The Arcane

By IbelieveIicanfly

A girl and her rival must work together to solve a murder mystery and protect their school. More

CHARACTERS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22

14

46 0 0
By IbelieveIicanfly

Nyx's pov

The bustling of busy people on the streets sounded around us as we made our way to the public library.

The bell above the door dinged signaling our entrance.

"It's actually nice in here for a public library." he gave an approving nod as he looked around the library.

"Have you never been in here before?" I questioned incredulously.

"I have my own library in my house. Why would I come here."

"Right of course." I rolled my eyes.

He began walking to the restricted area of the library.

"Hey," I called shushedly as I looked around the library. "We're not supposed to be here." I followed him cautiously.

He smirked and jingled some keys on his hand before putting it into the lock.

"How did you get those?" I whisper shouted, looking around the library so we won't get caught.

"Why did you think this section is restricted Sinclair?" He turned the key in the lock and winked at me.

I babbled foolishly searching for an answer.

He smirked and pushed the door open.

"I'll never doubt you again." I laughed lightly and followed him in.

He chuckled and closed the door. "No prying ears or eyes here."

"Great." I immediately sat at the desk and put the card into the laptop.

He stood behind me as he watched, placing his arm on the back of my chair.

The smell of his cologne wafted into my nose making me lose focus for a bit.

He smells great.

I shook my head lightly and turned it on. 

As I did I was met with a lot of files popping onto the screen.

My eyes darted around the screen as I looked for the most important.

I hovered the mouse over a file named. 'Ginny's vlog #1'

I looked at Adonis before clicking on the file.

The video started with Ginny in the video frame.

She stood in a dark corridor of the school.

A deep breath sounded from her parted lips before speaking in a shaky voice.

"This school is not what it seems, and I'm here to prove it to you. This is Ginny's vlog number 1. Date, March 8th. Time, 9:52."

The camera then pointed to two men who stood in an opposite hallway. Ginny hid behind the wall while recording.

The conversation between the two men where indistinct but a few words were made out.

I raised the volume to the highest and Adonis brought his face closer to hear better.

"My son...the best...money...deal...Professor...eliminate obstacles..." Their voices grew more vague as the headed into a nearby office.

A flashlight shone against the wall and the vlog ended.

My brows furrowed. "She..she's been going against the school."

I turned to Adonis. "Do you..do you think that's the reason for her death."

He stared at me for a second, as if pondering before uttering. "Well shit."

We both stared at the computer screen.

"Hey, Sinclair, maybe," he hesitated a moment before continuing, "Maybe we shouldn't do this."

He scratched at his head.

"Wait what? Why?"

"Come on Sinclair what do you mean why, you've seen what happened with Ginny."

"Which is why we should expose them and-"

"Which is why we should do nothing." He interrupted me with a sigh. "Look you don't know what you're going up against." He passed a hand through his hair. "The school its..its powerful. You don't stand a chance. If they found out God knows what will happen to you, to us. My dad will kill me, not if the school does it first." He mumbled the last part as he paced around the room.

I could tell he was bothered and if Adonis was that bothered then something may have been really wrong.

"Okay," I breathed out. "Okay we'll..we'll stop."

He nodded as he passed his hand through his hair once more.

I grabbed all my stuff and put it in my bag.

We left the library and walked along the streets, the cool air brushing against our skin.

"Hey," I turned to him. "you hungry?"

"Starved," he smiled lightly. "Have a place in mind?"

I grinned widely. "I do."

___

I took him back to my mom's cafe.

I smiled brightly as I stared at the shop.

Oh how I missed this place.

The familiar sound of the bell rang throw the room.

I smiled widely as I saw my mom wiping down counters.

"Welcome to-" she stopped herself as she looked at me. Disbelief written all over her face.

"Nyxie, is it you?" tears welled in her eyes as she cautiously approached me, but she refused to let them fall.

I grinned as I felt my own eyes start to water. "It's me mom."

She dropped the cloth in her hands as she ran to me and gave me a big hug. "Oh my sweetie I missed you." She smiled as she cupped my face.

"I missed you too mom." I chuckled as I caressed her arms.

Her soft hands caressed my face and wiping away my tears. "You're too pretty to cry."

I laughed. "The same goes to you." I wiped a stray tear.

"I'm not crying, a bug flew into my eye." she let go of me and pretend to tend to her eyes.

I laughed loudly. "Sure."

Her eyes darted to the boy beside me. She glanced at me and back to him. "Who's this?" she whispered indiscreetly.

"This is my uh, my friend from school."

She nodded and quickly wiped her hand on her apron. "I'm Nyx's mother." she put her hand out to him.

He took her hand in his and shook it. "My name is Adonis, ma'am."

I looked at him funny but said nothing. Since when did he have manners.

"Oh, don't just stand there, have a seat." she said before scurrying to close the cafe.

"Oh, you don't have to-" I began but she cut me off.

"Don't be silly, of course I do."

She ran to the kitchen.

I laughed lightly and sat down at a booth with Adonis.

"Well, that's my mom." I chuckled.

He smiled lightly as he picked at his nails. "She seems nice."

"She is."

"Mom, did you see my blue tie? I have a meeting tomorrow."

I grinned as I saw him. Zane in all his glory descending the stairs.

"Hey dumbass." I called.

"You're the dumbass." he mumbled as he walked to the kitchen.

He stopped himself at the double doors. "Wait,"

He spun around slowly and gasped dramatically. "Little sis." He ran towards me.

I rolled my eyes but accepted his hug anyways.

He laughed lightly. "Haven't seen you in a while." he chuckled.

I grinned and made space for him to sit. "This is my brother." I told Adonis.

"The better looking of course." He said smug as he flipped his hair dramatically.

"I beg to differ." Adonis winked as he said that.

Zane's draw dropped and he crossed his arms. "Now, I don't like you. Leave."

I scoffed and shoved him lightly. "Don't listen to him."

He laughed lightly and put his hand out to Adonis. "I'm Zane."

"Adonis." he greeted back.

Mom returned with two huge plates of various foods. Pastries and cakes.

"I don't know what you like so I just brought everything." she told Adonis as she sat them down on the table. "Zane go get the other two."

He got up and returned with two more full platters of food before sitting down.

"My eyes widened. "Mom." I laughed.

"What? Got to make sure my baby is full and her guest." she winked.

"Thank you Ms. Sinclair." he smiled.

"Oh, please just call me Emma." she smiled and sat down with us.

"You're lucky Adonis. Mom is the best cook ever." Zane grinned.

"Dig in."

___

"Thank you again Emma."

"No thank you." mom smiled as she held hands with Adonis. "Take care of her for me."

"I will." he smiled at her.

I approached them with my stuff. "Bye mom and Zane."

I hugged them. 

"Bye sweetie."

We began to walk away from the cafe as they stood by the door waving us.

"I like your family." Adonis spoke breaking the silence.

"Yeah, they're the best." I chuckled.

"Thank you." he smiled at me. "That was the best meal I've had in a while."

"Oh no it isn't. I'm sure you've ate all kinds of high-grade dishes." I bumped his shoulder playfully.

He laughed lightly. "I had but it doesn't compare to this. All my meals have been prepared by some chef I don't even know. This meal..this was made with love, it has a touch of home." he smiled lightly. "Haven't tasted that in a while."

"Well, what about your mom?" His smile faltered slightly at my question.

"She uh, she's dead." he kicked at the ground.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's fine," he smiled, "She died when I was five and well my dad isn't the best person, neither is my stepmom. She doesn't really like me." He took a deep breath. "It feels more like hell than home."

"Well, you know where I live. Whenever it gets too much for you, you're always welcome. They love you anyway." I smiled at him.

"Thanks Sinclair." he smiled back.

"Here comes the car."

We got in and began our drive back to school.

...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163 0 39
Dark academia enemies to lovers. Plot twists and mystery. Told from the perspective of the three main characters.
3K 1K 26
Four students, each with their own secrets, find themselves brought together by chance. Gideon, Sandra, Jayden, and Victoria may not be friends, but...
5.4K 541 36
The one who has eyes on her. The one who is hiding from him. The one who needs her. The one who lusts her. The one who cares for him. The one who pro...
7.7K 244 82
Burvington Preparatory Academy of Excellence. Home of the "Burlie" Boys. The richest , said to be strongest and some of the most genius minds in all...