THE GREAT PRETENDER ¬ ACOTAR

By ungodIy-

❝ we're all great pretenders, aren't we? ❞ (pre-acotar to acowar) (eventual azriel x fem!oc) (ungodly- [2021]) More

THE GREAT PRETENDER
act i. ― FINDING HOME
chapter i.
chapter ii.
chapter iii.
chapter iv.
chapter v.
chapter vi.
chapter vii.
chapter viii.
chapter ix.
chapter x.
act ii ― FAR FROM HOME
chapter xi.
chapter xii.
chapter xiii.
chapter xiv.
chapter xv.
chapter xvi.
chapter xvii.
chapter xviii.
chapter xix.
chapter xx.
act iii - FINALLY HOME
chapter xxi.
chapter xxii.
chapter xxiii.
chapter xxiv.
chapter xxv.
chapter xxvi.
chapter xxvii.
chapter xxviii.
chapter xxix.
chapter xxx.
chapter xxxi.
chapter xxxii.
chapter xxxiii.

chapter xxxiv.

913 24 1
By ungodIy-

*    · .     ✺    ✧ .  ✵ *   *    · .     ✵ *      ✫ *   .   · ⊹   ✺ .   ✧    ✦ ✫   . ✫ * .            ·   ⊹   ✺ .     ✧ .  ✦ ✫   . .

CHAPTER XXXIV

GOOD

LAUGHS can be heard as the shadowsinger and his spy accompanied each other in the halls. Callaghan could barely suppress her laughter when she remembered how ridiculous Cassian danced with them that night.

The dance between her and Azriel was cut short when a star-spirit decided to slam itself on her hair. He tried to keep his laughs to himself but then Cas and Mor saw the entire thing and let out loud guffaws of their own. She took some of the glowing paint-like specs from her head and smeared them on their faces. Mor gaped at her in disbelief and Cassian took more from her hair, almost taking her pearls out, and slammed his glowing hand right on Azriel's face. The three paused for a moment, preparing for the shadowsinger's reaction. "Oh it's on," he said, his hand reaching out and messing up the General's hair.

They were like children. Playing around with the stardust and dancing as the music swallowed them. It wasn't long until Rhys and Feyre joined in the fun. Before they knew it, Viktor, together with his florist, began dancing with them too. Bright smiles and great joy enveloped the Night Court's Inner Circle as the festivities went on. Nothing could compare to this moment. Even for a brief second, they didn't feel the threat of an incoming war.

By the end of the night, Rhys and Feyre went to the townhouse, Mor was asleep on the settee, Cassian was passed out somewhere, and the two lovers — Vik and Nalu — were nowhere to be found.

Callaghan held her shoes in her hand as she walked to her room with Azriel by her side. He had offered to usher her to her quarters, and who was she to refuse?

Their laughs died down to a comforting silence when they reached her door. She lifts her eyes up at him, where she notices how young he looked with his hair flopped over his forehead. The slicked back style it had earlier now gone. Cal reached up to brush the hair off his face, her knuckles gently running along his cheekbone as she lowered her hand, "Thank you for tonight."

He peered at her with those warm eyes of his. The molten gold meeting her own. "Thank you for the dance."

Truth to be told, Callaghan would've danced with him 'til the sun came to say hello, but alas, the tight shoes she wore made her feet ache a whole lot. All in the name of fashion.

"Rest, dearest," she told him, "We have a long day tomorrow."

He was not sure if it was the liquid courage in his system or the absolute happiness he felt that prompted him to ask, "Dream of me?"

"I will," a soft smile graced her features, "I always will."

──────────────────────────────

THE MOUNTAINS were freezing, especially at this time of the year. Cal was glad she had many layers on as she trekked in the snow.

She raised her arms in mock defense when a sword point touched her chin, "Lord Devlon, such a pleasure as always."

"What are you doing here?" he asked, glaring at her.

Using her index finger, she pushed the blade away from her face, "The High Lord is on his way, I'm here to see if things are in order when he comes."

"They are training," he reluctantly sheathes his blade by his hip, "Is that what you came here for?"

"Hmm," she walked past the war-lord, heading towards the camp, "What I came here for is none of your concern. Have a good day, Lord Devlon."

After a few hours of doing rounds and check ups, the others arrived and Callaghan was right there to welcome them. The spy quickly raked her gaze on them. Viktor wasn't with them since he volunteered to stay with Amren as she worked on the Book, but everyone knew why he didn't want to be away for a long time. Azriel wasn't with the group as well. He was off beyond the wall to go and check on Feyre's sisters if the queens wrote back.

"I hate this place," Mor states under her breath, face tight and pale, "It should be burned to the ground."

"I'll give you the match," Cal walks to stand beside Feyre, while tucking a stray hair that went out of her braid. She watched as Devlon and a few of his men sauntered towards Rhys.

"Another camp inspection? Your dog," the war-lord jerked a chin to Cassian, "Was here just the other week. The girls are training."

Cassian crossed his arms, "I don't see them in the ring."

"They do chores first," Devlon said, wings flaring slightly, "Then when they've finished, they get to train."

Callaghan rolled her eyes. Illyrian men, always relying on women to do their shit for them. All they do is fight and train and boss around, while the women practically do everything else.

Morrigan snarled, making the male stiffen as she smiled at him, "Hello, Lord Devlon." But the Illyrian only gave her a dismissive once-over and turned back to Rhysand. The growl Cassian released was not missed by anyone in the group.

Rhysand went straight to business. Telling Devlon what he wanted to be done. The girls are to be trained before their chores, as told by General Cassian. And that his mother's house was to be vacated since they were staying there for the time being.

"The house is taken care of," Callaghan butted in before Devlon could even speak, "I made sure it's vacant before you came."

Truth to be told, it was difficult dealing with Illyrian warriors. She had first hand experiences from Cas and Azriel but the ones in this camp are much more proud and arrogant. They stood so high on their man-made pedestals that they didn't even bother to listen to her at first. In the end, Cal got her way done and the house was clean in an hour.

Cal did not focus too much on Rhysand and Devlon's verbal fight. She kept her eye on the men around them, glaring at the winged males who dared to come close. Although, Rhys' threat seemed to have done the trick.

"We're heading out," her High Lord turned towards the tree line, not even bothering to dismiss Devlon. "We'll be back by nightfall."

He threw a pointed look at both Mor and Callaghan, "Try to stay out of trouble, please. Devlon hates us the least of the war-lords and I don't feel like finding a new camp."

"Might be too late for that, Rhys," Cal muttered, remembering the incident with the warriors in the house.

Mor winked at him and Feyre, "I'll try."

He shook his head at them, then faced Cassian, "Check on the forces, then make sure those girls are practicing like they should be. If Devlon or the others object, do what you have to."

Cassian's grin went wide, he was happy that he'd be the one to do that task.

"Cal—"

"I'll play guard dog," she cuts him off, "I'll be in the house if you need me."

Rhysand nodded at her words, "Alright, see you all soon."

Callaghan waited until Rhys and Feyre flew off before she turned her back and headed for the house.

It was so cold. She could never get used to the weather in these camps. No matter how many times she visits, the cold still bites her skin every time.

At dinner time, Feyre and Rhys were done in their little training exercise. The Cursebreaker was trying to keep herself from shivering. Cal offered her own blanket but the girl politely refused then turned back to her bowl.

Just as Feyre went into her room, Callaghan spoke behind Rhysand, "Trouble in paradise?"

Rhys pushed her away playfully towards the third room, but she paused before entering, "My roommate is busy, do you want to talk?"

At first Cal thought he'd decline, but instead he followed her into the room, where he sat on Cassian's bed. Elbows resting on his knees. Callaghan sat across from him on her own bed, "What's on your mind?"

"Viktor," he said, eyes dull and the shine in them fading, "He told me I scared him while we were in Hewn. It – It reminded me so much of when you two were new to the Circle. The fear in his eyes when he mistook my silence as anger. I hate that."

"Oh, Rhys," Cal stands and sits beside him, "You did what you had to. Vik knows that. You're family, Rhys, we shouldn't fear you."

"I know," the High Lord sighed, "He told me. And I told him to give me ten push ups."

Callaghan snorted, "Good."

"I also told Feyre," he added, the somber feeling enveloping them again, "The truth about how Tamlin and I got our thrones."

He told Feyre about the death of his mother and sister. About how he helped in killing Tamlin's brothers. About how Tamlin betrayed his trust.

"What did she say?"

"Sorry. She was sorry for not knowing the real story."

Cal didn't know what else to tell him. So she took his hand after a moment, "Remember this, Rhys. You are not the villain here. You are good and kind and —"

"Good talk," he stands abruptly, walking to the door, "I'll see you in the morning."

And he leaves the room.

──────────────────────────────

[notes!]

well,,, hi :>

also i have a rhysand fic out already, called world-walker :) hope u guys give that the same level of love and support that u guys have given the great pretender :>

thank you all so much for the love u have for cal and vik and me :>

*    · .     ✺    ✧ .  ✵ *   *    · .     ✵ *      ✫ *   .   · ⊹   ✺ .   ✧    ✦ ✫   . ✫ * .            ·   ⊹   ✺ .     ✧ .  ✦ ✫   . .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 3.1K 31
This takes place after ACOWAR (Characters belong to Sarah J Maas) Azriel x OC ----‐--------------------------------------------------- Prythian is in...
8K 508 10
𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐒𝐇 ❛ how cruel, your veins are full of ice-water and mine are boiling ❜ ...
53.3K 1.3K 45
𝚛𝚑𝚢𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚍'𝚜 𝚜𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚡 𝚊𝚣𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚕 ͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ 𝙱𝚎𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚜 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚜 𝚗𝚒𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚝𝚋𝚘𝚢𝚜 𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚍𝚑...
27.9K 317 38
A collection of ACOTAR one-shots! There will be many different ships and even normal relationships such as friendships (Ex. Nesta and Azriel!), If y...