The Sheriff's Son | Harvey #2

By slybatspidow

Ashton wishes he wasn't related to the sheriff. He's told Nicole enough about what's going on behind the scen... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter 5

1 0 0
By slybatspidow

Mason's voice woke Ashton from a dream. He'd been with Nicole on a picnic. It was a nice dream, really. He was a little upset he'd been woken up. "What," he said irritably.

"Visitor," was all Mason said before Ashton heard him walk away.

If he was leaving, then that meant . . .

"Hey, sleepyhead," Nicole said. Ashton's eyes popped open, and he sat up quickly. He'd laid down on the floor of the cell. He tried hard not to think of what all had been there before him. Now that was all he could think of as he got to his feet. "Sorry to wake you."

He smiled at her. "Don't worry about it." His hands felt grimy. He didn't reach for her like he wanted to. "Why are you so happy?"

She grinned. "I had lunch with Trisha." He wondered what they could possibly have to say to each other, but he nodded, sensing that he should listen rather than speak. "I found out she's been dating the cop for a couple of months, but she still cares for you. She said they'd had a relationship before, but it was, like, only for a week. She said they got together some time after he came back for spring break."

He nodded. "I knew something was different, but I never could figure it out. She wouldn't tell me."

She shrugged. "Well, now we know. She also told me not to tell her parents. Then she described them to me, so now I can maybe talk to them." Her eyes widened slightly. "I had no idea so many people in this town were on your side."

He frowned. "They may be on my side, but that alone can't get me anywhere. Remember Lizzie? She just killed her family one night, and no one ever thought she was capable of that, either."

"Lizzie?"

"Lizzie Borden."

"Oh." She shrugged. "There's something else. At first, I thought you'd be really happy, but then I got to thinking about it, and it kind of puts us back on square one."

"What is it?"

"I asked Trisha where she and Norman hang out since she doesn't want her parents to know. She says they would hang out in the stockroom and in the cells here-" he wrinkled his nose "-but their favorite place? The beach. Not just any beach, either."

His eyebrows rose. "The beach?" She nodded. He shook his head. "That would account for that nail, but how the heck would it have come off?" Nicole raised one eyebrow and he made a face. "I changed my mind – I don't want to know." He shivered. "Anyway, that's awesome news, but you're right: we're back where we started here." He held his hands up and let them fall back to his sides. "What are we going to do?"

"Has Norman been suspicious again?"

Ashton raised an eyebrow. "Nikki, I don't like him. Everything he does is suspicious to me. Honestly, I would lock him up for his personality, but I can't legally do that. How are things looking for the Clive front?"

She sighed and wrapped her arms around herself. "Well, my next target is Mayor Gamble. It's a little intimidating. Well, more than a little."

He sighed, but he wasn't upset. He was trying to figure out how to get her to calm down over it. "You know, one thing about people like that is this: they're just like us, except they think they're better. We're all the same, but money makes them arrogant."

"Then we're not all the same."

He shrugged. Fair enough. "My point is, don't fear him. You have nothing to fear. He has to be nice, too."

"But what should I tell him? Like I told Mason, I can't just go in there and tell him I knows he's been paid off by your dad. I'd be thrown out so fast you won't see the maid move."

Ashton chuckled. "Maybe so. That's why you mention paying him to get me out." Her eyebrows shot up. "If you tell him you want to see if he can override Clive and get me out, he might just spill. I know he's arrogant and willing to double-cross anyone." His eyes lit up. He had an idea. "Actually, I have a lot of money in my cabin."

"Where?"

He smiled at her, suddenly excited. "Forget about asking him to let me go. Offer to pay him more than my dad."

"But your dad paid him, like, $500 a week!"

Ashton shrugged. "Then pay him six. Listen, in my bedroom, there's one floorboard that squeaks bad near my headboard. Pry it up. There's a crowbar under my bed. Like, taped to the underside. There's a sharp pocket knife under my mattress I use to cut the tape. When you pry it up, there's a box there. It's got about $8,000 in small bills. Take it all home, hide it. Bring about a thousand with you when you go, but negotiate. He may only need a hundred more to be paid off." Nicole gaped at him. His brows lowered. Why was she looking at him that way? "What's wrong?"

She shook her head. "$8,000?!"

He nodded, not sure why she was so shocked. "I thought you knew my family was rich?" She shook her head. Well, that explained it. And somehow warmed his heart. "Well, they are. I had a trust fund. I still do. There's another $20,000 in there. I took half of it when I moved out, but it's okay. I mean, when I take over for my dad-" He cut himself off. "If I take over for my dad-" better "-I'll be making a lot. I won't miss the money I took out."

She nodded. "Um, okay." She shook her head then cleared her throat. "Um, okay, I'll go to see him." She looked at him. "How long will the investigation take?"

He shrugged. "I don't really know. It could last a week, it could last a couple of months." He smiled at her. "But don't worry – when they see everything against my dad and nothing on me, they'll let me go and he'll go away."

She nodded and backed away. "I need to go get that done. Mason says he's going to call as soon as I leave you, and I still need to talk to a few people."

"Um, okay, Nikki. I guess I'll see you tomorrow." Hopefully not in the same place. And hopefully not before he had a shower, but he knew he'd see her long before then.

She nodded. "Okay. Love you, Ash."

"Love you, too."

---

Money was stuffed in the box, all of what Ashton had told her. She'd counted it. Now she was just sitting there in shock. She couldn't believe he had so much. Well, she could believe it, but not that he'd never told her. Maybe he just wanted to make sure she wanted him and not his money? She kept telling herself that was why. It made her feel better, whether it was true or not.

She knew she needed to keep moving, so she got up and closed the box. The walk home seemed to be much longer with so much money tucked under her arm. She felt like everyone knew what she had. It wasn't possible, which was what she kept telling herself, but it didn't make the feeling go away.

Once she was back in the cottage, she went straight to her room. Once she took out a thousand, she hid the box under her bed. Next stop was Mayor Gamble. She took a deep breath. That was a gamble, all right. His name fit, ironically. She needed to play her cards right.

She locked the front door when she left and took a leisurely stroll over to the only home with a fence that went completely around the house. The front gate was mechanical and had an intercom. She hit the 'call' button and a tinny voice asked, "What do you want?"

Her eyebrows rose. Strange way to greet guests. "I need to speak to Mayor Gamble, please."

Silence. "He's at City Hall," came the voice again, laughter in it.

Shoot. She should have known. "Of course. Sorry to bother you." She turned and walked the block to the white building. It was next to the police station, which meant she could be seen by Clive. The chance of that, though, was small. She didn't have to walk past the doors. The thought made her relax a little.

Once she was safely inside, she walked over to the front desk. "Hello." The woman looked up. "Is Mayor Gamble here today?"

"He is. Do you have an appointment?"

"No, I'm afraid this is short notice."

"Oh. Well, if you can wait about thirty minutes, he'll be free to speak with you."

"Thank you." She walked over and took a seat on a very uncomfortable chair that was in a hallway. It was more than thirty minutes later when the woman beckoned Nicole. "I'll take you to the mayor." She stood and began walking briskly.

Nicole followed and they ended up in a room with a large desk with two leather chairs facing it and a man sitting behind it, on the phone. He sat it down when they entered. The woman left and Nicole took a seat. He turned to her. She was surprised to find he wasn't very old, maybe forty if that. "How can I help you today, miss?" His voice was a nice baritone.

She smiled at him. "I had a business proposition for you."

"Do you? What kind of proposition are we talking about?" He leaned back.

"Yes, sir. One that gets you some money."

His eyebrows rose. "Really."

She nodded. "I know your loyalty lies with Sheriff Dodd. I was wondering if you'd be interested in lending your support to Ashton Dodd."

He sucked in a breath through his teeth. "Well, now. I've been friends with old Clive for a very long time. Money can't buy my loyalty."

She pulled out the wad of money, held it where he couldn't see, peeled off five hundred, and held it up. "Not even, say, five hundred every week? Blank envelope, right on your desk."

He sucked his teeth. "How about an even thousand?"

"Six."

"Nine."

"Six-fifty, but then I might need to do it through money order. I don't like carrying that much cash. At six I can do cash in a nice blank envelope, no trace. Plus, I can give you the first six right now for your immediate support."

He studied her for a long moment. "What if I say no to six? What then?"

She frowned. "I know things about you. Other people pay you. I know who. A few words to the right people – or wrong, depending on your perspective – and, well, you know what would happen." With a smirk, she sat the six hundred on the table and slid it across to his shocked face. "Think about it."

He studied her in silence for several moments. Finally, he picked up the cash and slipped it in his coat pocket. "I trust this little meeting is completely between us."

"Of course."

"And I trust you won't tell anyone else about your little discovery."

"It's not misplaced, sir." She rose. "You will give your complete support to Ashton? Withdraw all of it from Clive?" He nodded once. "Say it."

He sighed. "I promise to completely support Ashton Dodd. His dad will have to fend for himself."

"Thank you. Have a good day." Heart still hammering, she calmly left the room. She went outside to the sidewalk and took a deep breath. She hoped she'd done enough. Next up she needed to check with Mason. Easy enough.

She walked next door and went inside. Norman and Gary were there. Norman looked up and smiled at her. "Hey. Can I help you?" Mason was nowhere.

"Um, is Officer Spurlock here?"

"No, he stepped out." Norman stood and walked over to the door to the cells. "I assume you're here to see Ashton?"

"No, no. I was here to see Mason actually, but that's okay. Thank you, anyway."

Norman nodded and she turned to leave. As she reached the sidewalk a hand on her shoulder stopped her. She turned and Norman was there. "I've been wanting to talk to you."

"Oh?" She turned to face him, and his hand dropped. "What about?" She crossed her arms.

He rocked on his feet for a moment. "Well, for one thing, I want you to understand I've thought about the charges against Ashton, and I've reached a conclusion."

"Which is?"

"Um, I'm doubting they're founded in truth." He looked into Nicole's eyes, searching. "Nicole, I want to help you guys. Please, tell me how I can."

He seemed earnest, but it was so out-of-the-blue that she felt she needed to question it. "Why?"

It seemed to hurt him. "Because I'm a cop! I should be making sure things are just. That's the oath I took when I was sworn in. It's something I have to uphold."

She supposed he had a point. "Fine. The first thing you can do is tell Ashton that I was successful in my afternoon's mission. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get home." She glanced over and saw that Mason's car was indeed gone. "Where did Mason go?"

Norman followed her gaze. "He went to find you."

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, thanks. I'll go walk around until he finds me."

"Or I could just radio him and tell him you're here."

She looked at Norman. He looked eager to help. He was holding up his radio. She sighed. "Why not? Go ahead."

He grinned.

---

Norman didn't surprise Ashton when he came and watched him through the bars. "What is it this time?" Ashton asked.

"Nicole came by, looking for Mason. They're out there talking, and she sent me back here to tell you that she was successful this afternoon. What was she talking about?" Norman asked. He looked honest.

Ashton shook his head. "Don't worry about it. Thanks for telling me." She'd been able to bribe the mayor. That wasn't something everyone could say. He frowned as he thought that it wasn't something anyone should be able to say.

"Okay. Well, I guess I'll see you later, then." Norman gave him one last look before reluctantly going back down the hallway.

Ashton bit his tongue so he wouldn't call him back and tell him everything. Once he heard the door clank shut, he plopped down on the floor and began doing sit-ups. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.1K 1.8K 51
Anyone that stumbles on the quaint coastal town of Shelter Bay might call it sleepy. They may even mistake it for a place where nothing much happens...
The Doll Garden By April W.

Mystery / Thriller

35.7K 4.2K 29
This is a FREE STORY with PAID BONUS content! *** The Harrington family was what everyone in the picturesque town of Runswick, Rhode Island aspired t...
Who Am I By Yeung_forever

Mystery / Thriller

482 123 41
Editing. I can't help but wonder what's wrong with you. She's gone. I'm gone. And the other's dead. Why do you search for us? We're never coming bac...
37.1K 2.9K 49
She was a harlot, whore, escort, lady of the night, adulterer, slut and many other things society shamed her with. Comes with the job...she guess. Th...