What Could I Do? - The Summer...

By read-and-writing

Atlas Johnson finds herself thinking this same question constantly. What could she do to stop her feelings f... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14
15.
16.
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
Update for Season 3

17

501 12 0
By read-and-writing

Atlas pov

I still couldn't believe that my mom didn't care to run by me that Jeremiah fucking Fisher would be staying for thanksgiving.

Not even like he's just dropped by for a day, he's came for a whole week! 7 days! I know she probably thinks this is a lovely surprise and honestly been my birthday wish for 6 years, but I'm not 12 anymore.

All I can think about is what I'm going to tell Conrad. Maybe I wouldn't tell him, unless Jeremiah already did. Maybe this was why Conrad didn't really talk to me today. Because he knew his brother, my old crush.. was coming to spend the week with my mom and I.

When I was 14, that year I was very focused on wishing Jeremiah would come to visit me. It was the year Jeremiah got his drivers license.

I remember being in the backseat of the car with Jeremiah and Susannah. She was teaching him how to drive. Jeremiah had just passed his drivers written test which allowed him to get his permit.

That summer I spent time with Jere and Susannah. It was a bunch of fun, Jere almost crashed into a pole trying to turn into the muffin shop. Beck and I were scared shitless, my life flashed before my eyes. Jeremiah always knew we would look back at this and laugh. He was right.. the memory turned bitter sweet as it was funny, but also one of my favorite moments to think back on with Beck.

I swear every time I came with Jeremiah and Susannah I would catch Jeremiah looking back at me through his rear view window. I could never tell though. I would quickly look away as soon as we locked eyes.

A blush would creep into my face, and I would just smile dumbly out the window. Jeremiah passed his test by the end of summer.

That year I would be turning 15. I remember asking Belly to wish that Jeremiah would surprise me for my birthday. Just him, nobody else. I would ask her this every year. Even year I would get the same response. "I'll think about it." After that year I stopped, because this year felt different.

Just like every year, I felt like it was my year to get Jeremiah Fisher to fall in love with me. To finally see me the way I see him, not just as the youngest girl of the group or his best friend. I wanted him to see me, to see me more than a friend.

But he never did.

I spent my whole birthday getting myself ready and looking cute. Because something inside of me was telling me that this was the year. This is the year. I remember how embarrassed I was when I asked my mom if Jeremiah was coming and she had no idea what I was talking about.

The dinner fell silent at first. Nobody dared to say a word, this aggravated my mom. "Ugh, why are you being so quiet! You have been begging for Jeremiah to come alone for your birthday. And now it's like you suddenly don't want him here! I thought this would make you happy my love. You've been just so depressed lately. I thought seeing your best friend Jere would help you." My mom says innocently.

Sometimes I can't tell if she knew my crush on Jeremiah. If Susannah could see it, shouldn't my mom be able to too?

"I'm just not hungry.." I say bitterly as I push my plate away completely ignoring what she said about Jere.

"Maybe I should go.. this was a mistake coming here." Jeremiah says as he gets up from his seat but my mom quickly puts him back down.

"Non-sense, your mother told me to watch over you and Conrad. That is exactly what I will do, so sit down and tell Allie and I about college." My mom says sternly as she sends daggers at Jeremiah.

He quickly takes a seat and picks at his food.

"It's pretty good honestly. I joined the football team, and I got backup QB. I know it's not starter, but considering I'm a freshman I would say that's pretty good." He says as he starts to smile.

He looks up from his plate to me then to my mom. I couldn't help but to crack a smile hearing that he made the team. I remember him talking about how he was always in Conrad's shadow in high school. Now that he goes to college, he doesn't have a legacy to follow. He can now create his own at his college.

"I'm so glad to hear you made the team! I'm assuming you are keeping up with your grades this semester as well." My mom says sternly at him and he laughs.

He nods his head and him and my mom both take a bite to eat.

I take a small bite still not having much of an appetite.

"Already, I'm going to go up to my room if you two need me. You two can't get up until you eat every last bite of your meals you two. I mean it Allie, oh and happy birthday my love. I'll give you your gift tomorrow." My mom says to us as she gets up to go put her dish away in the sink but before she left she planted a kiss on the top of my head.

Once she left I continued to try and eat my food. After a few bites I open my phone to see I got a good morning text from Conrad. He was up an hour earlier, we usually texted before he went to class. He would wake up an hour before his classes start and we would talk non stop for an hour.

I quickly go to text back and send a good morning back.

"What you smiling at Allie cat." Jeremiah asks startling me, I hadn't even realized he moved over to be closer to me. I quickly put my phone to my chest and my eyes grow wide.

"None of your business nosy." I say to him and scoff. He chuckles as he goes to eat more of his food.

After Jeremiah takes a bite of his food he grabs the two gifts he came with. This causes me to put my phone away since Conrad hadn't replied yet and I was very curious with what Jeremiah got me.

"Which one do you want to open first?" He asks me with a boyish grin. I grab the card from his hand first since it is always polite to open the card first before the gift.

I opened the card, and I found out it was the poem he taught me when I was 12.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

The poem was by Elizabeth Browning, a poet I would grow to love because this marked the first love poem a boy had ever taught or even shown me.

I felt tears threaten to spill out of my eyes. Why was he showing me this? Was he trying to mess with me? Unwanted nostalgic memories were flooding in with my crush on Jere.

He studied me as I tried not to cry, without thinking I grab the gift from him and when I reached inside the bag there was a statue of a boy and a girl that seemed to resemble Jeremiah and I. It looked like something Conrad should of got for me, but it wasn't from him. It was from Jeremiah, of all people. J+A was also on the statue.

I was speechless, I didn't know what to think. "Did you like it?" Jeremiah asks me with hope in his voice.

"Jere.. it's.. amazing.." I manage to say as I continue to try and wipe away my tears.

"I bet Conrad got you something way better." Jeremiah says looking down.

I scoff, "he didn't even remember my birthday." I say to him bitterly in a whisper. He definitely heard me though.

"What? He forgot your birthday? Are you serious? I'm gonna kill him." He says as he gets out his phone and starts to dial his number.

"No, Jeremiah! Please don't, maybe he didn't. I'm sure he's just busy. You know? It's not that big of a deal. It's fine.." I say to him and I scratch my arm as I touch his arm that was about to call him.

"I won't call him, but only because I don't want to be in between your relationship drama." He says and chuckles. I roll my eyes and mumble, "you already are." But he didn't hear me thankfully.

Jeremiah and I put our dishes away and cleaned the dinning table.

"Guess we are going to be roomies for the next week. So get used to me Johnson." Jeremiah says as he winks at me and I laugh and roll my eyes.

"Thank you Jeremiah.. for everything. Even though I was shocked to see you, I'm still glad you're here. It has been quite lonely these past few months.." I say to him and he walks closer to me and touches both my arms.

"Hey, it's okay. I wanted to be here. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. And im sure Conrad would rather be with you then studying in Australia. With super hot chicks. Plus you should be celebrating. This is your senior year! Go wild." Him saying that made me feel a ride of emotions.

I hit him playfully as he talked about Conrad seeing other girls. Before either of us could say anything else, I get a FaceTime from Conrad. I wave Jeremiah goodbye and I head inside my room.

"Hey princess." I hear Conrad say to me with a happy face. I returned the smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8M 650K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
4M 87.1K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...
6.4K 317 42
Sonia is just a regular high school student who watches Naruto with her best friend Selene. One day Sonia finds herself in her favorite anime. But wh...
141K 6.3K 55
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းကတစ်ယောက်နှင့်တစ်ယောက်မတည့်တဲ့ကောင်လေးနှစ်ယောက်ကအလှလေးတစ်ယောက်ကိုအပြိုင်အဆိုင်လိုက်ကြရာက မိဘတွေရဲ့အတင်းအကြပ်စီစဉ်ပေးမှုကြောင့်တစ်ယောက်အပေါ...