Sunbeam

By thatpeakybauthor

Kezia was always there, a lot of the time Beatrice didn't notice, and when she did, she took it for granted... More

1) Friends?
2) Arrival of the brothers
3) Christmas Eve
5) Unrequited Love
6) Who?
7) Coming out
8) Again?
9) Love
10) The Fire
11) Pregnancy
12) Clean break
13) Billy Kimber
14) Freddie
15) Defeat
16) The Races
17) Done over
18) Painting?
19) Refurbished
20) How is she?
21) Take me seriously!
22) The Painting
23) The Wedding
24) Freddie's Arrest
25) Get out of the city
26) You're not mad
27) Arthur Senior Returns
28) Open up
29) Bad News
30) The Location
31) Bar Fight
32) I was naive
33) Clean table
34) Honoured as always
35) Shoot Out
36)
37)
38)
39) Artwork
40)
41) Ada's departure
42) The Bar
43) Lectures
44)
45) First Night
46)
47) Freddies Funeral
48) sister
49)
50)

4) I love you

357 19 0
By thatpeakybauthor

"Where's Dwight?" Theresa asks, looking around the blacksmiths before fixating her eyes on Kez who was stood in front of an anvil with a hammer.

"I don't know," Kez responds, "to me, he's in the same place as you were couple of weeks ago."

"He hasn't come back to Birmingham," Theresa says, "can't blame him, I didn't really want to, it's a shit hole."

"It's his home," Kezia states, slamming the hammer down, then glancing at Theresa, "he wouldn't have stayed away from his home, he's not you. He loves the place, you know he does."

"So you reckon he is dead?" Theresa questions.

"More likely than not," Kez nods.

"What're you doing?" Theresa asks.

"You are asking a lot of questions," Kezia hums, "Charlie needs new horseshoes for the mare."

"I've been gone a couple years," Theresa says, "I'm just intrigued by you."

"I haven't changed," Kezia states, "your words not mine."

"So Bea..." Theresa trails off.

"What about her?" Kez replies, focusing on shaping the horseshoe, tapping her hammer against the metal.

"She didn't seem too happy about my arrival, call it my ego, but I thought we were friends before I left," Theresa says.

"She was just in shock that's all," Kezia responds.

"It didn't seem like shock," Theresa states, "it seemed more like she was frustrated by my presence."

"If you're that concerned about her perception of you, it'd be better to ask her these questions," Kezia replies.

"I just thought you might know," Theresa says, flinching when Kezia slams the hammer down against the anvil.

"Why would I know, eh?" Kez responds, walking towards Theresa, "if you've got something to say to me, just fucking spit it out."

"Me? No I've got nothing to say," Theresa smirks, "actually, I might. You're sleeping with her, and based on this reaction, it's a lot more than just coitus to you."

"Don't say coitus," Kez responds, "who the fuck calls it coitus? That's just weird."

"So the biggest problem with what I've just said is that I used the word coitus? Nothing else for you to react to?" Theresa hums, "interesting."

"I'm not confused about my feelings," Kezia states, "I know exactly how I feel about Bea. Stop trying to play games, Tess, I don't need to be tricked into admitting anything, because I'm fully fucking aware of my own feelings."

"Not just coitus, then?" Theresa laughs.

"Stop saying coitus!" Kez exclaims, "the word grosses me out."

"I couldn't tell," Theresa shrugs innocently, "are you going to tell her? You know, about your feelings?"

"Why on earth would I do that?" Kez scoffs.

"Why wouldn't you?" Theresa retorts, "people enjoy being told they're loved."

"Really?" Kez replies.

"Of course, you idiot," Theresa says, "wait- you love her?"

"That's what we were just talking about," Kezia responds.

"I was just thinking you appreciated her more than physically," Theresa shrugs, "you love her? Truly?"

"I just told you I am not confused about my feelings, you don't need to double check," Kez mumbles.

"Why haven't you told her?" Theresa says.

"Because I don't want to screw it all up," Kezia replies, "there's a high probability she doesn't think of me romantically, she just enjoys me, you know what I mean?"

"I think you should tell her," Theresa states, "how long have you known?"

"Since before her birthday, a couple of months," Kez says, "what if she just shoots me down?"

"You've been having coitus for a year-"

"Stop saying coitus." Kez demands.

"With your attitude and bluntness, no matter how much she 'enjoys' you, she would not have put up with it if she felt nothing for you," Theresa says, "tell her."

"I've hinted it," Kezia replies.

"Kez, only a psycho would pick up whatever hints you've put down, your charm is that you are unattainable asshole, not that you are good at expressing things subtely," Theresa states, "what hints?"

"I got her a necklace with a heart pendant for her birthday- I don't buy anyone gifts on their birthdays. She's the first," Kez says, "and Al Jolson."

"Al Jolson?" Theresa repeats.

"Yeah, she and Ada would get drunk and sing his songs, her favourite is 'you made me love you' that would always be the first she sang when she got drunk," Kezia replies.

"What sort of person would pick that up!" Theresa exclaims, "and if she had picked it up, why wouldn't she have brought it up, eh? Kez, your hints were futile."

"You really think I should tell her?" Kez asks, walking back over to the anvil, grabbing the horseshoe.

"I do," Theresa nods, "personally, I think she's been smitten ever since she laid eyes on you."

"Fine," Kez sighs, "I'll find her after I've dropped these to Charlie."

"Don't go looking too far," Theresa says, "she's picked up a few shifts at the Garrison, it's busier nowadays, Harry needed the help, so she offered."

"Right, thanks," Kez nods, "wish me luck."

"You don't need it, she loves you, I know it," Theresa says, "and deep down, you do too. You know she loves you, Kez."

"I know, but it doesn't make it any less of a daunting task," Kezia responds.

"Don't call it a task, that is so unromantic," Theresa scoffs.

-

"Bea, can I talk to you out back?" Kezia asks, leaning against the bar.

"Not here," Bea states.

"I actually want to talk," Kez responds, "I mean it, my hands will be kept to myself."

"Whenever someone says they want to talk it's usually bad news," Bea says, gesturing for Kez to come behind the bar and into the back room.

"Well, you can decide whether it's a good or bad thing," Kez mutters, following her and closing the door.

"You're worrying me," Bea states, "what's going on in that head of yours?"

"Actually, it can wait," Kezia grumbles.

"Don't you even think of walking out this room without telling me why you asked me to come in here," Bea warns.

"You're hot when you're mad at me," Kez laughs.

"We've established that," Beatrice says, "talk to me, Kez."

"Well I- I've been thinking," Kez starts nervously, as Bea stares up at her expectingly.

"You and I, we've been enjoying each others company for more than a year, and I realised something a couple of months ago. It was one of those times you were getting mad at me because you thought I thought of you as a thing to pass time, and well-"

"I was right," Bea states, cutting Kez off. She knew what was going to leave Kez's mouth and she was not ready for that discussion.

"No, you're completely wrong," Kez replies, "I love you, Bea. I'm in love with you."

"This is a cruel joke," Bea states, going to walk away.

"I'm not joking," Kez says, stopping her.

"I know, Kez," Bea responds, "and I don't think this is the right place to talk about this. I've known for a while. I guessed after the birthday present, and then Al Jolson. You've never quoted any song I sing when drunk, and you chose to quote you made me love you."

"If you knew, why haven't you said anything?" Kezia asks, "and remind me to never listen to anything Theresa says again."

"Theresa?" Bea repeats.

"She told me only a psycho would pick up on my hints," Kez says.

"So I'm a psycho?" Bea responds.

"No," Kez states, "we're getting off topic, if you've known for months that I love you, why have you not said anything? Unless... oh."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280K 7.1K 51
If anyone in Birmingham had asked Polly Gray when the ice around Thomas Shelby's heart had started to melt, she'd say it was the day Maude Felton cam...
12K 236 14
๐–๐€๐‘๐๐ˆ๐๐†: i wrote this when i was young and immature so my writing in this is terrible so i apologise in advance. โHave I ever told you that yo...
55K 823 29
He told her to get out while she still could. She ignored his warning and came back. In reality he was happy she was home.
746K 21.1K 50
Dorothy Monroe is a petite woman with a heart too big for her chest. She's pure, kind, she looked at the world and determined all the colours of natu...