If you're certain you did, why are you following me?"

"Well, I'm here for something else entirely." Makenna said,

Mrs. Kim stopped and they almost bumped into her. She looked from Vanessa to Makenna and fixed her gaze on her.
"What is it?"

"Well, we're kind of a topic behind. I was wondering if you would have enough time to cover everything this semester."

"Even if I don't, you all should because your paper is ready."

Makenna and Vanessa stared at her, dumbfounded.

Mrs. Kim smiled in victory and walked away,
"Now, don't miss your next class."

They both watched her go as different thoughts went through their head about the things they'd read and forgotten as well as the things they hadn't read.

After classes were done, Makenna and Vanessa made a quick stop at Metro Coffee to grab some sustenance before they headed to the library. They were less than two months away from finals and they wanted to maintain their four-point GPA. Makenna knew getting into Law School after graduation would be no small feat especially if she wanted to get an internship in a well-known law firm after her first year in law school. Vanessa had her own path. She was planning on going to the Police Academy during the summer break.

"Have you figured out where you want to do your training?" Makenna asked,

Vanessa took a deep breath and nodded,
"I've been leaning towards TPD."

Of course.
Makenna thought with a nod as they got closer to the library. Vanessa wasn't going to leave Tacoma.

"Leaning towards? Do you have somewhere else in mind?" Makenna asked,

"I uh...I'm not sure."

"That's ok. You still have some time to figure it out."

She watched as Vanessa let out a slow breath and she felt bad for bringing up whatever her worry was about even if she hadn't meant to.

"What about you?" Vanessa asked as they walked up the library stairs,

"What about me?"

Vanessa smiled,
"I know we still have a year after this semester, but where are you thinking of applying to Law school?"

Makenna smiled and pushed the library door open, letting Vanessa walk ahead before she did.
"I've narrowed my search to Washington DC."

"Oh, my goodness," Vanessa looked at her with wide eyes, "That is literally on the other side of the country."

Makenna gave her a small smile as they headed towards their table until Makenna caught sight of someone and immediately stopped. She quickly grabbed Vanessa's hand and pulled her away from view. Vanessa was so stunned that she was unable to find her words for the first couple of moments.

"What is going on?" Vanessa asked as Makenna almost dragged her to the other side of the library,

"Nothing." Makenna headed to one of the tables and got situated there,

Vanessa stood at the side and watched,
"Why are we here?"

Makenna sat down and looked at Vanessa,
"Our table was taken."

"We could've found another one, or better yet, gone upstairs."

Yes, but the stairs are in clear sight of their table. Meaning he would have seen her going upstairs.
Makenna thought and shrugged,

"Mac, we've always avoided this part of the library because it is less ventilated."

"But the AC is on."

"That's never mattered before."

Makenna shrugged as Vanessa narrowed her gaze at her.

"You're acting strange. Very strange."

"You're not the only one who gets to have those moments."

Vanessa placed her bag down still confused about what had just happened,
"I'll go get the textbooks."

"I'll be right here." Makenna said, happily as she watched Vanessa walk away.

Did anyone feel like this week went by quicker than the previous weeks? I have a lot of things I need to catch you guys up on.

First things first, how are you doing? I seriously would love to know that you are ok. You don't have to share anything you don't feel comfortable sharing.

I'm asking because a lot has been happening to people around me lately. Not terrible, but still not the best, thankfully. This made me realize how I take a lot of things in my life for granted. Things that make my worries seem so little, but not unimportant. I'm learning that focusing on the good, and helping others when you can, is a great way to get yourself out of whatever funk you're in. When I say help others, I don't just mean monetarily. You can help people by giving them your time, doing a task for them, lending your ear or shoulder to lean on, or anything.

The world today is so 'me' focused and I believe that's why people lack joy (not happiness) because there is joy in helping others and serving the people in your community. But this is also a great way to get out of our heads and see that the world is bigger than our problems. Rather than be worried about those problems, we can be grateful for all that we have.

However, I do not know each of you or what you're going through. But I pray that you find light at the end of the tunnel.

On another note, I finally filmed the YouTube video for Bruised. Since today is Saturday, I'll be working on writing another chapter, but I'll try to find time to start editing the video. I've also taken time off social media for the Lenten season, so the video won't be up until April (you won't even feel it with how fast time is going). And if you're wondering why there's an update even though I've taken time off social media, I only come on here to post new chapters every Saturday for you.

Again, I would love to read your comments to know how you've been doing lately.

I love you and appreciate you. Have a great weekend.

Love,
Jane.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 29.1K 65
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS 'The Scars Of Your Love' - Emmeline Adams is just getting settled into her new life as a college student in Berkeley, Californi...
8.5K 288 51
We all remember that first love. The one who we fell head over heels in love with who also destroyed us. When Emily meets Jay on her first day at the...
633 74 33
'Nia got a time travel Christmas wish to get back her love. Can she fix her past before it's too late?' Nia and Sam. Friends since 5th Grade. Fell in...
136K 6.7K 36
Kiara always had her focus set on her studies and being the perfect daughter for her strict mother, but when she meets Hayden, she feels like it's fi...