The Merman and the Princess...

By Adri-Pearl

"Sea and land may lie between us, but my heart is always there with you" ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••... More

Presenting
Chapter 1: The Deal With The Sea Witch
Chapter 2: The Boy On The Beach
Chapter 3: A secret revealed
Chapter 4: A day of lessons
Chapter 5: The general's estate
Chapter 6: Glowing shapes of the sea
Chapter 7: A knockout blow
Chapter 8: A coze with the Sea
Chapter 9: The vexatious queen
Chapter 10: The Boat and candlestick
Chapter 11: A fountain tells no lies
Chapter 12: The dashing soldier
Chapter 13: A sea of monsters
Chapter 14: Malcom's warning
Chapter 15: The Floating Lights
Chapter 16: The Court of Vipers
Chapter 17: Setting Sail
Chapter 18: The journey to Olympus
Chapter 19: The Banquet
Chapter 20: The cliffside
Chapter 21: Intricate silence
Chapter 22: Head and Heart
Chapter 23: Prince of Tides
Chapter 24: The dreaded interruption
Chapter 25: The Ball (part one)
Chapter 26: The Ball (Part Two)
Chapter 27: Glittering Jewels
Chapter 28: Politics and Problems
Chapter 29: Intoxication
Chapter 30: Utopian dreams
Chapter 32: Land and Sea
Chapter 33: The Prince's return
Chapter 34: Dawn of an age
Epilogue: One
Epilogue: Two

Chapter 31: The Truth

868 20 111
By Adri-Pearl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The weight of her mind was a burden the princess of Athens had learnt to carry herself. And recently, that burden had increased tenfold, as if she were carrying the weight of the sky on her shoulders.

From her aunt's court running her nation into ruin, a war looming over her head and peasant revolts uprising across the country, it was not an easy time for her.

She thought luck was finally on her side when she'd been blessed with a companion as wonderful as Percy. He'd been someone she could share the weight of her mind with, someone she trusted so Implicitly that she would walk through hell by his side.

But...It was harder to walk alone after she'd find someone she wanted by her side forever. She so desperately wanted to fix what went awry with them, to understand this abnormal drift.

Why could he not just tell her? Did he not trust her? Had she misinterpreted their relationship?

These thoughts were plaguing her heart, her kingdom's problems were weighing on her mind.

With no Percy around her help her centre herself, she chose a different method to occupy herself. She put on some training clothes she, and practiced her weaponry on the cliff by the sea.

She might not have all the answers, but atelast she had a way to expel her fustration.

No matter how violent the method was.

She practiced a few rounds of archery, shooting at some citrines which were nestled within a quite tall tree.

After which, she brought out a jousting sword, thrusting it towards a mound of air which she imagined was her aunt.

The princess of Athens was so lost in her movements in fact, she did not notice the son of the sea sneak up behind her.

He leaned against a tree, enthralled as he watched her practice and curse at the air. He even found a fruit on the grass and feasted on a few quietly.

It wasn't until Annabeth sat down on the grass, catching her breath that Percy appeared.

He clapped, looking quite amused as he approached her.

He seemed different, more relaxed than he had since they returned from Olympus. Was it the alcohol which loosened his disdain of her?

"Percy!" Annabeth gasped, "how long were you watching?"

The boy shrugged, smirking.

Would you like a partner? he signed, or does the wind satisfy you?

Annabeth fought back a smile, "I would love a partner."

Percy nodded. He gestured her to wait a while, before dashing off towards the fort. He returned a while later, a similar lance in his hand.

A grin spread across her face at his return. After spending so much time without him, she was desperate to return to their earlier rapport.

She was determined to apologise and mend their relationship. It was too much to bear knowing that they were not in a good place.

Would you like the first swing, milady? he asked.

Annabeth nodded, jumping up to her feet, "do not expect me to go easy on you."

I would never, the boy smiled, taking up a defensive stance.

Annabeth, true to her word, struck fast and true, catching the boy off guard.

He recovered quite quickly, however. And the pair were engaged in a rather long drawn out combat.

The princess huffed in concentration as her blade crashed against Percy's. For a novice, he was an exceptionally skilled swordsman.

However, the was one area the princess of Athens was unrivalled in. Strategy.

"I've told you before, you must withdraw faster. Or else you give your opponent a chance to strike," she explained, through a sharp exhalation of breath.

To further elaborate her point, and for self satisfaction, the princess disarmed him in one effective thrust.

It knocked the boy down to the ground, and Annabeth immediately snatched his weapon.

Any last words?" the princess mused, levelling her lance towards him.

Words? he signed, eyes sparkling with mischief

"Right," she said, flushed, embarrassed. Of course he wouldn't have any last words.

He tilted his chin towards her, giving her a sarcastic smirk.

It set her heart on fire, increasing its rhythm tenfold despite its already fast paced beating.

Gods how had she survived without that smile. It brightened her days.

"Perhaps I should cut out your heart as a reward instead," she joked, "the kingdom of Ares was famous for death matches."

Percy blinked his dazzling sea green eyes, the corners of his lips tilting higher into a lopsided grin.

Take it, it's already yours princess . He signed, leaning back a little more.

Annabeth could feel her face heating up as she dropped her practice sword to the ground, reduced to a speechless, swooning girl.

The sword clattered against the pavement, the only sound in the pregnant silence that enveloped the pair.

"So you do not mind me taking your heart?" Annabeth crooned, regaining her composure.

The boy shook his head. It already belongs to you, he motioned

"Hmmm," Annabeth breathed, her eyes never leaving Percy's as she got down to her knees beside him.

She learnt closer, placing a hand around his waist, trapping him between the ground and herself.

He gave her an innocent smile, setting her nerves on fire once more.
Percy raised his eyebrows, waiting for her next movement.

"So you say your heart is mine, Percy?" Annabeth said, her voice low.

Percy nodded, his eyes darkening a shade as she moved closer towards him, their bodies all but pressed together.

"Well then-,"she whispered, her voice thick with emotion as she brought her lips inches away from his, "-I'll need a way to access my prize."

As she felt the warmth of his breath, Annabeth pulled back at a rapid pace.

"I apologise, is this behaviour of mine making you uncomfortable?" she asked, jumping upwards and springing away from him as Percy's face morphed into confusion.

'What do you mean?' he signed.

Now Annabeth looked confused as well, watching him shuffle to his feet, "I mean...ever since our kiss aboard the ship, you've been avoiding me," she admitted, almost embarrassed.

"Yesterday as well, you did the same. You did not allow me to come closer to you, and...you've not been near me in weeks...I...I've missed you deeply," her voice caught on the last part.

A trickle of rain splashed atop her nose as Percy stared at her, his eyes betraying guilt.

'I apologise, my princess,' he signed, taking a step closer to her. Rain scattered across them, cascading across the sky as the pair lost themselves in each other's eyes.

"I...I need to know what I did. I need to understand, I hate not understanding," she sighed, watching him take another step forward towards her.

'I promise you, I will tell you everything you desire to know. I will lay every secret I have at your feet,' he signed, now moving without hesitation.

He paused before Annabeth, rain pouring faster. It tricked down her spine, spreading across her fabric of her thin linen. Percy didn't seem bothered.

"The world may be against me but I need you by my side," she reached out to cup his cheek, holding it as if she was afraid he'd disappear into the clouds.

Lighting clapped across the sky, followed by a roar of thunder yet they did not move away. Neither flinched either, safe in each other's touch.

'You have me,' he signed, tracing a drop of water which traveled along her cheek, stopping at the tip of her lip.

"How do I know that to be true? You seem to want nothing to do with me," she whispered, eyelids fluttering shut at his touch, his fingers tracing along her lips.

Wordlessly, Percy leaned into kiss her. He could taste the rain on her lips as he cupped her waist, pulling her flush into him.

It was slow at first, it began as an apology. It was a penance for her trust, begging for her forgiveness, promising her his heart.

Only when Percy noticed the light shiver in Annabeth's shoulders did he think to move apart.
He held her arms gently as he noted her drenched figure.

'Let us go to my chambers.I promise I will tell you everything,' he motioned tenderly, rubbing her arms to hopefully warm her rain soaked skin.

Annabeth nodded, allowing him to steer her as they moved towards the palace.

The princess of Athen's blinked in surprise as a certain realisation struck her. She might have felt a little headed from their kiss, but she was no fool. She was trained to observe from an early age.

The boy who held her had not a drop of water on him.

She felt warmer as well, walking by his side with his arm at the small of her back.

When they arrived at his chambers, she was completely dry.

Annabeth's mind raced with confusion. What sorcery was this? She was most certainly hallucinating.

She turned to Percy, who had a somewhat shy smile on his lips. The question passed through then wordlessly. He kissed her temple.

'Let me fetch you a coat. You must still be cold,' he signed, retreating deeper into his room.

As Percy searched for a coat, Annabeth thought to explore. His chambers were relatively small, she would have to remember to move him into a bigger room.

There was not much decoration either, just a simple table at a corner with a few trinkets he had collected alongside Annabeth.

Annabeth traced her fingers across a particular shell she'd never seen before. It was a stunning red colour, bright against the wooden desk.

Annabeth picked it up, examining the item as she awaited Percy's return. Her head still buzzed with emotion, swirling around live mighty waves.

She placed the shell against her ear, hoping for the sound of the sea to calm her mind.

Instead, she heard a voice within.

"Brother?! Brother is that you?! I don't know what to do! The war!" the voice shouted, the shell quivering with the sound.

Annabeth gasped, stepping back as she dropped the shell on the floor. It clattered on the floor, ringing across the room.

The world spun in a haze for Annabeth as everything made sense. The water, the glowing, the missing sea prince....it was all in front of her. And she had not thought to realise.

The princess of Athens spun around to face the son of the sea as he appeared before her, holding a coat.

"Percy...Percy...prince Percy...you're prince Percy," she whispered, her breath catching in her throat.

Percy nodded grimly, moving towards her.

She thought he would reach out, hold her. But he did not. Instead, he got on his knees and took his hand in hers. She did not pull away.

'I never meant to keep this from you. I had every intention of telling you today. I might be the son of the sea but you are my home, you are the only queen I will bow to. Since the moment I laid eyes on you, you were the only thought I had. I've dreamt of you every night, and prayed for you everyday' he began signing.

Annabeth took a deep breath, another realisation sinking in, "You...you saved me. All those moons ago...I was not dreaming, it was you."

Percy nodded, 'I was. And ever since that day, I knew I had to find you again. I...I..traded my tail for legs, I lost my voice in the process."

"For me?" Annabeth whispered, her voice lost in her own breath. She moved down, sitting on the floor beside him, "You did all that...for me."

'I would do anything for you...please, princess, believe me. I...I would leave now and never return if that is what you desire. I will do anything to earn your forgiveness,' he expressed.

"Percy..." Annabeth reached out to cup his face.

Before the next words left her mouth, a large bell's echo and screams erupted all around. The bell's rang mixed into a hundred bells, ringing across the kingdom as a symbol of foreboding danger.

It wasn't until a trumpet sounded amongst clanging bells that the final nail in the coffin.

"Princess! Those ocean bastards have waged war! The general is looking for you," a squire burst through the door to relay the information.

Percy and Annabeth were on their feet in a flash, sprinting off towards impending doom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merry late Christmas to anyone who celebrates!! I hope y'all got loads of presents!!

Soooo less than five chapters left for the story to end! What did y'all think of this one?

(Posted 26/12/23- 11:01pm)

Stay tuned!!!
—S

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 206 9
"Woah. Calm your tits, big man." "(M/n), please, just shut up." Follow (M/n) on his journey through the Percy Jackson unive...
251K 5.6K 32
Ever since the death of her father, Annabeth Chase has been stuck living with her cruel step mother and two step brothers. At school she's invisible...
70.6K 1.4K 26
Discontinued - Sorry, loves. Annabeth Chase grew up chasing the dream that she would be happy forever, without a single issue or argument or broken h...
111K 2.6K 33
"I stood on the tip of my toes to catch a glimpse of his jet black hair through the ever-growing maze of people. He didn't look back as tears rolled...