Recall - Levi Ackerman x Fem...

By ObjectiveMacaroni27

CONTAINS AOT /// SNK SPOILERS!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~ When Captain Leah Anderson gets a message from an old friend... More

Chapter 1 - Captain Leah Anderson (Season 1)
Chapter 2 - The Battle Of Trost
Chapter 3 - The Episode
Chapter 4 - The Past
Chapter 5 - The 57th Recon Mission
Chapter 6 - Titan Shifter
Chapter 7 - Love
Chapter 8 - Trauma
Chapter 9 - Anger
Chapter 10 - The Raid On Stohess (End Of Season 1)
Chapter 11 - The Holy Man (Season 2)
Chapter 13 - The Kidnapping
Chapter 14 - The Smiling Titan (End of Season 2)
Chapter 15 - Spy (Season 3)
Chapter 16 - Wanted
Chapter 17 - Reiss Chapel
Chapter 18 - Queen Historia
Chapter 19 - Beast Titan
Chapter 20 - Victory
Chapter 21 - Titan Serum
Chapter 22 - The Basement
Chapter 23 - Medal Ceremony
Chapter 23.5 - Happy Birthday
Chapter 24 - The Sea (End of Season 3)
Chapter 25 - Pillow Talk (Season 4)
Chapter 26 - Marley
Chapter 27 - The Raid on Liberio
Chapter 28 - Insubordination
Chapter 29 - The Restaurant
Chapter 30 - Jeagerists
Chapter 31 - A New Perspective
Chapter 32 - The Jaw
Chapter 33 - So Long, Hange
Chapter 34 - I've Got You
Chapter 35 - Centipede?
Chapter 36 - The Battle Of Heaven & Earth (Finale)
Epilogue
Author Note

Chapter 12 - Utgard Castle

333 11 0
By ObjectiveMacaroni27

The image as the Scouts rode into Ehrmich made Leah's chest tighten uncomfortably and a sick feeling grow in her gut.

An endless sea of men, women and children flowed listlessly down the streets. The cries of children rung in the air. Every second Leah spent stood on the sides watching faces past was a second longer she was forced to think back to the day when she was in their position.

What I'd have given to have seen your face in the crowd back then, Isaac. She thought to herself as the crowd continued.

Not everything got better after Leah had made it onto the boat after the breach 5 years ago. Once the long and painful journey had ended she was pushed off the boat by the moving bodies around her and forced down the streets. They were now all homeless.

The hideous face of that titan was branded in her mind, there every time she closed her eyes. Leah knew then that she could never go back to the Scouts.

While she was recuperating with the rest of the refugees from Shiganshina a familiar face located her. It was her Commander at the time, Keith Shadis.

But the shock was setting in and her body was just an empty shell of who she was before the breach. As soon as Leah found her words she requested an immediate transfer. Anywhere but the Scouts.

-

"Anderson, are you alright?"

Levi's hand gripped Leah's shoulder and she glanced back at him, finally managing to tear her eyes off of the sights before her. She blinked a couple times before answering.

"Fine, I was just thinking about when that was me. The day titans forced us out of Shiganshina was one of the worst days in my life... tied with the day I had to start working with you, of course." She joked dryly.

Levi's hand left her shoulder. "Very funny. Now let's go before you start having one of your freaky flashbacks again."

The moment Leah was out of view of the refugees was like a weight was lifted off her chest and she could breathe again. Levi led the way through the temporary Scout grounds towards where Hange and the rest of their group were waiting, pushing Pastor Nick roughly ahead of them. "Keep it moving, Holy man."

Levi took the short time to explain to Leah what was discovered on the cart journey and what the plan going forth was. Leah knew the aim: Erwin had always wanted to reach Eren's childhood home in Shiganshina and go into his Father, Grisha Jeager's, basement to discover the secrets of the titans.

The new catch was something called titan hardening. They'd seen it at work with Annie, the crystalized substance she could produce was quite unbreakable which made it perfect for sealing the breach in Wall Maria. Even better, the material didn't dissolve once Eren, or any titan shifter, had left their titan form and become human again meaning it could permanently seal the gate. From there it would be simple: kill all titans remaining in the wall or pray for a safe passage to Shiganshina. But at this time the plan had entailed so many ifs and buts and so many unknowns, it didn't seem feasible to Leah.

"Wow... so you really think Eren can control the hardening ability to that extent?"

The idea itself had been fascinating but once Levi's words had settled in, she found herself doubting Eren's strength. They didn't even know if he could harden like Annie. Levi shrugged.

"We better hope so. There's not really any back-up plans."

"Well, no pressure at all."

A familiar silence rose between the pair, but they soon reached a row of arches moments later that led to where the rest of their ragtag squad was conversing. Leah watched on as Hange spoke enthusiastically with Moblit about something they couldn't quite hear. As they approached the few steps that led up to their squad, Levi paused and turned to look pointedly at Pastor Nick. "Hey, Holy Man. Go to Hange, tell her Leah and I will be there in a minute. And don't even think about trying to run off, I'll be watching."

Nick narrowed his eyes at Levi and then Leah before scampering over to where Hange, Moblit and a collection of the 104th cadets were gathered. Levi's eyes followed his movements until he was satisfied that Nick wasn't getting away. He glanced around them before taking Leah's sleeve and pulling them to a gap between a wall and a stack of wooden crates. "We need to talk." Leah furrowed her brow and leaned against the brick wall. "What is it?"

"I don't know what's going to be waiting for us outside these walls," Levi said in a low voice. "But I can't go." Her eyes widened and she leaned in towards him. "What do you mean you can't go? You told Erwin-"

"I know. But I can't." He let a hand rest on his thigh and winced slightly as he shifted his weight. "I'll only do more damage."

"I'm going." Leah said stubbornly. She could tell where this conversation was going by the look in Levi's eyes; vulnerability twinkled in his pupils, he was going to try and appeal to Leah's sensitive side. He was going to advise her to stay too. And she couldn't do that. "But you're hurt-"

"I'm staying with Eren, Mikasa and Armin. They need someone to look out for them. It's my responsibility as their Captain." Leah cut him off and made to walk away but Levi grabbed her wrist. When she met his gaze he was giving her a pleading look. "Leah..." After a pause, Levi sighed and looked at his feet, relaxing his grip on her wrist and dropping his hand to his side. "Break another bone out there and I'll kill you. Got it?"

A chuckle rose in Leah's chest. "Got it."

"And don't even think about dying out there. There's something I want to talk to you about when you get back."

-

Levi and Leah strolled over to the rest of the group to just about catch the tailend of a conversation between Pastor Nick and Hange. "Fat lot of help you are!" Hange cried, storming away from the balding priest. "Thanks for keeping us company, it's been fun." Their tone rose with anger and sarcasm towards the end but they paused in their tracks when Nick started speaking, barely above a whisper. Leah moved to lean against a crate of supplies, feeling slightly light headed with the pain rising in her ribs.

"I'd offer my help if I could, but a duty as great as this one is beyond me... The Order of the Walls abides by the sacred will our faith commands us to obey."

"Who's sacred will?" Hange challenged, narrowing their eyes suspiciously. Levi moved to perch next to Leah against the box. "You mean like God or something?"

The Pastor shut his eyes tightly and frowned. "I can't answer that. But, what I can do is provide you with a name..." Leah leaned forward, her interest piqued. Everyone watched Nick with intense curiosity. "An individual the sacred will in its divine wisdom instructed us to monitor."

"Monitor?" Hange repeated.

"It's a person you know, someone who enlisted with the Scout Regiment as of this year." Everyone's eyes widened and darted to Leah, to which she held up her hands innocently. "No, not her! A child by the name of Krista Lenz..." Simultaneously the nearest door flew open and in barrelled a fresh-faced Scout grasping a paper scroll, "Important message! I'm with the 104th cadet Corps, oh, and my name is Sasha Braus!"

Nobody paid the girl a second glance, transfixed by the name Nick had given. Obviously the name meant nothing to Leah, just like Annie's had when she was first revealed as the Female Titan. Armin let out a small gasp, staring wide eyed at the Priest. "Uh- no way--" Eren uttered in disbelief. "Who?" Hange demanded.

Sasha, unhappy she'd been ignored, made her way over to Hange. "Sorry, this is for you, Section Commander." But still no one batted an eye. Wait did she say she was with the 104th? Weren't they at the front lines? Just as Leah opened her mouth to address the Scout called Sasha, Nick continued.

"You must find her with all haste. She is the key. She may know things we understand, but poorly." Sasha rocked back and forth on her feet, eager to pass on whatever message she held. "And with that we come to the end of what I am free to share. The rest I leave in your capable hands."

"B-but if she's in the 104th cadet corps she's at the front lines by now." Hange pointed out worriedly, voicing Leah's thoughts.

Eren turned hastily and started running to the door. "Then let's go, c'mon! There's no time to lose." Not looking where he was going, Eren ploughed straight into Sasha who fell to the floor roughly. "Watch where you're going." Hange warned, a little too late. "Hey look, Jeager's just as good at running into people as you." Levi muttered mockingly to the ginger Captain standing beside him. An amused smirk tugged at his lips. Leah scowled at Levi but she couldn't hold back a smile for long. She nudged the black haired male's shoulder with hers, rolling her eyes and trying to hide the grin growing on her face.

"Oh, shut up. Both those times I bumped into you, it was your fault too."

Levi tilted his head. "Oh, really? You're blaming me now. How brave." Hange, who had taken the rolled up paper from Sasha, marched over to Mikasa, Armin and Eren who were all suiting up in ODM Gear. Leah held her hands up innocently and shrugged. "I'm just saying, it takes two people."

"Tch." And with that Levi pushed himself off the crate and started over towards Hange and the others. Leah jumped after him. "You always go 'tch' when you know I'm right and just don't want to admit it." Leah observed, walking casually beside Levi. "No, I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"Tch."

-

It didn't take long for Hange to devise a plan. Being already suited with gear, Leah spent her time helping Mikasa, Eren and Armin with tightening their straps and checking their equipment for faults. As Leah worked, Hange spoke: the papers delivered by Sasha had been background reports on cadets Annie Leonhart, Reiner Braun and Bertholdt Hoover from the 104th, who had all hailed from the same home town. This seemed incredibly suspicious, and Hange warned the soldiers to walk on eggshells around the two boys as they could be spies for the same people that sent Annie which meant they could be equally dangerous.

The plan of action was for the current squad thrown together by Erwin, plus a few other soldiers, to travel to Utgard castle - the abandoned castle which Krista, Reiner and Bertholdt were taking refuge from titans in - and leave finding the breach to the rest of the Regiment. This was an attempt at capturing and luring Reiner and Bertholdt to a safe containment area, while also returning Krista to safety. Nobody was quite sure how the young female cadet fit into all this, but Nick's words were all they could go off.

"That's the plan, are we clear?" Hange called, leaning forward on the table with their fists. "Yes, clear!" Called a medley of voices, including Leah's. "Right. We have to go, now." Eren made for the door in a hurry, clearly anxious to get the Utgard. Levi froze the boy in his place with his usual commanding tone of voice. "Calm down, Eren. I need you all to listen." The short male was once again leaning against the pile of crates. He regarded everyone around him, his eyes scanning their faces.

"We're going our separate ways." Levi's gaze landed on Leah briefly before continuing. "That's how it has to be. Erwin had his reasons for throwing this ragtag squad together, but right now this is all riding on you." He turned to the blonde cadet. "Armin, you and Hange are the brain trust. Use your combined knowledge to cook up some kind of solution."

Levi looked at Mikasa, "I don't think I'll ever get why you're so attached to the guy, but put your skills to good use. Protect Eren at all costs." Finally his eyes locked on Eren. "And you. Don't screw this up. Otherwise Captain Leah will break every bone in your body. Right, Leah?"

Leah stared at Eren with wide eyes. "I do not remember agreeing to this."

-

Their squad arrived at Utgard Castle by daybreak. All the destruction around them was highlighted in the soft purple glow of dawn and flurries of lilac steam rose from underneath the rubble of a collapsed tower. Leah's eyes landed on a cluster of titans, gnawing ravenously at what appeared at first to be another titan. Through the clouds of smog Leah could just about make out the figures of people.

Riding alongside Hange, Leah followed the orders to aim for the gathered titans, leaving Mikasa and a handful of other Scouts to pick off stragglers and outliers. Suddenly Eren, who had been riding just behind Leah, leaped from his horse and soared into the air. "Wait! You're not part of the offensive." Hange scolded, but Eren was too focused on taking down the titan nearest us.

"DIE!" He roared as he sliced successfully at the titan's nape. As the corpse teetered, Leah watched Eren's rig wires tangle together. The Captain's breath hitched in her chest and she dove forward, using her ODM Gear to cover the ground quickly and prevent Eren from cracking his skull open on the shattered rock beneath him.

Just as Leah was about to reach Eren, a 3 meter titan jumped out from behind one of the larger parts of the fallen tower. "Captain! Behind you!"

Eren landed on his feet and stumbled a few steps, staring at the titan behind Leah. The red-head spun 180 degrees in the air and shot up higher, out of reach of the smaller titan. Before it could lumber any closer to Eren, Leah hooked herself to the titan's shoulder and swung at the nape, cutting a clean chunk from it.

She landed next to the brunette boy, eyes wide with concern. "Eren! Are you okay?" She said, steadying him with her hands on his shoulders. He blinked dazedly a couple times before a wide grin broke out on his face.

"That was my first ODM kill!" He cheered, jumping on the spot and punching the air with his fist. A huge smile graced Leah's features. "That's amazing, Eren. Well done!" She said proudly, ruffling the already messy brown hair on his head.

The rumbling of titans had died down by now, the Scouts - mainly Mikasa - having been efficient in slicing down any remaining. In the distance, Eren and Leah could see a group of green capes huddled around a small steaming mass. A body. A steaming body? But that could only mean---

"Hey, Eren!" A male's voice called. Leah looked around and her eyes landed on a group of three teenage boys running towards her and Eren. The brunette's eyes widened. "We found them." He said quietly, taking a step towards the other boys. Leah didn't recognise them: a tall and lanky brunette, a burly blonde and a shorter skinhead. Without any words being shared, the skinhead grabbed Eren's sleeve and started dragging him towards the congregation.

-

By late afternoon Leah, Hange and the rest of the squad they were ordering, were back standing atop of Wall Rose. They'd ridden back with great haste after the discovery of another titan shifter: Ymir. The teenage girl was unfamiliar to Leah, something far from unusual. But with an arm, a leg and a chunk out of her torso missing, Hange dictated that they should retreat to Wall Rose and from there get the girl - who was somehow still alive thanks to the freaky titan shit Leah couldn't quite comprehend - to a proper hospital in Trost.

As the ginger Captain stood beside Hange, 50 meters from the ground below, gentle drops of rain started descending from the vengeful grey clouds above. At first it was just a few drops that caused Leah to lift a hand to touch the remnants of water that had dripped on her head, but before long the intensity increased to the point where Leah had to strain to hear what was being said over the white noise of rain pitter-pattering against the stone wall.

The weather brought with it the earthly damp smell that rose from the grass at the foot of the wall, a smell that filled Leah with a strange sense of deja vu. Hange peered over the edge of the wall, to oversee the lifting of Ymir's steaming body up to the apex of Wall Rose, where their squad were recuperating and preparing to continue with their search for the breach.

Leah strolled to a quieter part of the wall and lowered herself into a sitting position, allowing her legs to dangle freely off the side of the titanic wall. She angled her head back, propping herself on her hands behind her, and let the steady rainfall drip onto her face. The droplets slid down her skin, refreshing her and washing the grime and sweat off her complexion. She inhaled deeply, relishing the scent of petrichor in the air as it filled her tired lungs. Her ribs pulsed with a dull ache.

At first it was just a hint of tingling in her fingertips, the faintest ring in her ears as the background voices began to fade out. Soon the numbness crept through her like a disease spreading through the roots of a plant, decaying everything it touches. A strong sense of impending doom clutched at Leah's heart, stomach and lungs, making her head spin and skin flush, constricting all the hope and life out of her. The arms that supported her weight trembled and threatened to buckle. Before Leah caught on to what was happening too her, it was too late. She felt reality shift out from beneath her as her now unconscious body was surrendered to gravity, dragging her from the peak of the wall to the dewy grass below at an alarming rate.

~

The rain hammered down around the Scout formation, making visibility poor just meters away and the ground dangerously wet, muddy and slippery. Just one wrong step and they'd be titan fodder...

Their horses charged on, snorting wildly from exhaustion. The decreased visibility was deadly on an expedition, and this was Leah and Erwin's first, at the ripe age of 15 years old.

The formation had to shrink in on itself, to prevent soldiers being separated and lost in the blind rage of the storm. This, however, meant that they had less notice of a titan attack.

Everybody was on edge. Erwin, who rode just off to Leah's left, spun his head in every direction, anticipating death to jump out on him at any moment. Meanwhile Leah trained her gaze on the Scout ahead of her; she knew if she lost sight of him, she'd be in great peril. She wouldn't be able to navigate home alone and only had enough gas left in her tanks to eliminate a dozen titans.

Her heart palpated nervously in her chest as she lifted a drenched hand to her face and wiped the rain water from her eyes with one sweep. A deep growl of thunder echoed through the electric air around them. A sharp flash of light just meters away caused a nearby tree to explode into a blaze of charring wood, spluttering sparks in every which direction. Leah's steed bounded away in fear, letting out a high pitched scream that got drowned out by another crash of rolling thunder. The horse's hooves stamped down in the muddy ground beneath them, fighting desperately for purchase.

Instead the hooves sunk deeper into the soft ground, lodging there as the soil seeped in to seal the gaps around its leg like a suction cup. With a wild leap to break free, the horse threw Leah off its back and disappeared almost immediately into the torrents of rain. "Erwin!" Leah cried as her body slid and skidded to a stop in the mud. She forced herself to stand, now covered head to toe in dirt that caused her uniform to stick uncomfortably to her body. She began sprinting after her regiment, every step exhausting as the soft ground tried to suction to her feet.

Erwin shot a glance to his right and noticed the absence of his comrade. "Leah?" He panicked, tugging on the reins to spin around and ride back for her. "Erwin, no! You'll lose the squad!" Leah wailed, but it was too late, Erwin was making a bee-line for her. THUMP. Leah's legs froze beneath her. Erwin continued to close in, eyes trained only on Leah. THUMP, THUMP. The earth-shattering footsteps were getting closer.

Erwin reached down and snagged Leah's arm, swinging her up onto the back of his horse. THUMP, THUMP, THUMP. The footsteps, increased in velocity and the pair realised they were now being chased. Leah clung to Erwin, both their bodies soaked with the torrential downpour. The ginger female craned to glance over her shoulder as Erwin kicked his horse after their retreating regiment.

TH-THUMP, TH-THUMP, TH-THUMP. CRASH.

A monstrous hand slammed down into the ground behind them, missing the youngsters by half a meter. Erwin's horse battled to stay upright as loose grass and rocks flew like missiles through the air. Once Leah had finally blinked the rainwater out of her eyes she caught a glimpse of their beastly assailant. A seven meter titan, with arms like tree trunks, and a body just skin and bones. It leered at the cadets, quickly shortening the distance between them. Both of them at once was too heavy for Erwin's horse. They were nowhere near fast enough to outrun this titan.

At that moment Leah assumed that this titan would not only be the first she'd ever seen, but also the last thing she'd ever see before she died. She wanted to throw up. The humanoid creature just grew closer and closer, and just as Leah thought it was all over and the titan raised a monstrous hand into the air in preparation to squish them like bugs, the familiar zwip of ODM Gear sounded around them and a flash of green shone through the thick cloud of rain. A silver of a blade glinted from atop the fallen titan's head and just for a moment the rain cleared from Leah's gaze long enough for her to make out the figure poised there.

Black locks curving down to frame the porcelain white skin of his face. Beads of rainwater dripping from his fringe. His brow drawn in to give the impression of constant disapproval. A set of piercingly cold metallic eyes, trained directly on Leah's rich green eyes. A silhouette of another approaching titan grew more prominent through the clouds behind this familiar male. THUMP, THUMP. Intense fear gripped Leah as Erwin continued charging away, deserting their savour to be devoured by a titan.

"Levi, behind you!"

(3919 words)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

998K 28K 86
Suns had always been known to be the brightest light, but anyone whose ever met one particular girl would know her smile conquered all. She loved and...
30K 802 52
"There is some good in this world which is worth fighting for Lana. We just need to find that. Everyone has things or people they want to keep safe."...
37.3K 1K 43
You are a strong young woman, Y/N Hanzer, who escaped from the Underground City with your best friend, Greg Schneider. But one day, Commander Erwin S...
162K 3.9K 53
Captain Levi isn't prone to making friends. But when you injure yourself training to be in the Survey Corps, you manage to capture his attention. He...