The Life And Adventures of Iv...

By December_Jones

COMPLETED Ivykit, the daughter of a traitor and adopted by her cruel aunt, is determined to prove herself. Fo... More

Prologue
STAGE ONE - KIT
Chapter 1 - Moon 2
Chapter 2 - Moon 2
Chapter 3 - Moon 3
Chapter 4 - Moon 4
Chapter 5 - Moon 4
Chapter 6 - Moon 5
STAGE TWO - APPRENTICE
Chapter 7 - Moon 5
Chapter 8 - Moon 6
Chapter 9 - Moon 6
Chapter 10 - Moon 7
Chapter 11 - Moon 7
Chapter 12 - Moon 8
Chapter 13 - Moon 8
Chapter 14 - Moon 9
Chapter 15 - Moon 10
Chapter 16 - Moon 10
Chapter 17 - Moon 11
Chapter 18 - Moon 11
STAGE THREE - WARRIOR
Chapter 19, Moon 12
Chapter 20, Moon 12
Chapter 21, Moon 12
Chapter 23 - Moon 14
Chapter 24 - Moon 14
Chapter 25 - Moon 15
Chapter 26 - Moon 15
STAGE FOUR - MENTOR
Chapter 27 - Moon 16
Chapter 28 - Moon 16
Chapter 29 - Moon 17
Chapter 30 - Moon 17
THE CLAN OF FALLING ROCK
Chapter 31 - Moon 17
Chapter 32 - Moon 18
Chapter 33 - Moon 18
Chapter 34 - Moon 19
Chapter 35 - Moon 19
Chapter 36 - Moon 19
Chapter 37 - Moon 20
Chapter 38 - Moon 20
Chapter 39 - Moon 21
Chapter 40 - Moon 21
STAGE FIVE - THE END
Author's note
THE CLAN OF RISING STAR
CLAN OF SWAYING GRASS
CLAN OF FALLING ROCK
CLAN OF TALL TREES
FAN ART
Fanart (2)

Chapter 22 - Moon 13

175 27 118
By December_Jones

Ivyshadow woke up early, one thought springing to the forefront of her mind. Today was the day she should go find her mother. She'd waited long enough, unconsciously avoiding it. What was Willowbranch like?

She stretched, shook off the loose moss, and crept out of the den. Thankfully Pebbleclaw was still asleep, so she wouldn't feel pressured to join dawn patrol. Ivyshadow slipped through the entrance, shivering slightly from the cold air.

The trees were beginning to look bare, and the leaves were edged with frost. Ivyshadow missed the vibrant green of summer, but the forest still had a fresh, cool beauty about it. She took her time picking her way through the bushy undergrowth, breathing in the scents of prey and pinecones.

The sun had risen by the time she made it to the Falling Rock border, beginning to head alongside it towards the twolegplace.

Ivyshadow came to a sudden stop when voices reached her ears, and she crouched down. I really have to learn to stop eavesdropping, Ivyshadow thought, but crept forward all the same. She peeked over a log and to her surprise she recognized Violetfang.

Ivyshadow ducked down again, heart thumping. What was Violetfang doing near the Falling Rock border? Ivyshadow pricked her ears, but she couldn't hear the conversation from where she was crouched. What was Viotletfang up to?

Ivyshadow barely dared to poke her eyes up again. Violetfang was in close conversation with yet a different Falling Rock warrior, one Ivyshadow didn't recognize. Violetfang appeared to be on edge, her ears pricked for any sign of danger.

Before Ivyshadow could recognize that her sister's head was turning, Violetfang's violet eyes locked on Ivyshadow's blue ones. Ivyshadow got to her feet, her instincts screaming at her to run, but her fear keeping them planted.

Violetfang leapt easily onto the log, her expression murderous. "You followed me." She hissed.

"I-I didn't," Ivyshadow cursed her shaking meow, "I wasn't following you!"

"Oh?" Violetfang's claws slid out, "you just happened to run into me?"

Ivyshadow took a shaking step backwards, "Yes! I didn't follow you!" Her voice came out shaker than she'd intended. "I was going to the twolegplace!"

"Liar," her sister took a step closer, "why would I believe you?"

Ivyshadow's mind whirled for an excuse, but she couldn't help blurring out the truth as Violetfang's claws pressed down on her paw. "M-my mother!"

Violetfang didn't even seem to register her confession, "You'll pay for this." her nose was almost touching Ivyshadow's, "but not now." Her sister stepped back all of sudden.

Ivyshadow took in a gulp of air, stumbling backwards. Not now? The Falling Rock cat Violetfang had been meeting with took a few steps backwards before bolting back into his territory.

"I could fight you, right here. I could kill you." Violetfang's tone was casual, as if discussing the weather, "but I won't. Killing you would be a mercy I cannot afford." The she-cat was pacing back and forth now, her violet eyes fixed on Ivyshadow, "everything is your fault, you see? Every horrible thing that has ever happened to me was because of you."

Ivyshadow took another step backwards. Violetfang was crazy. How had she not come to that simple conclusion before? Violetfang had never felt any feelings of love or joy in her entire life, she'd never had a conscience. She was insane.

"Isn't that funny? I can't think of a single thing that wasn't your fault," Violetfang's head snapped back to Ivyshadow, the anger flaring again. "So you must pay. I will break you, my dear sister."

Violetfang's claws slid out again, and this time Ivyshadow didn't wait for the verdict. She turned tail and ran back the way she'd come, running until her legs were sore. It took her a while to realize Violetfang wasn't chasing her, and Ivyshadow collapsed into a clearing.

Her legs shook, and she involuntarily began to sob. Ivyshadow had no idea what her sister planned for her, but Whatever she imagined she was sure Violetfang's sick mind could imagine worse.

Ivyshadow yearned for someone she could confide in, someone she could trust. I want my mother. For the first time, memories of warm milk and a comforting purr drifted into her mind, the thoughts not tangible enough grab onto. Ivyshadow took a deep, shuddering breath and pulled herself to her feet. She would not let Violetfang win. She would not lay down and cry while Violetfang ruined her.

Ivyshadow shook her head, forcing any thoughts of her sister out. Today was the day she got to meet her mother.

Ivyshadow was just about to turn to head back towards the twolegplace when she heard voices drifting through the trees. Fear gripped her again, but released as soon as she recognized Birchpaw's voice. Ivyshadow quickly attempted to comb down her fur and blinked her eyes rapidly to clear them of any emotion.

"Ivyshadow!" Birchpaw stepped into the clearing, his mew pleasantly surprised.

Ivyshadow looked up, giving him her best fake smile. "Birchpaw! What brings you here?"

Runningmouse padded up behind him as Birchpaw replied, "It's BirchTAIL now." He puffed up proudly.

Ivyshadow gave a half-hearted laugh, already trying to get out of the conversation. Any guilt she felt for not being excited for her friend was overshadowed by her need to meet her mother.

"Dreamwalker took me to the Moonstone last night," Birchtail rolled his eyes, "It's just like him, creeping around randomly."

"Ivyshadow," Runningmouse took a step closer, "are you okay?"

Ivyshadow waivered. Part of her wanted to tell them everything. No - all of her. So why didn't she? What was she so afraid of? "I'm feeling a little sick," she lied.

"Hey, you two should go hunting!" Birchpaw -no, Birchtail- meowed.

"Ah, no, it's okay," Ivyshadow said quickly, "I wouldn't want to interrupt whatever you two were doing."

"Don't be ridiculous! All Runningmouse is doing us moping about Daypaw being sick. Finding catmint is a one-cat job." Birchtail was seemingly clueless towards Ivyshadow's emotions.

"I-I..." Ivyshadow didn't know how to argue.

"It would be nice," Runningmouse meowed, "If you wouldn't mind, that is." he looked at her so shyly and nonforcingly, Ivyshadow found herself nodding in agreement.

"Then it's a deal." Birchtail declared, "And Runningmouse - please try not to worry about Daypaw. It makes my job so much harder."

Runningmouse rolled his eyes, "just tell me the second he gets better or worse and I'll leave you alone."

Birchtail padded away, looking happy to finally catch some peace from Runningmouse's worrying. As soon as he was out of sight, Runningmouse turned to her. "So... are you okay?"

"How did you know?" The words came before Ivyshadow could think to take them back.

Runningmouse smiled, cocking his head, "I'm a smart cat."

Ivyshadow found herself smiling faintly back at him. Could he tell him everything? She settled for a half truth. "I'm going to find my mother."

"When do we leave?" Runningmouse answered without hesitation.

Ivyshadow blinked. "We?"

"I'm not letting you go on your own," Runningmouse declared.

"Fine, I'll let you come." Relief swept through her as soon as the words left her tongue. She wasn't alone.

Runningmouse grinned, "you ready to go to the twolegplace then?"

Ivyshadow smiled in return, "ready as I'll ever be."

○○○

They thankfully didn't run into Violetfang on the way there, and Ivyshadow's mood changed from terrified to a nervous excitement.

"Do you know where she is?" Runningmouse asked as they approached a tall white fence.

Ivyshadow shook her head ruefully. "I've never even seen the twolegplace." She eyed the tall, overly white wood suspiciously.

"Same," Runningmouse admitted. His dark brown eyes scanned the endless row of houses. "I guess we'll just try the first one."

Ivyshadow tensed her muscles then sprung up onto the fence, balancing easily. the yard on the other side was empty. They passed four yards, dodging a yapping dog on the third one, until they finally spotted a cat lounging on a chair.

Ivyshadow leapt down onto the grass, Runningmouse at her heels. "Um, excuse me?"

"Wha.. who ar'you..." the fat cat's eyelids drifted apart from sleep, then flew the rest of the way open when he saw them. "AH AH FOREST CATS!"

Runningmouse rolled his eyes, "we won't eat you, kittypet."

Ivyshadow pressed forward, "do you know a cat named Willowbranch?"

The fat kittypet fluffed up his pelt, attempting to regain some of his lost dignity, "that sounds like a forest cat name. I don't know any forest cats."

"She used to be a forest cat, but she's a kittypet now," Ivyshadow frowned, "at least I think so."

The fat kittypet began to groom his paw, unconcerned. "I don't know her."

"Well," Runningmouse's voice sounded like he was talking to a kit, "Can you point us to somebody who does?"

The fat kittypet sighed, "over there. Five houses down, a cat named Sunny. If your cat lives here, she will know."

"Thank you," Runningmouse gave a respectful nod.

Ivyshadow turned away without thanking the annoying tom, leaping back onto the white fence. Her nerves jumbled around in her stomach with every perfectly manicured lawn she passed. Thoughts and memories of her mother mixed together, and Ivyshadow couldn't tell what was real or imagined.

Thankfully, the cat named Sunny was out on her porch. She was an old, weathered cat, but her eyes looked up sharply as they approached. Ivyshadow wasn't sure why her name was Sunny; the cat looked the opposite of cheerful. She had a grey-black-brown mottled pelt and deep amber eyes.

"Excuse me, do you know a cat named Willowbranch?" Ivyshadow asked, trying her best to keep her voice polite.

"And who are you?" The cat snapped suspiciously.

"I'm Ivyshadow, Willowbranch's daughter."

"And I'm Runningmouse." Runningmouse added.

"Just how many daughters does that she-cat have? Is she planning on having a reunion?"

Ivyshadow and Runningmouse exchanged a look. Did Ivyshadow have a sister?

"Did another cat come before me?" Ivyshadow allowed herself to get excited at the prospect. She'd always considered Snowfall and Violetfang as her sisters, never considering she might have real siblings.

"Yes. Another forest cat, claiming to be Branch's daughter. Violettooth or something."

Ivyshadow's blood ran cold. "Violetfang."

Runningmouse frowned in confusion, "Why would Violetfang pretend to be Willowbranch's daughter?"

"No idea." Sunny answered shortly, "her house is a couple blocks away, but she's probably not there. I would guess she's at the park."

"Where's the park?" Ivyshadow asked, new urgency in her voice.

○○○

It took them nearly 15 minutes to find the park, Ivyshadow's anxiety rising with every step. What would Violetfang do to her mother? Runningmouse ran beside her, confused but not asking questions.

The park was a large field of unnaturally green grass with a few oak trees scattered. Ivyshadow would have been interested in her surroundings normally, but her blue eyes scanned the park frantically.

"Ivyshadow!" Runningmouse called from behind her and she spun around.

Ivyshadow's heart pounded as she raced towards the sound of Runningmouse's voice. Dread settled in her stomach, fearing what they might discover behind the bush. As they approached, the once vibrant blue sky seemed to darken, mirroring Ivyshadow's escalating fear.

Ivyshadow froze, her body locking. Behind the shrub, a cat lay in the unnatural green of the grass. Green was was trained with red. A drop of rain hit the cat's flank, mixing with the blood. Willowbranch was dead. Ivyshadow knew who'd killed her. The way she'd died, the bite - it was a simple hunting tactic all Tall Trees apprentices learned at a young age. Willowbranch looked healthy and plump, the blood running in rivets down her grey tabby flank. She looked so much like Riverflower, but even more so like Ivyshadow herself. Her lifeless eyes mirrored Ivyshadow's own vibrant blue ones. "Violetfang." Ivyshadow collapsed to her knees. She would never meet her mother. She would never feel a mother's love.

Ivyshadow felt Runningmouse's rough tongue on her ear. "Hey, hey she's with the Clan Of Rising Star now."

"Violetfang killed her." Ivyshadow remembered her sister's words 'I will break you.' Willowbranch's death was Ivyshadow's fault. Her vision swirled with tears, the blood was all she could see. "I killed her."

"Ivyshadow." Runningmouse stepped in front of Willowbranch's body, blocking her view, "Ivyshadow, It's not your fault. I don't know why Violetfang would do this, but it's not your fault. Ivyshadow, look at me."

With a huge effort she lifted her eyes to meet his dark brown ones. "She did this to hurt me." Her voice came out as a whisper.

"So don't let her win," Runningmouse meowed, "we have to tell Acornstar."

"If I tell Acornstar, who else will she kill?" Ivyshadow met his eyes, fear in her meow.

"Ill protect you." he said simply. "You aren't alone."

This is Willowbranch, formerly a loner but now resides with the Clan of Rising Star. She is Riverflower's sister and the mother to Ivyshadow.

❤️Don't forget to vote or comment if you like the chapter! Thanks, I love you all!! 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 235 45
Moonsky, a Squirrelclan warrior, gets incredibly mad when her best friend Pebbleclaw becomes leader and doesn't choose her to be deputy. Moonsky runs...
9.6K 261 54
Horsekit has a great reputation. Her mother, Cinderstripe, saved the clan from the Twolegs. You'd be respected too, right? Until she became mute and...
3.6K 222 37
A Warriors fanfiction that revolves around the lives of four young cats as they face all the obstacles brought before them in their world of the Clan...
20.6K 742 35
"A different path, a different future. Turn back the time to light the way. Hope remains for redemption." ThunderClan is no more. Bluestar is dead, a...