Rogues

By Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter XLVI

226 6 0
By Caleb_Brosme

 - Nathan -

           It's been three days since the attack on the Lazarus pack and I'm glad to say that things have turned for the better. I feel much better now, spending time with Caleb has certainly helped me regain my strength back. I do feel a little selfish for hogging so much of his attention when the rest of the pack needs him, but Alaric insisted to take two or three days to recover. The only issue is that I haven't met his family yet, since he insisted, he wanted me completely recovered and well. Besides, they all are busy working to help rebuild and take care of younglings. My parents swung by yesterday to check on me and bring some clothes. It was nice to see them alive and strong and it was even more gratifying to see them working so hard to help rebuild the Lazarus pack. This alliance will certainly benefit both packs. Maya comes by at least once a day to check on me. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that she is a healer, and I can't believe Caleb kept this from me, but I certainly understand his reasoning. My parents and Jeremiah agreed to keep the secret and not tell the pack unless it was absolutely necessary. They also mentioned that part of the deal for me to stay was that I must finish my high school education. So, unfortunately for me, I still have to go to school today.

Moving in with Caleb has truly been a wish come true, he's been so supportive and loving. I look at myself in the mirror seeing my outfit. I've been sleeping these days with Caleb in his room. I smile is painted on my face as a picture of him slightly snoring comes to mind. How can he get even more adorable as he sleeps? It's good to go outside again, I'll get to see my friends and I'll come by my parent's house to pick up the rest of my clothes. I miss everyone so much.

- I wouldn't be so sure they want to see a killer. – that voice whispers in my head again.

It's been haunting me since the attack. I can feel it there, in the back of my head everywhere I go. For some reason, I can't get Klyn's voice out of my mind. It's eating at my sanity little by little, but I don't know what to do.

- Hey, are you ready? – Caleb's husky voice snaps me out of it. I turn around and look at him. He looks so sexy with that shirt that shows all his muscles. – My family is waiting downstairs to meet you. – he says excitedly. I smile in return.

- Yeah, yeah, I'm ready. – I stutter a little nervous. – Kind of nervous. – I confess.

- Oh, there's no need to be. – he walks up to me, putting his arms around my waist and bringing me close. – because they... – he pecks my lips lovingly. – ... are gonna love you. – he hugs me tighter.

- Okay fine, you convinced me. – I laugh. – Let's go. –

Pleased with himself Caleb kissed me one more time before intertwining our fingers with one hand and grabbing my backpack with the other one, hanging it on his shoulder. Walking outside the room I can't help noticing how smaller the house is from my old one. It's smaller but certainly cozier, I love this place. We find our way downstairs and walk through the kitchen door. A woman is facing toward the wall, cooking something. She turns around as she hears someone enter. She looks to be very young with beautiful dark hair and light brown eyes. Two kids are sitting down in their places eating their breakfast happily. And lastly, there's Jamie, the oldest of the three, standing next to them supervising that they are eating.

- Good morning. – his voice calls and suddenly all eyes turn in our direction. They land on me and start inspecting me from top to bottom. My Goddess, the pressure increases, and my nerves start growing.

- Callie! – the little girl says with joy, standing up and rushing to my mate. Wait... did she just call him "Callie"? Oh, he's so not going to hear the end of this. I laugh internally.

- Ally, come back here, you haven't finished eating. – Jamie points seriously, but the little girl doesn't listen.

- Hey there, princess. – he says, letting go of my hand to pick her up in a single effortless motion. The act melts my heart. – So, if I could just have your attention for a second. I want you guys to meet my mate Nathan - he says, drawing the spotlight even more to me.

- Hi. – I say. I've never been more nervous in my entire life.

- So, this is right here Ally. – he introduces. Her big brown eyes look at me expectantly.

- Oh, my goddess, she's so cute. – I say and Ally shies away, burying her face in Caleb's neck.

- Come on princess, don't be like that. – he says sweetly. She pouts childishly at his neck. – Sorry, she's very shy with strangers. – he adds.

- It's okay, she looks very nice. I hope one day we can play with you. – I say. This seemed to get the little girl's attention. She slowly turns to me, with those big brown eyes.

- Do you like to play hide 'n seek? – she asks with the most adorable voice I have ever heard in a kid.

- It's my favorite, my brother and I used to play it all the time when we were kids. – I say with a bright smile. She giggles a little and my heart melts.

- Great, let's play. – she says excitedly.

- Not so fast little miss. You still need to eat your food. – Jamie points out. Caleb passed Ally into her arms. She pouted a little but didn't complain much.

- Hey Jamie. – I say.

- What's up, Nate? – she responds friendly.

- You two know each other? – Caleb asks, startled by the interaction. I nod.

- We met the other day; she helped me infiltrate into the arena. – I respond honestly.

- And when were you planning to tell me? – he laughs, looking at me.

- Gotta admit big bro, you got a hardcore mate. Not any domestic would dare wander into a rogue pack like he did. – she says coolly, making me smile.

- Thanks, Jamie. – I say. – It was very cool of you to help me. –

- No problem. –

- Okay? That's a bit weird but I'm happy you two get along. – Caleb says. - This little munchkin right here is Josh. – he says, messing with his hair and kissing the boy's cheeks.

- Hi. – he says adorably. Out of everyone, he is the only one with blond hair. He has such cute big cheeks.

- Hi. You're so cute. – I say.

- I'm not cute, I'm a wolf. – he responds sweetly, but I'm sure he meant to sound all tough and serious.

- Okay big bad wolf, finish your breakfast. – the older woman said, looking at him lovingly.

- And lastly, this is my mom, Mary. –

- A pleasure to meet you Mrs. Brosme. – I say politely, earning me an honest smile.

She truly is stunning. Mary has a pale skin tone, but a natural glow makes her stand out. Her big brown eyes were like Ally's but with a slightly darker tonality. Caleb mentioned she was in her mid-early thirties, but she doesn't appear to be a day over 25 to be honest. Her voice, however, does resemble that of an older woman. Still, it astounds me how young she looks. Wow, rogues don't waste time.

- It's very nice to finally meet you, Nathan. Caleb has told me a lot about you and please, call me Mary, Mrs. Brosme makes me feel old. – she says friendly.

- Since when do you call her mom? – Jamie comments.

- Since my birthday. Why, do you have a problem with that? – Caleb mocks playfully.

- Yeah. It's weird hearing you say it. – she nags.

- You do realize I've known her longer than you, right? – my mate points out.

- Only because you're old as fuck. – she bites back playfully.

- Jamie, don't talk to your brother like that. – Mary scolded the teenager.

- What, why? We are only messing around, besides he started it. – she defends herself.

- Still, don't curse in front of your younger brother and sister. – she clarifies seriously.

- Yeah dude, not cool. – Caleb mocks.

- Shut up. – she mouths throwing him a grape. He laughs in return.

The whole interaction was so familiar and childish, it brought memories of me and my brother when we were younger. We used to argue about everything, mostly because he was a little insufferable. We nagged each other constantly, but we always loved each other. It's the same thing here, there is so much love in this room that it makes me smile.

- Sorry Nathan. These two are always like this, you'll get used to it. – Mary says, returning to her cooking.

- Yeah. –

It makes me happy the mere thought of waking up to a life with Caleb. There's so much he has taught me in these past few months, I can't begin to imagine how much more there is to him. I'll be living with rogues now, that's bound to be interesting. I'm dying to learn their customs and ways, to train alongside them, and to get to know them better. Surely, I'll get stronger very quickly. Just training with my mate a few hours a week helped me improve so much, imagine now that I'll be training with his whole pack. Well, technically it's my pack as well. I'll finally get to see a part of Caleb he's never shown; it's thrilling.

We talked some more, and the conversation was fluid. It's comforting seeing his family so warm and welcoming towards me. They have no problem whatsoever regarding our relationship, quite the opposite, they encourage it and are very excited and happy for us. It's such a relief. At some point, Ally wanted to sit on my lap and I gladly accepted. She truly is a sweet girl, and she adores Caleb. Seriously, he is her hero.

- I almost forgot. Where is your dad? – I ask casually, looking at Caleb who tensed a bit.

- Oh, Allan had to take care of some stuff, he left for work early. He'll be back later when you return from school. – Mary chimes in, speaking like it's no big deal. Caleb took the opening and smiled approvingly.

- Oh, okay. – I say, trying to sound upbeat, but there's this sensation in my stomach worrying. There's a knock on the main door.

- Maya is here. Thank you for the breakfast, Mom but we should go or Nathan will be late for school. – Caleb speaks. – Let's go babe. – he says, kissing Ally's head and waving goodbye to the rest.

- It was so nice to meet you, I'll see you later. – I say, following my mate. We head to the main door, and he opens it, revealing a blond rogue patiently waiting for us.

- It's getting late, I was beginning to think you wouldn't answer. – she nags. – Hey, Nate. – she greets.

- Hi Maya. – I say back.

- Relax, I was introducing him to my family. – my mate explains casually.

- Oh, and how'd it go? – she wondered now intrigued, shifting her attention to me.

- It was great, everyone was very nice and welcoming. – I smile beamingly.

- Even Ally? – she asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

- Yeah, she's a sweetheart. – her eyebrows rose, and she looked impressed by it. - Why? – I wonder.

- She can be jealous when it comes to Caleb. – she responds truthfully.

- Really? – she didn't peg me for the jealous type. A bit shy and spoiled maybe, but not jealous.

- One time, she bit my leg to get me to stop hugging him. Good thing I'm a healer or I would have a scar in the shape of a three-year-old bite. – she jokes.

- There's no way... – I say, smirking a little. I turn to my mate, he's low-key laughing and nodding. – ... but she's just a little girl. –

- Yep, she is a little green beast. She even slapped Nymeria on her cheek one time when she was sparing with Caleb and hit him. – she adds, making me laugh. - 'Till this day, that little girl is the only person that can proudly say landed a clean hit to the future Alpha and got away with it. –

- My Goddess. – I exclaim laughing.

- Trust me, it was awesome; I'm a big fan of that little devil. – Maya says.

There is no way in hell a sweet little girl would be able to do such things. I can't even picture five-yea-old would try to beat the crap out of Maya and Nymeria just to protect her brother. I find it astoundingly hilarious just to think of it. She must truly think the world of him to defend him so fiercely. I wonder if she'll be okay with me after seeing me kiss her lifetime hero. I certainly don't want to end up on her wrong side.

- Yeah, she can be very protective of me. – Caleb comments. – It amazed me that she was so willing to play with you after just meeting you. –

- Maybe she is just like that towards other women and since I'm a guy she doesn't feel threatened by me. – I suggest.

- Perhaps. – the healer agreed. – Who would've thought a dick would be the solution to your dating problem, eh Cal? – and the three of us laugh.

- Yeah, it's a shocker to me too. – he says. – Either way, you should probably get going if you don't want to be late. –

- Wait, are you not coming? – I ask, dismal. He looks back at me with a sorry expression plastered on his face.

- I can't, the pack needs me. Luke is going to stay as well. I already spoke to your dad about this, and he called the school to fix things. You're going to be partners for the remainder of the school year. – he continues explaining.

I can't help to feel disappointed; I really wanted him to come. It was kinda exciting, to be honest, to come back to school as an open couple. I wanted to kiss him in front of my friends without worrying about what they think. I was looking forward to spending more time with him. But he's right, the pack needs him here. It wouldn't be fair for him to leave just because I want to.

- Oh, okay. – I say dismally. – But what about Maya? Isn't she going to be needed here? – I point out.

- Nah, I highly doubt it. Everyone is already healed up and working. If anyone needs stitches, the packs' medics can take care of it just fine. – Maya speaks.

- Alaric already agreed to this. – Caleb speaks. – Besides, she has her reasons for going. – he whispers, winking in her direction.

- Shut up, Brosme. – she simply says.

- I understand; I'll miss you, though. – I say.

- I'll miss you too. – he says, leaning into me. Our lips touch into a delightful, sweet kiss and my heart melts. – I'll be here waiting for you. Text if you feel lonely, I'll carry my phone. – he assures me.

- My Goddess, could you please speed things up? We are going to be late. – Maya complains, tapping her foot on the ground.

- We are already done, chill. – Caleb speaks. – I know you want to see him but please keep an eye on him for me. – he gestures toward me. Maya nods, taking a more serious look on her face.

- I'm not a kid, you know? I can take care of myself. – I speak up.

- I know you can. It's only a precaution. – he hugs me tightly and I can't be upset with him when he acts like that. – Take care of each other. –

- Yeah, yeah, we'll be back before you notice. – the blonde dismisses walking away.

- I love you. – I say one last time, pecking Cal's lips before running towards the healer.

- Love you too. – he says. – Say hi to Jake for me. – he adds and Maya gives him the middle finger, not even bothering to turn around to face him.

- Someone is in a hurry. Wonder who's waiting for you. – I mock a little, catching up to her.

- I'm warning you, Nate. Don't start too. – she points at me threatening and I laugh.

The walk through the forest went by is a swish. A morning walk is always a good way to start the day, it helps clear the mind and activate the body. Shockingly, all this time the three of them walked this much just to get to school. Maya and I spoke about a variety of subjects on our way through the woods. I'm impressed by how smart and cunning she is. Not only is she a healer, but she also placed third in the tournament which made Caleb the future Beta in Command. How can someone like her get paired with someone like Jake? Then, again, I'm mated to Caleb of all people so I really shouldn't be judging her relationship.

Entering River Valley territory felt strangely comforting and melancholic at the same time. I missed this place so much while being on bed rest, but right now it feels a little alienated. I don't know, it's a weird feeling to describe. This place was my home for 17 years, the streets are the same, the people's houses are the same, but it feels different; like I don't belong, not anymore. Huh... Finally, we arrive at River High and the first thing I see is Mason and Kaya rushing towards us with a bright smile on their faces. They launch at me, and we hug in a warm embrace.

- Oh, my Goddess. I missed you guys so much. – I say, squeezing them harder.

- We missed you too. – Kaya speaks.

- Well, I wouldn't want to interrupt the family reunion, so I'll see you in class, Nate. – she says and I nod before the blond walks away.

- Are the rumors true? Are you moving to the Lazarus pack? – Mason asks, straight to the point.

- Yeah. – I sigh. – I no longer form part of the River Valley pack. –

- Dude, what's going to happen then? Who is going to become the Alpha? – Mason asks.

- Cole. – I respond. – Goddess, I haven't seen him yet, I wonder how he'll react. – I say.

- I'm pretty sure he already knows. – Kaya comments.

- What makes you say so? –

- Well, for one, you haven't slept in your house for three days. How'd you be if your brother went missing for days without any warning? He might be young, but he's not stupid. I'm sure he suspects something is going on. – she says.

- Fuck. –

She's right, damn it. All this time, the only thing my parents wanted was to protect him from the problems of the outer world. He's still going through his transformation and there's a lot of change going on with his body and trust me, the last thing he needs is even more pressure for becoming the future Alpha. I doubt my parents told him yet, it's not something you can casually discuss over dinner. They'll prepare him for the news until he's ready.

- We should probably get going, class starts in five. – Mason adds.

The remaining of the day went by like a swift. I explained everything that happened. How Caleb was almost married to Nymeria and the challenge, which he won and I'm so proud. The raid attack and my collapse. It's been a very interesting couple of days, to be honest. Fortunately, everything resolved for the better and my friends couldn't be happier. Maya, as expected, remained by my side the whole time, even though she didn't like domestics. She occasionally spoke whenever someone personally asked her something, but other than that she was completely mute. At some point, it felt like she was my bodyguard. Like something bad would happen to me at school. I don't understand why she's stuck here with me when she could be with her mate. The day continued as usual, myth, history, etc... all too rutinary. By the time classes ended I was feeling more than thrilled to go see my family. Mason kindly offered to accompany me since he was free. Kaya, however, had to stay back for extracurriculars, which sucked, to be honest. Walking outside the main building I saw Jake waiting by the sidelines just standing there, with his backpack on one shoulder. His eyes fixated on the blond by my side, he looks at her like a puppy.

- Ummm, you go ahead Mas. I need to speak with Maya quickly, I'll catch up in a second. – I tell Mason.

He looked startled at first, not sure of what to say. Seeing my expression, the brunette accepted and dismissed himself, saying bye to Maya before leaving. The blond stared back at me expectantly, waiting for me to say something.

- You don't have to come; I know you want to go to art class. – I say, gently looking over to where the football player was standing. Maya glanced at him, and her eyes softened a little.

- It's okay. I promised Caleb to keep an eye on you. – she dismissed, but her tone was dismal.

- Maya it's fine. Caleb worries too much; nothing is going to happen here. – I assure her. Her eyes look at us back and forth, puzzled. – I'm only going to go see my parents and Mason is accompanying me. Don't worry. –

- Sure? – she asks one last time to be certain. I nod.

- Go. – I encourage.

- Thank you. – she smiled genuinely. – I'll see you at your house in two hours, I promise. – she says, starting to walk away.

- Take all the time you need. – I assure her.

I honestly cannot fathom how she can stay away from her mate for so much time, I know I couldn't. For example, I haven't seen Caleb for what, six hours and I'm already missing him so much. I wish he'd be here. The only reason I'm not winning about it is because I'll get to see him later today. Maya walks passed Jake casually, not saying a word not to call attention. The jock followed behind, acting casual. I smile to myself, not a week ago Caleb and I were doing the same thing.

- Where is Maya? – Mason asks and we begin to walk home.

- I told her to stay, she has an art class. – I respond.

- I was beginning to think she'd never leave your side. What is she, your new bodyguard? – the brunette jokes, making me chuckle.

- No, we're friends and Caleb asked her to keep me safe. – I say.

- Safe from what? You're literally in the middle of the city. – he points.

- My thoughts exactly. – I smile. – He's just a little overprotective since the rouge attack, I'm sure it'll fade in no time. –

- Yeah, I'd be too in his shoes. – he comments and I hear his heartbeat spike.

- Speaking of, how are things going with Violet? – I ask, genuinely concern.

The last time we spoke to Carter, he agreed to help us. Mason was excited, but that's not the case now. He looks dismal and a little exhausted to be honest. I begin to worry for my best friend.

- It's difficult, she still doesn't like me. – he says with a sad tone.

- Oh, Mas, what happened? – I wonder and he sighs deeply.

- Nothing, she's just... she doesn't want to talk to me. Every time I try to say something she just nods or responds vaguely and continues with whatever she's doing. It's very hard to get to her with that bitch of Dakota around all the time. – he explains, looking down at the floor.

- Don't give up, I'm sure she's just shy. –

- No; she has no problem speaking with Nadia. They even went shopping the other day. Let's face it, I'm the problem, she just doesn't want anything to do with me. –

Fuck. Being rejected by your mate must be hard. That's one of the reasons why human mates are such a big risk. They can break your heart without understanding what they are doing. Mason is such a great guy, if Violet only gave him a chance, I'm sure she wouldn't regret it. I need to find a way to help him. The hunters can decide any day to move away, taking Violet with them. It probably won't happen until the school year is finished, but the possibility is still there.

- Don't give up, Mas. We'll figure something out. – I say reassuringly.

His eyes begin to water, making me want to cry. It doesn't matter that we belong to different packs, I still feel the same connection with him. He is my best friend, and I will care for him always. Violet will be in love with him before school is done, I swear to the Moon Goddess.

----------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

697K 31K 31
Micah wanted nothing but to finish the last year of highschool so that he could take his father's place as Alpha. What happens when he finds out that...
73K 4.3K 57
Matt Beven Smith is a werewolf, he has two brothers and he is the youngest among three children. He is the second in line to be Alpha because the f...
360K 16K 32
Wren Arroyo's wolf was broken. Born without a complete sense of smell, Wren knew he would never have that magical moment when true mates smell each o...
178K 7K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...