Scottish Destiny

By Sweetpeas

Lady Kathryn McGregor knew her heart was stolen the first time she saw this handsome knight. When he gallan... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty - One
Chapter Twenty - Two
Chapter Twenty - Three
Chapter Twenty - Four
Chapter Twenty - Five
Chapter Twenty - Six
Chapter Twenty - Seven
Chapter Twenty - Eight
Chapter Twenty - Nine
Chapter Thirty

Epilogue

101K 4K 630
By Sweetpeas

Epilogue

Scottish Highlands, June 1420

Castle McKenna

Grant paced around the great hall, it was just after midday meal and the hall was mostly deserted.   The children had all gone out to play in the courtyard, his Da and two brothers were still at the high table enjoying watching Grant pace.  Few clansmen hung around waiting with the rest of them to hear the good news.

He should be use to this now, this is the fourth time but it is never easy.   A knot was in his chest as he kept looking over at the bottom of the stairs leading to the chambers above.  His two nieces were keeping him posted with updates, but it's been awhile since he'd seen either one of them.

He shifted the dead weight in his arms from one shoulder to the other.   Sound asleep his youngest was, but he wouldn't be the youngest anymore.  Soon, there would be another McKenna born, and hopefully the last for him and Kathryn.

He looked over at his Da now, he was holding Ian and Jenny's youngest, a big smile upon his weathered face.  Another lass, Annabel, she was just over two summers old.    His Da, he was in his glory.    Surrounded by his grandchildren, this last one would make twelve in total.  And those were just at Castle McKenna.  He had another four at Castle Campbell.

Over the past years, many occurrences had happened at Castle McKenna.   The first visit from the newly widowed Lady Catriona proved to be her last visit.   Callum didn't make it through his second winter wasting away his life in the dungeons at Castle McGregor.   Once the spring came around, Gavin, Evelyn, Keely and Lady Catriona made their way for a long visit to the Highlands.

Lady Catriona was there to witness Grant and Kathryn's first bairn to be born that summer.   A lad they named James after King Jamie.   A missive was sent off immediately to King Jamie and before summer's end, the King had come to visit his namesake.    Wee James was presented with a dirk encrusted with rubies and emeralds.   A gift fit for only a King to give.

Love blossomed that summer as well and Lady Catriona now resides in her new home at Castle McKenna.  She is now Catriona McKenna.   Angus and Catriona were introduced, fell in love and married before Gavin, Evelyn and Keely left for home.   Gavin was saddened to know that his Mother wasn't returning with him and his family, but happy that she had finally found some happiness in her new life with Angus.

Angus treated her very well, once they married, he stepped down as Laird.   It was Andrew's time now to take over and lead the McKenna's.   Angus felt he held onto the position long enough.  Angus now wanted to spend time with his new wife without the worries of the clan. 

They wintered at home the first six months they were married.  When spring came, they journeyed throughout Scotland.   They travelled down to visit and spend time with and old friend, Archibald Ferguson.    Angus then took Catriona and they spent several months at court.  Somewhere Angus found out that his wife had never been too.   

After spending time at court and enjoying King Jamie's hospitality, they headed to Castle Campbell and spent several months there.  While they were there, they were blessed with the arrival of Robert and Elise's third son, Evan.  The Campbell's as well were pleased with the marriage between Angus and Catroina.  The clans had been friends for a long time but never had they seen Catriona as happy as she was now.

Their last stop was at Castle McGregor where Angus was able to meet Jamie, his wife Beth, their oldest son Graeme and their second son, Patrick.   They wintered there and then finally made their way back home.    The brothers, Gavin and Jamie, they never saw their Mother so happy and both of them knew that she was finally able to enjoy her life.

The sounds of footsteps on the stairs pulled Grant out of his thoughts.   His two nieces, Roslyn and Fiona appeared, both with grins upon their faces.  He was about to ask them how Kathryn was, when Roslyn spoke first.

"Uncle Grant, tis another lad," Roslyn squealed, jumping off the last step.  

Fiona following her cousin's lead, jumped as well and ran towards him.  "Aye, Uncle Grant, he is a big lad as well.   Aunt Emma said twas a difficult birth," Fiona babbled as fast as she could.

"Auntie Kat?" Grant pensively asked.  "She is well?" He asked them both, nervous because until he heard that Kathryn was well, the knot in his chest wouldn't go away.

"Aye," Roslyn grinned back.  "She is verra well and wishes to see ye.   Your wee laddie, tis already nursing, he is."

"Thank ye," Grant cupped his niece's chin and kissed her forehead.   He then did the same to Fiona and was about to head for the stairs when Ian appeared beside him.

"Let me hold him while ye see Kathryn and your son," Ian told Grant as he held out his arms.

"I'm nae sure Ian," Grant said, not willing to release his little bundle.  "Ye know how he is, twill bellow the rafters if he wakes and see tis ye who is holding him."

"I suppose he will," Ian murmured back still holding out his arms.   "But then I'll bring him to ye and Kathryn.   He may continue to sleep, Grant."

"Ye sure?" Grant grinned and sly grin and held out his sleeping son for Ian to take.  "Tis said that he's just like ye were when ye were a bairn.   Unruly, weepy, only wanting his Mama and Da...tis what Nellie has told."

"Aye," Ian frowned looking down at his nephew.  "She has told me overmuch as well.  She said of all the McKenna's born, wee Aric is just like me."

Laughing, Grant rubbed his hand through his son's lighter brown hair.   Not dark like his first two sons, they were McKenna's like Grant and Andrew, but Aric, he was more fair like Ian and Robert.  Or perhaps like the McGregor's. 

After accepting congratulations from Andrew and his Da, Grant took the steps two at a time to go and see his new born son and his beautiful wife, Kathryn.

"He is beautiful," Grant murmured to Kathryn while he kissed the top of her head.  Their son was nursing hungrily and Fiona wasn't lying when she told him that he was a big lad.  He was by far the biggest of the four.

"Aye," Kathryn beamed looking down upon him.  "Tis just like Aric, same colouring."

"What do ye wish to name him, love?" Grant asked as he tucked some of Kathryn's hair behind her ear.

"Would ye mind if we named him after my brother, Gavin?" his beautiful wife looked up at him with her soft doe eyes, he wouldn't refuse her anything.

"Nae, love," Grant smiled and caressed his son's head.  "He shall be named Gavin then."

When wee Gavin finished nursing, Grant took him and held him for the first time.   Kathryn wished to see the others, so Grant had Roslyn run out to the courtyard so that James and Colm could meet their baby brother.

What Grant and Kathryn didn't expect was for them all to come into their room to meet the newest McKenna.

Grant brought up James and Colm first, to greet their Mother and then to see their brother Gavin.

"Ye named him after Uncle Gavin?" James asked his Da, looking confused.

"Aye," Grant nodded as he adjusted Gavin in his arms so that James could see him better.

"Tis a fine name," Colm stepped up beside his Da and peered over his shoulder at his brother.  "Can I touch him?" Colm grinned and held up a dirty hand.

"Nae," Grant laughed and watched his son frown.  "When ye clean up, ye may hold him."

Jocelyn and Elsa were next.    Both the same age, both beauties Grant thought as he watched them both carefully pat their newest cousin's back.   Soft spoken they both were, gentle and kind.   Both went to see their Aunt and kissed her.

Alex and Donald came over, both of them not really caring.  They were older now, both ten summers old and they didn't play with the smaller cousins because they were considered bairns still and the twins didn't play with bairns.

"Tis good ye had another lad, Uncle Grant," Alex grinned taking a quick peek at his newest cousin.  "For when I become Laird after my Da, twill only be McKenna's who will rule this clan."

"I suppose tis plenty for ye to rule with," Grant smiled up at his oldest nephew who looked just like Andrew.    His nephew would make a fine Laird one day.  He was born with the natural instincts to lead, just like his Father.  Donald was also a natural born leader and Grant was proud of him as well.

Duncan's head popped up now, the only fair haired lad of the McKenna lot. He was Ian and Jenny's only son, amongst the three daughters that they had.   He was a shy boy, not as aggressive as his cousins but willing to learn anything and everything that they taught him.

"When can I play with Gavin, Uncle Grant," Duncan's whisper could barely be heard over the large amount of people in the room.

Smiling, Grant cupped his chin, "Well Duncan, when Gavin can walk, then ye can play with him.  Perhaps in a year or so?"

"Tis a long time to wait," Duncan pouted crossing his small arms across his chest.  "I'll just have to wait for Aric to stop being such a bairn."

And speaking of Aric, his bellows were heard throughout the castle when Kathryn and Grant both looked at each other and grinned.   Loud footsteps were heard in the hallway, meaning that Aric and Ian weren't very far.

"I suppose he's awake," Grant laughed a knowing laugh at Kat. 

"Who did ye leave him with?" Kathryn eyes sparkled at finding out who the lucky person was.

"Ian," Grant laughed some more and cuddled wee Gavin closer to him.

"Och," Kathryn frowned.  "Poor Ian!  Twas thinking ye left him with your Da or Andrew."

Soon enough Ian came barrelling through the door, his face looking haggard and Grant raised an I-told-ye-so brow at him.    When Aric saw his Mother, there was no stopping him.  Kicking and squirming in his Uncle's arms until Ian set him down and Aric ran straight for his Mama.

"Hello my little love," Kathryn crooned in his hair as he buried his face in her chest and sobbed.  Wrapping her arms around him, she pulled him closer and kissed his head.   "Ye wish to see your new brother, Aric?" Kathryn asked him as his sobs began to cease.

"Nae," Aric shouted and then began to sob once again.  Aric wasn't quite two summers yet, so really, he was still considered a bairn.   Grant and Kathryn had wanted four children, but wee Gavin came a bit sooner then they expected.

Kathryn looked over at Grant, silently enquiring why Aric was as bad as he was.    "He dinna sleep for verra long," was Grant's reply.   Kathryn just nodded and cuddled Aric closer.

Noticing that Kathryn was weary, Grant cleared the room of all the guests, but remained behind with Gavin and Aric.   He tried to pry Aric hands off from around Kathryn's neck, but his son had a vice grip on his Mama and it appeared he wasn't about to share her.

"Leave him be," Kathryn softly replied to Grant, knowing that Aric was falling asleep.   She rubbed small comforting circles along his back.

"Love, ye need your rest," Grant softly told her knowing the same that Aric's deep breathing meant that he was completely out.

"I will rest with him," Kathryn yawned and pulled the linen's up over herself and Aric.   "Gavin just nursed, he should be fine for a while.   Bring him down to show your Da and Andrew."

"Verra well then," Grant murmured and as he bent over and kissed Kathryn, then Aric and left the room with the newest McKenna all wrapped up in a McKenna plaid.

A month after Gavin was born was when the missive came from Castle Ferguson baring saddening news.    Laird Archibald Ferguson had passed away from an unknown illness.   Upon his death bed, Archibald has asked his grandsons to notify several of his closer friends.  Angus McKenna being one of them.

Angus and Catriona set out immediately to go and pay their respects to now, Laird Liam Ferguson and his brother Niall.  The last two remaining Fergusons.  

"His grandson," Andrew started to say as he walked his Da and step-mother towards the waiting McKenna soldiers to escort them on their journey.  "He is verra young, isn't he to become Laird?"

"Aye," Angus nodded as he helped his wife settle upon her mare.   "I suppose he is only one and seven, or perhaps one and eight.   Verra young to become a Laird.  Tis a shame that Archie dinna have more time with them."

"Ye will send word when ye arrive?" Andrew asked his Da as he watched him mount his own stallion.

"Aye," Angus replied grabbing his reins.   "I'm nae sure how long we will be gone, perhaps a month, perhaps two.   I will see if young Liam requires any guidance, but I'm sure that Archie taught him well."

"Journey safe then," Andrew replied and then stepped back with the rest of the family as they watched the small party leave.

"Come," Fiona whispered in Roslyn's ear and then tugged on her hand.   "Let us go upon the small hill over yonder."

Roslyn's eyes twinkled and knew who and what her cousin was thinking of.   "Aye," Roslyn quickly agreed.  "But we must tell someone where we will be, otherwise Da will become angry and send out another search party for us."

Fiona giggled remembering the last time the two snuck off and Andrew had the entire McKenna clan searching for the two of them when they were just over the top of the hill, picking wild flowers.  From where they were, even the watch tower wasn't able to see them.   They were punished though and were not able to leave the castle for an entire week.  Ian, being Fiona's Da agreed with his brother because he and Jenny were frantic as well.

After letting both of their Mother's know where they were going, the two took off hand and hand giggling until they reached the top of the hill.    It was summer in the Highlands now.  The grass was lush and green.  Wild flowers bloomed everywhere and the sun was warm upon their faces.

They tumbled down the hill, giggling and laughing until they stopped.  Fiona was lying on her back, Roslyn lying on her belly, they both made themselves a circlet of wild flowers to adorn their glorious hair.

"Do ye think they will remember us?" Fiona asked her cousin as she plucked grass from its roots.

A sly grin upon Roslyn's lips as she tipped her face up towards the sun and closed her eyes.  "I dinna remember them as well as ye, for tis ye who has a sharp memory," Roslyn replied.  "But if I remember correctly, he said that he would come back for me."

Fiona giggled and sat up quickly, her circlet falling from its place.  She twirled it around her fingers and went to lie beside Roslyn and bumped shoulders with her.   "He is Laird now, he's a man.   Soon ye will become a woman and then maybe he will come for ye."

"Do ye think that Niall will come for ye?" Roslyn grinned as she turned towards Fiona, took her circlet from her hands and placed it back upon her hair.  She took her time fixing it, making sure it sat perfectly in Fiona's abundant amount of curls.

"I'm nae sure," Fiona frowned.  "Twas only Liam who told ye he would come back for ye.   Niall dinna say a word to me."

"Well, I still dinna remember much but I do remember my Mama telling your Mama that Niall was smitten with ye and Liam was smitten with me.  So I suppose if Liam comes for me, then he will bring his brother along."

Fiona's eyes widen now with sheer hope and happiness.   "Do ye believe so?" Fiona asked Roslyn, giddy with excitement.

"Tis hoping so," Roslyn replied bumping shoulders with her cousin once again.    They broke out in another fit of giggles.   

"Tis wishing to marry in a lavender gown," Roslyn said now as they both settled onto their backs and stared up at the soft clouds floating across the sky.

"My Mama says that my gown should be green, twill match my eyes," Fiona replied hitching up her knees and then pulling her gown over the bottom of her legs.

"And white heather," Roslyn piped up.  "Tis saying that every bride should carry a white heather posy.  Tis for good luck."

"Aye," Fiona agreed.  "My Da told me so as well."

They stayed silent for awhile, watching the soft breeze push the clouds from one part of the sky, to the other.  They could hear their brothers and cousins just over the other side of the hill practicing their swords play.   Alex's booming voice could be heard over the top of them all, commanding them all like he was already Laird.

"I'm nae sure that I will want to leave home," Fiona said quietly, breaking the silence.  "Twill miss Mama and Da, everyone here," she turned pensively towards her cousin now.  "But if tis moving with ye and having ye in my new home one day when I marry, I will be happy."

"Aye," Roslyn's eyes gleamed.  "Twill still feel like home, for I dinna wish to move to another clan alone."

"Tis a pact then we shall make, we will never separate," Fiona smiled and held out her pinkie finger to her cousin.   When Roslyn linked her pinkie finger with her cousin's, they both smiled at each other.

"Aye," Roslyn said grinning and agreeing.  "Never separate."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 289 13
Fanfiction - Last edit 21/01/23 Iona had never wanted to get married; she didn't need to. She wasn't brought up to be the damsel. When her father spr...
7.5K 712 24
And there she was, in the flesh. Her hair still dyed blonde, but curly again like when I saw her for the first time. She looked tired, cynical. Bored...
284K 12.4K 21
Alexander Hugh was his grandfather reincarnate except for one thing...he was much more lustful. His quiet, calm demeanor gave those around him the il...
1M 49.3K 31
***This is my original work, and if anyone decides to steal it and post it anywhere else without specific permission, I will not hesitate to take leg...