Rogues

By Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter LIII

436 11 3
By Caleb_Brosme

- Nathan -

            Gently pulling up the blankets to cover me my alarm started ringing, disturbing my sleep. I cursed to myself before stretching my hand to turn it off. I pull my arms up, yawning loudly as I stretch myself with my eyes closed. Still refusing to wake up, I shifted in bed annoyed, throwing my arm to the side, and found that the other side of the bed was cold and empty. I opened my eyes immediately, lifting my head to see around the room but Caleb was nowhere to be found. Damnit, I was so out I didn't notice when he left. I grow sad as I see his phone on the nightstand. Wait, I can just talk to him through the mate bond. Thrilled to test my theory, I calmed myself and let the connection come to me.

- Hey, is everything okay? – I simply ask through the bond.

- Good morning, love. How'd you sleep? – the voice comes through almost immediately.

I smile internally, filled with joy at our newly discovered level of intimacy. It's comforting to feel his presence through the mate bond. The connection is strong, I can feel his emotions and whether he's stressed, happy, or in danger. For instance, right now, he's glad to be speaking with me. No wonder my parents constantly speak through the mate bond, this is so much better than a phone call.

- Not enough, I fear, I still feel a little bit tired. You know, after everything we did... – I blush a little. I can feel Caleb's joy through the bond, it's so intimate; I love it. – I was kind of hoping to wake up next to you. Where did you go? – I ask a little down.

- I'm sorry, love. I promise to make it up to you. – he assures me lovingly. – Um I had to go to a council meeting. I thought I'd be back before you woke up, but as it turns out, I must go see the elders now. – he adds, dismal and a little angry at the situation.

- Oh... that's okay. Why are you going to the elders? – I wonder, intrigued.

Thinking about it, I don't know much about the elders. Caleb hasn't spoken a lot about them and neither has his family. The amount of knowledge I have about them is almost zero. I mean, I assume they are the pack's oldest and wisest, but that's about it. Back in River Valley, elders were guides, scholars, and philosophers. People would often come to them for advice, even my parents. If Caleb is going to them, then it must be something important.

- It's about my eyes. No one knew the meaning of my eyes changing purple, not even Lawrence. The council seemed quite shocked by the revelation, so, we are going to the elders to try and find some answers. – he explained casually.

- Should I be worried?

After discovering that his eyes had changed to purple, we discussed it in bed. For the first time since I knew him, Caleb didn't know the meaning behind the color which quite honestly freaked me out a little, but he assured me it was nothing to worry about. He looked far and I didn't sense anything off through the mate bond, so we dismissed it for the night and went to sleep. As far as I knew, the only colors were gold, blue, and red. I've never heard about a werewolf with purple eyes, but for not even Lawrence, the delta, to know, it's a bit troubling.

- It's probably nothing to worry about. Maya checked me a couple of minutes ago just in case and said everything looked fine. – he dismissed casually.

- That's reassuring. If she didn't sense anything wrong, then maybe that means it's a good thing. Maybe you're evolving or something. – I say.

- Evolving into what? – he chuckles. – No, I don't think it's like that, maybe it's just something temporary. –

- Well, keep me updated, please.

- Of course, love.

- I should probably get ready for school or Maya will be pissed if I'm late. I'll tell you when I get there, okay? – I say, wondering if our connection can stretch that far.

- Thank you. – he says lovingly. – That reminds me, Alaric asked if you could accompany and help her out.

- In what? – I ask, utterly confused. How can I possibly her, she's like the most self-sufficient person I know besides Caleb.

- She told the council about Jake, the meeting was about that. – he responds. Shit, a huge wave of realization hits me.

- What?! And you didn't start from there?! How'd it go? – I ask completely worried.

- It was a little heated, but Alaric agreed to accept Jake into the pack. Luke... let's just say he's not on board with the idea. – No surprise there. – Either way, Alaric wants you to speak with your parents about letting Jake switch packs.

- Oh, okay. I can do that. – I respond. – So, this is like my first mission as a part of the pack?

- Um, yeah... I guess you can see it that way.

- Cool. Don't worry, leave it up to me. – I say a little bit excited.

This is my first mission in the pack, it's the first thing Alaric asked me to do. Sure, it's only talking with my parents, but I feel useful. It's my chance to make a good impression and show that I can be very helpful. I'm thrilled.

- Just one little thing. – he adds.

- What?

- Don't. – he says confusing me. – Alaric and the council always overreact when it comes to her. There's a good chance it will solve itself, there's no need to get involved. Besides, this is important for Maya, and she wants to do it on her own. From what she said, Jake seemed on board with switching packs, I'm sure they can handle it on their own. – he explains.

That makes a lot of sense, the pack must be extremely protective of Maya. Healers are extremely rare, no wonder they kept her secret for so long. He's also right about me not intervening. I remember how worried and nervous I felt the night we told my parents about our relationship. Sure, I was shitting myself inside, but I knew it was something we had to do on our own. Maya only wants the opportunity to solve things with her mate. Although I must admit, I can't help feeling a little disappointed, I was really looking forward to helping out in the pack.

- Yeah, you're probably right. – I admit.

- I have to go, I'm about to speak with the elders. Talk to you later, love. – he said.

- Sure. Don't forget to swing by your house and get your phone just in case the distance is too long for the mate bond. – I remind him gently.

- I will. Love you.

- I love you too.

Getting up, I started doing my morning routine. I made sure to leave charging Caleb's phone just in case. After getting ready and making myself a sandwich for breakfast, I met Maya at the edge of the town. As soon as she saw me coming, she turned around and started walking in the other direction toward River Valley. Yeap, she's pissed. I decided to give her some space and walk a couple of feet behind. I'm not sure what to say, this is by far the most awkward walk in my life. She didn't glance back at me, not even once. We arrive at River High and sit down at our usual places waiting for history to start.

The first period went by and so did the remaining classes and yet, Maya still refused to acknowledge my existence. She would occasionally speak to me whenever we had teamwork to do, but she never engaged in a conversation with more than three sentences. Looks like someone can hold a grudge. Even now during the last period, working on a chemistry problem I can still feel the tension between us. Maybe I should say something, or I'll end up going back to the Lazarus pack with an angry Maya and the idiot of Jake.

- You're getting the problem wrong. – I say, looking at her notebook. Her blue eyes shot in my direction, silently attempting to murder me.

- Like you would know how to solve this problem. – she snaps back.

- You're mixing up the weight of the elements, therefore you're not balancing the equation correctly. – I point out calmly.

- I didn't ask you for your help, now did I? – she whispers through greeted teeth.

- No. – I agree. – But I'm your friend and I just wanted to help. – I add.

- Well, maybe you shouldn't help and just let me do it on my own. I'm capable of solving this problem on my own Nathan. – her eyes flare with anger.

- I know you can. – I respond honestly. – ... but I'm here if you get stuck. Okay? – I assure her firmly.

We can't speak freely right now, but I do hope she understands what I meant by that. I have no intention of intervening unless she asks me to. Her murderous eyes on me softened and turned into a more dubious and confused stare. The bell rang, marking the end of classes today.

- Finish those problems for tomorrow. Your projects have already been graded. – Mrs. Lin says, signaling to the pile of reports on top of her desk. – On your way out, pick them up. I'll be answering any questions regarding your grade tomorrow. Have a nice day. – she says.

I begin packing my stuff away as I think about the chemistry. It was the reason I got to meet Caleb. I smile to myself remembering that day. Gosh, I was so nervous when I heard my name being paired with his. He was this tall, bulky, strong, and serious rogue that just settled next to our pack. He looked handsome, sure, but he also looked scary as shit. It's been only a couple of months, but my soul feels like I've known him for a lifetime. My Goddess, I can't believe we are mates now. I love him so much and it all started with that chemistry project. Walking up to the teacher's desk, I look through the papers until finding ours, and right there in the top right corner, marked with red ink, an A+. My heart lifts with delight.

- Congratulations Mr. Bryce, your project was the best I've read in years. – Mrs. Lin says with a bright smile. – Please tell Mr. Brosme that I hope to see him soon in class. Oh, and the offer still stands if you want to develop your project here in school. – she adds.

I was about to pull my phone out and text him the good news, but then I remembered he was at an elder meeting. I probably shouldn't disturb him right now. I'll tell him once I get back home. I turn around and see Maya, who just finished packing her stuff, looking at me expectantly. Oh, that's right, she's my partner now.

- Oh, we got an A+. – I say, showing her the paper.

- Cool. Although you guys did all the work, it's not fair that I get the grade. – she says, taking a different tone now.

- It's okay. You helped write the results and part of the research. – I point out. She nods back, giving me a small smile. – Um, so listen. I'll go hang out with Mason and Kaya right now... just call if you need anything okay? – I add.

Maya's eyes open wide, and a soft expression slightly grows on her face. I think she finally understands that I'm on her side. Caleb was right, she needed to do this. I'll just be right here waiting in case she needs help.

- Thanks. – she simply says and unexpectedly hugs me.

- I do believe this is the first hug you've ever given me. – I point out jokingly.

- Shut up. – she responds. The embrace is short, but sufficient for me to see how grateful she is. – So, I'll go find Jake and then we'll head to his mother's house. I'll keep you updated. – she assures me. I nod. – Great, I'll see you later. –

- Bye, good luck. –

Heading out to the hallway and up to my locker, I take out a couple of chemistry books and put them inside my backpack. There's no point in keeping them any longer, I should return them to the library. The backpack becomes heavier with each thick textbook I add. Shit, that is a lot of books. I just hope Petunia doesn't mind the delay; I don't want to be charged extra for them.

- The elders don't know the meaning of my eyes. – Caleb's voice sounds through the mate bond.

It's different from this morning. The connections are forced, feeling stretched and bizarre. This time, I can only hear his voice, but all the emotions are gone. So, this is how the mate bond feels through a distance. Honestly, there's not much difference from a normal phone call. I allow myself to connect with the bond; it's harder this time and it involves a lot more effort. Maintaining the connection is even weirder, complicated over the distance.

- So, what now? – I ask, worried.

- I'm going to see Alaric to see what's next. - he responds. – Don't worry, I feel fine. How's everything going with Maya? – he wonders.

- They are just going to speak with Jake's mom, but everything seems fine. – I answer.

- What about your parents? – he asks.

- They'll go afterward. He should be at home.

- Okay. Stay safe, I'll tell you if something comes up. Love you. – he tells me.

- Me too.

I can sense a little nerve in his tone. He's worried about his purple eyes. I just wish I could hug him right now and tell him everything is going to be fine. I was so caught in the thought that I didn't sense Mason and Kaya walking up to me. I yelp a little with surprise as I close the locker and see them next to me.

- Jeez, guys. You scared the shit out of me. – I say.

- We've been calling your name from the other side of the hallway. What got you so deep in thought? – Kaya asks.

- It's nothing. – I dismissed casually. I'm not sure I should be speaking about this so soon.

- Are you sure? You sure seem worried. – she points out.

- I think I know what it is about. – Mason comments, catching me by surprise.

- There's no way you can know. – I say confidently.

- Oh, come on, man; you forget who you're speaking to. Sure, you might be a rogue now, but no one knows you better than me and I'm going to prove it to you. – he states rather sure of himself.

- Okay, Mas. Give it a shot. – I challenge playfully.

His eyes furrow, analyzing me tenuously. His intense gaze on me made me feel a little naked, to be honest, it's like he's trying to see right through me. He doesn't even blink as he stares deeply into my eyes.

- I'm just messing with you, there's no need for a staring contest to know you finally hooked up with Caleb. – he says rather abruptly, and I choke with my saliva.

- Wh-what? Ho-how did you know? – I say between coughs.

- You can hide your scent all day if you want, but I know my best friend. – he simply says, not answering my question.

- So, is it true? – Kaya asks smugly.

- I mean... yeah. – I admit and both laugh mockingly.

- Congrats bro. – Mason says.

- You dog. – Kaya jokes.

- Shut up. – I respond a little embarrassed.

- So, how was it? Was he good in bed? I bet he has a huge cock. – she wonders.

- Dude! – Mason and I say in unison.

- What? – she says defensively.

- You don't talk about how big a guy is in front of another. – Mason protests.

- Oh, come on, that's not true. I've heard guys literally talk about boobs out loud. – she claims.

- That's different. – I say.

- How is it any different? –

- We don't talk specifics. We only say things like 'Oh, she has a big ass' or 'Yeah, you know she likes it dirty'. Besides, you can tell when a girl has big breasts by just looking at her, it's not the same with a guy. We don't need to know if a guy has a big dick or not, it would just make things awkward. – Mason explains.

- Are you serious? – she asks puzzled. We simply nod. – My Goddess, you are such pussies. –

- Say what you want, I don't want to picture the dude's wiener every time I see him. – the brunette says.

- Whatever. – she dismissed. – Well, was it good? Surely, you can say so much without hurting your fragile masculinity. –

- A: there's no need to insult. – Mason argues. – B: of course, it was good. They are mates Kaya, don't ask stupid questions. And C: can we please start walking? I need to get to the art class. – he adds in a hurry.

- Oh, sure. Let's go. – I say and we start walking. – Answering your question Kaya, yes, it was amazing, but that's not the reason I'm worried. –

- Then what is it? – Mason asks, genuinely concerned. –

I carefully consider telling them. I mean, they are my best friends, what harm could come from telling them? It's not like I can speak with Maya about it, she's too busy right now. Besides, maybe Caleb is right and it's probably nothing.

- Dude, you can tell us; we won't say anything. – he adds. That was the little push I needed, because as soon as I heard that my mouth got loose.

- It's about Caleb. After you know... something changed with his eyes. – I explain.

- What do you mean by "changed"? – Kaya asks, quoting with her hands.

- Do you guys remember how his eyes shine blue? – I say and they nod.

- Yeah, during the fight the first day. I was sure he was going to kill Luke. – Mason comments.

- Well, they are purple now. – I tell them, looking at their confused expressions.

- What do you mean by purple? – Kaya wonders.

- Purple Kaya, there's no other way to explain it. His eyes actually shine purple instead of blue. – I speak frustrated.

- I've never heard of that. – she speaks, dumbfounded.

- Is he okay? – Mason asks concern.

- Yeah, he feels fine, but no one knows what is happening. Caleb acts like it's nothing but, being completely honest, I think the pack is freaking out a little... like I am. – I admit.

- Bro... I don't know what to say. – Mason falls short.

There's nothing they could say that would make me feel better at this point. The only thing that could take away this feeling is knowing what's happening to my mate. He was fine until we had sex. I feel like I'm responsible and I can't do anything about it. It's kind of them to be concerned for us, but let's face it, I'm scared like shit for my mate. What if it's a bad thing, what if he's dying? I just got him; I can't lose him. I'm about to say something when a voice joins the conversation.

- I'm sorry. – a delicate shy voice says. I turn my head to see the smallest of the hunter's kids standing in front a couple of feet away. That's weird, I didn't sense her. – I wasn't prying but I overheard your conversation. You're Nathan, right? Alpha Bryce's son, the one who got mated to a rogue. – she says nervously.

The girl is probably about 5', maybe not even that. She has short hair that goes down to her shoulders. The tips of her hair are painted violet, which helps highlight her big caramel-brown eyes. She looks very pretty and fragile, like a little doll. Her voice also sounds so delicate and sweet. There's no way someone would guess that she's a hunter.

- Yes, that's me. – I say weary and a little confused as to why she's speaking with us. – You're Violet, right? – I ask and she nods. – Oh, this is Mason and Kaya, they are my friends. – I quickly introduce them. I can hear Mason's heartbeat starting to spike, getting nervous.

- Hi... – she says shily. – I think I know what's happening to your boyfriend. – she says. The words hit like a truck; I'm taken aback.

- Wh-what? – I stutter, barely managing to speak.

- Yeah... I think I read something once at my dad's library about a werewolf with purple eyes. – she clarifies.

- Really? – I ask astonished.

- It was a long time ago and the book is old; the words were a bit fussy, but yeah, I specifically remember reading Purple Eyes. –

- Do you think maybe you could show us the book? – I wonder, hopeful.

- Yeah. – she agrees. – My parents are out right now, if we hurry, they won't even notice. –

----------------------

Sorry, I messed up the release dates. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.4K 652 11
Connor has always known that he has a true mate out there and that he is male. Even when nobody believed him, he defended his mate. Even when his fat...
937K 42.4K 72
In a single moment, Simon's life had turned upside down. Homeless, packless, rejected, and without his beloved family, Simon had lost all he's known...
177K 7K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...
203K 6.5K 12
[BxB] ✔️ Before turning 18 years old, Alpha wolves will celebrate their "Lunar Week", a period of time in which they can enjoy life and go all out be...