The Life And Adventures of Iv...

By December_Jones

COMPLETED Ivykit, the daughter of a traitor and adopted by her cruel aunt, is determined to prove herself. Fo... More

Prologue
STAGE ONE - KIT
Chapter 1 - Moon 2
Chapter 2 - Moon 2
Chapter 3 - Moon 3
Chapter 4 - Moon 4
Chapter 5 - Moon 4
Chapter 6 - Moon 5
STAGE TWO - APPRENTICE
Chapter 7 - Moon 5
Chapter 8 - Moon 6
Chapter 9 - Moon 6
Chapter 10 - Moon 7
Chapter 11 - Moon 7
Chapter 12 - Moon 8
Chapter 13 - Moon 8
Chapter 14 - Moon 9
Chapter 15 - Moon 10
Chapter 16 - Moon 10
Chapter 17 - Moon 11
Chapter 18 - Moon 11
STAGE THREE - WARRIOR
Chapter 19, Moon 12
Chapter 20, Moon 12
Chapter 21, Moon 12
Chapter 22 - Moon 13
Chapter 23 - Moon 14
Chapter 24 - Moon 14
Chapter 25 - Moon 15
Chapter 26 - Moon 15
STAGE FOUR - MENTOR
Chapter 27 - Moon 16
Chapter 28 - Moon 16
Chapter 29 - Moon 17
Chapter 30 - Moon 17
THE CLAN OF FALLING ROCK
Chapter 31 - Moon 17
Chapter 32 - Moon 18
Chapter 34 - Moon 19
Chapter 35 - Moon 19
Chapter 36 - Moon 19
Chapter 37 - Moon 20
Chapter 38 - Moon 20
Chapter 39 - Moon 21
Chapter 40 - Moon 21
STAGE FIVE - THE END
Author's note
THE CLAN OF RISING STAR
CLAN OF SWAYING GRASS
CLAN OF FALLING ROCK
CLAN OF TALL TREES
FAN ART
Fanart (2)

Chapter 33 - Moon 18

162 17 99
By December_Jones

“Ivyshadow!” Forestpaw crashed into her the second she stepped back into the Falling Rock camp. “Marblestar said I had to stay here and I couldn't go looking for you!” To Ivyshadow's surprise, her apprentice was crying.

She leaned down to give his head a lick, “I'm alright. You shouldn't have worried.”

Forestpaw straightened, sniffing back tears, “I wasn't worried.”

Ivyshadow laughed, giving his head another lick. Marblestar leapt over to her, his eyes concerned, “what was it? I sent out a patrol to help you - they should be coming back soon.”

“A bear,” Ivyshadow's voice turned serious, “near the west side of the border. There was a kit trapped in a tree near it,” Ivyshadow gestured Moonkit out from behind her, “here she is.”

Moonkit stared wide eyed up at Marblestar and Forestpaw, shrinking into Ivyshadow's side.

Marblestar’s expression immediately softened, and he leaned down to the kit's height, “hello, what's your name? I'm Marblestar.”

“Moonkit,” she whispered, still stuck to Ivyshadow's side.

“Well, it's nice to meet you. What clan are you from?”

“Moonkit?” Forestpaw leaned forward, suddenly interested. “You're Petalpaw's sister!”

Moonkit's eyes widened, “you know Petalki-paw?”

“A Tall Trees kit, then.” Marblestar asked, turning to Ivyshadow.

“Not exactly,” Ivyshadow replied. She glanced down at the kit, feeling a strange connection to her. A need to protect, to nurture her. “Where's Ava?”

Moonkit's gaze fell to her paws, “our twolegs took her away. They were angry that she kept trying to escape the house, so they just took her.”

“That was very brave of you to find us,” Marblestar meowed, his voice reminding Ivyshadow of Blackstripe.

“My mom told me to go here if anything happened to her. She said I have to find Larktail.”

Ivyshadow opened her mouth, but Marblestar spoke first. “You could stay with us, if you want.”

Ivyshadow closed her mouth. Privately, she agreed with Marblestar. Even after all the kit had been through, she knew that Acornstar would feel no remorse in treating her like dirt.

Moonkit looked nervously up to Ivyshadow, as if depending on her to make the decision. “Well…” Ivyshadow glanced at Marblestar, then back at the kit. “You could stay here for half a moon, to see if you like it.”

Moonkit nodded, although she clearly didn't understand what was going on.

“I'm Forestpaw,” Forestpaw announced, “the best fighter in the whole clan.”

Moonkit blinked, and once again looked to Ivyshadow for guidance. Ivyshadow shrugged in response, not sure why the kit had attached herself so easily. “I'm Moonkit.” She looked back at Forestpaw, causing her collar to jingle.

Forestpaw narrowed his eyes at the sound, “Is that a COL-”

“That's enough.” Ivyshadow interrupted. Forestpaw was not the most tactful of cats.

“Ivyshadow, you're okay!” Cobaltwhisper, Redclaw, Topazleaf and Quartzcluster had just returned from looking for her.

Ivyshadow nodded, giving Cobaltwhisper a lick on her ear, “I'm ok!”

“Now that we're all back…” Marblestar turned to leap up onto the rock, “I call all cats of Falling Rock to gather for a Clan meeting!”

Ivyshadow led Moonkit over to the edge of the small crowd, where they settled down. Granitefur peeked his head out of the warrior den before climbing out to join them.

“We have a new cat among us today. At half moon, she will be given the choice to stay with us or return to the Clan Of Tall Trees.”

Moonkit shrank further behind Ivyshadow as all eyes were suddenly on her.

“However, she is six moons age, and I would like to give her the full experience before she makes her choice. Moonkit, step forward.”

It was an obviously desperate move; Ivyshadow had never heard of a cat joining a clan so easily. And yet the Clan of Falling Rock needed apprentices, and Ivyshadow knew Marvlestar would do everything in his power to convince the young she-cat to stay.

Ivyshadow suddenly realized all eyes were on her, and she stepped aside, giving Moonkit a gentle push.

Moonkit stepped shakily up to the rock, looking confused.

“Moonkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Moonpaw. Your mentor will be Topazleaf. I hope Topazleaf will pass down all she knows on to you.”

The small she-cat seemed to finally realize what was happening, and a look of awe dawned in her eyes. Ivyshadow wondered how much Ava had romanticized Clan life to her daughter.

“Topazleaf, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Sandclaw, and you have shown yourself to be loyal and strong. You will be the mentor of Moonpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Moonpaw.”

If Topazleaf was surprised at the sudden ceremony, she didn't show it. Instead she padded forward, touching Moonpaw’s nose with her own warmly.

“We welcome you warmly into the Clan for Falling Rock. Topazleaf will show you the ways of our clan, and I hope that you can find a place here. Cats, please welcome Moonpaw!”

“Moonpaw! Moonpaw! Moonpaw!”

Ivyshadow joined in the cheers, still unsure on how she thought about the whole situation. Moonpaw shot her a nervous look, but was distracted by Topazleaf pulling her away with a smile.

“So Falling Rock is just stealing our apprentices?” Forestpaw asked snarkily.

Ivyshadow sighed. Why couldn't she have gotten a sweet little she-cat for an apprentice? “Acornstar wouldn't have taken her anyway.”

“True,” Forestpaw admitted, “unless she has her eye on a piece of Swaying Grass territory.”

“Forestpaw! What a horrible thing to say!”

Forestpaw shrugged, “It's just the truth. Oh look, someone caught a rabbit!” The dappled tom ran over to the prey pile, already forgetting that they were in the middle of a conversation.

He wasn't wrong, of course. Ivyshadow allowed herself to imagine a life without such a harsh leader, a life in Falling Rock. Kindness would be taught early instead of strength, and maybe she would have felt free to voice her concerns even as a kit. Maybe Marblestar would have listened to Ivyshadow’s warnings about Violetfang, and Willowbranch never would have died - or been kicked in the first place. She could leave Tall Trees and join Falling Rock. She had a choice just as much as Moonpaw did. And yet… Ivyshadow couldn't imagine living without her friends, her family or her forest. The beauty of the trees and the crunch of leaves beneath her paws. The flowers peeking up from behind fallen logs, the sparrows singing cheerfully from their nests. Ivyshadow knew she could never leave her forest anymore than she could leave Snowfall, or Runningmouse. And if that means I'll have to work twice as hard, so be it.

○○○

The last half-moon spent in the Falling Rock clan passed by slowly for Ivyshadow. Forestpaw grew more and more restless each day, and by the end of their time she was ready to give up on mentoring altogether. It was easy to see where Moonpaw fit in, even after just a couple of weeks. She was already joking with Topazleaf and had even caught a bat. As much as Ivyshadow hated to admit it, she would miss the Falling Rock cats. Cobaltwhisper, Marblestar, Moonpaw and even Topazleaf and Quartzcluster.

That was why Ivyshadow found herself holding back tears when the day finally came. “Cobaltwhisper, I wish you good hunting,” Ivyshadow meowed, concealing her emotion the best she could.

“And to you as well. Take care of my brother.” Cobaltwhisper touched Ivyshadow's nose with her own.

Ivyshadow moved on past Granitefur and Quartzcluster, giving them each a brief nod, but paused at Marblestar. “Thank you for your hospitality.”

Marblestar dipped his head, “thank you for your help.”

“I wish your Clan the best Rising Star has to offer,” Ivyshadow meowed, meaning it with everything in her. She genuinely hoped that his clan would grow to become a full clan once again, with medicine cats and elders and kits.

Marblestar smiled, “and I the same.”

Ivyshadow stepped back, giving one final nod to the Clan as a whole before turning to leave, Redclaw and Forestpaw at her flanks.

As soon as they were out of hearing distance, Forestpaw sighed dramatically. “What a bunch of tree saps. Cobaltwhisper was actually crying!”

Ivyshadow turned to reprimand her apprentice, but to her surprise Redclaw spoke instead, “If only your hunting skills matched your talent for complaining, we would be so busy sunbathing there would be any time to cry.” Redclaw glared at the dappled tom, “save your breath or you'll meet someone a lot meaner than Ivyshadow.”

Ivyshadow and Forestpaw stared at Redclaw with identical expressions of shock on their faces. Ivyshadow didn't think she'd even heard him say that many words all in one go before. Forestpaw was just barely smart enough to shut his mouth the rest of the way, leaving Ivyshadow in blissful silence.

The second her paws were back in Tall Trees territory, it took everything in her not to run towards camp. She had to force herself to keep pace with Redclaw and Forestpaw. The forest was as beautiful as she remembered it being. The snow had nearly all melted, and the change had not gone without the trees' notice. The oak saplings were starting to sprout small new leaves of their own, and some birds pecked at the insects scurrying on the ground.

Ivyshadow opened her mouth to breath in the familiar scents as they approached the camp. She could hear the voices of her clanmates; Sunshine and Riverflower discussing motherhood, Branchfall and Pebbleclaw comparing sparrow hunting versus crow hunting. And then - the calming voice of Runningmouse.

Ivyshadow gave up her dignity, breaking into a run. She slipped easily through the camp entrance, and crashed into her mate. Runningmouse turned, a look of surprise quickly replaced by joy. “Ivyshadow!”

Ivyshadow grinned, her blue eyes meeting his brown ones. “I mis-”

“Not ANOTHER mushy scene,” Snowfall huffed, peeking her head out of the nursery, “you both missed each other, we know. Now come see my kits.”

Ivyshadow laughed, breaking away from Runningmouse. “Okay, okay I'm coming.”

Runningmouse tagged along to the nursery, both of them bending down to pad into the den.

Winterthorn was already there, three kits snuggled into his long fur. Ivyshadow felt a purr rise in her throat, and instinctively wanted to nurture them, to feed them. They were tiny, fluffy little things: all of them had their parents’ long fur.

“They are a month old today,” Snowfall meowed proudly, “Shadekit can already walk.” Snowfall gestured to one of the she-cats, a fluffy grey kit.

Ivyshadow leaned down, licking her namesake on the forehead. “I'm Ivyshadow, it's nice to meet you.”

The tiny kit wobbled, but managed to pull herself to her feet. “I is Shadekit. I kin walk.”

Ivyshadow laughed,  “they'll make great warriors, Snowfall.”

Winterthorn’s tail followed the kit as she took careful steps next to him, ready to catch her if she fell. Ivyshadow leaned in to lick the only tom of the litter, “you must be Northkit.”

Northkit glanced up at her, then turned back to sleep, looking disinterested. The tome was the complete opposite of his father in appearance; he had dark brown fur and green eyes, while his father had white fur and blue eyes, but that look alone was enough for Ivyshadow to see the resemblance.

“Northkit, say hi,” Snowfall prodded but to no avail. The kit appeared to be asleep.

“I is Icekit,” the last kit said confidently. She was the only one that took after her parents, with her fluffy white fur and dark blue eyes, “I kin walk more better.”

Ivyshadow widened her eyes in mock disbelief. “Can you? You have to prove it.”

Icekit scrunched her face determinedly and attempted to stand up. Her thin white legs shook, but she met Ivyshadow's eyes proudly, “See? I is more better.”

“Icekit, that's wonderful!” Snowfall cooed. She leaned down to lick her daughter, promptly causing the small kit to fall face first into her father's tail. “Oh, Mom is sorry!” Snowfall meowed worriedly, helping the kit back up. She shot Ivyshadow a helpless look.

Ivyshadow laughed, giving her sister a sympathetic lick. She'd always assumed motherhood was entirely instinct, never considering the fact that Snowfall might have no idea how to raise three kits.

“Goldpaw, what are you talking about?” Forestpaw's voice drifted through the thin walls. Ivyshadow froze, perking her ears. Runningmouse beside her did the same.

“Violetfang told me the most important thing is to be good at fighting,” Goldpaw was saying.

“Violetfang, Violetfang. She's all you talk about,” Forestpaw huffed, “didn't you miss me at all?” Ivyshadow could hear the confusion and hurt underneath his frustration, and felt a pang of sympathy.

“that's because Violetfang is smart. She knows what she's talking about, unlike your mentor,” Goldpaw snapped.

“Ivyshadow is a great mentor!” Forestpaw hissed back.

“You might think that. Violetfang told me all kinds of stuff that Ivyshadow did when they were kits. Didn't you know she tried to kill Snowfall?”

Ivyshadow stiffend, glancing at her sister. Snowfall and Winterthorn were too busy with their kits to notice the faint conversation outside the den.

“Ivyshadow would never do that!” Forestpaw meowed back, raising his voice. To Ivyshadow's surprise, there wasn't an ounce of doubt in his voice. “She teaches me useful things, like hunting and the Warrior code.”

Goldpaw snorted, “the warrior code? Violetfang told me how useless it is. Nobody besides the tree saps follow the code.”

Ivyshadow couldn't take it anymore. She stepped outside the den and around the corner, looming over Goldpaw and her apprentice.

“Ivyshadow!” Forestpaw squeaked, looking instantly guilty. A look Goldpaw should have, not him.

“What's going on over here? Why are you two hiding behind the nursery instead of having your conversation out in the open?”

“We wanted to keep it private,” Goldpaw rolled her eyes, “obviously.”

Ivyshadow narrowed her own eyes, “and what would your mother say about that?” She knew Larktail well enough to know that she would not stand to let her kit disobey the code.

“My mother is an elder now. She has no say in what I do.” Goldpaw meowed flippantly, “and if you'll excuse me…” she stalked past Ivyshadow to join her clanmates in the center of the camp.

Ivyshadow watched Goldpaw go, her tail instinctively tucking around Forestpaw protectively. What was Violetfang up to, and why did she need Goldpaw to accomplish it? Ivyshadow’s eyes fell onto Pebbleclaw once more. Violetfang wouldn't accomplish anything under Ivyshadow's watch.

❤️Don't forget to vote or comment if you like the chapter! Thanks I love you all!! 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.8K 3.4K 42
Dawncurl is born into perfection. Her mother always told her that life was a blessing and that she should never take it for granted. However since th...
84 8 12
Ivystar is a kittypet that has escaped her two leg's home. She joins Waterfall clan, and her rival clans are Meadow clan, Desert clan, and the worst...
111 0 10
BEFORE U SAY ANYTHING FULL CREDS TO ERIN HUNTER Hey I wanted to post this book by Erin Hunter and full credits to her go read her books irl Ik scary...
9.6K 261 54
Horsekit has a great reputation. Her mother, Cinderstripe, saved the clan from the Twolegs. You'd be respected too, right? Until she became mute and...