Recall - Levi Ackerman x Fem...

By ObjectiveMacaroni27

CONTAINS AOT /// SNK SPOILERS!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~ When Captain Leah Anderson gets a message from an old friend... More

Chapter 1 - Captain Leah Anderson (Season 1)
Chapter 2 - The Battle Of Trost
Chapter 3 - The Episode
Chapter 4 - The Past
Chapter 5 - The 57th Recon Mission
Chapter 6 - Titan Shifter
Chapter 7 - Love
Chapter 8 - Trauma
Chapter 9 - Anger
Chapter 10 - The Raid On Stohess (End Of Season 1)
Chapter 11 - The Holy Man (Season 2)
Chapter 12 - Utgard Castle
Chapter 13 - The Kidnapping
Chapter 14 - The Smiling Titan (End of Season 2)
Chapter 15 - Spy (Season 3)
Chapter 16 - Wanted
Chapter 17 - Reiss Chapel
Chapter 18 - Queen Historia
Chapter 19 - Beast Titan
Chapter 20 - Victory
Chapter 21 - Titan Serum
Chapter 22 - The Basement
Chapter 23.5 - Happy Birthday
Chapter 24 - The Sea (End of Season 3)
Chapter 25 - Pillow Talk (Season 4)
Chapter 26 - Marley
Chapter 27 - The Raid on Liberio
Chapter 28 - Insubordination
Chapter 29 - The Restaurant
Chapter 30 - Jeagerists
Chapter 31 - A New Perspective
Chapter 32 - The Jaw
Chapter 33 - So Long, Hange
Chapter 34 - I've Got You
Chapter 35 - Centipede?
Chapter 36 - The Battle Of Heaven & Earth (Finale)
Epilogue
Author Note

Chapter 23 - Medal Ceremony

270 8 0
By ObjectiveMacaroni27

"Look, I just want to know if he was a good kisser?! It's not like I'm asking for the details." Hange pled Leah as they and Levi walked down the halls of Headquarters.

After one of the best sleeps in her life, Leah awoke in her bed, with her blanket drawn over her and her necklace shimmering like brand new in the early morning sun beaming down on her desk. She wasn't sure when Levi had left her last night, having fallen asleep on Levi's shoulder as soon as she shut her eyes again.

Leah returned to her duties feeling refreshed, attending a meeting first thing with Hange, Levi and Premier Zachary, during which they were informed of Queen Historia's arrival in Trost.

Now the trio were en route to the holding cells that restrained Eren and Mikasa for insubordination; while Leah understood that mutiny in the military was a punishable offense, she thought locking them up was nearing on the extreme side.

"I'm not talking about how good a kisser my dead bestfriend was." Leah shut down the invading query for the third time. "Pfft, what was I thinking, when I told you that we dated?"

"Drop it, Eyepatch. She's clearly keeping her lips sealed," Levi drawled before Hange could refute. The Commander groaned, "Fine, fine. But I should have you both thrown in the briggs for infringement of a superior officer."

Leah scoffed while Levi clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes. "I think the powers gone to your head already, Hange." Leah sighed exhasperatedly.

The brunette chortled manically and sauntered ahead. "Yes, maybe it has."

"I'm gonna kill them one day." Levi glowered as soon as Hange was out of earshot. Leah smirked slightly, "Now that's no way to talk about your Commanding Officer, Levi." 

-

The noirette tapped his knuckles against the mahogany door. "It's us." Levi claimed, loud enough to be heard from inside the room. After retrieving Eren, Mikasa and Armin and having them change into appropriate clothing for meeting with the Queen, the five Scouts headed directly to the office which Jean, Hange and her Majesty were already waiting.

"Come in." A male guard gave them the all clear from inside the room and Levi shouldered open the door to allow everyone to file in.

The room looked like your average meeting room, with tall glass windows at the far end, letting in the perfect stream of natural light, and a long dark oak table down the center at which Jean and the Commander sat.

Historia approached the newcomers immediately and Armin, Mikasa and Eren stooped into a bow. Leah nodded her head in respect, unsure of the procedures when it came to meeting the Queen.

"Oh, stop it, please. I'm not actually ruling yet. But wow, you've been through so much." Her gaze flitted from Scout to Scout with a hint of admiration.

"Meanwhile, I've done nothing but watch the South sky and wait."

"It's an important duty of yours, just to keep safe and well." Armin replied. Leah couldn't help but feel sorry for Historia; after all she'd been through, once again she was forced into a role she didn't wholly want. She offered the Queen a sympathetic smile.

Before long they all sat in the military courthall, surrounded on all angles by soldiers in a dull green coat. Leah shifted uncomfortably on her incommodious wooden chair, trying to position the tails of her jacket beneath her backside to offer to some cushioning.

The meeting had been a lot of old, white men arguing about whether or not the discovery in Grisha Jeager's basement was to be revealed to the citizens. Leah's opinion, which she'd been quick to express when called upon by Hange, was that the people had a right to know. After-all, the only reason they didn't was due to some weird mind control palava that Leah couldn't get her head around.

How the fuck do you brain-wash an entire population?

The red-headed Captain's knee bobbed impatiently, finding it unusually strenuous to sit still this long. After two days straight of action, it seemed her body was in withdrawal from the adrenaline. Her nails drummed the table before her until Hange's boot collided with the female's shin.

Startled, Leah's eyes shot up to meet Hange's gaze, which was critical. Immediately, the Captain sat erect and folded her arms, forcing the air out her lungs through her nostrils.

Following the court hearing, Leah broke off from Hange and Levi to spend her break between then and the oncoming medal ceremony with the remaining Scout squad, while her Co-Captain and Commander dealt with the newspaper companies.

"Jean, your hair is fine. Just stop touching it." Leah scolded, smacking his raised hand which repeatedly ran through his ashy hair.

"Okay, okay."

Leah gave her Scouts all an analytical once over. This was a big moment, to receive their medals of valor from the Queen, meaning they all had to look their very best. Her eyes snagged on Eren's shirt collar, part of which was caught on the collar of his jacket.

"Jeager. Fix your collar, please." Eren's eyes sunk as low as they could as his hands fumbled to correct the malfunction.

"...somebody has to speak the truth around here." Floch's voice carried over, the toxic tone making Leah's eyes narrow. Everyone's attention shifted to the redheaded boy, who glared back.

"Listen, I heard about what you did Floch; how hard you fought to ensure that Erwin would be revived..." Armin spoke out neutrally, taking a step forward. Leah's stomach twisted painfully at the mention of Erwin's name.

"That's right," Floch wheeled on Armin. "You should be dead, and Erwin should stand in your place." He growled, clenching his fists.

"Cadet, that's enough." Leah snapped.

He ignored her outright, his eyes trained on the blonde beside her. "I'm not alone in thinking that. All of us do. Everyone that read that report had the same thought, why wasn't Erwin the one that was saved?"

"I said, that's enough!" Leah put herself between the two boys, roughly placing a hand on Floch's shoulder. "You have no right to say these things. You didn't have to make that decision."

"No, your right. But if I was in your position, at least I would have made the correct choice." Floch countered, staring brazenly back at his Captain. Leah's face reddened in anger and her grip tightened on his shoulder, her fingertips digging in mercilessly.

"Now you listen here-"

"You're even worse than them. Captain Levi too."

"What do you know about Armin to justify saying all this?" Eren barked, storming up to Leah's side just in time to snap her out of the bright idea of punching this idiot in the face. "Not a damn thing!"

Leah jerked her hand away and secured them in her pockets. "Yeah, you're right. I'm not a childhood friend of his- hell, I'm not his friend at all! But I can still tell you why he's the one standing her now; it's because you two got emotional, and Captains Leah and Levi did the same. You made an irrational choice, you treated that syringe like it was yours and wasted it! He's alive because you think your friends are more important than the rest of us!" Floch spat.

Eren's teeth grinded audibly and he uttered a low growl. "Alright, I think it's time you shut your mouth." The two boys sized each other up and Leah was prepared to drag them apart.

"Eren. I bet even at your core you're always completely certain that your right, that's why you wouldn't give up. You're like a little kid that won't listen to reason."

The breath that escaped Eren was shaky and full of white hot fury, and Leah's hand quickly found his shoulder.

"Both of you stop." She hissed through clenched teeth. Her hand on Eren's shoulder managed to steer him away, but not before Floch could get in the final word.

"At least Mikasa acted like an adult out there. I saw her give up, in the end."

"Jeez, what the hell's wrong with you two?" Jean tried to defuse the situation, jumping in the middle of it all. "Floch, let's not do this during a memorial for our fallen comrades. And I recommend you get off your high-horse and remind yourself that Captain Leah's your superior officer and treat her with respect."

"Jean, it's okay." Leah sighed and met Floch's gaze with a hardened glare. "You're right. It was selfish of me not to save my bestfriend. What was I thinking, using the syringe on an intelligent, selfless young boy with more integrity than all of us combined?!"

"Hey- guys, what's done is done. So there's no point in dredging it up again. All due respect, Captain." Connie said, approaching the gathering.

Floch eyed Jean and Connie. "As for you two, you might not have acted against your superiors, but you didn't try and stop Eren and Mikasa either. You didn't do anything but watch." He continued. "Medals, for what? A memorial, for who? When you guys start rebuilding the Survey Corps, you better tell your recruits the truth, or else you'll just end up with cowards like me in the ranks. What the hell are we supposed to do now that we've lost Erwin? I know that I'm just fodder. I understand that my life is expendable, but still- I should get to call it like I see it. And to decide if this cause is worth dying for."

At every mention of Erwin, a swelling heat rose in Leah's chest as her fingers curled into a fist. "I think Floch is right. Commander Erwin's the one who should've been saved. Maybe he could've turned this situation around. I can't though." Armin muttered, keeping his eyes low. His shoulders slumped dispiritedly.

Eren placed a hand on his friends shoulder. "How can you be so sure of that? I don't know what choice was right so I won't pretend to. None of us know what the future might hold, I mean we can barely imagine. Think about it, if we rode straight from wall Maria, what would we find?"

"The sea." The blonde's blue eyes rose to meet Eren's, sparkling slightly at the idea of whatever the sea was.

"The sea?" Leah repeated quietly, looking to the cadets for help. Jean and Connie shrugged.

"Yeah, that's right! We'd find the sea. A place we've only dreamed about. Water that glows like fire, fields of ice, giant  rocks that take days to climb. How can we be sure of anything when there's so much that we haven't even seen yet? On the otherside of the wall, freedom is-"

Eren shut his mouth suddenly, his gaze growing distant and fearful. Levi, who had been listening from behind a pillar the whole time, made his way over. He stopped by his Co-Captain's side, noticed her tense fists and closed a hand around it, "Alright you brats, it's time. Quit giving your Captain grief and line up before I beat your asses." He grumbled moodily.

-

The Survey Corps milled around following the ceremony, waiting for Hange's words of dismissal. The Commander mingled, eagerly jumping from clusters of soldiers to introduce themself as 14th Commander of the Survey Corps. Absentmindedly, Leah rubbed the emerald medal that hung from around her neck, deep in thought about what Eren and Armin had spoken about.

Ironically enough, she'd never given much thought as to what they'd find outside the walls. Before the fall of Wall Maria, the Scout's aim had always just been to survive for as long as possible outside the walls and set up bases to make it easier for their next expedition. There was no real conspiracy, theories or plans as to what they were trying to discover.

But now, the mention of the sea invigorated Leah. She wanted to see the sea for herself. For Erwin. He'd died to discover this life changing information; boy was Leah going to make the most of it. She was going to explore the world to the fullest. Goosebumps of excitement erupted on Leah's forearms.

"Leah?"

Her hand, which had been caressing the gem-like medal in a habitual manner, froze cold as her verdant gaze slowly lifted to meet that of the familiar voice that chilled her core.

"Father?"

"Father?" Connie piped from off to the side, causing everyone's attentions to lock on Leah as they crowded around.

Leah's attention, however, was focused on the prudish, balding red-headed man that waited before her. His bronze beard was peppered with grey, his eyes sunken and skin wrinkled since she'd last seen him. But there was no mistaking that this was Leah's pig of a father. He'd gained at least double his weight since Leah had last seen him, a stark contrast to the gaunt man that had lived in Shiganshina.

Leah had tried her very hardest to avoid ever running into her father. Back when the Female Titan was at large, her biggest fear had been actually having to show face in Mitras and run the risk of seeing her Father walking down the streets. Her Father was the whole reason she refused to join the Military Police; Leah wanted to be posted as far away from Wall Sina as possible.

His clothes were otherworldly compared to what he used to wear. His rags and torn shirts were replaced with garments fit for a king. That's when it clicked. The golden wedding ring that adorned his left ring finger connected all the dots in Leah's head. He'd married into nobility.

"Married life must be treating you well." Leah commented snidely, looking the man up and down in disgust.

He scoffed pomously. "While you're still unmarried, I see. I always told your Mother you were too ambition, that no man would ever engage such a troublesome girl. I mean the military, for a woman?" He jeered, looking to Leah's comrades as if they would agree. There was a scattering of scoffs at the sexist remark.

When Leah just stared daggers back at him, her breathing growing irractic with anger, he continued. "I'm just saying, dear. It's a Father's right to worry after all. You're probably running out of time, aren't you? How old are you now? Thirty-something? Ha, ha, ha. Anyway, how's your Mother?"

That was Leah's final straw. She was ready to throw herself at him, bring all the pain to this man that he was due. The audacity that he mention her Mother in such a casual way after everything he put them through. She bristled with anger, prepared to spring forward, throw honour and pride out the window, and pummel this pretentious old man into the ground.

An arm curled around Leah's waist. "I suggest you educate yourself on how to properly address Military Veterans." Levi criticised, shooting the man an icy glare.

Leah's Father's eyes twinkled maliciously. "And who might you be? Are you my daughter's Captain? Commander?"

"I'm her Co-Captain."

Levi's protective and reassuring gesture backfired as her Father smirked. "Let me guess," His eyes twitched between the two Captains insinuatingly. "The whore put out to get a promotion?"

Gasps echoed around them and Leah's veins cursed with embarassment. This man was not her father. Not now, not ever. He'd lost that honour a long time ago. The grand Hall in which they stood fell silent and it seemed like every eye was on them. Leah heard the blood rushing in her ears as they burnt red-hot.

The man's words struck a chord with Levi. Whore. He'd heard the derogatory term used plenty of times, in plenty of situations. But never so unfairly as it was used now. He'd met men like Leah's Father before; men who thought themselves above all. The same type of men who spent their weekends paying vulnerable women like Levi's late mother for fleeting pleasure.

"You have no right to talk to Leah like that!" Mikasa spoke up, striking a match amongst her Corps. Angry shouts first stemming from their tight knit group filled the air, but soon nearby soldiers who had overheard the man's words and knew Leah someway or abouts, joined in.

"You're the scum of the earth!"

"Pig!"

"Leah was the best Captain I've ever had." A Garrison soldier barked.

"If you even look in Leah's direction again I'll turn into a titan and eat you right here, right now!" Eren screeched.

The torrents of abuse that Leah's father faced left him scarlet and backing away sheepishly. Soldiers began closing in, pointing accusatory fingers at the plump man.

"Get out of here, before we throw you out!" One man called. The small, but accumulating group cheered.

A tall, slim blonde woman rushed over in an awkward run, her heels clipping the marble floor. She gave Leah the stink eye as she whispered something in the man's ear.

The woman, at least ten years younger than Leah's father, tugged on his arm. "Come on. Let's leave." She urged huffily.

The anger, which had kept Leah composed until now, was waning. The overarching shame and embarassment was eating away at her stoic face as she felt a tremor work its way through her body.

"What's going on here?" Hange's voice hollered as the Commander weaved through the soldiers in a rush, just in time to see Leah's father retreating with the woman clinging to his arm.

The towering double doors to the hall swung shut behind them, and almost immediately murmurs filled the space. Leah's eyes darkened, watching where her Father just disappeared.

Hange looked around, desperate for someone to explain. Levi dropped his arm from around Leah and moved to grip her hand. "Come on. We're leaving."

Levi led his Co-Captain out a side door and in the direction of their barracks. He was shaking with unadulterated rage, expressed also in the vice grip he had of Leah's hand.

"Ow, Levi-" Leah complained, trying to wriggle her hand free. Levi stopped abruptly in the middle of a vacant hallway, lessening his grip.

"I'm sorry." He panted, halting a beat before continuing down the hall again, this time at a gentler pace which Leah could easily match.

After ascending a flight of stairs, the duo were walking down the high-ranking officers accommodation floor. Assuming they were heading to her room, or at least going to split ways now, Leah lingered at her door until Levi tugged her onwards.

A couple sets of doors down, Levi shouldered into a room and pulled them both inside. In a frantic search for something, Levi dropped Leah's hand and started rummaging around the room for something.

Dazed and confused, Leah's gaze travelled the bedroom. Everything was pristine, ordered and clean. The desk was so polished it gleamed, the bed so neatly made it looked like it had never been slept in. The warm scent of tea and soap which Leah had begun to associate with the black-haired man, met her sinuses. Levi stopped rummaging and sat on the edge of the mattress, grasping frilled white fabric in his hands.

Leah crept forward. "Recognise this?" His voice was taut, as he struggled to force out words. His fingers compressed the cloth as Leah peered down at it, trying to discern what it was.

"It's your cravat." She concluded before long, plopping herself down on the bed next to him. He nodded, stroking the fabric with his thumbs. "It was made from one of my Mother's shirts."

He bowed his head, "She was a brothel worker. When I was seven or eight she died from some disease, leaving me with nobody. No one cared. I don't think anyone even noticed. I stayed in the room for days, not knowing what to do. I didn't want to leave her- I couldn't leave her. I was weak as it were, despite my mother's best job to provide for me, and by the time someone stopped by her room I was just a pile of skin and bones.

"It was Kenny who came that day; came to check in on his sister and instead ended up leaving with a malnourished brat..." Levi grunted, "I'm getting side tracked. I- I just wanted to say, I've met plenty of men like your Father- I'm sorry for what he said- and I'm sorry that I did nothing about it- and- and-"

Leah touched a hand to his forearm, angling her body to face him. "It's okay. I'm... over it." While she wasn't sure how to word it, it was still the truth. What her Father had said meant nothing to Leah, nothing more than a comment from a stranger would.

"That man knows nothing about me, why should I let his assumptions affect me?" It turns out the journey from the ceremony hall to Levi's dorm had given Leah plenty of time to organise her thoughts. "Sure, I'm embarrassed. He caused a scene in front of all my comrades. But I'm okay."

Levi sighed in relief. "If I ever see him again I'm going to punch him in his smug face. Do you mind?"

Leah chuckled. "Not at all."

"What was he doing here today, anyway?"

"I can only assumed his new wife was a noble. I know the Queen invited a few for the ceremony."

Levi hummed. "I'm going to speak to Historia and get him ripped of his title."

"I'm sorry about your Mom." Leah muttered after a hesitant second. Levi folded the cravat on his lap and rose from the bed. "She was a nice woman." He said, pulling out a drawer and tucking it inside.

"I'm sure she was."

(3627 words)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.4K 220 63
(This fanfiction is being rewritten on a separate fic because of bad writing and story.) I'm a girl who just wanted revenge, with a secret past. He's...
97.6K 2.4K 23
She is a field medic for the Survey Corps - having only joined for one purpose. Aside from duties on the field; she assists her squad leader, Hange...
29.4K 1.3K 118
«Can I be your partner?» After an irreparable loss, a girl who was born and raised in the Capital Mitras joins the Survey Corps to do her part to sav...
427K 12.4K 80
SEQUEL IS OUT Fourteen years ago, before the fall of Wall Maria, Levi Ackerman joined the Survey Corps. Possessing the strength equal to a single bri...