Devoted To You || Gilbert Bly...

By RenAintNoSaint

"๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฌ๐ก ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐๐ž๐ฏ๐จ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž." _______________... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XV
XVI
XVII
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐“Œ๐‘œ
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐“‡๐‘’๐‘’
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII

XIV

835 20 7
By RenAintNoSaint

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Confrontation. A noun. The act of confronting.
_________________________

The chill of the winter air nipped at my cheeks as I walked back from Gilbert's house. As I approached our farmhouse, a knot of tension tightened in my stomach, sensing that something awaited me within those familiar walls.

Upon entering, I found Alexander in the kitchen, his expression stern. He glanced up from the paper he was reading, his eyes probing mine.

"Nice to finally see you again."

"I apologize for my absence but Gilbert shouldn't be alone at this time." I reply as I take off my scarf and hat.

"Have you spoken to Gilbert?" he asked, the weight of responsibility evident in his voice.

I furrowed my brows, puzzled. "About what?"

"About us selling the farm and moving to Paris," he clarified, his tone sharp.

I sighed, the gravity of his words sinking in. "No, I haven't. I didn't think now was the right time with John's passing."

His eyes hardened. "Ada, there's never a right time for such news, but it needs to be done. You can't keep avoiding it."

"I'm not avoiding it!" I snap. "I'm trying to find a way out of it!" I whisper.

Before he could respond, the door creaked open, and Father entered. His weary eyes met mine, searching for answers.

"Afternoon, sweetheart." He nods at me. "How is Gilbert handling everything?" He goes to fix him some tea.

"He is grieving but he is doing better than most." I pick at the wood on the chair in front of me.

"And uh, how is he handing the move?" He asks making me go silent. He turns to me when I don't respond. "Ada, you have told Gilbert about the move correct?" he asked, echoing Alexander's concern.

I hesitated, struggling to find the right words. "No, not yet. I wanted to give him some time after losing his father. It didn't seem appropriate."

"I understand sweetheart but-"

Alexander slammed his hand on the table, his frustration evident. "Ada, we can't delay this any longer. It's our future, and we need to make decisions. You can't be thinking solely about Gilbert."

I felt the weight of their expectations pressing down on me. "I wish it were that simple, but it's not that simple. I have friends, family, and an education here."

"And you will have those in Paris." Father insists.

"It's not the same and you know it." I retort. "Grandpa doesn't even like me."

"Ada-"

"We owe it to Gilbert to handle this with care. Losing his father and then learning about us leaving, it's too much at once."

Father sighed, a mix of weariness and concern etched on his face. "Ada, I know it's difficult, but we can't put our lives on hold. These are tough times, and we have to do what's best for our family."

"Where did the money go, Dad?" I ask seriously since it's been eating at me for days. "Where is it?"

"I will not talk to a child about finances." Father raises his voice.

"I am fifteen years old and I'm more mature than both of you combined."

"You have until tomorrow evening to tell him." Father snaps. "We leave the first week of December."

"So soon?!" I snap.

"I am done talking about this." He says before storming off to his bedroom.

I fight back tears as I fall into my chair. "Why aren't you fighting for this place?" I ask, Alexander. "This is our home. Mother's home."

"I don't feel her here like you do, Ada." He snaps. "I have nothing here. You've been too selfish to see that I am miserable here."

"Alex, I am sorry that I've neglected your feelings but you are doing the same to me now!" I look to him. "I am sorry I've treated you poorly but I need you now more than ever." I plead. "I am more than capable of taking care of myself. I can cook, clean, work. I will sell the cattle, quit school if I must. I have Aunt Josephine and Eliza. I would be just fine here. If I go to Paris, my attitude and emotions will make the whole community crumble."

"Father is stubborn. How am I to change his mind?"

"Just try. That's all I ask." I beg him. He sighs before leaving for his bedroom.

The gravity of this evening settled in my chest, leaving me torn between my loyalty to Avonlea and the responsibilities at home. As the discussion unfolded, the specter of change loomed over us, casting a shadow on the once-familiar home that now felt like a battleground of conflicting emotions.

***

The next morning was hard. I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed until noon. The pit of dread never left my stomach last night. But I have to tell Gilbert today. With a heavy heart, I dragged myself out of bed, feeling the weight of the impending conversation with Gilbert. As I made my way to the kitchen, the somber atmosphere was palpable. I come to a halt when I see there, at the table, Alexander, Father, and Gilbert, surrounded by scattered papers and a faint air of tension.

"Ada," Father greeted me, his eyes reflecting a mixture of concern and determination. "Good morning, sweetheart."

"Morning." I reply shakily. I took a deep breath and joined them at the table. Gilbert glanced up, his eyes searching mine for any hints. The atmosphere was thick with an unspoken weight that seemed to press down on us.

"The price of the calf will remain the same. But if you're interested in Mama we can give you a great deal." Alex points to a sheet of paper.

"You're selling Mama too?" Gilbert asks. "But Ada, you love that cow." He says looking to me.

"Gilbert," I began, my voice shaky, "there's something we need to discuss."

He furrowed his brows, growing more perplexed by the minute. "Discuss? What's going on?"

Alexander spoke up, "We're facing financial difficulties, Gilbert. And, well, we're selling some of our assets to secure our future but we wanted to offer them to you first since you and John have helped us so greatly."

Gilbert's eyes darted between us, confusion etching lines on his forehead. "Assets? Why am I involved in this?"

Father sighed, attempting to choose his words carefully. "Gilbert, we've been neighbors for a long time. Our families have a history. We thought... we thought you might be interested in buying some land from us too."

Gilbert's expression morphed from confusion to suspicion. "Buying land? Why now? And why all of a sudden? Something isn't adding up here."

Alexander interjected, "We thought it would be a good opportunity for you, Gilbert. Land in Avonlea is valuable, and we need the funds. It's a win-win."

But Gilbert wasn't buying it. The frustration built up in him, and he slammed his hand on the table, demanding answers. "Stop with the vague explanations! What's really going on?"

My heart sank as I knew the time had come to reveal the harsh truth. "Gilbert, it's not just about selling land. Father is selling our home, and moving us to Paris."

A tense silence settled over the room as Gilbert's eyes widened with shock and disbelief. His voice came out sharp and incredulous, "Paris? Why? When? How could you keep something like this from me?"

Tears welled up in my eyes as I struggled to find the right words. "Gilbert, it's complicated. We're facing financial hardships, and he thought this was the best course of action."

His anger surged, and he pushed his chair back abruptly, standing up. "So, while I'm mourning my father, you're planning to leave without a word? How could you, Ada?"

"Gilbert! I would never-" With that, he stormed out, leaving the weight of his hurt and confusion hanging in the air.

It is silent in our kitchen until Father quietly says. "Well that didn't go as planned."

"How dare you let him find out this way?!" I stand from my seat. "What were you thinking? Trying to sell it all to him. After everything he has been through you know he'd be a fool to blow that much money."

"Ada..."

"No!" I snap. "I am so disgusted with the both of you! You should be ashamed of yourself." I grab my coat, scarf, and gloves before storming out the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.8K 583 17
I Y E A R N F O R Y O U [S E A S O N O N E] [I DO NOT OWN ANY OTHER CHARACTERS OR PLOT LINES OTHER THAN THE ONES I CREATE] [BOOK 1 OF 3]
222K 7.5K 55
MAGNIFIQUE | IN WHICH MILDRED TURNER ARRIVES IN AVONLEA TO VISIT A NEW FRIEND AND THERE'S A LIFE WAITING FOR HER. MAYBE, EVEN LOVE. 'MILLIE AND BEN'...
23K 802 47
Gilbert and Anne had known each other for years, but the redhead had never been able to forgive him for calling her Carrots. However, after an incide...
51.1K 1.6K 42
Anne with an E Season 4 Fanfiction As Gilbert Blyth and Anne part ways a new journey begins. The two kindred spirits must navigate new surroundings...