Lessons on Love

Oleh Paulala07

I thought I was an expert on what a soulmate is and how I could know if I've found 'The One'. I've read every... Lebih Banyak

Fishes and Frogs
Forehead to Forehead
See You Tomorrow
Magnetic Lips
Sex in the Shower
Burning Match, Raging Inferno
Tiger Lilies
Wake Up
Don't Look At Me
Flashbacks
Black & White
Good Juju; Bad Juju
Disappearing Act
Until The Sun Comes Up
Bathroom Confessions

As Inevitable As Fate

4.3K 102 44
Oleh Paulala07

After the initial shock of our meeting wore off, Jade and I decided to get started on the day we had had just begun. She had offered her car but I managed to convince her to let me drive and to take the CRV instead, it had rained last night as well as this morning and I wouldn't want her car BMW to get caked in mud.

Plus, the kids in the community weren't used to seeing such a beautiful car and it might call unwanted attention to us.

Jade agreed without much debate and as I led her to my parking space, I couldn't help but swallow down the nerves I felt in my gut. What were the chances that Jade, of all people, would be Pearl's sister-in-law.

It just didn't happen and yet here we were.

Like a friggin' movie or a novel about serendipity. I thought dryly as we reach the car.

"This is me." I motion to my 2000 Honda CRV, feeling slightly embarrassed that it was nothing like the cars she was used to. "It's no hummer but it'll get us there." I add before opening the passenger door for her.

Jade gives me a warm smile, "I like it." she says before slipping into the passenger seat just as a light blush flourishes on my cheeks. I clear my throat discreetly before making my way to the driver seat and getting in.

We ride in silence for a few minutes before her phone rings, "Hello, David? I'm sorry but you know I can't say no to Pearl. It's for her wedding. Yes I know what the date today is, I'll try to be back early ." I could hear a male voice on the other line say something and I could feel her eyes on the side of my face

"A friend." She answers and I could easily guess what the question was. "A woman, David. No you can't talk to her because she's driving." Jade adds then scoffs at something else that he  says, "I'm not eight. I don't need you to go with me. I'll talk to you later." she barks before disconnecting the line.

Sensing her agitation, I keep my eyes on the road and remain silent to give her a few moments. Sensing the need for a distraction, I picked up my favorite 'road trip mix' CD and popped it into the player before selecting my jam.

The upbeat intro filters into the cab through the speakers and my head bobs in time with the beat. It only takes a few seconds into the song before I notice Jade nodding as well.

"I'll open up my eyes and see, the rules are there to set me free." She sings without a single word off beat. "I keep on chasing but the world won't let me be!"

"They break me now but i'm still here" I chime in with a soft laugh, and Jade smiles warmly at me, "this light inside won't disappear."

"Believe that my love is meant for something real." We sing together.

She turns with a smile then places a hand on my arm, "I love this song!" Jade says with honest surprise in her voice, "I'm impressed that you know it."
"I try to veer away from mainstream music. Found this album in a small restaurant and bought it on a whim."

"Runner's Kitchen?" She gasped and I nodded, "Ah! What a coincidence, that's where I bought mine!"

The song plays forgotten in the background as we talk about food and music that we liked and I find that we shared some of them. She gave me a small list of singers that were't mainstream and I shared with her some of my favorite restaurants that she's never been to yet.

We fall into a comfortable silence as I drove us to the mountains where our farm was located. "Why so far away?" She had asked when I told her where we were going.

I told her that in a country that was constantly overheated, the only place we could put up the farm was up in the mountains where the soil was much cooler and less acidic; allowing it to grow healthy, vibrant flowers. Our farm was placed in the perfect spot too, because with the backdrop of the Taal lake, the farm had become a sort of escape whenever I got tired of city life.

Growing more comfortable in my car, Jade had started digging through the collection of CDs I had in the glove compartment before picking one out of the bunch and slipping it into the CD tray. The sound and music of the guitars flowed through the car speakers and drowned us in the relaxing music; both Jade and I falling silent in favor of listening to the music.

Several miles later, I pull to a stop at a gas station and turn the ignition off before turning to Jade, my voice catching in my throat as my eyes take her in. Jade was sleeping. A billionaire heiress sleeping in the passenger side of my old model Honda with her head cocked awkwardly to the right and against the window.

She looked so beautiful, so peaceful as she slept and just like every time that I saw her, it took my breath away.

Keep it professional, Althea. This is for Batchi and you can't go around messing it up for her.

Don't stare!

Blinking rapidly to control my thoughts, I shake my head then reach towards the back seat to grab the small pillow that I kept for Marinelle. I unbuckle my own seat-belt to lean towards Jade and as gently as I could, I slip my hand behind her head and lifted it up.

She must have really been knocked out because even with the movement, she didn't stir; instead she grumbled then lifted a hand before reaching out to stop whatever was bothering her slumber.

Her hand, however, lands on my chest and causes my heart to hammer violently against her palm. Swallowing thickly, I brave the small distance between us and lifted her head to slip the pillow between her head and the window.

The pull brings her face close to mine and as if fate was making things as awkward as possible, her eyes open.

I felt like I was just caught doing something I shouldn't and my whole body freezes; she freezes too. Neither of us move for an indefinite amount of time but between us there were so many words that seemed to float in the air, just waiting for someone to utter them.

But neither of us do, so we sit there with her hand over my thumping heart and my hand half perched on the headrest behind her while the other cradled her head.

It was like the car was filled with invisible electricity that passed between us and filled the small space. Like one move, one breath, or even just one word could cause the whole car to explode from the sheer tension there was between us.

Despite this, Jade didn't move away and neither did I. Like we we're testing the waters of this tension around us. Checking if it would burst or flow away on it's own.

She remained quiet but kept her head exactly where it was when she opened her eyes; in my hands and weighing me down from floating away. She was so close that looking up at her caused me to go cross-eyed so after a few seconds, I settled for locking my eyes somewhere lower on her face.

Her pointed nose.

Her defined cheeks.

Her lips.

God her lips. They looked so soft and supple under the pale pink lipstick and I just wanted to feel them. I wanted to taste them.

I hadn't noticed that my face had drawn closer to hers until a faint knock on the window pulls me from my thoughts and I quickly jerk away from Jade. "I... Uh... Sorry, I was just-- trying to make you com-comfortable." I stutter pathetically before turning to the station attendant, telling him to fill up the tank.

"Thank you. I... appreciate it." Jade says so quietly that I could have missed it if the car was running.
"You're welcome. I wouldn't-- didn't want you to get a stiff neck."
"Right." she chuckles nervously then turns towards the small convenience store, "I'm going to go buy snacks, do you want anything?"

"Surprise me." I say before fishing a bill out of my bag and handing it to her.
Jade pushes the money back towards me with a shake of her head, "I got this." she says before stepping out of the car and walking towards the small store.

When I was sure that she wouldn't look back, I groan and let my head fall against the steering wheel.

What. Am. I. Doing?

Thinking that some air might help me, I step out of the car and lean against the side as I waited for Jade to come back. Immediately, I notice that most of the people around the gas station were truckers. Most, if not all, of them eating while propped up on the hood of their big-rig trucks.

"Hey there." A male voice calls out from beside me. A man with slicked back hair and an arrogant smirk says from the window of his Ford Mustang. "My name's JC, what's yours?"

Jade chose that moment to return, cradling a paper bag in her arms while the plastic stick of a lollipop stuck out from her between her lips. "Let's go?" she asks casually. Ignoring the man beside me, I stepped forward and opened the passenger door for her.

I hadn't noticed the man get off his car until I turned to get to the driver's seat and bumped into him, "Where you headed, sweetheart?" he asks and I could smell the alcohol on his breath.

"None of your business so get out of my way." I snap, trying to move around him, but he blocks off my path and pins me between the car and his hands.

The car horn beeps from under the hood making me jump and for his eyes to dart towards the car, towards Jade, "If you and your friend want to have some fun, give me a call." He husks into my ear before pulling back, slipping a card into my pocket and letting me go. Turning towards the car, I see Jade with a concerned expression but I waved her off as I slip into the driver seat.

"What the hell was that about?" She asks, a slight panic tinting her voice. "Are you okay?"
I shrug, "Yeah, just some creep."
Jade looked at me in a way that screamed possession before her eyes drifted to the man who had now made his way to his own car. "Let's just go." she says quietly before popping the lollipop back into her mouth.

We spent several minutes after our stop over just munching on chips and talking about which ones she liked and which flavors made her cringe; all while playing a game of I-Spy.

"This is really good!" My voice was high and excited as as I bit off the chocolate coated end of the pretzel stick in my hand. "What is this?"

Jade hums then picks up the box, "Pepero."

"Pepero?" I echoed.

Jade grind and answers, "It's Pe-perfect."
When that registers in my head, I couldn't help the loud ungraceful laugh the bubbles up my chest. We, again, settle into a comfortable silence and soon she was dozing off against the pillow I had provided. Not even the vocal prowess of Meghan Trainor could keep her awake.

Over half an hour later, we pull up to the farm. The large arc that was appropriately covered in roses greeted us at the gate, I pull to a stop in front of the main house before shutting the engine and nudging Jade' awake.

"Jade...? Jade? We're here." I say with a gentle nudge to her shoulder.

Her eyes flutter open to meet mine and I see confusion in them as we lock gazes for what felt like forever for nth time that day.

It was like every time our eyes met, there was just something there. A spark? Chemistry? I didn't know what it was but it felt like an unquenchable thirst, like I was dying to taste her. Like I was in a desert and she was the only thing that could quench the hunger I felt.

But I couldn't.

She was... well... her.

And I was me.

And it just couldn't happen.

A look passes her face and she opens her mouth to speak, "Althea, I--" Just then, I see a familiar woman approach the car and out of instinct, we both pull back.

We both clear our throats and I force smile on my lips and shakily motion to the farm, "welcome to Sally's Flower Farm."

The farm was an average size plot of land on the right side of the mountain, away from the main city that serves as a tourist destination. The house sat atop a hill while the rest of the farm was on the base, allowing the people at the house to have full view of all the greenhouses and fields. The small pond, the stables and the supply house were all located to the left of the main farm while the nursery sat right beside the house.

From a small, beaten-down farmhouse and an acre of land that was managed by my Ma and Pa, they had managed to make a living and improve everything that we used. From horses, to tractors, and even to the lone air-conditioned delivery truck that took the flowers to clients, all of it was thanks to my parents' never ending passion for flowers and their dedication to spread that beauty to all their clients.

"Althea!" The woman greeted and I waved through the window, smiling before stepping out the car but not before casting a nervous glance at Jade. I greet the woman with a hug before continuing to the passenger seat and allowing my guest to get off.

"Miss Vilma, this is Jade. Jade this is our caretaker, Vilma."

Jade smiles warmly then holds out her hand but Vilma shakes her head and shows us her dirt caked hands, "Oh, no. That's fine. Nice to meet you, Jade. It's not everyday Althea comes home with a friend. I hope you both have a good time!" She says shyly before scurrying back into the cover of the greenhouse, not giving me the opportunity to explain.

"Sorry about that..." I say, scratching my head, "She's not used to me bringing people here. Usually it's my dad who brings clients over."
"It's fine! She's really nice." Jade says with a soft chuckle that I echoed before ushering her towards the farmhouse. "Come on. Let's put our stuff down and then we can go on a ride around the farm."
She stops in her tracks and looks at me incredulously, "A ride?"

"No way."

"Jade, come on."

"No."

"It's safe, I promise!"

"That thing could trample me to death, Althea."
"Yes it can." Jade throws a deadly look towards me at my answer and I quickly recover with, "but I won't let that happen." The horse neighs and bobs it's head in confidence, making Jade jump and take a step away from the creature. "Come on." I added, "you won't be able to enjoy the whole view if your feet are sore from all the walking."

She looks at me with creased eyebrows and her lips pressed into a tight line. Normally, I wouldn't push but I really wanted Jade to experience the farm as my father and I did back in the day which was on a horse that could trot between the large flowers shrubs without killing the blooms.

"Here..." I mutter before tying the horse loosely on the fence and making my way to her; my hands held out. "Look, I'll help you up on the horse and I'll ride beside you the whole time." Her deep chocolate eyes drift to my outstretched hands and after several seconds and a lot more urging from me, she finally reached out and grabs them.

A bright smile stretches my lips as I pull her towards the horse, "alright, one step at a time. First, let's get you within 5 feet of the horse."

She closes her eyes and nearly crushes my hands in a death grip as I lead her closer to the horse, her breathing ragged and shaky. "We're almost there." my voice coos gently.
"Don't let me go." Jade pleads silently.
"Never."

Somehow, my words felt deeper than how I had meant but I shook it off as nerves. I had a crush on her; a deep, all-consuming, soul shattering crush, yes.

But still a harmless little crush, right?

Pushing her limits and taking advantage of her cluelessness, I pull her to stand just beside the horse; it's tail wagging gently mere feet from where Jade stood. "Okay, we're near the horse. Open your eyes."

She takes several deep breaths through her nose before eventually opening one eye and using it to look around, closing it again as she realized where she was, "You said 5 feet!" Jade squeaked and bounced on the balls of her feet; her hands locking tighter against mine.
"I said within 5 feet, and I promised you'd be safe. See? Fate likes you already, don't you Fate?"

Fate neighs and nods.

"Come on. When you get old and become wheelchair bound, you're going to look back on this day and wish that you had listened to me and faced your fears. Come on. Trust me. I won't let anything happen to you."

Jade gives a nervous chuckle before swallowing thickly, "Jade. Open your eyes. You can do this." I add and after a moment, her eyes flutter open. Those deep dark pools that seemed to turn hazel in the sunlight were locked with mine.

"See?" I smile brightly as her shoulders begin relax.

Her eyes tear from mine to look at Fate who was looking back at us. Feeling confident, Jade releases one of my hands to tentatively stroke the side of Fate's neck, "Hello, Fate."

Fate blows air through his lips then steps sideways, nudging Jade gently.

"What was that for?" Jade asks with wide eyes.

I shake my head comfortingly, "Relax, he's just excited. Are you ready?"
The woman swallows nervously but surprisingly nods. I lean down and instruct her to slip one foot into the stirrups then to swing one leg over the horse; and in one attempt she's on the horse.

Wobbly and stiff but she got on and I was indescribably proud.

"You're a natural!"

"Yeah, as natural as a plastic bottle can get." She says with another soft laugh, "but how do I stay on him?"

I go about explaining the basic to Jade and when she sat slightly more confident atop the horse, I make my way to take another from the stables

Only a few steps from where they stood, I hear Fate begin to neigh angrily. He begins to move restlessly and even uncharacteristically ignores the pull of the reigns as Jade nervously tries to take control. "Althea!" She yelps in panic and without another thought, I take two large strides before jumping into the saddle behind Jade; my right hand landing quickly on top of hers as I pull on the reigns to ease Fate's restlessness, while my other arm wraps around Jade's waist to keep her against me.

"Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Easy. Easy." Fate neighs and bobs his head a few more times before finally settling down. It was then that I noticed Jade sitting stiff as a statue in front of me, her hands were cold as ice against mine and her jaw was clenched tightly that I feared her teeth might break.

Clearing my throat, I lean forward to whisper softly, "Jade? It's okay. You're safe."

My voice seemed to have brought her back and she turns to look at me, causing our faces to come millimeters from each other; so close that my nose brushed against her cheek as she turned. The proximity renders me frozen and speechless while Jade's eyes drift from my eyes to somewhere lower; my lips.

My head spun and it felt like I was standing on top of a cliff with no idea what was at the very bottom. I wanted to jump, wanted to know if I'd die or crash into a the raging rapids that was Jade Tanchingco.

This attraction.

This static between us.

This searing hot flame I feel in my chest was all becoming too much to handle.

I couldn't stop it and I think neither could she.

It was inevitable, like night turning into day.

Jade's eyes drift back up to mine and they were filled with fear and uncertainty that it pulled the words right out of my mouth before I could think, "I've got you. I won't let you go." I whisper before leaning forward and into the minute space between our lips.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

563K 11.6K 46
Most people only have 2 or 3 soulmates, but 19 year old nurse, Jade King, has not 3 not 4, but 24 soulmates. (Please don't hate, this is my first sto...
216K 6.7K 38
"Do you believe in Destiny or Soul mate?" She asked while we're both laying flat on the shiny wooden floor boards of my dance studio. I shifted to m...
94K 533 61
Ur name is y/n! Ur bestfriends w all the waltons but when U realize Jaden is rly cute..u try and find a way to date him withought jayla being mad..(H...
3.4K 41 22
What happens when you meet the right person for you! I try and upload to chapters twice a day!! Started 2/2/2024 Ended:3/16/2024 Published:2/4/20204