Rogues

By Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter XLVII

187 9 0
By Caleb_Brosme

- Maya -

- No, no way. I refuse. – Jake repeats for the tenth time, very much upset.

- Jake. – I say, trying to reason with him.

- There is no way I'm letting you go back, not after the attack. It's too dangerous Maya! – he exclaims stubbornly, making me sigh.

I'm glad we are alone in a classroom, otherwise everyone would be hearing this discussion. We've been discussing this for almost an hour now. I've been fearing this conversation so much, I wanted to postpone it as long as possible, but Nathan is right, I need to see him. Jake is my mate and as much as I hate to admit, my soul longs for him every time we are not together. I love him. That's why we need to talk this out and get to an agreement we both like.

- The attack is done. Rogues won't attack again, not now, they are too weak. It's fine, trust me. – I say, keeping a calm tone.

- You said that the last time, remember? – he points out angrily. - You could've died! How do you think I felt when Alpha Nathan took half of the pack to your place? I was terrified! I had no idea what was happening; if they were going to attack you or if you were in a problem; I didn't know anything. For the Goddess's sake, I was freaking out back here, Maya! – he yells, tears forming in his eyes, showing me how much he cares.

My heart breaks and I get a strong urge to cry. My body acts with a mind of its own and launches at him, hugging him tightly. I can't fight the tears anymore and start sobbing in his shirt, like a child. I don't have to be strong with him, I allow myself to break down His hands hug me tighter and I feel his fingers forming circles lovingly against my skin. That's when his breath fell apart as he cried against me as well. Our scents cover the room freely, not want to hide my scent from him anymore. We remained like that for what felt like an hour but probably ten minutes. His touch is so soothing, it just feels right to hug him like this.

Eventually, we break the embrace, and my body immediately yearns for his touch. His eyes are red from crying, and he looks away to avoid eye contact, wiping the tears away. His face is all swollen and covered in tears, just like mine.

- I was scared too. – I admit, holding his waist. His eyes interlock with mine. – To be honest, I'm always scared. I act like I'm not because I don't want everyone to know the truth... that I'm weak. – tears fall down my cheek.

- Maya... – he calls softly, wiping the tears away and caressing my cheek. – You're not weak. You're the strongest person I know. – he says lovingly.

- But I am. – I interrupt. – I'm not as strong as people think. – my voice breaks, and a knot wrapped in my neck stops me from continuing.

- Why do you say that? – he asked.

- Because... - I sob and he hugs me tightly again. He kissed me lightly on the lips, easing my body.

- You're safe with me. –

- I'm always scared. – I say, finding my voice. – When Alaric said we were going to settle, the first day of school, when Dyrus challenged Caleb, during the rogue raid, even when I met you and realized we are mates; I was scared shitless inside. Because I knew... I knew that I would come to love and care for you. – I say. His eyes looking at me lovingly comfort me. – I care a lot for the people I love, that's why I don't like having friends. Nymeria and Caleb are the only ones besides my family that I allowed myself to get close to. – I explain further, he nods.

- Why? –

- Because the more people you let into your heart, the more you can get hurt. – I say, holding back the tears.

- Your father. – he spoke and I nodded biting my lower lip to hold the tears. I explained everything to my mate, my whole life.

My dad died when I was barely even years old. He was the most loving dad in the world. He would spend hours with us, just playing and making us laugh. Luke and I were pure perfection in his eyes. There's not a day I didn't feel loved by him. I can still remember his warm arms around me, carrying me everywhere. His soft kiss on my forehead before going to sleep. His laughter...

He was my number one fan in the entire world, so proud of me no matter what. Even when I became a healer at six, he always encouraged me to follow my dreams. It didn't matter that the entire pack said I was destined to be a healer, for him, I'd become the next Beta in Command. When he died everything went to shit. Of course, the pack helped, they would often come and bring food, make sure we were okay, and keep company to us, but the void my father left was too big. My mother was a disaster, she tried holding on as best as she could for us, but it was hard for her. Luke was freaking out; he didn't understand what was happening. So, I had to do the mature thing and take care of him. I learned to cook to help my mother and make sure Luke was eating properly.

- Maya, you were just a kid. You had to grow up so fast, you didn't let yourself mourn. – he says looking at me with sad eyes.

- I can't... – I say, and he looks confused. - The elders said that my emotions were more intense than usual wolves because I'm a healer. So, after that day, I promised myself not to let myself not to let anyone hurt me like that again. – I explain.

- That's not healthy. –

- It's the price I need to pay because I'm a healer. – I say.

- But you don't have to do it anymore. I'm here, okay? I have your back, no matter what. – he says, giving me a small reassuring smile.

I nod, leaning in and kissing him on the lips. They are so soft and tasty, they lift me. I swear that every time we kiss, my feet don't touch the ground. It's like my mind goes blank and I feel so light and at peace with myself; the pain in my heart, and the pressure on my shoulders goes away, nothing else matters. This is the feeling worth fighting for, the feeling of my mate.

- I can't let you go. – he whispers as our lips part and our foreheads are still connected. – So, I'll go with you. – he adds just before I say something.

I put some space between us so I could look him straight in the eye. His brown eyes are staring back at me with so much love in them. Did I hear him correctly? I know we discussed this before, but we never decided anything definite on the subject.

- What? – I say, baffled.

- Your pack needs you and I'm not stupid enough to believe for one second that Alaric will let you go just like that. There's no way he'll hand over a healer. – he speaks calmly, and I stare at him expectantly. – Even if he did, I know you well enough to know that you don't want to leave. –

- Jake... – I say, but he interrupts me

- Your pack is important too for you, I understand. – he says.

- But what about your mom? – I ask, remembering how close they are.

- I'll talk to her, but right now and forever, you are my priority. There is no way I'll let you go back there alone. I'm coming with you. – he speaks seriously, his heartbeat not faltering.

- Are you sure? – I ask, both relieved and mortified for making him leave his life here at River Valley.

- 100% percent. –

My heart fills with joy and happiness, completely outshining the sadness and worry from a second ago. My arms wrap around his neck and pull him into a tight embrace. He hugs me lovingly, with a smile on his face. I can't thank the Moon Goddess enough for sending me a mate as considerate as him. There is no point in fighting the mate bond, no matter how much you try, love will always win.

- You're the best mate ever. – I say.

- Careful, you don't want to boost my ego more than it already is. – he jokes, making me laugh. – I'll talk to my mom and pack some clothes, I'm sure she'll understand. Let's go home. – he says. I carefully consider the options.

- No. – I say, shaking my head. – Not tonight. – I add, wiping away the tears.

- Maya, I don't want to fight about this anymore. – he says a bit frustrated.

- Just listen to me, okay? – I say calmly. – Tonight, we're holding a funeral for all the wolves who died during the attack. It's something very intimate and traditional, the pack needs it to help mourn the fallen. I don't want to take importance away from it by showing up with my mate from the neighboring domestic pack... I know you don't want me to be alone, but I'll have Luke and my mother there, and I swear tomorrow we'll speak with your mother, Alpha Nathan, Alaric, and everyone about us. Please, just this night.... – I plead honestly. This is something very important for my pack, I hope he understands that.

- Will you be okay? – he wonders, concern eyes.

- I'll be fine as long as I have you. I can hold myself together for one night. – I respond with complete honesty.

- Just tonight? – he emphasizes.

- I swear. –

He stays in silence for a while thinking about it. He doesn't agree with leaving me alone one more night, not after the whole mess with the rogue packs. But this is something extremely important for my pack and we can't ruin it. He sighs deeply and fixes a stride of hair behind my ear carefully.

- Okay. – he agrees.

- I love you so much. – I say, hugging him again.

- I love you too – he corresponds. – I'd do anything for you... -

********************

The sun was starting to set on the horizon, the beams of light barely towering over the buildings, painting the sky orange and pink. Things with Jake couldn't be better. After the whole argument, we spend hours talking and making out. Time flies by when you're with your mate. Before we knew it, it was past 19:00 which meant that I had to leave. Like a gentleman, Jake offered to accompany me to Nathan's house and the edge of the forest. I happily agreed since it meant that we would have more time together. He took my hand in his and walked through the city. There is no point in hiding our relationship anymore, after all, the whole pack will know tomorrow. The doorbell rang softly as I pushed the button. Wow, this house is huge, Nathan must be rich. The doorknob twisted and the main entrance opened widely, Nathan appeared, holding a suitcase filled with clothes judging by the smell of it. Alpha Yannis and Nathan were behind.

- Good afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Bryce. – I greet.

- Maya, so nice to see you. – they respond. They glanced at Jake and then their eyes landed on our hands intertwined. – So, you and Jake? – Alpha Nathan says.

- Yeah. – I say shily.

- Maybe our packs were destined to meet after all. – Alpha Yannis spoke, making us smile. – I'm happy for you guys. Jake, take good care of her. – she said.

- Thanks. – we say in unison.

- I sure will. – Jake says, looking at me lovingly.

An uncomfortable silence started to grow as no one knew what else to say. Nathan looked quite desperate to get out of here. I found it quite amusing to be entirely honest, his pale face and blank red eyes. Wait, red eyes? Has he been crying? Oh yeah, right, family goodbye. Damn, that must be hard.

- Well, are you ready Nathan? – I ask, breaking the silence.

- Yeah. All good to go. – he says quickly.

After a quick exchange of formalities, we said goodbyes and departed. The suitcase Nathan was carrying looked quite heavy, I guess he didn't pack everything, leaving some stuff behind for when he visited. The fresh wind of the afternoon blew strongly, giving a rather comforting chilly sensation to the air.

- So, all this time you've been gay, huh? – Jake said out of the blew.

- My Goddess, please just stop. – Nathan said annoyed. Something's wrong, I can sense it.

- Oh, come on dude, there's nothing wrong about it. Admit it, you like dick, it's not a big deal. – my mate continued mockingly friendly.

- Jake please, just shut up. – the Alpha snapped and started walking away faster.

- Looks like someone's in their period. – he nags.

I elbow his side slightly, to signal something's wrong, but as usual Jake simply stares at me confused. For the Goddess's sake, how can he be thoughtful and understanding and at the same time be an inconsiderate moron? They've known each other all their lives, can he not tell that his friend is hurting? I sigh and walk up to Nathan.

- Hey. – I touch his shoulder, making him stop and turn around. – Is everything all right? – I ask. His eyes quickly shift between Jake and me before speaking.

- Yeah, it's just my brother... he's a little upset. – he explains.

- What happened? – I wonder.

- He doesn't understand why I have to leave. My parents are going to start training him to become the future Alpha, but he doesn't want to. I guess... it's all too much for him. He's not doing well with his wolf. – he continued.

- Isn't he like 11? He must've had his first shift by now. – Jake chimes in, not taking a more considerate tone.

- Yes, and it went well during the full moon, but... he hasn't been able to shift ever since. For some reason, his body is not responding. – he adds.

That's very weird, for a werewolf not to be able to shift. I mean, losing control during the full moon or shifting sporadically is common among younglings, but not shifting? I've never heard about it. Especially if he was able to shift during the full moon. I doubt he's had any trauma that might block him mentally.

- I can check on him tomorrow if you want. – I offer.

- That would be very kind of you Maya. The pack's medics say is nothing to worry about, but I'd just feel safer if an actual healer made sure everything is fine. –

- We'll swing by after school. It's probably nothing to worry about. – I say casually.

- Thanks. – he smiles.

- No problem. –

We arrived at the edge of the forest, which meant, time to part. Jake puts his arms around me, pulling me close to him in a sort of protective and loving manner. Our lips connect and I lose myself in his embrace. I'm going to miss him so much, but it's only for one more night. We can do this. Nathan smiles, looking at us.

- Who would've thought you guys would end up being mates? – the Alpha comments.

- Yeah. – I say.

- And who would've thought you'd end up being the bitch of a rogue. Don't worry Nate, there's always a dominant and a submissive in the relationship. You don't need to be embarrassed. – Jake mocks with a friendly tone.

- Right, cause I'm the sub in my relationship. – he says sarcastically, rolling his eyes. - Everyone knows that between you two, Maya's the one with the balls. – he snarks back.

- Ha ha ha, he called your bullshit. – I laugh.

- Really, babe? Are you taking his side? – Jake says, acting offended.

- Oh, come on. It was funny... and true. – I say, making everyone laugh. – We should get going. – I say, looking at Jake. He hugged me so tight it was hard to breathe.

- Nate, please take care of her. – he told the alpha.

- Of course. – the other responded.

- I'll miss you. – I say.

- Me too. –

After a very long goodbye, we parted ways with the promise to see each other the next day. Nathan was already tired of standing there waiting for us to finish. But can you blame us? After a troubling night and three days of not knowing anything about each other, we were worried sick. I'm surprised he agreed to let me go. Walking through the forest, the Moon started to shine in the sky, illuminating the path.

- I'm glad you guys sorted things out. – Nathan speaks.

- Me too. I believe it's for the better. –

- Yeah, it's only been three days, but I definitively don't miss the nights without my mate. – he says.

- Tell me about it. Tomorrow we'll finally be together. Although I'm a bit worried about meeting his mom. They are super close. – I admit.

- I wouldn't worry too much. Mrs. Aitken is a lovely woman, she'll love you. – he comforts.

- That's easy for you to say. You already met Caleb's family and they love you. Well, you haven't met his father, but that's not your fault... - I casually say.

- What do you mean? – he asks, intrigued.

- You don't know? – I ask. Oh, shit, I screwed up again. Damn it, Maya, why can't you keep your mouth shut?

- I probably shouldn't say anything... -

- Maya, come on. Is there something wrong? Did I do something to upset Caleb's dad? – he starts to panic a bit.

- No, of course not, just forget I said anything, okay? – I try evading the subject.

- Maya! – he exclaims.

- It's not my choice... - I start but he interrupts me.

- You're like my only friend in the pack. I don't know anyone, please just tell me. – he pleads, worry in his eyes. My Goddess, Caleb is going to hate me.

- Fine. – I sigh. – Caleb and his dad aren't talking. – I begin explaining.

- Why? – he quickly inquires.

- Turns out that he influenced Alaric's decision to marry Nymeria with Caleb. When Caleb refused, he kind of... kicked him out of the house out of spite. – I say and Nathan's eyes open wide.

- What? – he exclaims

- Yeah... it all happened so fast. The challenge, then the attack and you almost died, they haven't had time to talk things out. – I add.

- My Goddess, so like, his dad hates me then. – he says, but it sounds like a question.

- What? No, no... well, at least I don't think he does anymore. I overheard him talk with Alaric the other day and said something about how Caleb doesn't want to talk to him. He also mentioned that he wouldn't let him meet you. I don't know, I haven't asked Caleb myself because we've all been so busy. Don't fixate too much about it, I'm sure they'll work things out. – I speak.

- I have to talk to Caleb. – Nathan immediately says, completely ignoring what I just said Yeah... Caleb's definitively going to hang me this time.

-------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

177K 6.9K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...
72.9K 4.3K 57
Matt Beven Smith is a werewolf, he has two brothers and he is the youngest among three children. He is the second in line to be Alpha because the f...
249K 9.6K 48
Trevor Harrington is a normal human boy of 18yrs old with three brothers and a 10yrs old nephew living a not so normal lives because his two twin bro...
12.4K 652 11
Connor has always known that he has a true mate out there and that he is male. Even when nobody believed him, he defended his mate. Even when his fat...