Unrented Affinity

By TobiJaurello

Being the daughter of a rags to riches businessman, Camila did not expect that her once peaceful life would s... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter VI
Chapter VII

Chapter V

330 16 25
By TobiJaurello

"Now, now. Don't look at me like that, Lo." Camila frowned, while the raven continued to huff.

"Loooo." Camila pouted once more, this time adding a cute baby voice.

"I'll only forgive you if you start doing your Psychological Statistics paper." Lauren said, while Camila lets out a grin, followed by a nod.

"Okay. Do I get a kiss though?"

"Just one on the forehead." Lauren responded.

"I'm fine with that." Camila smiled, before Lauren chuckled and placed a kiss on her forehead.

Never in a million years did Camila think that she'd come to a point where she was confused with her sexuality. She was certain she liked guys, but Lauren? Lauren made her question herself. She finds other girls pretty and appreciates their beauty, but her feelings towards Lauren was different.

It was like everything the raven did make her heart skip beats. The things she feels with the raven was incomparable. Her exes couldn'at ever stand up to Lauren even if they tried. Lauren had set the standard for her—or perhaps it was because Lauren was following the requirements she wrote on the Rent-A-Lover website. And this thought made Camila feel sad.

"What'll happen after the contract ends?" Camila thought to herself as she looked at Lauren.

"Keep your eyes on your laptop." Lauren said, although she wasn't looking at Camila directly.

"You're not the boss of me." Camila stuck her tongue out.

"I'm well aware that it's the other way around, Ms. Cabello."

Lost in their own worlds, both women did not realize there were figures watching them from the fence.

"Who is she?" Sinuhe asks

"That's Lauren, Mami." Sofi smiles proudly, before turning to Alejandro.

"You okay, Dad?" Sofia asked, seeing her father watch the two from a distance.

"Yes, mija. I'm just checking on Kaki." Alejandro assured the youngest Cabello.

"I told you, Lauren makes Kaki happy. Lauren brought Kaki back." Sofia smiled.

"Hmm, given your variables...you should be using One Way-ANOVA here, Camz." Lauren said as she looked at the screen of Camila's laptop, gently hovering above the younger one.

Camila bit her lip, Lauren's scent occupying her nose and mind. Since then, Lauren's presence have brought her nothing but calmness. It felt natural. The same kind of natural where endearments and lover treatments made her feel giddy and extremely happy. She didn't know why, but Lauren had that effect on her.

She wanted to just stay with her, be close to her, talk to her, listen to her voice, laugh at her cheesy jokes. She wants to be held by her, kissed by her, be beside her. Being with Lauren made Camila feel safe, as if nothing in the world could hurt her.

"Camz." Lauren's chuckle took her back to reality, making the brunette blush in embarrassment.

"This isn't a T-square test?" Camila asked, to which Lauren only chuckled once more.

"You're cute. I'll get you something to eat." Lauren comments, before leaning down and kissing the top of Camila's head, following a gentle pat on the same spot.

"O-okay." Camila stuttered, mentally face palming herself.

"Should we enter the premises? We look like creeps here, Alejandro." Sinuhe said.

"Let's wait for her girlfriend to return beside her before entering." Alejandro said.

Once Lauren did return, she was holding a tray of snacks for the brunette. Camila even stood up to help the raven, the two of them arguing over who gets to bring the tray to the table.

"No. Sit back and relax, Mi amor. I got this." Lauren chuckled, while Camila frowned.

"But I'll wash these after." Camila said.

"Not a chance." Lauren grins.

"Watch me, Jauregui." Camila challenged.

"S-"

"What if I wash the dishes, so the two of you won't fight over it?" Sinuhe chimed in, entering the premises and taking both girls in surprise.

"Mom!" Camila smiled as her eyes landed on the woman.

"Mija." Sinuhe greeted back, before Alejandro and Sofia walked inside as well.

"Dad, Sofi. You're back early?" Camila smiles once more.

"Yes. Sofi was more excited to see you than enjoy Disneyland." Sinuhe chuckles.

Alejandro lets out a smile, while Sofia quickly ran to her sister with the most adorable smile, making sure to give Camila the biggest hug.

"Hi, Lolo." Sofia smiled, greeting Lauren—who gave her a smile and a little wave.

"Hi, Sofi. How have you been?" Lauren smiled, before Sofia moved from Camila's hold and onto Lauren's.

"I'm good, I missed you and Kaki."

"We missed you too, but Kaki missed you so much. She was even crying when you le-Hey!"

Lauren lets out a light-hearted chuckle as Camila basically smacked her in the arm, the glare in her eyes warning her.

"Ah. You must be Lauren." Sinuhe smiled.

"You're Camila's girlfriend, aren't you?" Alejandro said—trying to threaten the raven.

"Dad." Camila warned. Alejandro watched as Lauren gently nudged Camila, before saying something—something that made Camila nod and smile a little.

"Yes Ma'am, Sir. Good afternoon." Lauren nodded politely.

"Let's talk, somewhere private." Alejandro said before he turned around.

"Dad." Camila spoke up once more, brows furrowed as she looked at her father. Alejandro did not budge, but when he heard Lauren spoke up, he subtly turned to watch the interaction.

"Camz." Lauren called, making Camila turn to her with the same gaze and almost immediately, Camila softens and sighed.

"Relax. Okay?" Lauren smiles.

"But..."

"Do you not trust me?" Lauren asks.

Camila bit her lip before she closed her eyes and breathed out.

"I do trust you." Camila whispers, although the look in her eyes gave away that she was nervous.

"Why don't we get acquainted with each other properly, no need for those private talks." Sinuhe said, before she looked at Camila with a wink.

"We will, once Lauren and I are done." Alejandro said before he started to walk towards a certain distance, Lauren following him behind.

"Relax, mija. He knows her name, so it's a good start." Sinuhe smiles.

"Lolo's really nice, Mom. She was the one who helped me last time when I was on video call with Kaki." Sofia smiled.

As Sofia told her mother about Lauren, Camila was more focused on the two talking from a distance. She couldn't see Lauren's face at all, but she could clearly see her father's expressions.

"Lauren. I will be frank and honest right now. I'm skeptical of you. I don't know how the two of you met, or how Camila fell for you. But I am not into the idea of Camila dating again after her last relationship messed her up." Alejandro said.

"I understand where you're coming from, Sir. You can be direct with me. I'd rather face brutal honesty than thread on eggshells around you, Sir." Lauren replied honestly.

Alejandro was somehow taken aback by the politeness.

"Don't you think brutal is quite a strong word? I'm not that mean, you know?" Alejandro asked.

"It was the only word I can think of, I'm sorry." Lauren chuckled softly.

"But I mean it when I said I get where you're coming from, Sir. As Camila's father, it's only proper that you have reservations about your daughter's current relationship partner. I deeply understand it. And as someone who loves your daughter, it's also my duty to prove to you that I mean no harm." Lauren said.

"I understand that her past relationship had turned her into a different person than she is right now, and you're scared I might bring that back." Lauren acknowledged.

"So, you're aware?" Alejandro asked, referring to gap between them.

"I have been made aware by Camila." Lauren said.

"That kid." Alejandro sighs.

"Some things should be kept private, you know?" Alejandro shook his head.

"I agree, Sir. But please understand where Camila's coming from as well." Lauren smiles.

"Although at times, I'd tell her to understand your side and there's a few disagreements on the road...but nothing a good talk and understanding couldn't fix." Lauren chuckled.

"You understand my reasons based on her stories alone?" Alejandro asked.

"A coin has two sides, Sir. I may be only listening to Camila's side, but that doesn't mean you have your own reasons." Lauren answered truthfully.

"How did you even fell for her? Ever since we had a fall out, I knew I failed to stand up as a father to her. We'd only have disagreements and fight. Camila lacked love, and she had become reckless." Alejandro said.

"With all due respect, Sir. I disagree with you." Lauren smiled.

"I don't think Camila lacks love or is reckless. If anything, I think she's full of love and selfless. The way she would always think of others first before her own, how she'd be willing to give anything for the people important to her. You may have had a few bumps in the road, but that doesn't mean you lacked giving her the love she needed." Lauren said.

"Both you, and Mrs. Cabello gave her so much love, that she's able to make selfless decisions." Lauren added before she took the time to glance at Camila.

"Because if Camila lacked love, she wouldn't be able to give out so much." Lauren smiled.

"You're a good kid, Lauren." Alejandro said softly.

"To be honest, you were right. Camila and I haven't been like this for years, and I'm afraid you'll take her away from me and then return her broken and bruised." Alejandro said honestly.

"I hated how her previous relationship changed her, it was like I didn't know who she was anymore. But looking at her right now..." Alejandro said, glancing at her daughter.

"They're taking too long, Mami." Camila whispers nervously.

"Ay, Camilita. Calm your nerves." Sinuhe chuckles, before the two of them heard a loud chuckle.

Camila turned to Lauren and Alejandro, only to see her father smiling brightly and chuckling as he hugged Lauren.

"I suppose it's safe to say, your father likes Lauren." Sinuhe nudged her daughter.

"Who wouldn't?" Camila bit her lip to suppress a smile, catching Lauren's gaze in the process.

The moment in front of her made her heart skip beats. Alejandro had his hand placed on Lauren's shoulder as they walked back towards Camila, Sinuhe, and Sofi.

This wasn't the Saturday she expected at all, but she liked it. The way Lauren was casually—but politely conversing with her father as they eat at a restaurant nearby. Or perhaps how Sinuhe was basically playing dress up with Lauren (and her) and making the raven try different clothes that fit her style. Or it could be Lauren easily winning a unicorn Sofi named Ifos in the arcade.

Or maybe it was the fact that despite all the things Lauren was doing with her family, she managed to keep her attention on the brunette. Despite talking with her Dad, Lauren instantly noticed Camila's empty glass and refilled it without needing to cut the conversation with her father. Despite trying different outfits and pleading Sinuhe not to pay for it—but the woman did anyways—Lauren was able to hand Camila a handkerchief when the brunette was sweating from trying out different clothes as well. And of course, despite winning Ifos for Sofi, she was now face to face with a Koala almost half her size.

"What is this?" Camila asked, confused at the stuffed animal.

"For you." Lauren said, peaking from the Koala's side.

"But why?"

"Just because." Lauren smiled adorably.

"Also because I saw you eyeing it a while ago. I thought maybe you liked it, and what's the point of my Softball skills if I can't win you this cutie right here?" Lauren added.

"Or, if you don't like it, I c—"

"No, no. I love it." Camila said, cutting Lauren off as she shook her head.

"And Lo loves you." Sofi chimed in, looking at Camila and then Lauren.

"Right?" Sofi asks as she focused her gaze on the raven, making Camila do the same.

"Very much." Lauren nodded, before she looked at Camila with a smile. If only Lauren knew how much of an impact that smile had on Camila.

"And you love her too, right Kaki?" Sofi asks, this time focusing on her sister.

The way Sofi looked at her, Camila was somehow terrified. Sofi's eyes were basically twinkling with excitement and happiness. It was obvious that she really liked Lauren.

"Of course. Bigger than Laurmila." Camila smiled, walking towards the Koala.

"Laurmila?" Lauren asks, confusion evident in her eyes.

"What? It's a mix of our names." Camila defended, making Lauren laugh.

"It's cute, but it's a mouthful." Lauren says before she smiled.

"How about, Camren?"

"Camren? I like it!" Sofi smiles happily, even jumping.

"Camren, meet Ifos!" Sofi grins, holding her unicorn towards the Koala as if she was really introducing them to each other.

"Alright, mis hijas. It's time to head back, the three of us has a flight to catch." Alejandro smiled, even shooting a wink towards Camila's way.

"Oh? Are you claiming Lauren as your daughter now?" Sinuhe teases, glancing at Camila and also shooting her a wink.

"I'm simply manifesting my daughter-in-law and my daughter to end up together." Alejandro shrugs.

"Right, Lauren?" Alejandro added, glancing at the raven.

Lauren could only smile from Camila's perspective. But from the other side, Lauren was a blushing mess.

It was in that moment that Camila wished everything could slow down and be in the moment forever. Everything just felt so comforting and peaceful, she liked it.

What she didn't like though, was the fact that it was now Monday already, Lauren's third week as her girlfriend has started. And speaking of the raven, Camila had not seen her at all the whole day. Aside from that, there were no messages nor updates about the raven's whereabouts.

Although, Camila clearly understood that Lauren was busy and had her school works/exams as well. It was just she was used to the fact that she was able to see Lauren 24/7 the past days/weeks. Even so, she still took the pride of not texting Lauren first. (Partly because she was scared of disturbing and distracting her, and partly because she didn't want to make the first move and appear needy. She would rather be prideful than get constant teases from Lauren.)

Her Monday wasn't eventful at all. She spent the time taking her exam, answering lab manuals, and even assessing different case studies. Now, she was stuck at the school's bench, deciding on whether she was going to book an uber, or take a public transportation vehicle to go home. Or if it was a hassle, she could always contact Juan and ask for a ride home...although she was silently praying Lauren would appear out of thin air or text her.

And boy, do prayers work fast.

"What's with the frown, princess?" Camila read through her notification, attached to it was a picture of herself. She had a hand placed on her chin, lips curved into a frown with eyebrows furrowed.

And here she thought she'd go through a whole day without seeing Lauren.

Almost immediately, Camila's face lit up as she looked at the sender, before her head shot up with an "are you kidding me?" expression.

Lauren did not say anything, rather the smile on her face explains the current contact name she had on Camila's phone.

"Really? My oh-so-hot and sexy girlfriend 😍🔥🫦" Camila sighed, making Lauren laugh as she walked closer to the brunette.

"I'm just trying to match your contact name. It wasn't my fault you left your phone unattended yesterday. Besides, you already saved me as Hot and Sexy Girlfriend 😍🔥🫦" Lauren reminded with a grin.

"It did not have the fire and lip biting emoji, nor hot and sexy! It was Ally who placed that!" Camila defended.

"And you could've changed it." Lauren teased.

"At least mine has some oomf in it, unlike yours with Camila ❤️" Camila rolled her eyes, making Lauren laugh.

"So you decided to customize it and name yourself Princess Camila, my one and only priority.😩❤️✨" Lauren asked, making Camila laugh.

"Well, am I not your priority?" Camila raised her brow.

"Of course you are. You can name yourself however you want on my phone." Lauren chuckled.

"Aren't you the sweetest?" Camila teased.

"Only for you, princess." Lauren answered with a grin.

"Also because it was required. So thank you for noticing it." Lauren whispered, making Camila slap her arm.

"I'm just kidding." Lauren laughed.

"What are you even doing here?" Camila rolled her eyes—although deep inside she was actually happy to see Lauren.

"I had to meet a classmate for a pair paperwork assigned to us, it's due next week but I thought we could start working on it today since we both had free schedules." Lauren explained.

"I see." Camila nodded in understanding, although somewhat disappointed that Lauren happened to bump into her by accident.

"I checked the time and see it was almost time for your last subject's dismissal so I thought I'd drop by and wish you good luck on your exams tomorrow." Lauren added, even patting the top of Camila's head.

"Lauren!" Both woman turned to the caller, Lauren's body language showed that she recognized the women walking towards them, while Camila had a confused expression.

"Patricia, Jess." Lauren greeted.

"You did really great with that paperwork. I'm glad you're my partner." The redhead smiled, even taking the time to place a hand on Lauren's shoulder.

"Ahem." The blonde cleared her throat.

"Camila, this is Patricia." Lauren informed the brunette, hand gesturing to the redhead—whom Camila was mentally glaring at.

"And this is Jess." Lauren introduced, doing the same gesture towards the blonde woman.

"Patricia's the classmate I worked on that paperwork I mentioned earlier. Jess on the other hand is her friend, and is also a classmate of ours." Lauren added, while Camila nodded and gave the duo a little nod and a small smile.

"Patricia, Jess, this is Camila." Lauren paused, to which Camila looked at Lauren with a displeased gaze.

"Hi, it's nice to meet Lauren's friend!" Patricia smiled enthusiastically, chiming in before Lauren could continue her sentence.

Lauren could feel the tension and see Camila's glaring eyes directed towards her, as if she was warning Lauren. The moment Lauren opened her mouth and was supposed to continue, Jess took the stage.

"Oh! The woman on your lock-screen!" Jess exclaimed, making Lauren smile and nod as she took her phone out.

"Lock-screen?" Patricia furrowed her brows, even looking at Jess and Lauren as if she was trying to clarify things. Camila wasn't speaking, but the creased brows gave it away that she was confused as well.

"Yes, it's her." Lauren smiled proudly, holding her phone up.

"I'm confused?" Patricia furrowed her brows before she turned to the phone Lauren was holding.

If she wasn't in such a good mood, Camila would've probably said something that could cause such an emotional damage towards Patricia.

"What's so hard to understand? Girl, they're together! They are in a relationship, they love each other!" Jess exclaimed happily and excitedly.

"But Lauren... she said friend?"

"Lauren did not say such a thing! You cut her off before she could properly introduce Camila." Jess sighed in annoyance, shaking her head at the redhead.

"You're so much prettier in person, oh my gosh!" Jess exclaimed, even engulfing the brunette into a hug.

While Patricia remained silent for the rest of the interaction, Jess was extremely happy with the fact that she met the "woman on the lock-screen".

"If you'd excuse us, I have to take this pretty lady home and make sure she gets the rest she needs." Lauren finally spoke up once more, even taking the time to kiss Camila's cheek.

Although Lauren said rest, she didn't specify when. Because right now, Camila was now sitting on top of the kitchen counter of her own home and in an apron, watching the raven do her thing with cooking and teach her sibling.

"And then you just have to place this one right here, and you're done." Lauren said, looking at the screen in front of her.

"I don't think Taylor understands." Camila laughs.

"Yes. I really don't, sister-in-law." Taylor agrees.

Sister-in-law. The endearment made Camila smile.

They've arrived at Camila's penthouse almost an hour ago before Lauren received a video call from her younger sister.

The thing was, Lauren never really informed her family about the "Rent-A-Lover" job. All they knew was that Lauren has a part time job at the restaurant and at the library.

Since, Camila was basically her "girlfriend" as of the moment, she decided to swing with it and introduce the brunette as her girlfriend indeed—in which she was unaware that Camila was playing along on the outside but actually squealing like a little girl on the inside in happiness.

Nothing makes a relationship more romantic than being legal on both family sides.

"So I didn't really have to do anything?" Camila asks as the call ended, looking at Lauren as she sat by the kitchen counter.

"Nope." Lauren smiled.

"Then why'd you make me wear an apron?" Camila furrowed her brows.

"So we'd be matching." Lauren said before she turned around and brought the dirty plates towards the sink, leaving Camila blushing and speechless.

"And you decided to include me in the call with Taylor?" Camila added.

"Mhm, so my family knows the girl I'm dating. And the woman responsible for my happiness." Lauren said nonchalantly.

"You're killing me, Jauregui." Camila thought to herself, eyes watching Lauren ever so softly.

"I mean, you're not a stranger to them at all. Taylor probably had a hunch that you are my girlfriend the moment you appeared on the video call. They basically know you by name, and I assume they probably stalked you already." Lauren chuckled although saying those words as a matter of fact.

"What do you think of my family, then?" Lauren asks, as she walked towards Camila from the kitchen counter, ready to help the brunette down.

"They're sweet and so nice. I love them. I love my in-laws." Camila answered truthfully, eyes widening when she realized what she called Lauren's family.

"I...uh—that's good. I'm sure they love their sister/daughter-in-law too." Lauren responded with a smile, cutting Camila off before she gently guided Camila down the counter.

Camila bit her lip. What was this feeling in her chest? It felt like she was going to burst any second. It was the good kind though.

"Come and eat dinner, I'll be going in a few minutes or so for work." Lauren added

"You're the best." Camila whispered before she went on her tip-toes and kissed Lauren on the lips—surprising the green-eyed girl, and unaware of the butterflies she made Lauren feel.

Camila didn't know what came over her as well. All that she knew was that she was happy with everything that's happening. In fact, too happy that she couldn't stop giggling and smiling as she ate dinner with Lauren, in fact she was so happy that the moment the raven left, she immediately face timed Ally.

"What do you want to talk about, my beautiful cousin?" Ally asks, although she continued to examine the pastries every staff was showing her.

"Remember how you told me not to get ahead of myself?" Camila bit her lip.

And boy, by the looks of it...with Ally's eyes going wide and jaw suddenly dropping, she did not need to elaborate what she was trying to say.

"You fell!" Ally exclaimed.

"Ally!" Camila whined.

"Oh my gosh, you fell?!" Ally whisper-yelled this time.

"I don't know Als. But the past few days and the past week, I've been feeling pretty sad whenever I don't see her. And here's the thing, Mom, Dad, and Sofi returned from Disneyland last Saturday and they met Lauren. Ally, oh my gosh. I've never seen my father approve of someone so fast he called Lauren his daughter-in-law." Camila said, biting her lip.

"And today, a girl worked as her pair for their paperwork, and I know she's into Lauren—but I was so mad Ally. I felt really mad, like I wanted to just ahh!" Camila explained then soon exclaimed in frustration, even clutching her fingers into fists in thin air.

"And then her friend recognized me, she said I was the woman on the lockscreen, and Lo pulled her phone out and it was me, Ally. IT WAS ME." Camila added.

The excitement in Camila's was visible. The way she was hugging the Koala as she continued to share her thoughts was a huge giveaway.

"Then we went home and she got on a call with her sister. She introduced me to her family as her girlfriend and oh my gosh Ally, her family? They're so nice! Talking with them felt like I've known them for ages. And Ally, her sister called me sister-in-law." Camila rambled on, different emotions coursing through her face—and possibly veins.

"Ally, she's so different. She's so romantically-coded." Camila bit her lip in excitement, before her face fell.

"What if she's only romantically-coded because of the site?" Camila whispered.

"Cousin, don't say that." Ally shook her head—although a part of her was somehow worried about the same.

"It's the only explanation as to why she acts like this? I mean, Lauren is silently checking out the lists of qualities I wanted for my rented lover, and maybe..." Camila whispered, her voice was slowly fading by the second.

"Cousin, with the way she was attentive towards you, I don't think it's because of the site." Ally tried to console her.

"Maybe I shouldn't be jumping into conclusions, maybe Lauren's just really nice and she..." Camila trailed off before she saw a notification pop up from the screen.

"Camz, could you do me a favor and go look out your balcony?"

"What?" Camila muttered, confused.

"What?" Ally asked, confused as well. She didn't know why Camila was suddenly mumbling out loud.

"Lauren sent me a text, hang on." Camila said before she stood up from her bed, walking towards her balcony.

"What did she say?" Ally asks.

"Oh my fucking g—DON'T SAY IT!"

"I'm sorry but what the fuck?" Camila said in disbelief.

"What in the world is happening? What's wrong?" Ally asked in both confusion and anxiety.

As for Camila, she didn't respond anymore. Rather she held her phone by the railing and flipped the camera backwards.

"Oh my Gosh." Ally gasped.

"Indeed." Camila bit her lip.

The view was breathtaking, it probably took a while to prepare this, and the efforts are clearly showing. There were little hearts and snowflakes, along with a few other details that basically represents the three words written on the ground with thanks to certain led lights.

"Winter Ball date?"

(WC : 4520)
ENJOY! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.8K 466 35
This book is no longer updated. <33 AOT | Follows the plot of aot | Modern | Different worlds. | Angst | Fluff. "Splash" was the last thing you h...
1.7K 58 4
Find out what happens
4K 258 11
Lauren Jauregui and Camila Cabello have been best friends for years, since they were 5 years old. Camila has always thought of Lauren just like any o...
260K 6.3K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...