Beyond All Rules ✔️

By LyssahTraicey

Kennedy's parents transfer her from a prestigious private high school and to a school in The Bronx as punishm... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Epilogue

Chapter Nineteen

247 24 4
By LyssahTraicey

KENNEDY

Deciding what to bring to school for show and tell has been one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. It's an elementary school assignment yet I'm an eighteen year old senior having trouble with something that should be very simple. But it's not that easy is it? Nothing in our huge house means that much to me and the things worth a damn are too expensive for me to bring with me to school. Plus Mrs Beaufoy was specific that whatever we bring should be of sentimental value to us. After thinking long and hard for two weeks I finally decided on an item. I am nervous as hell but I am also excited.

The only upside to this is the fact that its the last class of the day so if I mess up, I have the whole weekend to recover from my failure.

A bark makes me look up from my drawing book to find Isaiah walking towards our lunch table with the most adorable dog I have ever seen. I'm not the only one entranced as the whole cafeteria is looking at them. Isaiah ignores everyone and comes directly to our table.

"Berry." He greets smiling at me.

"Hi Iz. Cute dog. Who'd you kidnap her from?" I tease him.

"Har har, very funny. Berry, meet Ruby." He introduces.

I hold my hand out for her to sniff and once she realizes I'm not a threat, she immediately starts to lick me. I giggle at how adorable she is.

"Now I want to kidnap her. Can I pick her up?" I ask him.

"Yeah, sure." He replies.

I grin and pick her up putting her on my lap. Her kisses transfer from my hand to my face and I cannot hold back my happiness. Isaiah takes his seat next to me and for a few minutes it's just the two of us at the table.

"Where have you been keeping her all morning?" I ask him.

"In her crate, I didn't want her wandering off but she was getting antsy so I asked for permission to have her out. It was granted as long as she doesn't mess with any school property or harm a student or faculty member." He explains.

"How can such a cutie harm anyone or anything?" I coo in a baby voice scratching the back of her ears.

We're soon joined by the rest of our friends and those who haven't met Ruby yet are just as enamored by her as I am. Isaiah gives her some food and water and while she eats we get to enjoy our lunch as well.

"Isaiah brought Ruby for show and tell, what did you bring princess?" Wesley asks.

"I'm too nervous to talk about it twice. You'll find out later if it's a success." I answer.

"You're holding out on us. C'mon, please tell us." He pleads further.

"I'm sorry but no. I'll tell you after." I insist.

"Too bad you're not in our class Wes, we'll get to experience it first hand." Kristie grins at him.

"I'm sorry I'm not a genius like you three." He retorts stuffing his mouth with pizza.

"You're amazing in your own way Wes." I compliment ruffling his hair.

By the time I realize what I've done its too late and I quickly pull my hand back.

"I am so sorry, I don't know where that came from." I apologize hugging my offending hand to my chest.

"What? What's wrong?" Wesley asks looking confused.

"Your hair, I didn't mean to do that." I express.

"What's she on about?" Wesley inquires looking even more confused as he runs his fingers through his hair thinking I've put something in it.

"Berry has it in her head that touching our hair is a mortal sin." Isaiah explains.

Hearing him say it out loud makes me feel even more embarrassed.

"What? Why?" Baron quips his arm around Kristie's shoulder.

"Because we're black and our hair is sacred." Isaiah expounds further but he makes it sound like he is mocking me.

"Seriously princess?" Wesley asks looking like he's holding back a laugh.

"Yes." I nod.

"Kennedy it's true our hair is a big thing for us but it also depends with the context in which you touch it. Say a random stranger approaches me on the street and asks me if my hair is real or if they can touch it. That is wrong in all ways but you're our friend and we are comfortable with you." Kristie explains.

I hear what she's saying but I still feel bad for what I've done. I like my new friends and I would never want to do anything that's culturally inappropriate that will ruin our friendship.

"She's still not convinced." Baron sighs when he sees the look on my face.

"I've seen Wesley tug at your hair, he calls you princess and Iz calls you Berry. Why don't you get offended yet when some random student in the hallway calls you a nickname in reference to your hair or tries to touch it, it pisses you off?" Kristie asks.

"Because you're my friends and you get passes for that." I answer.

"There's your answer, it's a two-way street princess. You need to stop second guessing yourself around us. You're one of us now." Wesley declares and just to prove his point he puts me in a headlock careful not to choke me and ruffles my hair.

"Okay fine, I get it. I'm sorry." I laugh trying to fight him off.

Ruby starts barking at him and he immediately let's me go raising his hands in surrender. When she sees that I'm not in danger anymore she stops and jumps onto my lap licking my face.

"See even Ruby accepts you as one of us." Wesley chides.

I smile and kiss her nose. "You're right, I'm sorry guys. Thanks for the assist Ruby."

"You're gonna steal all her love away from me aren't you?" Isaiah asks.

"I wouldn't dare and besides her heart is big enough for the both of us." I grin at him.

"True." He concedes with a smile.

Now that we're over the tiny debacle of my insecurities towards my new friends we are able to have a much more relaxed lunch. Ruby is the center of attention though she's taken a liking to me so she always wanders back to me which makes me incredibly happy. After spending an hour with her, more than ever I desire to have a dog. But my parents, especially my mom would never go for it even though they are rarely home. Maybe in another life where my every move is not controlled by them.

Ruby has to go back into her crate after lunch because Isaiah has class but then I remember that I'll be seeing her during AP French and Culture. I am a nervous wreck as I wait for that class but the afternoon flies by and before I know it, we're all seated in Mrs Beaufoy's class.

"I hope everyone is ready with their assignment. Remember this is being graded so do your best. You all get five minutes each, no more because I want to cover everyone by the end of the lesson. Let's get started by alphabetical order of your surnames." Mrs Beaufoy instructs as soon as everyone has settled down.

The presentations are awesome but I am too anxious to concentrate on what everyone is saying. The only time I force myself to pay attention is when it's Isaiah's turn.

"Good afternoon class, my name is Isaiah Khalil Carter and for my show and tell presentation today, I brought Ruby." He starts retrieving her from her crate.

The girls go a little crazy and I understand them because she's adorable. Isaiah holding a dog is a very sexy sight as well. I wish I had my drawing book so I could sketch him but I am too shaky to draw at the moment. Instead I take a mental image, save it in my mind for later when I have time. Even more drawings for the Isaiah collection. At this point I'll be able to open a whole gallery with only pictures of him.

Isaiah's French is also flawless which is not surprising as he's so smart so it quickly draws me away from my thoughts and back to his presentation.

"She is a one and a half year old Cavalier King Charles spaniel. My mom bought her for me for my seventeenth birthday. You might think why is a dog so special to an eighteen year old? Well most kids get their first pets when they are young up to the age of ten. I didn't grow up in the safest environment so a pet was not really an option. I always wanted a dog but we couldn't afford one." He confesses tugging at my heart strings.

He looks so sad just like he was when he told me about his semicolon tattoo. He tried to play it off but it was obvious that it's something that still haunts him. I'm just glad that he won the fight against the demons of his past or that he's still fighting and I got to meet him. Now that I know him and we're friends, I can't imagine being at Pine View without him here. It just wouldn't be the same.

"We couldn't afford a lot of things back then. But then everything changed and life is better now. My mom got me Ruby as a way of showing me that it's never too late to get what I want. I wanted Ruby when I was five but it wasn't the right time. She's here now and I am much more capable of taking care of her and loving her. Ruby is the best animal companion I could have asked for and my life is better with her in it. Thank you for your time. That's all I have for now." He concludes and the whole class claps for him.

Even Mrs Beaufoy looks impressed. Isaiah takes his seat but this time he doesn't put Ruby back in her cage and holds her in his lap instead. I turn to face him when he sits down and I smile at him mouthing 'good job'. He beams before I turn back to face our teacher.

"Thank you for that wonderful presentation Isaiah. That will be hard to top guys but the sky is the limit so let's continue." She declares.

Kristie brings a framed photo of her taken in the Mayors office when she got to become Mayor for a day in Middle School. She got the chance when she won an essay writing competition and explains how it inspired her to pursue politics in the future. She and Astrid would get along like a straw barn on fire.

When it's Barons turn he brings a basketball. It's kind of in the nose because he's a basketball player but then he shows that it's signed by Lebron James. He explains how his dad took him to a basketball game where Lebron was playing and from that moment he was hooked. He says he's not sure if he'll play basketball forever and go pro but it's a sport that will forever hold a special place in his heart.

When it's my turn I get skipped and all my friends are surprised by this but I'd already talked to Mrs Beaufoy prior to the class and requested her that I go last. She was reluctant but I can be pretty convincing. The class isn't that huge so before I realize it, everyone is done and its my turn.

"Last but not least Mrs Foster, the floor is yours." Mrs Beaufoy announces.

She looks just as intrigued as everyone else as to why I requested to go last. It was mostly out of fear but also because I felt my presentation is a little special and should be spared for last.

All my friends are looking at me encouragingly so I gather my wits, get up from my seat and walk up to the front of the class. They are all staring up at me making me feel even more scared. I've never been afraid of public speaking, I'm actually good at it but I haven't exactly fit in at Pine View so I still feel intimidated by all my classmates.

"Any day now Miss Foster." Mrs Beaufoy says making my nerves increase.

My gaze wanders over to Isaiah who is smiling at me and it's all the motivation I need to speak.

"Good afternoon class, my name is Jane Kennedy Foster. Deciding on what to bring for my show and tell presentation was hard for me. There's not many things in our home that are of any sentimental value to me except for maybe my clothes and shoes."

That makes a few of them laugh which makes me smile and alleviates some of my tension because it shows I'm not doing so bad.

"But after much thought I realized that there's one thing I hold dear above all else and it's this." I decree holding up a paint brush.

"I know it doesn't look like much but it's part of a whole set. My sister Astrid bought me my first professional paint supplies when she saw that I had a gift. She's the reason I've been able to learn and grow as an artist over the years. All those paints that she bought me are long gone by now and I broke all the brushes or ruined the bristles except for this one. I actually stopped using it because I want to preserve it as a reminder that I always have someone watching my back even when the whole world seems against me. But for this class I broke it out to create one special piece of artwork." I say reaching for the covered canvas that I'd set up earlier in the day.

I drag it to the middle of the room trying as much as possible not to make too much noise all the while having the whole class stare at me.

"I originally wanted to bring my sister for show and tell but she's in DC for work. I know what you're thinking "who brings a whole human being to class for show and tell?". The answer is, when that human being is my whole world. Then I remembered that I don't actually have to bring her in person so ladies and gentlemen meet Astrid Rose Foster, my big sister."

I pull down the cover on the canvas to reveal the most realistic portrait drawing I've ever made. The whole class gasps because the image is so real it looks like a photo. Astrid looks so beautiful in the drawing, her smile wide, eyes bright exhuding nothing but the peace and happiness that she brings me.

"That's a photograph."Someone yells from the back.

See what I mean.

"No it's not. I knew there will be a few doubting Thomas' so I will airdrop a video of the whole creative process that I did for this particular portrait."

I look at Mrs Beaufoy for permission and she nods at me. I retrieve my phone from my pocket and send the message to everyone in class. Phones start pinging and as they start watching the two minute long video the whole class is filled with gasps and audible comments of awe.

"Thank you for lending me an ear, I hope you enjoyed my presentation and I wish you a beautiful weekend ahead." I conclude covering the portrait back up.

I push it to the side and take my seat all the while nobody is saying anything. Then Isaiah starts clapping and soon the whole class follows. I blush and nearly sink into my seat. I feel so proud of myself. It takes a moment before they all calm down giving Mrs Beaufoy her chance to talk.

"Mrs Foster you've outdone yourself. Good job, you are very talented." She congratulates.

"Thank you." I reply.

"And good job to everyone else as well, you've exceeded my expectations and I am very proud of you. For that you get no homework this weekend." Mrs Beaufoy announces.

The whole class cheers at the good news and even though I don't mind homework I have to admit that its a welcome break.

The bell rings a minute later and we're dismissed. For the first time in three weeks I get approached by my classmates not with teasing or mocking but positivity and kind comments. They all love my art and I appreciate their positive feedback. Eventually its just me, Isaiah and the new couple left in class.

"Just when I thought you couldn't get any cooler." Isaiah comments smiling at me.

"Thank you, that was really hard for me." I admit.

"But you aced it. That portrait is even better than what you did for Wesley." Kristie praises.

"Thanks." I blush.

"Good job, you did good." Baron adds.

Their words are so kind I feel like combusting into flames but I manage to hold myself together.

"Need help with that?" Baron offers when I start packing up the portrait.

"Yes please, I'm taking it back to Art Class. I'll take it home next week, Miss Sandy requested to see it." I answer.

Baron offers to carry the drawing while Kristie and I carry the drawing frame together. Isaiah has his hands full with Ruby and together we all walk out of Mrs Beaufoy's class.

"I have a favor to ask you." Isaiah whispers to me as we walk through the hallway.

Baron and Kristie are side by side lost in their own world. They are so cute together it's disgusting but I am also happy for them

"Of course, what's up?" I ask him giving him my full attention.

"Can you take care of Ruby while I'm at practice and take her with you to Frosty Dream when we leave?" He requests.

"You're not taking her back home?" I inquire.

"I can't make it home and back in time for my shift and I also don't want her to be in her crate while we practice, she doesn't like being confined like that." He explains.

I look at Ruby who is happily trotting next to us, her tail wagging over the air in excitement.

"Sure I'll watch her for you." I accept.

"You will?" Isaiah asks in surprise as if he expected me to say no.

"Yes, like I said I've always wanted a dog and I love animals. It'll be fun taking care of her even for just a few hours." I assure him.

His smile gets wider and I just wish I can freeze that moment forever.

"Awesome. Thank you. I already called Archer and he said that it's okay. All you have to do is put her in the office at the back and check on her every once in a while, she'll be fine." He instructs.

"You're welcome and I will do that." I reply.

We get to art class and I set up the canvas at the corner next to Miss Sandy's desk before we all leave.

Ruby and I get to spend time together while the team practices. Later after our tutoring slash study session at the library Isaiah, Ruby and I ride the subway together to Manhattan. For a day that started with me in a bundle of nerves, it ends pretty well with me in the company of the cutest dog ever and a job I'm thriving at.

Isaiah and I have this being 'just friends' things locked down which makes our relationship easier to navigate. I've survived three weeks at Pine View and I can honestly say that its turning out to be better than expected and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the year has waiting for me. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 41.1K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
15.6K 410 49
Harvey and Maddie have been sworn enemies since as long as they can remember. Now as they hit their senior year Maddie's best friend Olivia begins go...
533 29 14
Life can be messed up for real. It comes with lots of shocking unexpectations and painful realities and trust you find so hard to escape. My life...
8.2K 663 35
David has a huge, life-ruining, crush on Alyssa Harvard (who is only about one billion times out of his league). As if that wasn't enough of a proble...