Caught Inside

By SummerSurfs

[ sequel to Can't Get Enough ] With their surfing safari over and their summer coming to a close, a tight-kni... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty

Prologue

7.7K 223 37
By SummerSurfs

I highly suggest reading Can't Get Enough, the preceding story, before continuing.  The characters' relationships and situations will make much more sense! :) You can find CGE on my profile.

All dedications are to people who have kindly taken the time to read, vote, comment, and show support for this story. I am so thankful for my readers, and without them this novel probably wouldn't be complete.

(Special thanks to @Prettygilr for the picture above!)

The life of a surfer isn't easy.

It goes beyond being an athlete, a fun-seeker, an adventurer, or an adrenaline junkie. It involves the little things, like having sunburnt skin and sunkissed hair, as well as habits that take a lifetime to develop, such as being in tune with the ocean. It means having quiet moments during the lulls and rapid explosions of energy during the sets. But most importantly, it requires respect for the ocean—respect, and fear.

Nature isn't always peaceful. It's rarely predictable, and it's certainly never tamable. The sea is a mass of swirling, moving, crashing water. Incredible storms in the middle of the Pacific generate so much energy that the force of the wind itself is what creates swells. Like a ripple effect, these unformed waves travel hundreds of miles in all directions until they reach a barrier—land. When the seafloor becomes too shallow, the waves' energy causes them to curl over and break.

Even the smallest of rideable waves has enough power to push one over. And when the wave size increases, so does the level of danger. The ocean is a sleeping giant when calm, but a single deep-sea storm can cause it to rear up in a colossal display of energy. The sheer force and power of one wave can be enough to end a surfer's life.

The area where the waves break is undeniably the most dangerous, but it's through this impact zone that each surfer must paddle. For some, their timing is correct, and they paddle out during a lull. But for others, they find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. A surfer's worst nightmare is to be caught inside during a huge set. With no way to escape, the surfer must endure wave after wave crashing on top of them, spinning them underwater, and holding them down—sometimes for minutes at a time.

Being caught in the impact zone is a mistake no surfer wants to make. That's why, throughout the history of the sport, the same warning has been passed down from generation to generation: don't get caught inside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 2.7K 48
" Some hearts understand each other even in silence." Spring break was suppose to be spent at the beach with her best friend Faith but then Alexia's...
942K 20.7K 32
A surfing safari down the coast of California, a few shocking and rather unpleasant secrets, and four inevitable relationships that seem doomed to fa...
639 32 10
[SEQUEL TO COASTING] When Jamie Prescott returns to the small beach town to live with her Aunt Monica the summer after her freshmen year at college...
737 2 29
Stuck in sleepy New Smyrna Beach one last summer, Raine socks away her camp pay checks, worries about her druggy brother, and ignores trouble: Cal Ko...