Love through time

By fadeelahAS

Love that time-travelled 1986, Hamidah and Haroon fell in love in the ancient city of Zaria, but classism an... More

The Past
Kindled Love
By The Fault of Fate
Broken hearts 💔
The Present
The Ride
University
Internship
Lunch
Pursuit of Love
Nurtured love
The Emerald
The Walima
The Blue
Despair
Mended hearts 💕
Fighting for Love
End of the road
The Decision
Forever, Untill Forever More💞

Kano

19 2 1
By fadeelahAS

Jamil picked Zarah up for the airport. It was a 20-minute drive from Aston.

'I'm still exhausted and I'm going straight into another chaotic week. Nigerian weddings are not for the fainthearted.' Zarah said in a yawning voice. She was glad he'd come to take her because she was half sleepy. Jamil had helped put her bag in the trunk of his car and she was enjoying the heating coming from the vent of the Rover.

'Is a good thing I see myself as daring, I'll fit in perfectly' Jamil said with a smile
Zarah smiled back but inside she was terrified. Terrified for them and what would be. He had asked her if he could come along for her brother's wedding. She told him no several times and explained to him how their cultural norms were worlds apart.

When they got to the airport Zarah was asleep for the short ride. She woke up and noticed that Jamil was not parked at the drop-off.

'Ohh no why are you packed here.' she said a bit confused.

'Okay, don't be mad I did something, please don't be mad, just hear me out'
Zarah was apprehensive, what did he do?
'I changed your booking' he said
' why, my family is expecting me today' she said her eyes wide with worry.

'No no, I did not change the date, Zarah. You are still travelling, I upgraded the booking' 
He was searching her face for hints
'I just wanted you to be comfortable please don't be mad'
Zarah was too tired to be mad and maybe the upgrade was not a bad idea. She guessed he upgraded her to business class.
'Thank you' she said sincerely.
He followed her and led her to the fast-track check-in, and then she realized he had upgraded her to First-class, she turned to look at him. He stood at the side in his black padded jacket unassuming. When she was done, and about to leave for the lounge, they stood facing each other.
' thank you' she said. He shook his head indicating she shouldn't thank him.
'I'll see you in a week insha Allah' she said
' see you then ' he replied with a sad tone.
He brought out his phone as she turned away and sent her a text. Zarah had her phone in her hand and turned to look at him with adoration
He had texted her-
' I love you Zarah'
She held the phone to her chest walking backwards until Jamil was out of her sight.
and she whispered 'I love you to Jamil. I love you too'

****

Zarah got to the Abuja International Airport refreshed and rested. She thoroughly enjoyed her flight. The first-class pampering did wonders for her fatigue. She got her bags and tried to book a local flight to Kano, but it was impossible. She called her dad because it was getting late if he could help. Unfortunately in Nigeria, one has to pull stings to get things done. After waiting for long her dad called to tell her she would be staying at one of their relative's places in Abuja city. Zarah was gutted. She wanted to be in Kano that night.
Her dad informed her a car was coming to get her.
When she got a call from a Nigerian number should didn't recognize, she knew this was her ride to town. Her UK number was still active but not for long. She needed to recharge her Nigerian line. She quickly send Jamil a message-
'I've arrived I'll call you when I get home'

Zarah went out with her luggage to look for some person called Umar and found a guy in a white caftan, traditional Hausa cap (hula) he approached her and asked
'Are you Zarah'
' Yes' she answered
'I'm Umar for DanMaliki's house'
' thank you, for picking me up this late' Zarah said.
' No problem' he said
They walked to his car, it was a white Lexus, she had no idea what was the brand but it looked new, big and expensive. They drove in silence for the 30 minutes to Maitama. When they got to the house there were armed police men, saluting the car. It was a large Manson with chalets by the sides. There were various luxury cars packed in the drive way.
' this way' Umar said
'She followed him upstairs where he met with an older woman.
' inna mama (where is mama)'
' ta kwanta ( she's asleep)
'Kira Farida (call Farida)
Shortly after, a lady about the age of 19-2o came out
' settle her in please baba called me to pick her up from the airport' he turned to Zarah and said
' this is my sister Farida, she'll take care of you'
' thank you' Zarah said
Farida was kind, she put her up in her large room. Asked her if she wanted food
' No it's late, thanks'
Zarah laid down on the bed thinking of Jamil she had to call him. She missed him.

In the morning the DanMaliki family were courteous to Zarah. She was taken to their mum by Farida after the fajir prayers.
After breakfast, she met the dad and saw Umar again.
She was eager to get to kano. When Umar came up and said they got her a flight for 3 pm she was relieved.
At about 2 pm, she left for the airport, Umar was specifically asked to take her. It was a silent ride again, when they got to the airport he asked if she wanted him to come in or just drop her.
' thank you I'll be fine' Zarah said.
She got into the airport and the flight was delayed. Some passengers were screaming at the flight attendants. Zarah sat and watched she just prayed that the flight will go, because she had to be in Kano.

After 2 hours delay, they were finally in Kano. Her Dad's driver, who had been waiting for her for hours took her home.
She was glad to be home. She missed kano. It was mid November and the weather was cool, but dusty.
Everyone was already in the wedding mood. The house was full of activities. She also needed to go to the tailor for fittings of three of her dresses for each of the events of the wedding.
'Zarauuu' Zarah heard the scream and she knew it was her favorite cousin Hasiya

'Hasiya' both girls hugged and started laughing.
'Mu tafi mu tafi' Hasiya said
Zarah was curious what she wanted to leave quickly
'Why'
' ban sun Aunti ta gani, ayki' ( I don't want Aunti to see me, chore.
They were off in Hasiya's car.
Zarah told her she needed to activate her line, which they did. Next was to the tailors, then accessories. By the end of the day, Hasiya and Zarah were exhausted from going round Kano city.
When she finally settled to rest, she called Jamil. He picked up on the first ring.
'Salaam you, being waiting for your call'
' salaam Jamil, it took me a while to activate my line'
' I'm glad you got your mobile line working I was going nuts not being able to talk to you. How are your folks?

'They're all good, everyone's busy with the wedding preparations.'

' yah I can imagine, I'm just here, not much to do, Ahmed and Nadia left for Maldives, I just go to gym, work and home'

' don't over strain your ankle in the gym' Zarah said.
' yes Miss Zarah' Jamil said in a teasing voice.
'My dad is back and of course my mum has told him about you, I can't wait for you to meet him' Jamil said

' I'll be shy to meet him, you know, with your mum it was easy' Zarah was genuinely concerned about meeting his dad.

'Nahhh his easy going, you both will get to speak Hausa language, you'll see'

Deep into the night, Zarah said
' Jamil I have to get some sleep to be up for any activities'

'Okay I'll talk to you later'
The next day, Zarah and Hasiya continued their errands but this time around Zarah was half of the time in the phone or replying texts on her phone. They visited the brides house who is also their second cousin. There was a henna party and bridesmaids party. Zarah had to excuse herself couple of times to take Jamil's calls.
The next day was the main wedding she met her brother and her dad in her dads private seating area. They reflected on their mom. Her father said
'You have the responsibility to keep your wife happy always and love will come naturally. That was my story with your mom. Be kind and loving. Then love will flourish in your home'

Zarah listed to her dad. She had heard stories of how her mum were married young and how patient her dad was with the mum in their young days.
***
All events for the wedding were done, Zarah had two days to go back to Birmingham. She was on the phone with Jamil when Hasiya came in to her room. Hasiya had a serious face on, so Zarah told Jamil she'll call him back.

' you know I love you like my sister, so I'll advice you as so. I know you have something going on with someone. You and I both know how things are done here. I'm not judging you, but I have to tell you, I think a husband has been picked for you and I. My mum called me to tell me this morning.'

Zarah was already trembling
'Who?' She finally asked Hasiya
'Umar Danmaliki' Hasiya said
' for me they said Sadiq Turaki,'
Zarah was not thinking of Umar, she had just met him couple of days, they had no connection. She was thinking about Jamil.

' you have to save yourself and this guy the trouble and let go of him Zarah'
' what happened to our plan of not falling for anyone and waiting to see who they eventually come up with, then fall in love or work it out' Hasiya asked.

'I tried but love happened Hasiya. I couldn't stop myself" Zarah said in tears.
Hasiya hugs her and said
'it's our fate, we have known this for long aii'

Zarah never called Jamil back. She switched off her phone not wanting to receive calls for Jamil or may be Umar. She was sad and miserable. She got back to Birmingham two days later without informing Jamil. She told herself she lack the courage to see him again. Knowing well her family had pick a husband for her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 387 30
After the 24-year-old, content creator and influencer Muna Amadi was betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend, she decided to move to New York for a...
205K 18.3K 30
© 2017 All Rights Reserved Eighteen year old Hafsah gets admitted into her dream college to study psychology. There, she meets the arrogant and hand...
18.8K 1.5K 60
Dior and Amir cross paths over and over again. Sometimes love seems inevitable, sometimes it seems meant to be, and sometimes things are just suppose...
171K 18.9K 34
Meet Zarah,a 19 years old quiet nerdy girl who just got admitted into Bayero university kano to study medicine 😁 what happens when an encounter cha...