The Arcane

By IbelieveIicanfly

A girl and her rival must work together to solve a murder mystery and protect their school. More

CHARACTERS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22

15

35 1 0
By IbelieveIicanfly

Nyx's pov- Monday morning

Weeks have passed since we decided to stop our investigations and pretend like we didn't know anything. Sure, it was exhausting and very difficult, but we made do.

Adonis and I barely spoke to each other save for a few greetings and friendly banter here and there.

I awoke at my usual time this morning and got ready for classes.

It was a normal day, just like any other, but something wasn't feeling right.

My stomach was in knots as I got dressed.

I shook off the feeling, passing it as a simple stomachache and headed to class.

As I entered the class, Adonis and I exchanged a simple greeting, much to Veronica's dismay, and I headed to my seat.

"Hey baby bird." I greeted Jamie as I put my bag on the chair back.

"Hey big bird." he smiled. "How was your sleep?" he patted my hair that was in two cornrows.

I slapped his hand away lightly, not wanting him to mess up my hair.

"It was fine, but I woke up uneasy this morning." I ranted as I began to pull out my books needed for class, telling him about my nausea and tummy ache.

He propped a hand under his chin as he listened intently. "Maybe your period is coming?" he suggested as a plausible cause.

I bit my lip in thought. "Could be."

"Gooood morning class." Mr. Orman entered the class in his usual bubbly manner, speaking with undeniable enthusiasm.

"Today we're going to be learning about..."

>>>

I sluggishly walked out the classroom alongside Jamie.

"Ugh, class was so tiring today." I groaned and fixed my bag strap that slipped down my shoulder slightly.

Jamie, being his usual quiet self simply hummed as he continued walking, keeping his eyes forward.

"Hey," I held his shoulder to stop him from walking. "I have to run to the bathroom really quick. Go ahead and meet up the others."

"Okay big bird. Take as long a shit you need."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes playfully. "I'm not going to shit, you ass."

He chuckled and put his hands in his pockets. "Want me to carry your bag for you?"

"No, its fine. Go on ahead."

He nodded and left to the lobby while I also headed to the bathroom.

I entered the bathroom and headed to the stall I usually use.

I sat on the toilet and saw that I have infact, gotten my period.

Groaning I pulled out a pad from my bag and attached it.

Making sure it was snug and fit, I adjusted my uniform and left the stall.

As soon as I stepped out, my foot landed into a pile of water.

I groaned and looked to the floor.

Where did that spill come from.

As I looked to my foot, I saw that it wasn't water I stepped into but rather a thick red liquid.

Blood.

My eyes trailed the spill which led to another student laying on the floor, her bloody mouth sewn together along with her eyes.

My heart raced in my chest, my vision turning blurry as my eyes darted around the bathroom before landing on the, mirrors above the sink.

In a red liquid which one could only assume as blood were bold, running letters.

' I KNOW WHAT YOURE DOING :)'

My breath came faster, my chest felt tight and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

The room spun around me, making me dizzy.

I felt like crying, like screaming but the emotions were too much.

I stood in a daze before quickly regaining my senses.

With shaky hands, I quickly snapped a picture and ran out the bathroom, clutching my backpack tight.

I ran to the library, hoping to find Adonis.

As I ran through the aisles I bumped into a body.

"Wow Nyx, you okay?" Daniel looked at me worried as he held my shoulders to keep me from falling.

I panted lightly, slightly tired from running.

"I'm fine." I answered absent-mindly, my mind focused on finding Adonis.

"You don't look fine," his brows furrowed as he stopped me from walking, 
"Do you need to go to the nurse's office?" He held a hand to my forehead.

"No, I'm really fine. Thank you though, but I need to go." I held his hand away from my forehead.

"Okay. If you ever need anything just come find me, okay?" He smiled softly.

I smiled back tightly, appreciative for his concern. "I will."

I spotted a black head of hair and patted Daniel's arm before walking over to Adonis.

I snatched the book out his hand to which he simply rose an eyebrow and sat down.

Taking a quick glance to make sure we're alone I began speaking.

"There's another one."

"Another what Sinclair? You've got to be more specific."

"Another body."

His face turned serious and he leaned forward, intrigued. "Where?"

"The girl's bathroom."

"Did anybody see you?"

"..."

"Sinclair, did anybody see you?!" he whisper shouted.

"I don't know." I breathed out. "I don't know...I...I just rushed out. I wasn't thinking..I..I dont think so."

"It's fine. " He ran a hand through his hair. "It's fine." he got up and began pacing around the area.

With the way he spoke it sounded like he was trying to reassure himself more than me.

"There were words.." I spoke softly after a moment of silence.

"What?"

"On the mirror there were words..they, they wrote words."

"Well, what were the words?" he crossed his arms as he eagerly waited for a response.

I took out my phone and showed him the picture of the girl and the mirror.

His breathe hitched slightly as he took in the picture. "That's freaking horrendous."

"This, it's clearly a warning. They know Adonis, they know that we're trying to find them, they know who we are, they're gonna come for us, we...they're gonna get us Adonis we-"

"Hey," he held my shoulders. "They're not going to get you."

"Do you even know that for sure?" a tear slipped down my face.

He let out a breath and sat back down.

"Do you even know that they're not already planning their next move, on how they'll murder us?"

He said nothing as he stared at the floor.

"The school did nothing to solve the first murder. They're no doubt going to cover up all the others. There's nothing we can do Adonis."

An announcement came on the Intercom system, breaking the silence.

"Nyx Sinclair, please report to the principal's office now."

I gasped a breath. "Adonis they know," I cried. "Adonis they-"

"Nyx its fine. They're not going to do anything." he passed me a handkerchief.

I gripped his hand. "Come with me. Adonis I need you to come with me. Please."

He thought about it for a moment before speaking. "Okay. Okay, I'll go with you."

With shaky legs, we left the library and to the office.

I gulped as we walked down the hallway, my heart pounding against my chest, like if it would leap out at any second.

I looked at Adonis as we stood infront of the tall menacing doors.

I nodded once and pushed the huge doors open...

...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7M 563K 60
❝The higher you go, the harder you fall.❞ Elena Evans has always been the observer. No one notices her, but she sees everything. The Elite. Beau...
123 0 26
Five ordinary high schoolers living their youth, until an unforeseen death rattles their minds upon the entrance of a transfer student, only connecti...
171 5 9
The Murderer...The Liar...The Cheater...The Queen. Four high school students with a major secret to hide...and now someone with threatening white not...
15 1 9
In a prep school for the rich and famous, scandals await for them. What happens when school's most irresistible heartthrobs want to make them theirs...