Devoted To You || Gilbert Bly...

By RenAintNoSaint

"๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฌ๐ก ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐๐ž๐ฏ๐จ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž." _______________... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐“Œ๐‘œ
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐“‡๐‘’๐‘’
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII

XXXV

688 11 35
By RenAintNoSaint

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Angel. A noun. Meaning, a person having qualities generally attributed to an angel, as beauty, purity, or kindliness.
_________________________

"So what you're really saying is CP Railways is prejudiced?" Gilbert asks as he stares down the train conductor.

"I'm saying there's no place on this train for your... guest." He says smugly as he grimaces at Bash. "Isn't that right, Isaac?" He nudges a work beside him. "On this train, we put the coloureds to work."

Isaac shrugs. "We might find space enough for him in the back with the cargo."

"I am a passenger. I'm not going to any back." Sebastian says calmly.

"This man my guest. I paid for his ticket."

"Is that true?"

I roll my eyes, having enough of this. "Okay this is ridiculous. You may be a conductor on this train, but you're conducting yourself like a backward bigot. Open your eyes and let progress on board, unless you enjoy being the conductor of discrimination." I spit hatefully before making my way onto the train.

"How dare you!" The conductor spits as we walk past him.

"Sir, unless this train is legally segregated we will be taking our legally purchased seats." Gilbert says, brushing past him.

"Ada! Gilbert! Sebastian! I wondered where you'd got to." I'm surprised to find Marilla on the train. "I have seats saved for you. This way." She leads us to her seat with Rachel Lynde. There's only two seats across from her.

I turn to look at Gilbert. "I will sit over here." I point to the opposite side of the train. He goes to object but I cut him off, "Stay with Bash. I will be fine."

"Okay." He nods and I take my seat.

As the train jolts into motion, I settle into my seat, exchanging polite nods with Marilla and Rachel. The rhythmic clatter of wheels against the tracks forms a backdrop to the subdued hum of conversation around me. Glancing out the window, I watch the familiar landscapes pass by, each one carrying memories of Avonlea. A soft voice interrupts my thoughts. Turning, I find a girl around my age, her attire suggesting a touch of elegance and sophistication.

"Oh thank God." She plops down in the free seat across from me. "I was afraid that I would be stuck sitting next to a crummy old man." She shivers making me giggle. "My apologies for being so blunt. My name is Daphne Arthur." She holds out a hand and I shake it.

"Pleasure to meet you, I'm Ada Smith."

"Ada." She smiles as she draws it out. "Is that short for something?"

"Yes, Adelaide actually. But I've only ever gone by Ada." I shrug.

"Adelaide... I like that." She sits her things down in the seat beside her as an older man tries to take a seat. "Plenty of seats towards the back." She smiles firmly before turning back to me. "So, Adelaide, what's in Charlottetown?"

"A doctor. My friend over there has a bad toothache." I point to Sebastian and she coos at him. "Gilbert and I are taking him for a checkup."

"Poor thing. I hope he can get some rest." She turns to look at me. "I'm visiting family before I head back to Paris."

"Paris?"

"Yes I am attending finishing school at Newhaven." She says making my jaw drop. "W-What is it?"

"I am to attend Newhaven when I complete school!" I whisper.

"Why are you whispering?" She giggles.

I blush. "Well I haven't told anyone yet and— I just found out about it."

Daphne's eyes sparkle with curiosity, and a genuine smile plays on her lips. The conversation unfolds naturally, steering toward the topic of finishing school. I can't help but feel a mix of apprehension and curiosity as I share my doubts with this newfound acquaintance.

"So what's it like?" I ask, studying the graceful poise that seems to come effortlessly to her. She nods, her enthusiasm evident.

"Yes, it's quite the experience. The cultural exposure, the refinement in manners—it's transformative. I'm sure you'll find it enriching," Daphne responds, her words carrying the essence of someone who has embraced the opportunities the school offers.

As the conversation deepens, I can't help but reveal my uncertainties about what lies ahead. "I wonder if I'll fit in," I admit, a hint of vulnerability seeping into my tone. "Avonlea has been my world, and the idea of navigating the sophisticated life of Paris feels... daunting."

Daphne's eyes soften with understanding, and she offers a reassuring smile. "It's entirely normal to feel that way. Change is always accompanied by a bit of uncertainty. But trust me, Adelaide, you'll adapt, and you'll discover aspects of yourself you didn't know existed."

Her words resonate, and I find a comforting reassurance in her perspective. "So do you know French?"

She nods. "Oui. Ma mère m'a appris avant que j'emménage là-bas."

"Incroyable. Ma mère m'a aussi appris. J'ai rarement l'occasion de l'utiliser." I reply.

"Well now you get to!" She beams. I pick at my nails making her ask me, "This isn't really your choice is it?"

"Yes... No... Kind of." I sigh before telling her about the trust fund and the terms.

"I see." She gives me a look of pity. "Well. If you do decide to attend, you can share a flat with me. It's very spacious and the rent isn't too bad. At least you will have one friend."

"Thank you, Daphne. That is such a kind offer."

By the time the train nears its destination, I realize that this chance encounter has brought more than a fleeting conversation. Daphne's insights and encouragement become an unexpected source of comfort. She writes her address and I give her mine so that we may contact each other.

"I won't be back in Paris for another week or so. But I look forward to writing you, Miss Smith." She smiles before handing me the note.

"And I to you, Miss Arthur." I shake her hand once more.

"Goodbye, Adelaide." She waves as she exits the train.

"Adelaide?" I look over to see Gilbert and Bash giving me a confused look. "Your name is Adelaide?"

"Yes." I shrug.

"How come you didn't tell me?" Bash pushes Gilbert.

Gilbert scoffs. "I've known her for ten years. This is news to me to, pal."

"Oh calm down." I sigh, as we exit the train.

"Our whole friendship has been a lie." Gilbert sighs as he gathers our belongings.

"Oh hush you big baby. Let's just get the even bigger baby to the doctor."

"Hey!"

***

"Gilbert Blythe!" Dr. Ward welcomes us with a bright smile at the door. "It's been a while."

"It has," Gilbert acknowledges as we enter the office.

"I was very sorry to hear about your father." Dr. Ward turns to face us. "Who do you have with you?"

"This is my friend, Sebastian, and this is Ada," Gilbert introduces, and I can't help but scoff.

"So I've lost my friend title as well now?" I cross my arms, glancing around the room.

"It's an emergency," Gilbert says, dismissing my comment.

"Yes, yes, I can see that," Dr. Ward remarks.

"It's Blythe that needs help," Bash grumbles. "Cure him of thinking he knows what's good for everybody else."

"That's a sentiment I've heard in this office before." Bash settles into the seat. "Open up, let me see it." Dr. Ward examines Bash's mouth and winces. "It's criminal."

"Blame him." Bash glares at Gilbert.

"I was coerced." Gilbert shrugs. "My judgment was impaired by my need for silence."

Dr. Ward continues to examine Bash. "You have a fever from the infection. I can give you something for both. You're going to have to have some sutures."

"Sorry to be rude, but I can't stay." Bash tries to stand. "They must have doctors who can help me in the Bog."

Ward scoffs. "The only person who can help you in the Bog is a barber who pulls teeth with rusty tongs."

"Blythe, new plan." Bash gets back in his seat. "I'll get fixed up here, and then we go to the Bog."

Dr. Ward prepares the needle and gets ready to insert it into Bash's mouth. Gilbert's eyes roll into the back of his head, and he hits the ground, hard.

"Oh, my!" I gasp.

"Blythe?" Bash leans over, but Ward waves his hand.

"Don't you worry about him. He'll come to."

***

He didn't come to. But Dr. Ward was able to wake him back up using another method.

"I'm not convinced medicine is for you, Blythe."

"What happened?" Gilbert holds his head as he stands up.

"You fainted." I chuckle.

"You want to be a doctor, eh?" Dr. Ward asks. "You sure? It's never pretty."

"He has a knack for it. Most of the time." I remark.

"Well, this is exciting news."

"Nowadays his nose is always in a book." Bash struggles to stand, still loopy. "Ready, Blythe?"

"Actually, Ada wanted to get checked out so you can go ahead and we'll catch up with you later." Gilbert says making my stomach sink as I remember why I came today.

"Sure. If you can find me. I'm going to blend in." Bash remarks making us chuckle. "I will see you soon." He waves before leaving.

As Bash left the room, Dr. Ward turned his attention to me. "Now, Ada, let's have a look at you. What were you coming in for again?"

"I want to see if I'm— pregnant." I spit out making him turn to me. "I uh... I was raped back in August or September and I haven't had a cycle since."

"You poor dear. I am so sorry." He gives me a sympathetic look. "I will examine you but keep in mind you might have to undress for certain examinations. If you are not comfortable then please let me know."

I shifted uncomfortably as I settled into my seat, nervous about what this examination might reveal. Dr. Ward proceeded with a series of questions about my health and any unusual symptoms I might have experienced.

"Have you been feeling fatigued lately?" he inquired.

I nodded hesitantly. "Yes, sometimes. I get more headaches than anything."

"And have you noticed any changes in your appetite or cravings?"

"Well, I've had a strange hankering for cinnamon," I admitted.

Gilbert chuckles, "You've had that your whole life."

I nod. "No cravings."

Dr. Ward chuckled. "Now, let's check a few more things." He instructed me to lie down on the examination table, a position that heightened my unease.

"I can leave if you'd like." Gilbert whispers.

I quickly grab his hand and shake my head. "No, I need you here. It will be... educational. Just don't look." I say making him laugh a little bit.

As he performed the examination, he explained the signs he was looking for. "Miss Faye, there's a possibility that your symptoms could be indicative of a certain condition. We'll perform a thorough examination to confirm."

The gravity of the situation settled over me. Pregnancy? The mere thought sent my mind into a whirlwind of emotions.

Dr. Ward, with a mix of professionalism and understanding, conducted the necessary examination. The palpable tension in the room was punctuated by the rhythmic ticking of the clock, echoing the passage of time that held the answers we sought.

After a thorough evaluation, Dr. Ward offered his diagnosis. "Ada, it appears that the delayed menstruation is likely a result of heightened stress and emotional strain. Your body often responds to external pressures in unexpected ways." The weight that had settled upon my shoulders began to lift, replaced by a mixture of gratitude and reflection. "If you don't have another cycle within the next month then we will do another examination. If you do have one then you should be good to go."

I get myself situated as we prepare to leave the doctor's office. "Thank you, Dr. Ward. This means a lot."

"Of course, Miss Smith. I promise everything remains confidential here." Another weight comes off my shoulders after he says that. "I checked you for any diseases or infections and everything is fine down there. Let's pray nothing like this ever happens again." I shake his hand and thank him once more. "You take care of her, Gilbert."

"Dr. Ward." Gilbert stops him. "Do you need an apprentice? Maybe I could help around here every now and again and, in exchange, you could help me craft my study plan? I promise I won't keep fainting."

"It would be my privilege to mentor you." He accepts. "I've been thinking I might like to share my practice someday."

"Fantastic. Thank you, Sir."

As we stepped out of Dr. Ward's office, the brisk winter air greeted us, carrying with it a mixture of relief and introspection. The weight of uncertainties lifted, leaving room for a newfound understanding between Gilbert and me.

Gilbert, ever the gentleman, broke the silence. "I'm relieved everything turned out well for you, Ada. Dr. Ward seems like a trustworthy fellow."

I nodded, appreciating his concern. "Yes, he handled the situation delicately. It's a relief to know it was likely just stress causing the delay."

He looked at me with a gentle smile. "We will get you back to 100% health." Gilbert's gaze held a warmth that transcended the crisp winter air. "Ada, if there's ever anything you need, any burden you're carrying, I hope you know you can share it with me."

I met his gaze, gratitude swelling within me. "Thank you, Gilbert. Your friendship means a lot to me. Today, facing the unknown, I've realized the strength that comes from having friends like you by my side."

"It's the least I can do to repay you. I can't help feeling like this is all my fault." He kicks a rock.

I stop and I grab his hand. "Gilbert, what he did to me is the worst thing I have ever experienced. But I blame no one but him. He did it. And now I have to live with it. It isn't fair but it's what I have to do. There will be justice. I believe he will get caught one day."

"I pray he does. If I ever come face to face with him— you don't want to know what I would do to him." Gilbert clenches his fist before taking my hand. "As long as you are in my range of sight, nothing bad is happening to you." I smile and give his hand a squeeze.

As we approached the entrance to the Bog, the air took on a different quality, laced with the earthy scent of marshland.

"Sebastian is fortunate to have you as a friend," I remarked.

Gilbert's gaze met mine, his eyes reflecting a mixture of concern and determination. "We'll get him back on his feet. And with Dr. Ward's guidance, I'll be better equipped to help in the future."

"Yes, no more graphic teeth pulling please." I beg making him laugh.

***

"I've been looking all over for you." Gilbert sighs as we enter the laundry shop. "What happened?"

I shield my eyes when I see he is in his underpants. "Why are you standing half-naked in a room full of women?"

"Fortune finally smiled on me." Bash remarks making me grimace. "Ladies, this is my friend and business partner, Gilbert Blythe and Adalaide Smith."

"Forgive me. Pardon me." Gilbert yanks his hat off.

"And you are?" A woman speaks up.

"Name is Sebastian. You can call me Bash, Bastian, Trini. Whatever you like." Bash smiles. It's a smile I've never seen before on him.

"Turns out there's no train until tomorrow so we'll need to find a hotel." Gilbert explains. I would've recommended Aunt Jo's but she is out of town. "Can you recommend one?"

"I know someone." The woman says as she folds some clothes. "Who has a room. She... lets it out to people in need." She hands some blue and white striped pants to bash. "These were never claimed."

He holds them up and chuckles. "I wonder why not."

"Best I can offer." She shrugs.

"What is this someone's name, who takes in wayward travellers?" Bash asks.

"Mary." She smiles.

"That's a beautiful name." I smile.

She smiles back. "She likes you already."

***

"I'm sorry I don't have more room. I hate that you have to bunk with two boys, Miss Adelaide." Mary says as she leads me down the hallway.

"Oh Mary, please call me Ada." I help her carry the extra blankets to the spare room. "Don't worry. I've lived with these two for a while and they haven't gotten on my nerves too badly. I believe I can't survive a night."

She pushes the door open and we find that the boys have already made their beds up and they are comfortable.

"How are you two? Not still hungry?" Mary asks.

"Oh! Or fragrant." Gilbert laughs. "Bless you for drawing him a bath."

"Yes, bless you, Mary. You're an angel." Sebastian gazes at her as if she is a Greek goddess.

"I brought your receipt." Mary holds out a piece of paper to Bash. I start making up a pallet next to Gilbert. I give him a knowing look as Mary and Bash make an exchange.

"You gave me too much." Mary holds her hand out but Bash pushes it away.

"I was hoping for some breakfast?"

"I do know how to cook, don't I?" She smirks before stepping out. "Good night, then."

"Bless you, my angel." Gilbert mimics Bash making me bury my head into a pillow and laugh.

"Tease all you like." Bash shakes his head, the smile still dances on his lips.

"I don't shy away from the truth of how I feel like some fellows I know." He remarks as he crawls into bed. He eyes me and Gilbert making me roll my eyes.

"I don't think I'll sleep much. Too much has happened today." Gilbert sighs.

"I know exactly what you mean." Bash stares at the wall. Thinking about Mary I'm sure.

"I say go for it Bash." I say as I crawl under the blanket. I stay in an upright position as I start to braid my wet hair.

Bash glances at me, curiosity written on his face. "Go for what, Ada?"

I smirk, teasing. "You know, sharing your feelings with Mary. Life's too short for uncertainties."

He chuckles, a thoughtful gleam in his eyes. "You might be right, Ada."

Gilbert interjects, "Well, I'm not planning on declaring any feelings tonight, but sleep does seem elusive."

Bash grins. "I'll take your advice, Ada. I suppose I should get a good night's sleep first."

Gilbert notices my hands working on my hair and raises an eyebrow. "Ada, what are you up to over there?"

I look over my shoulder, a mischievous glint in my eyes. "Just preparing for battle against unruly tangles. It's a nightly ritual."

Bash chuckles, "The secrets of maintaining that impeccable hair revealed."

I give a playful wink. "A woman has to keep some mysteries, doesn't she?"

I finish braiding my hair, the rhythmic motion calming. "Alright. Time for bed."

Gilbert, with a boyish grin, feigns a yawn. "Bedtime already? I was hoping for a thrilling lecture on advanced hair-braiding techniques."

I chuckle, "Sorry to disappoint, Doctor Blythe. Maybe next time."

As I settle into my makeshift bed, Gilbert glances over with a mischievous twinkle. "Sweet dreams, Ada."

"Goodnight, Gilbert," I reply.

In the dimly lit room, the rustling sounds of restless sleep surround us. Except for Bash who fell asleep just fine. Unable to succumb to the embrace of slumber, Gilbert and I find ourselves in a quiet tête-à-tête.

"Can't sleep?" Gilbert's voice is a gentle murmur in the stillness.

I shift slightly, propped up on one elbow. "Nope, my mind's too busy wandering."

He grins, "Wandering where?"

"Oh, the usual places," I reply playfully. "The stars, the mysteries of the universe, the undeniable charm of a certain someone."

He raises an eyebrow, a playful smirk tugging at his lips. "Oh, do tell me more about this irresistible someone."

I feign innocence. "Well, rumor has it he's quite talented, with a knack for making a girl's heart flutter."

His eyes dance with amusement. "I've heard of such a fellow. Quite a character, I must say."

I giggle, "And rumor also has it that he's particularly fond of nighttime conversations."

He leans in slightly, the air thickening with shared laughter. "Indeed? I suppose I could indulge in such conversations, especially if it means keeping company with a charming companion."

"Oh but he hates needles." I wince. "They scare him to death."

"They do not." He snaps, propping himself up on his elbow.

A playful gleam sparkles in my eyes as I continue the light banter. "I've seen the way you squirm at the mere mention of a needle, Mr. Blythe. Quite the sight."

Gilbert feigns offense, placing a hand dramatically over his heart. "Squirming? Me? Never."

"Denial is the first sign of fear, they say." I chuckle, teasingly prodding his side.

He grins, the playful banter weaving between us like a comforting melody. "Well, I'd like to see you maintain your composure when faced with a needle." He leans closer to my face.

I raise an eyebrow in mock defiance. "Challenge accepted. Perhaps one day, we'll put your theory to the test."

He smirks, a glint of mischief in his eyes. "I'll hold you to that, Ada Faye." I feel Gilbert's warm fingers delicately brushing a stray hair away from my face. The tender touch lingers for a moment.

His voice, a soft murmur, breaks the silence. "There, much better."

A shared smile reflects in our eyes, the unspoken connection deepening. I find myself studying Gilbert's face, tracing the familiar lines and contours. There's a warmth in his gaze that lingers, and it sends a gentle flutter through the quiet spaces between us.

Gilbert brushes the hair behind my ear, his touch is tender, a silent acknowledgment of the unspoken connection that has been growing between us. The room is bathed in a soft glow, and time seems to stretch, allowing these stolen moments to linger a little longer.

"I have to admit," he confesses, his voice a soft murmur, "this is a nice change from the chaos of the day. Just being here, with you."

A smile tugs at the corners of my lips, and I respond, "I couldn't agree more."

He nods, and for a fleeting moment, our eyes lock. There's a depth in that gaze, a quiet acknowledgment of the unspoken currents swirling beneath the surface. The air is charged with an understated tension, and I feel a magnetic pull toward him.

In the lingering quietude, Gilbert leans in, his lips brushing my forehead in a tender kiss. The gesture is both unexpected and comforting. It leaves a gentle imprint, like a feather-light promise etched into the fabric of the night.

As the softness of sleep gradually envelops us, I find solace in the shared silence, the laughter that echoes in the recesses of my mind, and the subtle intimacy that has woven its way into the spaces between us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.9K 1.3K 33
"Evelyn you will not talk to that girl. She is too much of a bad example for you." "But father you hardly know her if only you can-" "No Evelyn!" W...
53K 602 17
"๐‘ณ๐’†๐’•๐’” ๐’ˆ๐’†๐’• ๐’Ž๐’‚๐’“๐’“๐’Š๐’†๐’… ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’," ๐‘ฏ๐’† ๐’”๐’‚๐’Š๐’… ๐’˜๐’Š๐’•๐’‰ ๐’‚ ๐’ƒ๐’Š๐’ˆ ๐’”๐’Ž๐’Š๐’๐’† "๐‘ฎ๐’Š๐’๐’ƒ๐’†๐’“๐’• ๐’š๐’๐’–๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’„๐’“๐’‚๐’›๐’š" ๐’”๐’‚๐’Š๐’… ๐‘จ๐’–๏ฟฝ...
807K 25.1K 104
When Kate moves to Avonlea from Australia, she isn't particularly impressed with the small farming town, but when she meets a boy that fits her like...
49K 428 20
Just random Anne with an E imagines I do requests: instructions in book <3 (closed!) please do not request smuts! All rights go to the Anne with an...