𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃 ᡍⁱˑᡇᡉʳᡗ ᡇˑ...

By LoonysLestrange

"I was enchanted to meet you." She finds him insufferable, he enjoys winding her up. She's quick-tempered, he... More

ENCHANTED
PLAYLIST
CHARLOTTE WELLS
ACT 1
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
ACT 2
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
ACT THREE
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
39
40
41
42

01

2.3K 43 15
By LoonysLestrange

 ༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

' How long will you ? '

- Charlotte Wells

---

THE HOOVES OF THE HORSE galloped along the grassy pasture, plummeting down on the green grass covered in daisies.

The girl on top of the animal looked as though she was on top of the world. With her dark chestnut hair flying behind her and her ice blue eyes glaring into the distance, her tan skin making the color pop out, she looked like a person you would only read in story books.

The horse below her thundered across the landscape, nostrils flaring. The animal looked like a ghost. The sun reflected off it's pearly white skin, giving the illusion it was glowing.

The horse leapt over the white picket fence in it's way, trotting gracefully into the Cuthbert's farm.

The girl swung off the horse, leading it by the reigns towards the stable. She turned to the left as she saw Matthew Cuthbert walking out of the stable. "Where's Marilla?"

"Hey Charlotte. She's off over at Rachel's with Anne."

Charlotte frowned in confusion. "Who?"

She had no idea who Anne was, after being away for two days working to pay off her debt to the Cuthbert's.

"The orphan we asked for to help with the farm, turns out we got a girl," Matthew explained. "And we just got a French boy in today to help with the farm work."

"Cool." Charlotte nodded, turning away to lead the horse into the stable. As she looked up, she saw a boy in the attic shoveling hay. After putting her horse away, she climbed up the ladder to the hay storage attack, stopping at the top. "Need help?"

The boy turned to look at her. "You must be Anne?"

"Close, but no," Charlotte corrected. "I haven't met Anne either. I'm Charlotte."

"Jerry. Did they adopt you too?"

"No, I live here, and in exchange I work on the farm and house, for certain tasks anyway. And if I make any money, I give the Cuthbert's half."

Jerry raised his eyebrows slightly, straightening his straw hat. "Why?"

"I don't want to talk about it," Charlotte replied.

The two turned around as footsteps were heard storming up the ladder. A small red head girl appeared a second later, her face showing clear signs of being annoyed.

"How long will you be here?" she asked Jerry, then turning to Charlotte. "And who are you?"

"You must be Anne-"

"With an E," Anne cut Jerry off.

"Jerry. Jerry Baynard, nice to meet you," he told her politely, offering his hand out to shake.

"Baynard? Foolhardy."

"What?" Charlotte asked, her and Jerry exchanging confused glances.

"His surname means reckless or foolhardy," Anne informed her. "And who are you?"

"Charlotte," the brunette replied, dusting off her pants.

"You weren't here when I first arrived."

"Because I was off working, I just got back-"

"And how long will you be staying?" Anne snapped.

"How long will you?" Charlotte cocked her head, smiling slightly when Anne sent her a harsh glare.

It was clear Marilla was having doubts about keeping Anne, due to how territorial of Green Gables she was, Charlotte picked up on that.

"I don't remember you from the orphanage," Anne addressed Jerry, watching as he worked.

"No, I come from town, big family. With so many of us, some must work."

"Well if you come from a large family it may trouble your conscience to know you're displacing my own position in my very first potential family. Both of you."

"Excuse me?" Charlotte raised her eyebrows. She was known in Green Gables for being distributive, but to Charlotte, she didn't allow herself to be a pushover. She learned how to stick up for herself after her first day of school. Kids picked on her because she was her skin wasn't pale like theirs, seeing as there were no people in Avonlea who matched Charlotte's tone. "We're not the ones wrecking the possibility of you staying here."

"I don't think the Cuthbert's will need you if I stay," Anne said as Jerry picked up a pitchfork. "In fact if you hand me your pitchfork I will be happy to finish your task."

"What's your problem?" Jerry asked.

"You, you're my problem."

"All I'm doing is my job, what are you supposed to be doing?" Jerry said sternly, climbing down the ladder to continue with tasks a distance away from Anne.

Anne looked over at Charlotte, her face turning to confusion at her clothing. She had never seen a girl wear pants and a shirt instead of a frilly dress. "Do you not own a dress?"

"I've got one, but I hate it. I can't get anything done in it," Charlotte replied. The girl was used to being in long pants, dresses felt like something she would wear if she was forced into it. 

"Do you sleep in the upstairs room in the Cuthbert's house?"

"Yeah, why. Do you have to share with me now?"

Anne nodded, turning on her heels and strutting out of the barn.

Charlotte stepped through the doorway of Green Gables, plopping herself down at the dining table, Marilla ignoring the fact the brunette had bits of straw stuck in her hair from her helping Jerry with the hay. 

"We got an invitation to tea tomorrow afternoon," Matthew announced. "The Barry's, they want to meet Anne. And Mr. Barry invited Charlotte along too."

Marilla looked towards the two girls, one sitting down cross legged, the other sitting as straight as a pin. Her face molded itself into shock. "I haven't finished the dress, Anne can't go in that. Charlotte, make sure your dress is fine looking."

"Who are the Barry's?" Anne asked, her voice trembling. "And why do they want to meet me?"

"Our neighbors, a very respectable family," Marilla replied. "I expect you two to be on your best behavior."

"But why?" Anne asked.

"They have two kids," Charlotte replied.

"Very well mannered girls," Marilla said, pacing around the kitchen to finish Anne's dress.

Anne looked down slightly. "Do they need help?"

"Diana is the girl nearest your age," Matthew spoke.

"If you stay here, I perhaps the two of you will become friends," Marilla spoke.

"A real friend." Anne looked down even more. Charlotte scanned her face, feeling sympathetic of the redhead.

Charlotte's eyebrows lowered as Marilla continued speaking, not realizing Anne was staring into a place mat in her own world. "What's wrong, are you ill?"

"No, Miss Cuthbert, I'll be as quiet as a mouse," Anne said glumly.

Charlotte pulled her eyes away from the girl, and down to the cup of tea in front of her. 

---

20/11/2023

I wrote this a while ago, and reading it back, I like to think my writing has gotten better.

But enjoy the first chapter, and enjoy waiting for a certain someone to arrive later. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 2.8K 28
It's hopeless. And it's stupid. It's suicidal. But love is a weapon they have no answer for. They know how you think, but they can't know what you fe...
148K 4.7K 17
THE HUNT | BNHA | Three. That was how old the daughter of two pro-heroes was when she was arrested. She wasn't even sure that was legal, but alas, i...
261K 8.1K 186
What if a PokΓ©mon Trainer found herself in the world of One Piece? What if she found herself with the Strawhat Pirates? What if she finds herself get...
519K 16.3K 74
Hiraeth - A homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the nostalgia, the yearning, the grief for the lost pla...