The Missing Piece // Scarlett...

Oleh Onixena

"The Missing Piece" is an exciting novel of drama and tenderness that will take you through the search for th... Lebih Banyak

In a Dysfunctional Family
Mirror image
Planning the Unpredictable
Lost in Central Park
Rescued
Mama Bear
Subtle Hints of Secrets
Storm from the Past
In the present time
Rose is at home
The Long-Awaited Day
Games and Detentions
Hectic Day
It Can't Happen Again!
Unveiling the Smiths
Waking in Silence
Breaking the Catatonia
Between Therapy, Games, and Judgment
Revealed Secrets and a Drenched Watch
Missing
White Water
Between Demons and Smiles
Take 20! Action!
Countdown
The Echo of the Tick-Tock
Behind The Silence
Between Tenderness and Anger
Return to the Warmth of Home
Bitter and Sweet
Changes and Mad Pace
The Found Piece

School Return

1.1K 45 15
Oleh Onixena

In the nights, June's dreams turned into terrifying nightmares, where Marian Smith's menacing gaze relentlessly pursued her, offering no mercy or escape. Marian's revenge was a dark shadow looming over June, a vengeance unleashed because, during the trial, June had spoken more than she should have. In these nocturnal terrors, June's deepest fears came to life, transporting her back to the anguish of being separated from her mother and siblings, helpless and without aid. The suffocation of a dark trunk, laden with dust that induced sneezing, was so vivid that upon waking, she did so amid screams, her body drenched in sweat.

June's disorientation led her to scream at the presence of anyone approaching, as if she didn't recognize them, until Scarlett's scent and voice brought her back to reality, unleashing heart-wrenching cries. The days were not much better. Any noise or the opening of a door was a cause for fear for June, who became a tiny shadow clinging to Scarlett. Although Scarlett didn't mind being that protector, facing the need to use the bathroom turned June's patience into an anxious wait by the door.

One morning, with pronounced dark circles, June looked at her mother as she prepared breakfast. Scarlett, noticing the gaze, gave her a smile, causing the girl to respond with a shy smile. "What's wrong, little one?" Scarlett asked.

"I want to go to school," declared June with conviction.

Scarlett scrutinized June intensely. In subsequent sessions with the psychologist, they decided not to pressure June until she was completely ready to return to the routine. Scarlett, sacrificing even her own work schedule for the well-being of her daughter, considered this a significant progress. She approached with a smile and kissed her little one's forehead. "Anytime, June, if you need Mom, I want you to tell the teacher. Understand?" She pressed her nose against her daughter's.

"Yes, Mom," nodded June, determined to return to school. She longed to reunite with Daisy; the two days shared with Iratxe and Carlitos provided some comfort, but she also yearned for a close friend.

When Rose received the news, she celebrated with a little victory dance, eliciting laughter from both June and Scarlett. "We'll be able to play at recess, June," Rose grinned broadly. "My friends can't wait to see you again."

Scarlett resumed the task of styling her daughters' hair. While Rose complained, causing laughter from Scarlett, June didn't express any complaints. For her, it was still a complete novelty for a mom to take care of both hair and breakfast or ensure her clothes were presentable. Both girls sported replicas of updos and the school uniform.

June hugged Scarlett tightly when she said goodbye at the school gate, a gesture so intense that it worried Scarlett. She was about to take her back until June let go and ran alongside her sister, under the watchful gaze of their mother.

June stayed with Rose until each had to go to their respective lines and classes. June's gaze scanned the area until she spotted Daisy. She followed her into the classroom and sat beside her.

"Hello, Daisy!" June greeted cheerfully.

June's brow furrowed when she received no response from her new friend. June's eyes explored Daisy, the rest of the students were entering, and the teacher was taking attendance. June occasionally looked at Daisy, but the other girl didn't meet her gaze; she simply seemed to ignore her.

"Daisy, are you okay?" June asked with concern, sensing the tension in the air.

The classroom atmosphere filled with anticipation as June anxiously awaited Daisy's response. Daisy huffed and finally turned to look at her, but not in the way June had hoped; Daisy seemed angry.

"Has no one told you that you're annoying?" Daisy retorted with a touch of venom in her voice, sinking June into her chair.

"Are you so naive that you can't see I don't want to talk to you?" Daisy continued, retrieving her school supplies with irritation. "If you don't leave me alone, I'll complain to the teacher and switch seats."

June opened her mouth, but shut it abruptly, her gaze completely lost, not understanding what had led Daisy to speak to her like that. She worried, thinking that maybe her friend was having a bad day, recalling how Iratxe once snapped because her mother had fallen seriously ill.

She remained silent during the remaining classes, hoping things would improve as the day progressed. While waiting for the teacher before the next class before recess, she turned to face Daisy.

"Are you feeling better? My friend Iratxe always says I'm good at listening," innocent June said.

Daisy snorted. "I don't like you, so I don't care if you can listen or not, or that Irania girl."

"It's Iratxe, not Irania; they're two different names," June corrected, knowing how much it bothered her friend Iratxe when she wasn't called by her name. "Don't worry, I know it's hard to pronounce; it means fern, and it's from the Basque Country."

"I don't care," Daisy crossed her arms. "Just leave me alone."

"I don't know what I've done to you, Daisy," said June. "Did I say something that upset you? I'm sorry, I didn't realize."

"I don't like you; I know what you're doing, and that's being a bad person. I don't like bad people, and I'm not friends with bad people."

"I'm not bad," June raised her voice, annoyed. Her whole life, as far back as she could remember, she had been told she was bad, and she wasn't. She didn't understand why Daisy was doing this to her.

"Yes, you are; you're a phony. You're not Scarlett Johansson's lost girl. What you're doing is wrong. How much money are your parents trying to get out of this?"

June tilted her head. "I don't understand."

"Yeah, I don't know who you are, but you're not who you say you are," Daisy insisted as if she knew something that June herself was unaware of.

June, who had struggled to confront and accept her identity, shook her head repeatedly. She wasn't Althea, and now Daisy was telling her she wasn't June either.

"I'm June Johansson," June replied.

"No, you're not," Daisy said.

"I am, I'm June Johansson," June insisted, nodding. "Mom told me."

"Who is your mom?"

"Scarlett."

"Lies! You're a liar," Daisy shouted.

"You're the liar!" June raised her voice. "I don't like you as a friend anymore, and I'm never going to hang out with you again." She crossed her arms, pressing her lips together.

Daisy pushed her when June didn't expect it, and she ended up on the floor. She didn't hit her head on the ground because her backpack cushioned the fall from the chair, as did the desk behind her.

The teacher entered, encountering the peculiar scene. "Girls, what's going on?" She approached to help June up, making sure she was okay.

"June won't stop bothering me," Daisy complained.

"Daisy, that's no reason to hurt a classmate. We don't push, understood?"

"I'm sorry," Daisy lowered her head. "But she won't leave me alone," she grumbled under her breath.

"June, don't bother Daisy," the teacher added.

June remained silent for the rest of the class. When the teacher left the room, bits of paper started raining down on her from behind, and when she looked, everyone was laughing, but she didn't know where it was coming from. Daisy, far from helping, ignored her again. June swallowed hard, holding back tears. She didn't like that school at all, and she didn't have her best friends to make her feel good, to make her feel less lonely, or to defend her.

In the playground, Rose arrived with such a broad smile that it seemed to embrace her. Her friends welcomed June warmly and even taught her some songs for skipping rope. She played the entire recess with them, forgetting the tough time she had had all morning.

When the recess bell rang, June wanted to go with her sister. In fact, she started following her, wishing to be in Rose's class and with her friends, who treated her well.

"June, you can't; my teacher will get angry, and you'll be late for your class," Rose said with a sympathetic expression. "We'll keep playing at home." She kissed June's cheek and went to class with her friends.

June had no choice but to return to her class, where all the looks she received were anything but friendly. Feeling smaller, she sat in her chair. Daisy arrived, smiling, chatting with other girls from the school, but when she sat next to June, silence and emptiness returned.

A teacher entered to begin the class. June, uncomfortable, shifted in her chair and cast periodic glances at Daisy. Her mind could only replay the conversation with Daisy, and she found no answers, only more confusion.

"Daisy, why did you say all those things to me?" she wanted to know, more like needed to know, because she felt lost.

Daisy rolled her eyes and shrugged. "Because it's the truth."

"It's not, I don't understand," June blinked, bewildered. "Mom Scarlett told me I'm her daughter. Why would she lie to me? And why would you know more than my mom, huh?" June countered.

Even Daisy was momentarily at a loss for words. Her gaze shifted to the rest of the class and then back to June. "Because you and your parents are lying to her, but you know what will happen when she finds out?" Daisy moved closer to June. "You'll go to jail," she finished with a whisper. "I don't like you, all of this makes you bad and ugly, you disgust me. So don't talk to me again; hopefully, you'll leave soon, and I won't have to see you in the rest of the class."

"You're being mean, Daisy. You're the one who is bad, and I won't be your friend either," June looked ahead. "I'm June, June Johansson," she repeated in a murmur.

She felt the burning of tears threatening to overflow, a mix of sadness and confusion squeezing her chest. The looks she received, Daisy's words, she didn't feel right there. She started to lack air, and pale, she got up from her chair and approached the teacher.

"I want to go to my mom," she requested with difficulty.

"Can't you wait until the class is over?" the teacher suggested, stopping his class.

June shook her head. "I need my mom," she asked again, and as the teacher took time to respond and a tear escaped, she ran out of the class, hearing the teacher calling after her.

June didn't look back; she ran down the hallway to the entrance door, finding it closed. That didn't deter her, and she continued trying to open it; tears covered her cheeks. In the end, a hand on her shoulder startled her; the teacher approached with initial annoyance, but upon realizing June's state, his expression transformed into genuine concern.

"It's okay, relax, breathe. Let's call your mother," he extended his hand for June to grab and led her to the principal's office to wait. Once Scarlett was called, the teacher could return to the class.

June sat in a chair that seemed immense for her small size, so she rocked her legs and body, trying to calm down. The principal cast occasional glances her way while working. Time passed so slowly that June started crying again, and as soon as she heard her mother's voice announcing her arrival, she threw herself into her arms.

Scarlett surrounded June with her arms, trying to console her. June's body trembled inconsolably, and Scarlett, gently, rubbed her back. Without pressing, she asked with tenderness, "What's wrong, sweetheart?" and covered her face in Scarlett's neck while continuing to cry.

June didn't respond; she simply covered herself with her mom so that no one could see her cry, and Scarlett didn't insist. She only took her daughter out of school, rubbing her back to calm her. "It's over, my sweet; maybe it was too soon. It's okay, June," she kissed her head.

Scarlett tried to put June in the car, but the girl wouldn't let go of her and didn't contribute to it, making Scarlett rethink what was happening to her daughter.

"Darling, so we can leave, I have to get you into the car," Scarlett whispered, kissing her head again.

June looked at the school building that she was beginning to hate and then at her mom; she let go to get into the car, wishing to leave as soon as possible. On the way, June didn't speak, and upon arriving home, she ran to her bedroom with her little ballerina mouse, lay down on the bed, covering herself up to her head. Scarlett, worried, burst into the bedroom, not understanding her little one's behavior but determined to find out what was wrong; her instinct told her that something wasn't right.

"June, honey, what's going on?" 

"Don't make me go back, please," June managed to say and emerged from the comforter. "Don't make me go, please; I'll behave very well and won't make a mess, I'll clean, but don't make me go back," her eyes were red from crying, and her nose was runny.

Scarlett opened her eyes and comforted her daughter in a warm hug. "Sweetheart, I won't make you go until you're ready," she kissed her forehead. "We'll bring the homework because I don't want you to fall behind," the idea of hiring a teacher for a few hours crossed her mind.

June didn't speak again; she simply refused to leave her room, even for meals. No matter how much Scarlett insisted, the girl refused to eat, claiming a stomachache, and spent the rest of the day crying. As Colin brought Rose home from school, Scarlett talked to Rose to see if she knew anything about what was happening to her sister, but Rose didn't know anything beyond the time she spent with her sister during recess when June seemed fine.

Scarlett managed to get June to have soup with the promise of going to the doctor. It was tough for Scarlett to see that something was wrong with June but that the little one wouldn't open up to her about it. The next day, she had an urgent appointment with the psychologist, who also couldn't get a word out of her and spent the entire half-hour drawing. Scarlett was on the verge of feeling guilty for taking her to school without being sure if her daughter was ready for it.

Rose tried to get her sister out of her room to play in the garden, but June wasn't up for it. It seemed like she had become a recluse, with her forehead always furrowed. Her dark circles remained as pronounced from not getting enough sleep at night; Scarlett herself began to have them due to having to go multiple times in the early morning or even sleeping with her daughter waking her up with her terrifying screams.

June emerged from her self-imposed seclusion on a Saturday at dinner time; Colin ordered pizza, and they were going to watch a movie. Seeing her little one, Scarlett brightened and gestured for her to come closer.

Somewhat shy, June approached with small steps. Before sitting down, she looked at her mom with uncertainty. "I'm June Johansson, right?"

Everyone turned to look at her at once. Scarlett smiled, "Of course, you're June Johansson, sweetheart."

June clasped her hands. "Do you really know that?" Her eyes were shining, on the verge of shedding a sea of tears.

Scarlett pulled her into her lap. "Of course, I truly know that you're my daughter. Have you looked at that little face?" She took June's chin and kissed every dear corner, making June laugh. "Remember the prick at the police station? The one Mom also got," Scarlett reminded her little one, and June nodded. "Well, those were special tests to determine if you're my daughter. I did it to bring you with me. And they confirmed what I already knew, that you're my girl. There's no mistake in that, June. Why are you asking all this now?"

June shrugged and averted her gaze, indicating that she was hiding something. Holding her chin, Scarlett gently turned her to look into her daughter's green eyes, waiting for an answer.

"At school, they told me I was lying and that I wasn't June," she pouted and started crying again. "So, if I wasn't Althea and I wasn't June either, I didn't know who I was anymore."

"No doubt, June, you're my baby," Scarlett kissed her little nose, and Scarlett comforted her. Colin looked at Scarlett with bewilderment, and Rose, too, stopped paying attention to her pizza. 

The night brightened as they watched a movie together as a family, with added popcorn.

On Sunday, Scarlett got the girls ready because Colin had the great idea of going shopping for some shirts he needed. Rose, always up for any kind of shopping as long as she got a share of it, encouraged June with her enthusiasm. In the car, Cosmo shared his drooled toys with June, who thanked him with a grimace, while Rose made a disgusted face directly.

"Girls, no running," Scarlett warned before they got out of the car. Each ended up with the obligatory cap and sunglasses. "Stay by Colin or me, Rose, you know: I don't want to see you running to the toy store," she reminded, pointing to her eldest daughter, who put a little smile on her lips.

"I promise, Mom. But will you buy us a toy, please?"

"Depends, we'll see, Rose," Scarlett smiled.

"A toy, Mom," said Cosmo.

"See what you're teaching your brother, Rose."

"I'm doing it, Mom. Don't thank me," responded a proud Rose, making June laugh. Scarlett looked at both of them with a serious expression, but she didn't bother hiding her own smile, something Colin didn't bother hiding either.

June's gaze shifted to the horse carousel; Rose approached her sister, hoping to go in and see what she could get their mother to buy her, until her attention also focused on the carousel.

"Mom, June wants to ride the horses. Can we?" Rose asked.

June blushed, looking at her sister, then at her mom, and seeing Scarlett hesitating.

"It's okay, Mom," said June, walking towards the shopping mall.

"Hold on there," Scarlett approached her daughter to take her hand, and they went to the carousel. "One ride, understood," she paid for the tickets, and the girls ran to choose the horse they wanted. 

Colin entered the scene like a whirlwind, ready to face the carousel. He observed Cosmo with a mix of determination and nervousness, as if he were about to engage in a fierce battle with the dreaded spinning pony. Not trusting his little one's ability to stand, Colin stood beside him, holding him as if he were about to participate in an acrobatic dance competition.

As the carousel began its dizzying journey, Colin's expressions ranged from a defiant smile to nausea-induced grimaces that could rival those of any circus comedian. His eyes widened, and his mouth oscillated between a nervous laugh and an expression of "oh no, why am I here?". He shook his head, making his short hair move in all directions, adding to the comedic spectacle.

While laughter erupted among the girls, Scarlett observed her husband's performance from the sidelines with a mix of disbelief and amusement. She shook her head, sighing with a knowing smile, as if she were accustomed to the antics of her peculiar life partner. Her husband was always ready to turn any situation into a unique experience, even if it meant turning an innocent carousel ride into a family comedy show.

Before the girls could want to ride again, Scarlett pointed towards the shopping mall, silencing any budding protests. They spent time exploring clothing stores, which soon bored all three children. Then, they decided to venture into the toy store, where each was allowed to choose a single toy, no easy task as the eyes of all three were drawn to everything they saw.

"One," Scarlett repeated playfully. "Time's up, girls."

Cosmo arrived excitedly with his box of cars, Rose, reluctantly, settled on a Barbie, leaving behind other options she also liked, and June chose a doll that ate and talked, something she had never had before.

"I'm hungry. Anyone up for Magdonald's?" Colin suggested, anticipating the response.

"Yes!" three child voices responded in unison.

"For today," Scarlett said. "Colin, they had pizza yesterday. I don't like them eating so much of this type of food; it's not healthy," she mentioned in a hushed voice as they headed to the establishment.

Some people began to recognize them, and Scarlett had to sign several autographs while Colin held the girls and Cosmo in his arms. Once at a table, Rose went to the playground with June following her, and Cosmo wanted to join his sisters, so they had to change tables to be closer to the playground and, consequently, the children's commotion.

"These places are ideal; they offer free hearing tests," commented Colin, receiving an elbow nudge from Scarlett.

June took Cosmo's hand to help him climb and slide down the slide. "Well done, Cosmo!" she applauded, eliciting laughter from her brother.

The laughter ceased when June spotted Daisy entering with an older woman by her side. She returned to the table with her mother, head bowed, to sit quietly. Colin rested his chin on the girl's shoulder in an uncomfortable position for him.

"Age doesn't forgive, does it, June? All that running shows and exhausts," remarked Colin, now in a lighter tone.

June tilted her head with a smile, not quite understanding what he was saying. "I'm not tired; I'm a kid, and you... experienced."

"Hey, I'm not old, just getting up there in years," Colin retorted, exaggerating a complaint.

June laughed. "You're not old; you're dad."

Colin smiled and planted a tender kiss on June's cheek. "Exactly, I'm your dad. Why don't you see daddy's girl having fun with Cosmo and Rose?"

"It's just that..." June sighed. "It's Daisy, and she's not my friend anymore. She was mean to me. She pushed me and said such mean things that hurt me here," she touched her heart and forehead with a saddened expression.

"From what I see, she's having fun, while you're here with a constipated face," commented Colin in a comical and affectionate tone. "Besides, you're not alone, June. You have mom, dad, and your siblings here with you," he added,

June frowned and hopped off the seat, looking at her parents. "You're right; I want to play. I don't want to stop playing just because she's over there having fun," she declared with her hands on her hips and ran towards where Rose and Cosmo were.

"Did you catch that wordplay?" Colin asked with a mischievous smile, receiving another elbow nudge.

"Thanks, Colin," Scarlett expressed her gratitude.

Colin kissed Scarlett's lips. "You're welcome. I love your daughters as if they were my own. Which leads me to ask you something, but feel free not to answer. It's about June's biological father."

Scarlett tensed for a brief moment. "He's not in the picture, and he won't be. As far as I'm concerned, as a father figure, I couldn't choose anyone better than you."

Colin accepted the response and returned his gaze to the children. Both Scarlett and he didn't like leaving them unsupervised for too long, especially outside the house, especially after what happened with June when she was a baby.

June slid down the slide, looking for her little brother amidst the laughter and commotion of the park. She ran towards him with a smile, finding herself face to face with Daisy.

"My brother was here first, don't rush him," June grumbled, taking Cosmo's hand to help him climb. "Take it easy, Cosmo."

"You lie to him too," Daisy replied.

"Alright, Cosmo, now onto the bridge," June smiled at her brother when she saw him happy to reach where he couldn't before. "Leave me alone, Daisy. Now, I'm the one who doesn't want to talk to you ever."

Rose appeared, sensing the tension in the air. "What's going on, June?"

"Nothing, Rose," June replied, climbing herself to follow Cosmo, who was waiting for her.

"Yes, something is happening. She lied to all of you; she's not June," Daisy told Rose. "And I'm sure she's after your mom's money."

Rose clenched her fists and looked at her sister. "June, go with Cosmo; he might fall." June nodded and ran to hold Cosmo's hand, fearing that another running child might knock him over. "Stay away from my sister," Rose was about to turn to follow her siblings and end the conversation there, but Daisy continued in her quest to expose June.

"I don't understand you. I'm telling you she's not your sister and that she's after your mother's money, and you don't care."

Rose, annoyed, pushed her. "I don't want you near my sister. And if you say those things again, I promise I'll be the one bothering you at school. She's my little sister, and I won't let you or anyone at my school hurt her again. You're absurd. You know nothing about my family, nothing about June. She's my sister. You're a ridiculous and silly girl. Didn't you know there are tests for that? My mom took one with my sister. If not, she would never have been able to bring my sister home."

Scarlett, seeing her eldest daughter push another girl, got up immediately and approached. "Rose, what's going on here?" 

Rose looked at her mother and then at Daisy. "It's the girl who gave June a hard time, Mom. And she wanted to bother June again. I told her to leave my little sister alone."

"Rose, go with your brothers. Dinner is on the table," Scarlett said without further comment. Rose, casting another stern glance at Daisy, walked away to join her siblings.

"Are you Daisy?"

"Yes," Daisy responded, surprised that Scarlett knew her name. "I just wanted to warn Rose. I thought she would want to know, that she's not her sister."

"I don't know where you got that from. I don't know if you heard it at home, but I dislike hearing that about my little one."

"Not at my house," Daisy shook her head.

"Well, whoever is saying such things might end up facing a serious problem. Do you know that spreading false information is very wrong? I don't know if you know what that word means, but spreading lies of that kind is considered a crime. So, whoever is spreading them or contributing to it might need to start being afraid because I'll have to report it to the police. I won't let them hurt my daughter, understand?" Scarlett said very seriously. "Do you know who it is?"

Daisy nodded. "James told me."

"Good, thank you, Daisy. I wouldn't have to tell you anything, but I don't like my daughter's identity being questioned. June is my daughter, I have more than enough evidence, and just seeing both of us would be a very noticeable proof. Okay?"

Daisy, completely embarrassed and red, nodded.

Scarlett left, receiving a glance from Colin. Scarlett shook her head, making it clear with her gaze that they would talk at home.

"Was that a full-fledged intimidation I witnessed?" Colin insisted in whispers, while the girls bit into their Happy Meal burgers and exchanged toys.

"Intimidation? Not at all," Scarlett responded, somewhat scandalized. "Did it seem intimidating?"

"A bit," Colin admitted. "What happened there?"

 "Just clarifying some matters," she shrugged. "But I wasn't that harsh," she added, convinced. 

Rose looked around for Daisy, determined to approach her during the recess the next day.

 Scarlett's phone vibrated in her bag. Upon checking, she noticed an incoming call from an unknown number. When she answered, an enigmatic voice said, "This is not over." The call abruptly ended, leaving Scarlett engulfed in a sea of mysteries.

Hi, lovely people! 🌼 How have you been these days? I hope everything has been great! I finally managed to get an update. I had a bit of a complicated few days, but don't worry, I won't let the stories be forgotten! 😊 Thank you so much to the new followers! I hope you enjoyed the reading. I'll strive to respond to all messages because I love it when you leave them, and I like to answer them all. As I always say, take care of yourselves and love yourselves a lot. See you in the next update! 🚀💖

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

12.3K 1.2K 27
With an uneasy peace with Duir born from a startling revelation, Madeline begins her third and final trial in the midst of a war that has been waged...
14.5K 612 26
Vallejo Series #1 Muffin Date Started: 12/27/2023 Ended: --/--/----
50.6K 1.5K 31
Something different than a typical story about a girl, whose parents die in a car accident and she gets adopted by a celebrity. Read and find out how...
199K 5.3K 56
Given away, neglected and then taken back. Sawyers's life takes a one-eighty when she goes from living on the streets to living with one of Hollywood...