Thaw out a Second Life

By Ein-Usagi

A month after the incident with Victorious META, Tirpitz lives her second chance in life free of another ego... More

Prologue: Start of an Obstacle
Start of Atonement
Struggle to Lie
Lingering Inner Conflict
A Sister's Concern
Doubting a Life
Day of Festivity
The Other Bismarck
Heart of the Beast
Distorted Blizzard
Weighing a Choice
Trust and Distrust
Black King, Red Fox
Raging Blizzard
Calm after the Storm
What Comes after the Blizzard
Choices in Life
Hunter and Prey
Uneasiness
Ice and Flame Once Again
An Older Sister's Promise
Pinpointing a Bait
Beginning to Unravel
To Set in Motion
Nothing to Hide
To Face the Truth
Weight of the Deception
Even Deceit Must End
Once and For All

Life Goes On

67 5 9
By Ein-Usagi

Author: There's just going to be a separate one-shot taking place a week after the chapter's events.

______________________________________________________________

I never saw myself as a good person.

My body is dead but it continues to move. There's no pulse or any heartbeat. It's pointless to think how my body has grown cold too because it's always been this way even when I was still alive. The way I am right now is an undead META battleship. Those two managed to salvage my consciousness and force it back into this walking corpse. It's not the same since I only have my memories while the heart itself is missing.

"........"

After escaping to another timeline - no, it's more like some unhinged META shoved me in here after escaping the other METAs who wanted to put me the rest. Now, I'm stuck in an unfamiliar world and wondering what I should do next. I sit in an uninhabited island, lost and purposeless.

"........"

I want to die so why did I fight to defend myself and flee before I could lose? My survival instincts keep intruding with my only wish......so I can't die no matter how much I want to. That must be it because I tend to black out before they can deal the final blow.

"L-lady Tirpitz, are you still thinking about revenge?"

U-556 META keeps her distance from me while still showing genuine concern for my well-being. It's a wise decision because there's no certainty when or where the "medicine" will wear off and I'll be driven mostly by instincts again.

"Why wouldn't I be? I wanted to stay dead, but all of you couldn't respect that. You forced my consciousness back into this dead body and made me an undead META as a result"

Being alive again wouldn't be so bad, but not this way. This is perversion - an arrogance from my sister toying with life. Iron Blood tried to play God and thought they could decide who gets to live again, but they don't bring miracles.

"I couldn't understand emotions in the past, but now? I'm brought back with only revenge in mind. It's driving me mad, so I lose myself whenever I see either Victorious or Bismarck"

Although I'm hostile to Iron Blood due to their involvement, my hatred is primarily towards the two who orchestrated my reanimation. They contained me when their plan failed, but someone let me out. As a result, I attacked everyone hoping someone could destroy me for good.

"I want.....to kill Victorious and be done with the world....."
"You don't sound too sure" U-556 MET quickly notices
"I'm angry at what she did, but it's hard to decide on killing someone I once called my friend"

Emotions are troublesome. Why did I long to comprehend them in the first place? It's making me doubt and hesitate with everything that I do, especially now.

"She wanted to revive me because she didn't want to lose me, but I couldn't forgive that no matter the reason"
"Lady Tirpitz....." U-556 META musters enough courage to approach me
"I wonder if the Bismarck and Victorious in this world are the same? If their Tirpitz is a suicidal idiot like me?"

A part of me wishes those two are different in this world, but I can't assure myself that my counterpart here has common sense and self-preservation. My wish is to see even a single version of me living peacefully. Beyond this desire for revenge, I wish to see a version of me who isn't a META and living as she wishes.

"Why did you follow me here first? Go back to tailing my sister, U-556"
"I'm not here on Lord Bismarck's orders. I'm here because Lord Bismarck is looking for you. Even if she doesn't say anything, she's worried about you and definitely feels guilty!"
"How would you know that? None of us know what's going on in her mind. If she had any common sense, she would know bringing someone back from the dead will have consequences!"

I unintentionally let my anger flow in me again and unleash ice and snow around me. It transforms the area around me into a frozen wasteland that small living brings caught in the range and transformed into frozen statues.

......
......

When I thought I could have a moment of peace, in solitude, I face the person I want to loathe the most - the friend who selfishly trapped me in this state. Blizzard of my own creation enclosed us in a battlefield where I'll make sure she will never escape this time.

"Tirpitz....."

Victorious, someone I once called my friend and trusted my life with, turned out to be one of the people who toyed with it.

"You're in a terrible state. Worse than we last met" Victorious stares at me pitifully
"........"

It's her fault for making my corpse move again. Since their reanimation is imperfect, my body is slowly breaking down.

"I can still save you. You just need your consciousness to occupy a fresh vessel" Victorious callously suggests
"You want to kill someone so I can live? How far have you gone, Victorious?"
"It's not like the life of a stranger would matter......"
"I once saw you as a true friend. How can you disregard others for your own sake?" I got my teeth
"Aren't you the same?" Victorious tilts her head
"What?!"
"You didn't care about the people around you and got yourself killed. You promised you won't give up for my sake, but you chose to die"
"........"

The burden is too much. I couldn't imagine having to carry it any longer and it outweighs my wish to be with my friend and comrades.

"Our timeline's war.....isn't worth it anymore. We're all insignificant cogs in the grand scheme of things. Like everyone before me, I realized I'm at the end of my destiny"
"So you gave up just like that......" Victorious shakes her head in dismay
"It doesn't matter. None of it matters....."
"Tirpitz, you really are.....an icy blockhead"

The following moment is obvious. She and I clashed against each other with little to no hesitation.

No hesitation......

I'm fooling myself in believing that. There are several opportunities she gives me an opening, but my hands shake at the thought of dealing a fatal blow. I could have pierced her heart, her skull, bissect, or decapitate her, but I keep getting rid of that thought.

Tirpitz.....

Her once cheerful and affectionate voice rings inside my head. No matter how stubborn or distant I am, her expression towards me never changes. Victorious always thinks of me even when I disregard myself. It's one of the reasons why I've grown attached to her even when METAmorphosis slowly degraded my personality.

"..........."

I stop before my sword can cut through her flesh and in return, she drives one of the broken frozen blades I've thrown at her earlier.....to my heart. In the end, I still hesitated and could never take her life.

"Why are you crying.....?"

My consciousness is fading because of the mortal wound, but even in this blizzard, the warm tears flowing out of her eyes is clear.

"Even in this state......I......."

My words slowly fade away, but her eyes widen and her lips tremble when it barely reaches her. Sooner or later, my imperfect METAmorphosis will erode what's left of my original personality and possible twist into a revenge-driven monster.

"........."

The blizzard I create consumes even the faintest warmth, but I never imagined having my own ice pierce my chest spreads a form of tingling and numbing warmth. I can't move my arms anymore, but I still have enough strength to etch her expression moments before my consciousness drifts into darkness.

.........
.........
.........

Other than the sensation of her separating my wisdom cube from my body, everything is too vague like a distant dream.

"........"
"........"
"........"
"........"

I hear voices, murmurs, and whispers echo while my mind continues to aimlessly drift. As a part of my consciousness returns, I sense the physical attachment.....or at least the sensation that I can move my limbs. My entire body is in pain and heavy, but it's familiar.

"........."

When I tried to pull the rest of my mind, the heaviness worsens and fluctuates with my lightheadedness. I feel weak and exhausted, but I focus on moving my limbs.

".........."

At last, the light returns to my eyes and the rest of my senses start functioning again, but the sight is.....unfamiliar.

"You're......"

It's not the real world, but an unknown force pulled me back to the depths of my mind. In a never-ending plain of snow and piles of shattered ice floating at the coast by extension, I spot a "reflection".

"......." The reflection doesn't respond

The reflection bears a strong resemblance to my former self, before my METAmorphosis, but her eyes are dull and nearly gray.

"......!"

In that moment, I come to realize we are both existing consciousness within the same space. This reflection isn't an illusion but a consciousness separate from mine.

"Victorious, you.....!"

I grit my teeth as anger begins to swell in my thoughts. At the same time, I realized the odd sensation in my body......isn't my own.

"You.....filthy bastard!"

Right before I know it, my body feels lighter but weaker. To a degree, it's my own body, but it's not the original one. I'm unusually angry right now, but by the time I regain my full consciousness, there's a large gaping hole in an unknown room and my wretched sister is thrown outside.

"Bismarck!"

My memories are still hazy, but I couldn't deny it's Bismarck who's trying to stand up straight while breaking free of the ice on her arms and legs. I unintentionally suppressed the consciousness of my counterpart, but it's none of my concern right now. Bismarck is standing right before me and I have the opportunity for retribution.

Revenge is all that matters even if I have to sacrifice my counterpart......

I repeatedly tell myself that, but I'm not stubborn and arrogant enough to ignore reality in front of me.

Can you uphold to that promise?

That's right. I remember wavering for the first time. It's when the normal Victorious first interacts with me, and she showed me how different she is from her META counterpart. She cares about her Tirpitz.....and for some reason me included. She doesn't resent me for possessing her friend. If anything, she's upset both her friend, and I are suffering because of her META counterpart.

No matter what......

No matter the version, Victorious doesn't see me differently. Maybe even if I were to lose my human shape, she will still recognize me as a foggy abomination.

.......

I'm mostly aware of the surroundings even if I'm lying dormant while sharing a body. I always observed how Victorious speaks around her friend and how this foolish counterpart of mine barely sees the difference even when she's stripped of human emotions.

You can't die yet.....

Then there's Bismarck who I initially believed to be no different from the one I know. Even her own younger sister distrusts her and would rather be an outcast than return to Iron Blood. Bismarck is viewed as an imposing figure yet effective leader, but she's horrible as an older sister.

"If you're no different than her, then I'd rather kill you too"

I grow to despise her after sending her sister to prison because of the mistake in the procedure. No, what triggered is my attempted murder, but I have yet to regret my actions. If anything, I'm a little annoyed my counterpart wrestled control and forced me back in a restrained state. She has a grudge for losing her normal life, but she could never think of killing Bismarck. Even she only focuses on what she believes is right, my counterpart still has a little bit of love for her sister.

I promise......

I suppose I owe Victorious for intervening between the two equally stubborn sisters. Victorious couldn't stand idly while these two continue to be distant towards each other. Unlike the sister I know, this Bismarck is willing to admit her mistake and seek forgiveness because her selfishness nearly lead to tragedy.

"Bismarck, you......"

While continuing observing those two sisters, I click my tongue in slight annoyance because I'm the one who's wrong about Bismarck. I thought she would never change or attempt to correct her mistake, but the Bismarck here sincerely wishes to reconcile with her sister and rebuild their sisterly relationship. Bismarck realized she couldn't bear to lose her younger sister the third time and doesn't wish to leave regret in case "I" die.

Unfortunately, that hope never came to be......

_______________________________________________________________________

Blizzard envelopes a large area surrounding an island. The sky and the rest of the vast sea is blocked off by a violent blizzard, preventing anyone from either interfering or leaving. The rapid wind not only carries snow to hinder vision but the barrier around them spins frozen shards a deterrent.

"Have you come to accept your fate, little sister?"

Bismarck META greets the arrival of her visibly upset younger sister. As she draws her sword, the flames coating the blade faintly illuminate the area and rid of the snow around Bismarck META due to its sheer heat.

"I've come to end what we started, big sister" Tirpitz draws her freezing blade
"Why are you still resisting? Knowing very well you cannot overpower me even at full strength......" Bismarck META doesn't raise her sword yet
"I won't surrender to my fate quietly. It's the very regret of my warship life"

As stubborn as Tirpitz can be, she proudly responds while lifting her sword and her rigging stretching its wings wide open.

"How come accept it? I thought you would reject it even if it kills you" Bismarck META lifts her sword
"I'm already dead, Bismarck. Perhaps it's why I've been uneasy all this time" Tirpitz wryly smiles
"Tirpitz....."
"It took me three months, but I've come to make peace with myself and accept reality. It's time you do the same"
"I promised to protect you. That's what I've been doing all this time, but to think it would end this way....."

The two stare at each other for a while, hesitating to engage each other in combat as neither despise each other as enemies.

"At first, I didn't want to resort this way, but I've come to realize you can't be happy this way. This isn't the kind of happiness you'd want" Bismarck META still hesitates
"Although I'm happy at the brief moment of peace, this isn't what I wanted. Going on like this....is actually tiring" Tirpitz shakes her head
"Is that why you came to me knowing this was a trap?"
"Like I said, this has gone far too long. I just want to move on....."
"That's right. It's time to finally give you the peace you've longed for"

The two tighten their grip on their weapons and with the simultaneous roar of both enormous draconic riggings and the boom of cannon fire, the two rush to each other. They swing their blades with force strong enough to briefly erase the snow around them.

Meanwhile......

The other METAs are scattered outside the blizzard, leaving the two to settle their sisterly quarrel. More importantly, they don't wish to be in the middle of intense heat and sheer cold.

"You can feel it too, right?" Scharnhorst META takes a deep breath
"One moment it's cold and the next thing it's hot. They're surprisingly at a stalemate" Gneisenau META adjusts her glasses
"Bismarck is offensive while Tirpitz is defensive. Not to mention, their power contrasts with each other" Scharnhorst META rubs the back of her neck
"Iron Blood and Royal Navy forces are coming soon, but that knight said she's only bringing a small group with her"
"We're just going to stall them, right? It's not like a normal kansen body can pass through the blizzard"

Scharnhorst META narrows her eyes and focuses on the rapid wind current that drags both snow and ice in its spin.

"You should leave now while you can. Tirpitz unleashed a blizzard to contain their fight. None of us wanted flames and ice and spread over a large area" Scharnhorst META turns around
"........"

Victorious is quietly standing nearby alongside Hunter META who appears relaxed and uninterested despite her actual uneasiness.

"I went to the trouble of picking up your equipment for you. Leave while you still have the chance" Hunter META also advises her
"She may have lied and deceived me out of guilt, but I don't think this is the way" Victorious grips her staff
"You would have ran after her if she chose to leave for good" Scharnhorst META turns her gaze back at the blizzard
"Thinking about it, you might have really made the same mistake as your META counterpart if our Tirpitz refused and passed on three months ago" Scharnhorst META stares at the blizzard as well
"I would have done something stupid and might end up repeating their mistake"

Victorious gazes up at the blizzard, and the weather has her reminiscing about first meeting Victorious META and how Tirpitz META views her with great hostility.

"That dummy still has a lot to say to me even if she's not the same dummy that I know....." Victorious approaches the two
"You're an odd one. You care about Tirpitz regardless if it's normal or META....." Hunter META tilts her head
"I can't ignore how she's still the suicidal dummy that I know. Besides, there's no going back, right?" Victorious META glances at Hunter META
"Hmph. That's some kind of faithfulness"
"I'm still angry at her, but I also feel bad! I also thought I might have done the same thing if our positions were switched"
"A friend that loyal is hard to come by" Scharnhorst META scoffs proudly
"I think we can at least let her talk to Tirpitz" Gneisenau META raises her right hand
"Are you two out of your mind? That's a horrible idea"

Hunter META approaches the Ugly Sisters and doesn't hesitate to voice out her disagreement.

"Wouldn't it be heartless if we let Victorious helplessly watch it end?" Gneisenau META wags her index finger
"Victorious isn't going to talk her out of fighting" Scharnhorst META adds
"Then....." Hunter META looks at Victorious
"At the very least, I want her to be honest not just to me but to herself. If it's truly her own choice, then I won't stop her....." Victorious responds with no hesitation
"Even if you want to know her choice, going between them is a death wish....."

Hunter META grunts and glances at the blizzard where flames briefly erupts past the violent wind.

"They're not even fighting seriously, are they? It's like they're still venting out their frustrations" Victorious doesn't fear the clash of heat and cold
"That I can agree with, but you're still risking yourself" Hunter META looks away
"I've always risked myself. I once thought it's impossible to budge Iron Blood's stubborn ice queen, but I took my chances. Why should I hesitate now?" Victorious looks at the three METAs
"Bismarck only asked us to send Victorious away and hold off the other kansens" Scharnhorst META scratches her cheeks
"I might just be able to briefly open a safe spot within the blizzard. It'll be just for a moment, so not only you'll have to go in there by yourself, it's a one-way trip" Hunter META warns Victorious
"That's fine. You're all just doing your job and there's no benefit helping me...but you still do"

Victorious imagines how much the two are swinging their swords at each other and shooting one shell after another. She frowns at how unnecessary the current conflict is right now since they're aggressively attacking each other rather than discussing it like normal people.

Meanwhile.......

A force lead by Bismarck spots the blizzard forming a barrier even from a car distance. Aircraft scouting the area couldn't approach near as engines begin to freeze and one aircraft wing is struck by an ice shard flying at high speed.

"The wind speed and icicles will make it impossible to breach the blizzard. Not to mention, the temperature is likely below zero inside"

Peter Strasser hypothesizes from her aircraft circling the barrier of ice and snow. She loses one of her aircraft five meters from the blizzard when the engines instantly freeze, and the left wing is shredded by icicles.

"Tirpitz is there....."

Bismarck lifts her head, staring at the blizzard that the META tends to unleash whenever she takes control.

"What's your next call? If the Royal Navy Intel is correct, not only Tirpitz is there but your META version too" Prinz Eugen steps forward
"Rushing in blindly is not a good idea, so how do we interrupt their quarrel?" Odin squints her eyes

The Iron Blood fleet stops in their tracks as extra precaution against the blizzard damaging everything near it accompanied by its extremely low temperature.

".......!"

Before Bismarck can even spare a minute to narrow down her options, multiple shells rain on them, forcing them to scatter for a moment.

"Unfortunately, none of you are getting through here" Scharnhorst META announces first
"You can't stop them, Bismarck" Gneisenau META adds
"You two again......"

Everyone already expects other META accomplices to intervene like in the past, but Bismarck is displeased that they're buying time.

"Move out of the way. Fighting here is pointless! I have to reach Tirpitz"
"Why? She's not your sister" Scharnhorst META frowns
"It's not like you to save someone you should despise" Gneisenau META also questions her
"After everything Tirpitz did, she's just going to run away and escape? Someone like her should bear that sin so long as she lives" Bismarck swings her arms
"That's not an option. Tirpitz is already tired of trying to live a life not meant for her" Scharnhorst META shakes her head
"It's not the kind of living she had in mind. That's why even Tirpitz acknowledges it's wrong"
"Even so, she has to face the consequences of her actions!"

Bismarck opens fire first and with a deafening roar from Geryon, dive bombers from both aircraft carriers force the two METAs to move away from each other.

"I'm guessing she doesn't know, huh......" Gneisenau META turns the right and dodges an incoming shell
"At this point, would it matter? Bismarck won't reach her in time after all" Scharnhorst META groans
"Are you sure you want to be like this, Scharnhorst?"
"........"

While continuing to be on the defensive, Scharnhorst META remains unsure even if she believes they must keep Bismarck away from the blizzard.

"......!"

In a few seconds of distraction, Bismarck rushes forward and nearly catches Scharnhorst META off guard. Just as she realizes Bismarck is about to swing her sword at her, Scharnhorst META draws hers.

"Even if the one I spoke to wasn't my sister, it belonged to hers" Bismarck pushes Scharnhorst META
"Why are both versions so difficult to deal with....."
"I read the letter where my sister felt nothing but guilt for leaving her mess to her META counterpart. She was tired, so she confessed and left......" Bismarck points her blade
"That's right. After realizing she started to get attached, the realization struck her. After a long time, she finally realized how messed up it is to pretend as someone and use the body as their own"

Scharnhorst META grits her teeth and tightens the grip on her sword not out of anger but out of pity and frustration.

"That's something Tirpitz should tell me herself. Move out of the way, Scharnhorst. I need to stop her from running away again. Don't make me fight you" Bismarck warns her
"What's the point, Bismarck? She'll cease to exist anyway"
"Wants that supposed to mean?"
"The Tirpitz you want to talk to is going to die. It's as simple as that" Scharnhorst META briefly averts her gaze
"I have more reason to reach her now. Geryon!"

The three-headed mechanical beast roars and flaps its wings wide open and briefly shakes the water's surface around Bismarck.

"No, I still can't allow her. There's nothing left after all......" Scharnhorst META mumbles to herself

Scharnhorst META moves back to evade the hail of high explosive shells from Geryon, but her hesitation stops her from opening fire.

"Geryon!"

Being distracted again, Scharnhorst META's thoughts drift for a few seconds and blink in surprise when Bismarck shouts.

"What-!"

The enormous draconic rigging rams its head right to Scharnhorst META and knocks her away by ten meters and even dents her hull.

"What is it you want to say to her?" Scharnhorst META grips her aching left shoulder while standing back up
".......?"
"What if you won't make it in time and you'll only have a moment before she gets herself killed? What will you say to her, Bismarck?"
"If possible, I want to hear true thoughts on everything. She's not the same META who wanted me dead. Revenge isn't in her mind anymore - just longing for anything remotely close to a peaceful life"
"......."

Scharnhorst META doesn't actually expect Bismarck to be less hostile to Tirpitz after lying and deceiving her for three months. She couldn't respond immediately and blinks several times, puzzled if Bismarck is being sincere.

"Aircraft at two o'clock!" Regensburg informs the others
"I'll handle the enemy aircraft" Peter Strasser volunteers

An immediate exchange of machine gun fire commences between opposing fighter aircraft and other fighter aircraft targeting bomber aircraft. They swarm the sky like flies, mixing bullets with burning aircraft followed by explosions forming balls of black smoke in the sky.

"Although we're buying time......"

The source of the enemy aircraft, Ark Royal META, lifts her rifle also functioning as a flight deck.

"This is such a pain in the ass. Let her through if you want to"

Ark Royal META groans and radios Scharnhorst META as soon as she spots the latter hesitating to attack and mostly focusing on evading Geryon's attacks and pushing Bismarck back.

[What?]

Back on the duel between Bismarck and Scharnhorst META, the latter moved several meters back in shock of Ark Royal META not only suddenly radioing her but not caring about Bismarck META's request.

[I don't have to obey the other Bismarck, but we both know there's no point in stopping this Bismarck]
"But....."

Scharnhorst META remains reluctant while she slashes down Bismarck who uses her own sword to block above her head.

[If I were to ask you, what is it you want to do? Hold down Bismarck until it's too late or let her talk to Tirpitz? Either way the fate will remain the same, right?]
"I know that, but....."
[Tirpitz is getting exhausted. She won't last long]
".........."

Scharnhorst META glances at the wind and snow making the blizzard's barrier fluctuating. It weakens for at least three seconds which only indicates Tirpitz losing focus or her strength is significantly drained.

"Aaaah!"

Frustrated, Scharnhorst META swings her sword in the air before charging straight to Bismarck who prepares to counter her swing.

On the other side......

The Royal Navy group lead by King George V is stopped by three Royal Navy METAs. The knight brushes the scratch on her cheek while her opponents, Renown META and Repulse META barely break a sweat.

"Are you two done?" Hunter META comments from the side

Rather than direct combat, Hunter META chooses the long ranged support role by forcing the Royal Navy ships to evade her and lose their attention from Ark Royal META's aircraft.

"Why aren't you letting us through? We're here to rescue Victorious"

Howe is nearly hit by one of Ark Royal META's dive bombers. She wants to aid her sister against the Renown META, but she and the others are mostly occupied by the many aircraft swarming and relentlessly attacking them while Hunter META is shooting at them with both her rigging and sniper rifle.

"Rescue? I'm afraid we let Victorious go before the battle started" Repulse META raises an eyebrow
"What?!"
"About that....." Hunter META averts her gaze
"What happened this time?" Repulse META is getting nervous
"Where's Victorious?" Illustrious overhears them

Even while doing what she can to fend off the pestering fighter aircraft, she joins in the conversation.

"In there"

Hunter META lifts her arm and swings her arm to the back with her thumb pointing at the clearly dangerous blizzard.

"You let her in there?!" Renown META is shocked
"What were you thinking?!" Repulse META is also shocked
"If something were to happen to Victorious-" Howe points her sword at Hunter META
"Relax. I made sure she went past the barrier safely. Although, I doubt she already reached them with how terrible the weather is inside" Hunter META shrugs
"Let's just shoot them and be done" Drake clicks her tongue
"Don't be too rash" Belfast steps in front

Everyone is preoccupied with a fresh squadron of META aircraft, forcing them in the defensive again, except for King George V who takes on Renown META in a one-on-one fight.

"I think your arm is broken....." Renown META scratches her cheek
"Nonsense. I'm still in a fighting condition" King George V proudly denies it
"......"

To Renown META, it's obvious King George V's left arm is hurt from their clash earlier when she can barely grip her sword tightly and how it trembles.

"I don't really know what wen through your head when you agreed to this....." Renown META shakes her head
"I would have intervened if it went too far. I suppose that's why she never told me about nearly burning her sister and kidnapping Victorious"
"......"
"How about you? Why are you cooperating with Bismarck?"
"We were simply scattered in this timeline at first until Bismarck found and gathered us. She didn't force or anything. In fact, Bismarck META wouldn't argue if we choose to go on our own" Renown META calmly responds
"Why didn't you?"
"Our home is destroyed and this is practically our second home. It's best to stick together since the METAs who made to this timeline are few. Maybe in other timelines, more than half of our friends survived"

Renown META solemnly gazes at the sky, lamenting at the misfortune of her original timeline that no longer exists after another incident.

"I'm an older sister too, so I can understand Bismarck in a way. Although their stubbornness is why this situation escalated this badly" Renown META shakes her head
"Renown......"
"I'm worried about Victorious too, but I can't allow any of you to interfere. You'd get caught in their clash anyway" Renown META lifts her greatsword
"This wouldn't have happened if you didn't let Victorious in there!" Repulse META yells at Hunter META
"You would have done the same anyway....."

Hunter META doesn't have the slightest interest in arguing with them and even points out.

"As much as I don't like fighting former comrades, you would rather not be in there. It's personal matter between them" Renown META makes it clear
"I see. That's a clear shame......"

King George V takes a deep breath and even if her left arm is aching, she ignores the pain and lifts her saber for another clash. The sting of forcing a damaged body part spreads to the rest of her body, but she endures it as much as she endures any other injury.

Inside the blizzard......

Tirpitz is knocked back by a wave of Bismarck META's intense flames, and the damage is lessened when her rigging shields her with its wing.

"Your cold is waning. Are you already exhausted?"

Bismarck META swings her left arm and shatter the ice freezing it. She's slightly disappointed when her flames have yet to weaken.

"If this is your limit, then-"

Just as Bismarck META lifts her sword, Tirpitz opens fire and cuts her word short. Unfortunately for her, Geryon moves to shield Bismarck META too.

"It's time to rest, Tirpitz" Bismarck META exhales
"Have you forgotten? We only rest when we're dead"

Tirpitz already senses the blizzard will gradually weaken soon as she couldn't ignore her exhaustion any longer. It's only a bit annoying to her how Bismarck META keeps staring at her in pity.

"......You're right"

Bismarck META surprises Tirpitz with a swift thrust that the latter dodges by relying on her instinct. She moves her left foot to the back and turns the side, briefly catching the motion of a flaming sword cutting through the snow and wind.

"......." Bismarck META immediately follows with a downwards swing
"Heavy......" Tirpitz mutters when she lifts her sword to block it in the last minute
"You have to put more effort-"

To Bismarck META's actual surprise, she blinks and finds Tirpitz thrusting her sword in front of her. She blocks the attack by lifting her forearm in front of her and letting the sword pierces her forearm before it reaches.

"Hmm?"

Ice begins to freeze the area around where Tirpitz has stabbed her arm, prompting her to pull away her arm from the sword and moving a few meters back.

"You still have that much strength" Bismarck META increases the heat on her forearm to cancel out the ice
"Why are you entertaining this fight? You're not even serious" Tirpitz lowers her hand
"So are you" Bismarck META squeezes her hand

The two briefly stops fighting and silence falls for the next few seconds. While the blizzard rages on around them, the two stare at each other but without any hostility or animosity.

"You once said you didn't want to lose me, so you agreed to revive me. Even when I lost myself, you couldn't deal the finishing blow" Tirpitz takes a deep breath
"I cared about you as my sister but I still performed my duty as a leader. I didn't let my emotions guide me, so I appeared heartless in front of you and most people. If I had to listen to her sooner, none of this would have happened"

Bismarck META briefly recalls her conversation with Hood, but to her, it's been a long time that she can vaguely relive the moment even in her thoughts. It's too late to regret after losing much of her allies and the entirety of her original home.

"I still have comrades. Some of them are here and some of them are within this timeline, but I only have one younger sister" Bismarck lowers her guard
"If you had been honest about your feelings, I wouldn't have become a raging zombie"

The two sisters both stop thinking about their conflict and lament about what they wished they could have done and said a long time ago.

"The best option is you should have killed me as a mindless husk and end both of our miseries. You would have moved on and I wouldn't be here" Tirpitz sorrowfully smiles
"I don't want that. Even if I would forgive myself one day, you don't deserve a horrible fate" Bismarck META shakes her head
"I got my revenge on Victorious META, but it felt empty. It's not that I regretted killing her, but I was upset I had to kill someone I loved as a dear friend" Tirpitz lowers her head
"Tirpitz, why did you uphold your promise? No, why did you promise even if it's against your heart?"
"Why? I thought this might be what I want - a fresh start and a peaceful life. It's true I can call it that way, but I'm not heartless. I know it's wrong to pretend as someone while possessing their dead body. It's too cruel....."
"You got soft....."
".....Their Bismarck doesn't know but she truly loved and cared about Tirpitz. She wanted to make up for her mistakes and reconciled with her. It's all I wanted, but it's not me....."

Tirpitz is somewhat reluctant admitting she's moved by the sincerity and honesty by the normal Bismarck even if it's not directed towards her.

"It made me remember what I wished for before I lost my mind. What I longed for is to love and be loved because I lost warmth after being scorched by our timeline's ruthless conflict. Undergoing an imperfect METAmorphosis stripped me of my ability to understand it"
"........" Bismarck META lowers her gaze
"I want to remember being happy again, so I agreed to live as someone else. For a moment, I did come to love this kind of life and was happy about it"
"......but you couldn't endure lying in front of everyone"
"Yes. That's why I gradually grew tired of it"

The more Tirpitz opens her thoughts to Bismarck META, the more her heart aches from admitting how she longs for the emotions she has lost in the conflict and the tragedy of being reanimated against her will.

"When King George V told me about your plan, I was angry at first but I quickly thought it was the best outcome for everyone"
"You'd essentially die" Bismarck META reminds her
"I know I'll disappear but I want to rest. That's why I want you to move on and accept I'm already dead for a long time"
"I couldn't accept your death, so I rejected it and brought you back. Unfortunately, I played God and faced the consequences of my actions"
"........."
"I'm sorry you suffered because of my actions. I don't want to grieve, so I ignored your wish"
"You should have said that when you reanimated me"

For a moment, Tirpitz's thoughts come to a halt, and she actually curve a faint smile of content. The words are short, but she's genuinely content hearing a heartfelt apology and realization from her older sister.

"Heh. If we weren't so stubborn and prideful, none of this would have happened. We both refused to admit our mistakes. I should have become honest about my feelings too and admitted I got tired of fighting" Tirpitz gazes at Bismarck META
"That's why I have to accept you died that day and put you to rest. The rest that I robbed you off when I brought you back"

Bismarck META brings out the object Neumark made and adjusted by certain Arbiters. It's a thin cylinder-shaped object with brightly glowing energy on its gaps. That energy is mostly concentrated on one end, protruding into a stubby pointy edge.

"Temperance and Hermit informed me it couldn't truly erase you, but it's as if you'll cease to exist" Bismarck META carefully hold it
"I want to hear it from you. So what will happen to me?"
"Your wisdom cube will be wiped clean. It'll be as if.....your memories never existed. The body will still be the normal counterpart but the wisdom cube will still be yours"
"Huh. A normal kansen body sealing a META's wisdom cube......." Tirpitz wryly smiles
"You wouldn't know it.....because you wouldn't remember"
"This is what's best for everyone. I can finally have a new life without the lies and deception"
"It's no different from death. The 'you' that exists right now will disappear forever"

A part of Bismarck META wishes for Tirpitz to reconsider her decision because to an older sister, it will leave a tragic memory of losing her younger sister for good. Tirpitz will physically continue to exist, but mentally it's as if she's the old one erased all of her experiences.

"I've forgiven you already, big sister" Tirpitz calmly responds
"........"
"I held a grudge against everyone, especially to you, but you really tried to make amends even if you don't want me to forgive you"
"Tirpitz...." Bismarck META approaches her
"I don't hate you or anyone else anymore. What I only hate is myself for letting this happen and for the people I've hurt as an undead battleship"
"Are you really certain this is what you want? If you don't want to....."
"It's alright. You're just correcting this. I already died and the dead well....should stay dead" Tirpitz wryly smiles
"Tirpitz-"
"Tirpitz!"

Bismarck lifts her hand to deliver the "killing blow" on her sister when a third person shouts at the top of her lungs just as she bursts out of the blizzard barrier protecting the center and nearly stumbles down.

"Victorious?!" The two sisters shout in unison
"S-stop fighting!"
"......." The two briefly glances at each other
"I can't let you get yourself killed, Tirpitz. Even if your body won't die, forgetting is worse than normally dying" Victorious rushes to her
"You knew......but you're still charging here" Tirpitz shakes her head
"I'm mad that you lied, but you had to carry on as my friend because you promised and didn't want me to be like your Victorious"
"I know you wouldn't make the same mistake as she did"
"That's not the point" Victorious lightly hits Tirpitz
"Why are you here?"
"You don't have to die like this just because you feel guilty. It's unfair when all you wanted was a peaceful life after suffering as an angry zombie then an angry ghost"
"......" Bismarck META crosses her arms while being a spectator

On one side, Bismarck META is quietly observing and listening to them arguing, but she is neither impatient nor annoyed.

"Even if you're a META, you're still Tirpitz and no matter what version, I can't help but worry and feel bad for an icy blockhead like you" Victorious grabs Tirpitz's collar
"You don't have to extend your affection towards me. I killed your META counterpart and I couldn't even regret it. I nearly killed you in the past too" Tirpitz gently puts down Victorious's hand grabbing her collar
"Why are you willing to die like this? There's not going back and this is cruel for someone who only wanted a fresh start"
"This is a fresh start. No more lies and no more deception. I don't have to hide anything anymore"

Tirpitz remains certain of her decision even if the attachment she developed to the normal Victorious causes her to feel guilt and pity for what she can perceive as abandonment.

"So that's it? After confessing to me, you're just going to permanently disappear?! You! You're a suicidal blockhead who runs to death without thinking how others would feel as if you're still stuck being the lone drama queen of the North!"

Victorious bursts out in anger and repeatedly hits Tirpitz's shoulders while the latter firmly stands and allows her to vent out every ounce of frustration, she knows that she deserves.

"I'm angry, but I don't hate you! I lost one Tirpitz, I don't want to lose another!"

Tears burst out when Victorious fully admits her strong disapproval of Tirpitz's decision. Even in the sheer cold, it couldn't stop her warm tears staining her soft cheeks.

"Don't leave me the same way my friend did! It's unfair that you're going to disappear while leaving me angry and sad at the same time!" Victorious continues to hit her
"The moment I chose to lie and deceive you, I know this is a debt I have to repay sooner or later. I came to accept if my life is the payment, then I'll gladly hand it over.....so no one has to get hurt anymore"

Tirpitz stops Victorious from further throwing a tantrum by gently wrapping her arms around Victorious trembling not out of the cold but out of uncontrollable frustration. It's also an opportunity for her to be honest and embrace her without needing to be her normal counterpart.

"After everything, you got the nerve to leave by killing yourself again?! You have to live with the consequences of your actions! You don't get to go peacefully after confessing you've been lying and deceiving us this whole time!"

Victorious suddenly pulls herself away and grabs Tirpitz by the collar again, but she violently shakes her back and forth this time. Her anger overpowers her sorrow when even the META is acting like the normal counterpart when facing a dead-end.

"I'm just setting everything right. Forcing myself to live by lying made me as miserable as my former self as the Lone Queen of the North. If this keeps up, I'll repeat the mistake of giving up and dying all of a sudden again" Tirpitz tries to break free
"Isn't this the same thing?!"
"Victorious, I'm not the Tirpitz you know and I don't want you to force yourself to accept me. Even if I'm also Tirpitz, I can't replace your friend" Tirpitz gently pulls away Victorious's hands
"I'm not forcing-"
"It's alright. Everything's going to be alright after I disappear for good"
"No, it's not! Even if I admit a part of me doesn't want to forgive you, I'm losing Tirpitz again!"

Victorious continues to disapprove as she's overwhelmed by personal emotions and a bit of selfishness.

"Don't worry. This time, for sure, you won't lose your friend and I'm certain 'I' won't leave you this time" Tirpitz faintly sighs
".....I already knew this was the least painful option, but Tirpitz is Tirpitz even if it's one that hated me and nearly killed me before" Victorious rubs her eyes
"I mellowed out after living as my normal counterpart. I relived the days where I first warmed up to everyone. This time, I want to experience it again without lying. A real fresh start"
"Still......"

Victorious's tears already cease, but she rubs her reddened and sore eyes from the sorrow swelling in her heart.

"It's fine. Even if I forget everything, I'm sure I'll warm up to you again"
"What makes you say that?"
"You unknowingly got through me, didn't you?" Tirpitz tilts her head
"You're really a big dummy. A META kind of dummy that is......"
"I have faith that I'll remain the same person even if we start over from scratch. I'll be your friend again"
"........." Victorious lowers her head
"I know you had a lot of regret, things you wanted to say to Tirpitz. This time, be sure to gather all those thoughts and don't regret it again"
"I'll make sure you won't turn out like this - another suicidal dummy in the making. Unless that's how different versions of Tirpitz tend to be" Victorious holds her left arm
"......."

Tirpitz is slightly reluctant, but she musters the courage to lift her hand and gently places it on top of Victorious. She slowly moves her hand side to side, petting her in the head like how Victorious tends to comfort her in the past.

"I hope you finally get the rest you've been longing" Victorious takes a deep breath
"Be sure to move on"
"I'm not going to forget this version of you"
"I'm not asking to forget. I'm asking to accept and move forward
"Tirpitz......"
"I don't have much strength to maintain this blizzard for long. Put me to rest before Bismarck comes in and stops this"

Tirpit turns to face Bismarck META and firmly accepts her inevitable death, her doubts and sorrow lessening from at least being sincere with Victorious for the last time.

"I never wanted to use this method, but this is for your own sake. I couldn't bear you to be miserable any longer"
"You did everyone a favor because if it was me, I would have fled and disappeared from everyone"

Tirpitz weakly groans from admitting her primary solution is escaping from her own mess and leaving everyone without a conclusion or even learning her true thoughts.

"Even if I won't interfere in your life, I'll still protect you. With or without memories, it wouldn't change the fact that you're my only younger sister"
"I won't be able to recognize you as my sister......" Tirpitz sorrowfully smiles
"May you finally rest forever, my dear younger sister"

Bismarck META tightens the grip on the object and energy envelopes the cylinder-shaped body and light blue energy engulfs the steel completely. It turns into a blade-like energy.

".......!" Victorious holds her hand together and refuses to look away
"........" Bismarck META takes a deep breath

Bismarck META bites her lower lip as she lifts her hand and continues to tightly grip the blade. With a deep breath and great pain stinging in her heart, she plunges the energy coated object right through the heart.

"........!" Tirpitz takes a step back

A brief shock spreads throughout her body and by the time the pain slowly fades away, glowing blue circuit lines traces from the area around where her heart then throughout to the rest of her body. It causes her META state to react when her eyes brightly glow the same way when she's agitated.

"Nngh....." Tirpitz staggers back
"Tirpitz"
"Hmm?" Bismarck META stares far

In the few seconds Victorious uses her body to support Tirpitz before she collapses on the ground, Bismarck META detects the incoming shells first and moves in front of the two to have her Geryon spreads its wings and act as a shield for the three of them.

"That was unwise" Bismarck META berates
"You......!"

The source of the surprise shelling is Bismarck shallowly cut by the ice shards within the blizzard and the drastically low temperature freezing some parts of her and Geryon.

"How.....did you get in here unscathed?" Tirpitz whispers to Victorious
"Hunter META had what she called as a backdoor from Bismarck META and threw it like grenades. It was really hot passing through the horrible steam bath" Victorious shudders

Even Geryon suffered slashes and scrapes from head to tail, primarily focusing on shielding Bismarck as the latter forces herself inside the hostile blizzard.

"Tirpitz!"

Bismarck ignores her injuries and exhaustion just to call out Tirpitz who's clearly aware of her presence the moment she opens fire a them.

"Why.....why did you flee after confessing the truth to me? Did you come to accept death again?!"
"That's......right. I came here because I want to die in the cruelest way I could think of"

Tirpitz's strength is draining, but she can at least stand on her own and converse properly for the next few minutes.

"This is the least painful outcome for you......"

The object stabbing her chest slowly breaks apart and the pieces gradually disintegrate as it rises up, vanishing two seconds into the air.

"How can you say that?!" Bismarck rushes to her
"You you lost.....your sister. I'm just giving her back"

When Tirpitz staggers back again, Bismarck META grabs her this time and supports Tirpitz's body before she loses her balance.

"What......?" Bismarck furrows her eyebrows
"I'm not your sister, just someone who lead to her death. Even if I have her body, pretending to be her isn't living"
"Then why endure it?" Bismarck clenches her fists
"I don't want you to make the same mistake as Bismarck META. It made you miserable and riddled with guilt. At the very least, I want you to be remain who you are now - proud and vowed to no longer regret her choices"

Hearing it, Bismarck META silently lowers her gaze as even she would describe herself that way.

"At least this way, I'll be put to rest without being brought back to this world. It's not right after all because I already died.....and I should have stayed that way"
"You saw your revival as a mistake......"
"I couldn't replace your sister, so lying to myself that it was for the best made me felt horrible every day. I hated every moment of it, and especially how you loved her while you remained unaware"

Although Tirpitz has forgiven Bismarck META and accepted the latter cared for her as a sister, Tirpitz's guilt gnaws at her. The normal Bismarck becomes more sincere and less selfish to Tirpitz which is already too late by the time she changed.

"To forget and disappear forever is worse than normally dying. This is my punishment for being mistakenly revived" Tirpitz clutches her chest
"You were revived against your will and you did this so we won't become like our META counterpart"
"That's right. I don't want you to be lead astray again, so I endured it until I'm sure you won't repeat the same mistake"
"Tirpitz"
"You didn't.....deserve to lose your sister just as you didn't deserve being lied at when you've been truthful to me"

The pain in Tirpitz's chest increases to the point her expression twists and her voice faintly grunts.

"This is the only way to fulfill both our wishes. I finally get to rest, and you will have your sister back"
"How will this solve anything?!" Bismarck raises her voice
"My consciousness will die - I'll forget everything and disappear forever. It's as if the current 'me' never existed and by the time I wake up, it'll be like a long hazy dream"
"You're wiping your own memory? That's still death....."
"I know, but at least Tirpitz META will cease to exist. I'll go back to be the normal Tirpitz who would never know her heart is a dormant META wisdom cube"

Tirpitz takes few deep breaths to ease the increasing headache as if begins to affect her consciousness now. She can feel the energy seeping into her wisdom cube and starts to pry into her cognitive chip.

"Does it have to be this way? Even I wouldn't resort to this......" Bismarck wants to reject the idea even if it already started
"Do you want me to keep lying leaving you ignorant while the guilt keeps piling up?"
"Even if you return to acting like how Tirpitz used to be, I will always remember how it came to be"
"You have a second chance this time, Bismarck. I'm giving you the opportunity to make sure neither of us suffer again......"

Tirpitz loses most of her strength and rather than helplessly collapse, Bismarck META gently bends on the ground and holds Tirpitz in her arms.

"When it comes to other people, you tend to abandon yourself for their happiness...." Bismarck bends on one knee
"Aren't you the same? You'd sacrifice your own wishes for Iron Blood. I guess it's something we both share other than being stubborn" Tirpitz weakly laughs
"I can't see you the same way as my sister, but I don't have a grudge to you. My sister felt guilty for leaving her problems to you" Bismarck makes her confession too
"What else did she write to me? I never bothered to finish it because I was afraid of hurting my own feelings"
"She must have known you would do something like this, so she wrote she wouldn't blame you for making this decision.....because she would do the same thing"
"Yeah. That's what I thought......"

Tirpitz takes a deep sigh since both versions tend to lack self-preservation, so it's unsurprising even the normal one will jump straight to death if it means to protect those she cares about.

"My sister will wake up as if everything, even a year ago, never happened. It's like she was only asleep for a long time....."
"That's right. I'm not completely discarding myself Tirpitz. I'm just doing everything over again, except I'm the only one who knows"
"I won't make the same mistake anymore. This time, I'll make sure I won't lose you, Tirpitz. I only have one sister after all"

Bismarck stops her voice from shaking as she reaches for Tirpitz's wrist. She relaxes her palm on top of her cold body and ignores the way her low body temperature stings and prickles her skin.

".....This is your real fresh start, isn't it? You wanted to have another chance in life without needing to lie and deceive us" Bismarck takes a deep breath
"A fresh start for all of us. My consciousness will disappear into a long dream too, so I'm giving my heart so your sister can live again....."
"That's why I hope you won't be another suicidal dummy again" Victorious kneels beside Bismarck
"I won't leave anyone behind this time. This time, there won't be any regret and this won't be repeated"
"Rather than live with the consequences of your actions, you're going to leave us behind.....just so you can be Tirpitz again"
"I lost my way a long time ago and changed for the worse. I want to go back to being the simple Tirpitz and this is the only way....."

Tirpitz has difficulty resisting the energy eating away her cognitive functions and further draining her strength to the point she can't concentrate enough to maintain the blizzard. The terrible and freezing weather will disperse after ten minutes or so as Tirpitz loses grip on her own power.

"That's right. I want to be happy again....and simply being my normal self was the happiest I've ever been"
"........" Bismarck briefly closes her eyes
"Tirpitz....." Victorious is about to burst into tears again
"I wanted to love and be loved. I longed for it when I remembered warmth.....because I've always been lonely. My happiness....is just that simple"
"I hope you find yourself a permanent rest no different from a sweet dream" Bismarck solemnly wishes for Tirpitz
"It's been said a lot but you won't truly die we'd never forget this and we'd never forget you. That's why.....you big dummy.....don't do something like this again even if you don't remember" Victorious lightly hits her for the last time
"Don't you have anything to say to me, big sister?" Tirpitz faintly smiles

Bismarck META has been quiet for a while, so Tirpitz lets the two finish speaking first before turning her attention back to her sister.

"I've said everything, but......I'm glad you acknowledged what it is you truly wanted. This way, you don't have anything to regret or worry about" Bismarck META faintly smiles
"Is that so....."
"As your sister, I hope you'll realize your wish for simple happiness. You'll always be my younger sister even if I'll be a stranger to you if we somehow meet again"
"I'm sure we'll meet again. Hopefully, we don't fight each other like stubborn children again......"

The exhaustion is finally taking a toll when Tirpitz's eyes feel heavy and views as if her surroundings are slowly growing darker.

"Take care of yourself this time, will you?"

Tirpitz musters enough strength for a gentle smile and rests head to her older sister's side with warmth being ironically the last sensation she feels as her body is numb by the time she leaves her parting words. Right as she slowly closes her eyes, Tirpitz thinks she catches a glance of Bismarck META shedding a single tear and dropping on her cheek.

"......."

In the moment of her actual death, Tirpitz stands in the familiar plain of snow, but it's warmer as if winter is ending soon. The reflection of the normal counterpart stands in front of her, but it faintly smiles at her this time.

"I'm sorry this didn't end as we both hoped, but there was no ending for everyone. I would say our lives have ended, but I'll still live. I'm just going back to being simply Tirpitz. Although I will have to live without knowing it for the rest of my life"
"........"
"My happiness is simple, so I'm better off giving this much for that one wish. They're important to me and I came to love them, but I genuinely want to experience learning how to feel warmth and love all over again"
"......."
"That's why I hoped you could let go of the part of you that clung up until now. I can pass on peacefully now because I know I'll finally get my second chance in life.....for real this time"

Tirpitz doesn't want to prolong the conversation, so she concludes knowing the reflection  wouldn't respond, let alone react.

".......Good for you"
"Huh?"

When Tirpitz lifts her head after actually hearing a response, the reflection disintegrates with only floating icy particles as the evidence of her presence.

"How about you? Do you have a long speech?" Tirpitz turns around
"Nope. I'm satisfied with everything" Victorious META cheerfully assures her
"Figures......"

Tirpitz takes a deep breath, cherishing the peaceful surrounding even if it's only a scene where her dying thoughts are constructed to comfort her while the last of her thoughts melts away, slowly transitioning from winter to spring.

........
........

In reality, Bismarck META is tightly holding Tirpitz's motionless body. She's physically alive, but the one she knows completely ceases to exist by now.

"Let me grieve and mourn for my sister"

Bismarck META softly requests the two while she continues to hold the unconscious Tirpitz in her arms. Her heart coils and twists in grief since she still couldn't bear to accept the result even if she willingly chooses it and allows it.

"......because this might be the last time I will be able to hold her"

The blizzard disperses greatly that the whiteout blocking out both sides now displays the far sea and the clear blue sky slowly returning.

"I'll protect her this time, so none of this will be repeated. It's my promise.....as her older sister" Bismarck steps forward
"She'll have us, so it's going to be alright" Victorious tries to comfort her
"The sister I cared for ceased to exist, but I'm grateful she finally passed on without regret this time. However, I will continue to grieve and this sadness will always remain in my heart"

Bismarck META retains her nearly cold and stern voice even if her heart is aching and causing her hands to tremble from the sorrow she has long forgotten.

"I hope we don't have to cross paths again, my dear sister. You're better off living free from the reminder of who you used to be"

Bismarck META softly whispers to Tirpitz that the other two couldn't make sense of her words. They wouldn't ask what it means out of respect.

"........" King George V refuses to get near

King George V, alongside other ships, witnesses Bismarck and Victorious quietly standing in front of Bismarck META who appears to be restraining much of her emotions while tightly embracing a motionless Tirpitz.

"In the end, I let her through....." Scharnhorst META sighs
"Which was the best choice" Gneisenau META taps her shoulder
"Can I go home now?" Hunter META quickly complains
"To erase your own thoughts is a horrible way to go out, huh" Renown META ponders
"Yeah. She'll never be the same person even if she acts like normal Tirpitz" Repulse META lightly shakes her head
"Bismarck......"

The METAs are already away from the battle before the blizzard even disperses, but they stay to witness how it ends for both sides. Ark Royal META softens her voice for a moment, sympathizing knowing very well how the end is Bismarck inevitably "killing" her sister.

Two days later......

Iron Blood is operating normally as if charging straight to Bismarck META's hideout and after the runaway Tirpitz isn't much of a huge issue. If anything, few people want to speak it out loud after Bismarck returns carrying Tirpitz herself and refusing to speak to anyone for the rest of the day.

"Are you sure letting Bismarck META leave was the best decision?" Graf Zeppelin questions her
"It's fine. I don't want to fight her while she's grieving"
"It's disrespectful, huh" Graf Zeppelin expects the response
"Is Victorious not planning to visit yet? It's unusual for her to not barge here uninvited"
"King George V said she's not in the mood and I don't know why. Something about being depressed with what happened the other day"
"I kind of expected that"
"Also, we kicked out Alabama since you've instructed everyone no visitors or prying eyes allowed for the time being"
"Oh......"

Bismarck doesn't comment much about it knowing it's how Victorious will naturally react after the whole incident.

"How's.....Tirpitz?"

While the two stroll around the base with little to no reason, Bismarck reluctantly asks for an update.

"Neumark, who you pardoned, confirmed there's no issue in her wisdom cube this time and swore she's not lying this time" Graf Zeppelin scoffs
"I see....."
"You don't have to do office work if you're still emotionally unwell"
"I'm fine" Bismarck swiftly responds
"Really? After returning you had such an intense expression that even U-556 is too afraid to get near"

Graf Zeppelin still clearly refreshes the memory of Bismarck's grim expression and how her eyes are nearly devoid of emotions. It's the first time she's seen Bismarck that upset and the silence further intensifies it.

"........"

Bismarck suddenly stops in her tracks when she quickly catches Tirpitz's figure sitting by the port and seemingly on a trance.

"Take your time. Everyone wants you to relax anyway" Graf Zeppelin understands and walks away at that moment
"........"

Bismarck takes a step forward and pauses for a few seconds before she firms herself into approaching Tirpitz who's really blankly staring at the coast. The latter doesn't even hear Bismarck's footsteps towards even and doesn't even realize she's standing behind her.

"Tirpitz...." Bismarck softly calls her in order not to startle her
"Bismarck? What's the matter?"

Tirpitz lazily turns her head, more concerned at her drifting thoughts rather than Bismarck approaching her even if there's no upcoming mission for her.

"Nothing in particular. I'm just checking on your well-being...."

Bismarck couldn't erase her sorrow when Tirpitz stares at her innocently. Just like before, returns to being calm, gentle, and quiet. She lacks her former self being casually not in the mood and expressive.

"I'm doing fine. I just feel like this is the best place to spend my afternoon"

Tirpitz stares back at the sea stretching far, seemingly puzzled and lost at faint the emotions stirred inside.

"You've been staring at the sea ever since you woke up this morning. Is everything alright?" Bismarck clears her throat
"I had a dream....."
"I want to hear it" Bismarck sits near her
"I was enjoying the beach, walking by the sands and enjoying the fresh air. It felt too real even if I haven't taken a vacation to a beach that beautiful"

Tirpitz gazes up at the sky, slowly drifting into her thoughts again as she constantly reminds herself of how her strange dream is of her enjoying herself in an unfamiliar beach.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm not alone. Like someone is watching me....."
"Don't overthink or you'll worry yourself for no reason" Bismarck calmly advises her
"What is this strange feeling as if I'm missing something? As if.....I've forgotten something"
"........"

Hearing that, Bismarck senses a brief sting in her chest because Tirpitz's old emotions still lingers.

"Whenever I think of that dream where I'm happy, I feel.....sad thinking about it. I wonder what that dreamt meant......" Tirpitz stares at the sea
"Perhaps your worry is preventing you from enjoying your life. Don't think of a dream, Tirpitz. Think about your life here, in reality"
"Life, huh. When I woke up this morning, my thoughts were so hazy that it's as if I had a long dream. There was so much in it that I mostly forgot when I woke up"
"Must have been a good dream....." Bismarck softly tells her
"I hope it was....."
"I'm sure it was....."

Bismarck laments to herself that everything she experienced is a hazy dream she wouldn't even remember the slightest. For Tirpitz, it's like a faint sense of deja Vu and her instincts longing for something nonexistent. It brings a lingering sense of sadness and longing she will never understand because it will be like a dream that both exists and is nonexistent because none of that part of her exists - completely erased along with her former thoughts.

It will still linger even after you start all over again......but I'll make sure it'll remain a beautiful faint dream.......

END

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 189 30
After a failed operation, Tirpitz could no longer live a normal life because Bismarck urged her to keep on fulfilling her duty, and this result in Ti...
1K 46 8
Book 1 of 3 The official report was that he was shot down over Zhytomyr, but that isn't the case. The main part of our story takes place in the far a...
59.7K 994 28
I am USS Long Beach, after being dismantled I was transported to another world and threatened with death by a goddess, so now I will cooperate with t...
6.3K 138 11
This story about a young boy got accidentally hit by a truck Kun but a God reincarnate him in azur lane as(Arpeggio Yamato)