Legacy Project

By escapetounknown

Piper McLaren was 3 when she first got behind a steering wheel. It was in her blood. It was her legacy. Bruce... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17

15

622 18 13
By escapetounknown

On Monday, Piper did what she always did on a post-race Monday. Sleep, coffee, read, etc. Just rest and regroup. Her Tuesday was far less relaxing. She went for a run along the coast and then headed back to the flat to have a quick shower before going to meet Charles. He had organised for his mother to fix Piper's hair, and get all the dye out, and he was going to meet her outside the coffee shop around the corner from his mother's salon.  

"Hey Pip, I got a coffee for you, seeing as you were running late."

"Sorry, I met Lando outside the apartment building, he was feeling very talkative."

"It's fine, I just don't want to be late for Maman."

"Then what are we doing just standing here?" Piper said, grabbing the coffee out of his hand.

It was a five-minute walk to Pascale's salon, which Piper complained about the  whole time. Piper hung back while Charles greeted his mother. 

"Piper, ça va? Oh gosh, we fix this hair maintenant!"

"Is it really that bad?" Piper said with wide eyes.

"It's not you, chéri. It does not suit your aura, but I will fix " she said, taking her hand and leading her towards the chair. Piper turned around and looked at Charles scared. Charles just shrugged, mouthing at least it's free.

"So, how long have you been cutting hair?" 

"A long time, too long to remember. Charles only gets good haircuts from me, ah Charles" She said looking over her shoulder.

"Is the red coming out? Please tell me the red is coming out! I can't show up to this prada meeting looking like a clown."

"It is, and even if it wasn't you'd be a pretty clown, Chéri" Pascale said as shhe rinsed her hair.

"MAMAN" Charles shouted.

"Quoi? Elle serait une jolie clown, elle est très jolie!" Pascale laughed.

(What? She would be a pretty clown, she is very pretty!)

"Maman, elle parle français."

(Mum, she speaks french)

"oh oups, I hope I didn't embarrass you, Piper." Pascale giggled.

"No, it's fine Pascale, thank you!"

"You can call me Maman, Pierre does, all Charles' friends do"

"Is it okay if I stick to Pascale for now, my mother would slap me if she knew I wasn't calling you Mrs Leclerc."

"Ah, you've been raised well, unlike Pierre, I think that boy wants to sleep with me" Pascale said confidently.

"Maman, c'mon!" Charles said putting his head in his hands embarrassed.

Pascale wouldn't let Piper look in the mirror until she was completely finished. She had given her a quick trim and blow dry after getting all the red out. 

"Voilà, do you like?" Pascale said showing Piper her hair in the mirror.

"Wow, Pascale, thank you so much!"

"Those Prada ladies will love you, it looks great!" Charles said enthusiastically.

"What are you doing for the rest of the day, Piper?" Pascale asked with a quizzical look.

"Nothing, I'm just going to go to the supermarket."

"Ah, non, Charles, go show her the dolphins! Do you like dolphins Piper? Charles can take you on the boat."

"Oh, I don't want to be a hassle" Piper said at the exact same time as Charles said "Maman, Piper doesn't want to spend all her time here with me, she has other friends!"

"Nonsense, she needs to see the dolphins, go, go!" Pascale said shooing the pair out of the salon, "I will see you both at mine tomorrow, yes?"

"Yes, Maman." Charles called.

The pair walked down the road a little, before Charles broke the silence, "We don't have to go out to the boat, if you don't want to."

"I mean I don't have better plans, and I do love dolphins, but if you have better plans."

"No, lets do it. We'll stop past the apartment and get your swimsuit, then if we find some dolphins you can swim with them."

"Awesome, this is going to be so cool!" Piper squealed.

---------

"You said boat, I wasn't expecting a yacht."

"In Monaco, this is a boat!" Charles said defensively.

"Yeah well in Auckland, that's a yacht."

"Shut up, do you want to see dolphins or not."

Piper stepped onto Charles boat, following him up to the helm. They sat in silence for a while just watching Monaco fade into the distance.

"Once I get Ferrari driver rich, I'm buying a boat in Auckland. I like boats!"

"Wait till you see the dolphins along the coast." Charles laughed.

"Okay! I'm going to get changed just in case." Piper said going below deck. She pulled off her clothes and putting on her bikini, then pulling her shorts back on. 

"This boat is bigger than my grandma's house, just thought I'd tell you that. You know, so you could bask in your richness."

"Okay, you're Bruce McLaren's granddaughter, it's not like your family don't have money."

"My dad has all the McLaren money, Mum, Sam and I didn't have much. Dad paid for my racing and nothing else. It's whatever.""

"Oh, fuck. Sorry for asking." Charles said embarrassed.

"It's fine you didn't kn-" Piper stopped before squealing, "CHARLES, IS THAT A DOLPHIN!" 

"Where?" Charles asked confused.

"Over there, look, in that cove." 

"Okay, lets go swim with some dolphins" Charles smiled broadly.

Charles and Piper spent an hour swimming with the dolphins, before they went back out to see.

"Oh my god," Piper said, pulling her hair back off her face, "that was the best experience ever."

"I'm glad you liked it, are you hungry? There's food in the fridge, and we watch the sunset if you want."

"Sure, as long as you also have beer" 

"Of course" Charles laughed going below deck.

He came back up with a plate of food and four beers, "I figured one probably wasn't enough."

Piper started chowing down on some cold pizza. She lay back and looked at the sky, which was slowly changing colour.

"You're so lucky to have grown up here. It's so beautiful." Piper said, turning her head to look at Charles.

"I know," he said smiling, laying back and looking at her, "What's New Zealand like, I thought it was supposed to one of the most beautiful places in the world."

"Yeah, it is," Piper sighed, "I just didn't have time to appreciate it growing up. I left when I was young, I was 15. Even before that, I didn't get to travel outside of racing, and even then I had to be back in time for school on Mondays. But Auckland can have it's beautiful moments, and I usually go down to Queenstown for New Years, but I wish I could see more."

"I want to go there one day, maybe you can show me around and see some more yourself." Charles smiles.

"Sure thing Charlie Boy." Piper said lifting her beer bottle. "What should I wear tomorrow? I'm assuming I'll have to change after my Prada meeting".

"Just jeans and a t-shirt, if you don't have time, you can get changed at Maman's."

"Awesome, how far away is your mother's? Will I need to get a car?" 

"It up the hill a bit, I can pick you up from your meeting. Where is it?"

"I'm meeting them at the Prada shop to pick up some clothes, then we're going to the hotel up the street."

"Oh, the Hotel de Paris, cool, I'll pick you up there" Charles said clapping his hands.

----------

"The hair is giving Dakota Johnson, I love it!" Jane, Piper's PR manager said, giving her hair ruffle.

"I look so sparkly!" Piper laughed looking at the rhinestone top she was wearing. Prada had given her 10 bags worth of clothes, and had dressed her for the day. The rhinestone crop-top, the black mini-skirt, and some knee high heeled boots, all Prada. Piper looked so un-Piper, but she really liked it. She was always going to be a casual girl, sneakers and jeans over everything, but she could enjoy this at least. 

"How exciting is it that we got the deal, I mean, I'm going to have such an expensive wardrobe, Dior, Versace, and now Prada," Piper said looking at her watch, "I should go, Charles is picking me up in 5 minutes. "

"Piper, you and Charles, anything I need to pre-empt?" 

"No ma'am, we're just really good friends. His mum invited me to dinner, it's nothing special. Now I've really got to go" Piper said walking out of the Hotel reception. She walked down the steps, and immediately knew where Charles was. She couldn't actually see him, but there was a massive crowd, all wearing Ferrari merch. 

Charles 

I'm assuming that's you behind the sea of red?

Yes, sorry! As one of the security guys to shift some people so you can at least get in.

"Excusez-moi monsieur, j'ai besoin de me rendre à cette voiture, pouvez-vous déplacer les gens pour moi?" Piper politely asked the security guard who was leaning against the wall of the hotel entrance.

(Excuse me sir, i need to get to that car, could you move the people for me)

"Bien sûr, Madamemoiselle" The security guard said jumping to action.

(Of course, miss)

He cleared a path for Piper, barking angrily in french, guiding her to Charles car. The fans crowding Charles car began to realise the woman was Piper, and began calling to her. She quickly opened the door of Charles Pista Spider, and slid into the passenger seat, pulling the door shut. Charles locked the car doors and started the engine.

"You look... flustered." Charles laughed, before looking to the road and pulling away from the curb.

"I thought you were going to say I look nice."

"Yeah, that too I guess." 

"I'm gonna take my make up off while we drive, or are you funny about liquids in your car."

"No it's fine"

Piper pulled makeup remover and a few cotton pads out of her bag. "I hate wearing all this make up during the day, it feels so gross. What's wrong with my natural face, Prada wanted me to hae a full face and hair done for the partnership announcement shoot."

"Mmm, couldn't tell you. thats above my pay grade," Charles laughed. "It is a very flashy outfit for 4 in the afternoon. It's not really you. Like I wouldn't expect you to wear this type of stuff during the day."

"I know, I mean I like it, but I don't feel like everyday Pip, you know."

"If it makes you feel better, I prefer the original daytime Pip to this, this should be cocktail evening Pip. Like you look nice, but regular Pip is who I'd rather see everyday."

"First Chauffeur Leclerc, now Stylist Leclerc."

"I'm willing to bet that Maman is going to make a comment about what they've done to your hair," he paused, "Ah Cheri, what have they done to you? Your head is not a rats nest" he mimicked his mother.

"It does look like quite a mess. I can't wait to get out of these clothes!" Piper laughed.

"Well, we're nearly there."

Piper looked out the window as they rolled up a driveway to a moderate sized house, with the most beautiful gardens, it must have been 1 or 2 acre. It was all wildflowers, fruit trees, lavender, roses, and lawn. "Wow, this is beautiful!" Piper turned to Charles smiling.

"Tell Maman that, she did it all herself." Charles laughed point to the front door where his mother stood waving.

"Piper! Hello Cheri, ah look at you, you look ready for a party." She pause before looking at her hair and gasping "what have they done to you? Mon dieu, its a rats nest". 

Charles snorted from behind Piper, whispering "Hah, I win"

"Pascale, would it be alright if I change quickly. I need to get out of these clothes!" Piper asked timidly.

"Of course, come come, the others can wait! The bathroom is just down the hall on the left, I'll come in a minute and fix this." She said gesturing to Pipers hair, "Now where is my heavy duty brush." She fussed, digging through her bag. Piper looked at Charles, who rolled his eyes, and gestured down the hall.

Piper got changed into a pair of baggy blue jeans and a navy and white striped jumper. Piper opened the door to Pascale standing outside with a massive brush. Within 3 minutes, she had untangled it, and it looked sleek and beautiful again.

"Thank you Pascale, it looks beautiful!" Piper said hugging her, "you are my saviour."

As Pascale led Piper through the living room out into an outdoor dining area where Charles was talking to his brothers and a girl, who was about Piper's age.

"Ah here she is, you look much more like yourself" Charles said smiling widely, grabbing Piper from his mother and bringing her over to sit with the others. "This is Lorenzo, my older brother, you already know Arthur, and then this is his girlfriend Carla," Charles introduced warmly.

"Hello, I'm Piper." Piper said shyly.

"Oh, we know!" Lorenzo laughed giving her a pat on the back, "I still can't believe you roasted Charles so well on the radio. Pepe le Peu is the best thing I've ever heard. How did you come up with that?"

"It's a common thing in New Zealand, I think. My family say it about french people a lot."

"But I'm not french!" Charles groaned, exaserbated.

"I know, that's why I said it!" Piper laughed.

Charles frowned, crossing his arms, "can you please tell them about the first time you met Arthur, so we can laugh at him, not me!" 

"No, please, no" Arthur begged, "I was tipsy and I'm still very embarrassed."

"What'd you do!" Carla laughed.

"Well, first he called New Zealand Narnia, and then he had no idea who I was and questioned why I knew the drivers, before calling me the girl" Piper explained, giggling and putting air quotes around the girl. Everyone except Arthur had tears in their eyes from laughter.

After the five young people had been chatting for an hour, Pascale poked her head out of the sliding door to the kitchen. "Charles Leclerc, I thought I taught you better than this. Don't be rude, and show Piper around," she chastised, causing Charles to immediately jump up.

"Come on Pip, I'll show you round the garden and then I'll show you the rest of the house." Charles laughed, grabbing her arm and pulling her behind him. He led her towards a small grove of little trees.  "Do you want a peach?" Charles asked pulling one from the nearest tree.

"Wow, this is idyllic, yes please." Piper grabbed it from his hand.

"Yeah, it's maman's pride and joy" Charles laughed.

"Not you boys? Valid"

"Harsh, Pip, real harsh" Charles scoffed.

"C'mon, I'll take you to my favourite spot in the garden" Charles walked off, into a small secluded area."Do you like sunsets?"

"What kind of a question is that, who doesn't like sunsets."

"Max, he hates them. Says they're too bright or something."

Piper laughed, following Charles into a small clearing, "Holy shit, this is like, breathtaking." Piper said sitting down, looking out from the cliff face, dangling her legs. She could see the whole of Monaco, and could see them finishing up the race track for media day the following day. "No wonder you love this place so much."

"Yeah, I used to come out here all the time. I'd just read, and chill here. Dad and I would come out here a lot too. This is his tree." Charles pointed behind him to a big oak tree.

"His tree?" Piper questioned.

"Yeah, he and Maman planted it the day they got engaged. It's 30ish years old. I come here to talk to him sometimes."

Piper, who sometimes really struggles with comforting people, pulled her lips into a sad smile, looking at Charles, "you talk to your dad more than I do, and mines still alive."

Charles laughed and Piper's eyes went wide, "Oh my god, I'm sorry! That was so insensitive."

"It's fine, don't worry about it." Charles stood up, pulling her up, "want to see the rest of the house now?" Piper nodded in response, following him back. Charles led Piper through the front door, and straight up the stairs. The wall lining the staircase was covered in photos, documenting the life histories of the Leclercs.

"Wow, you look like a minion." Piper laughed, pointing to a picture of young Charles standing in a bright yellow racesuit.

Charles put his head in his hand, "I've begged her to take it down but she wont budge". 

Piper smiled at him, before taking in some more pictures. There was a few of Charles' parents on their wedding day, one of each boy as a baby, lots of photos of them on podiums, and a couple of Jules Bianchi. There was also a vert dorky picture of Pierre and Charles with bowl cuts, smiling arm in arm, presumably on holiday somewhere, which Piper took a picture of to send to Emma. She also notice a whole section of wall that was entirely blank. She looked from it to Charles curiously.

"Well, she needs space for more photos. When we get married, have children, you know."

"WE" Arthur cackled from the bottom of the stairs. "I didn't know you guys were that close!"

"Shut up" Charles laughed, while Piper pointed to a photo of Arthur menacingly.

"See this adorable photo of you in a nappy, covered in what I can only pray is chocolate, I have no shame in sharing it to the F1 group chat, and even possibly Instagram." 

Arthur held up his hands in surrender, walking off to the bathroom. Charles continued bounding up the stairs, leading her into a bedroom to the left.

"Oh my god. You had a red race-car bed. You really are the destined Ferrari boy."

"Yup, slept in that thing till I was 18 and moved out." Charles laughed, looking at the girl jumping on his bed, "you're just a fully grown toddler hmmm"

"Says the boy with the race-car bed" Piper poked her tongue out at him. As she jumped, a small teddy fell off the bed. Piper left off and picked it up, "whose this then"

"Julio" Charles smiled, taking the bear from Piper's hands and looking down after it. "Papa gave it to me after Jules' accident, I used to take it to the hospital in Nice when I went to sit with him. I know its odd that a 17 year old had a bear, but I -"

"Charles, I'm 19 and I have a stuffed bear. Trust me I'm not judging you."

"Thanks Pippy. Come on, there's one last room I want to show you." Charles laughed, placing julio back on the bed and walking down the hall.

"Oh wow, you wanted to gloat? I get it, I have no F1 trophies" Piper grumbled as she took in the shelves of trophies. 

"I mean, this is my fifth year in F1, you've still got time. Plus some of these are from junior series, and some are Arthur, Lorenzos and Papa. I think Maman might even have a hair dressing one somewhere in here." Charles peered behind the bigger trophies on the closest shelf.

"Do you have a piece of paper and pen?" Piper rummaged through the desk in the centre of the room. Charles pointed to the bottom draw, and Piper pulled out a single sheet. She whipped out her finest origami skills, folding the paper into a little trophy. She took a pen and wrote something on it.

"You were missing one" Piper handed the small paper trophy to Charles.

Charles looked down at it, reading the small inscription, Piper's favourite F1 driver (other than herself), and on the back it said and her best friend in the paddock, P x. Charles through an arm around her, "Thank you Pippy, I'll put it in front of the Monza trophy." He squeezed her lightly. 

Charles took a photo of the small trophy in its prime spot, before posting it to his story with the caption "Piper's trophy has overtaken the Monza trophy for top spot".

"That will get some Tifosi angry..." Piper threw her head back laughing.

"Char, Dinner is ready. Maman will be annoyed if you don't come now!" Lorenzo shouted from the bottom of the stairs.

Pascale had cooked an amazing dinner, and Piper was so grateful Charles had included her in this. Arthur made some comments that their trainers wouldnt be happy about all their food they'd eaten. Piper's eyes went wide, screaming "DON'T TELL EMMA". 

Charles laughed, "I think she's a bit distracted tonight."

Piper squinted, "What do you know...:

Charles leaned back, peering back at her, "What do you know?"

"I think you know what I know, but if I tell you what I know and you don't know, then I will be murdered." Piper rambled.

"Oh my god stop, you two hurt my brain," Lorenzo moaned, with his head in his hand, covering his ears.

After dinner, the young ones went back outside to drink some wine. The boys put some music on, and Carla pulled Piper to her feet dancing with her. Eventually Charles started dancing with them, before Carla sat back down next to Arthur. Arthur and Lorenzo were watching Piper and Charles closely, curious about their friendship, watching Charles spin her around, and beaming down at her while she squealed with laughter. They ended up making a bet about when Charles will realise he likes Piper. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 19 13
When unexpected heartbreak forces a 23 year old girl to move back to Monaco, she unexpectedly rekindles her childhood friendship with F1 driver Lando...
44.9K 777 40
Hi, i'm Mia Verstappen. Yes, Verstappen as in the younger sister of Max verstappen and this is my story! Disclaimer: the book does not follow the rea...
41.3K 728 65
Stella Verstappen, the sister of the renowned Max Verstappen, made a life-altering decision to relocate to the United States, driven by her passion f...
20.4K 485 63
Three best friends have been there for each other since their 12th. Sienna is the little sister of Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz, she's a feisty girl w...