Enemy's Embrace

By Alyssum2000

Ayana is a strong-willed and fiercely protective young woman who finds herself entangled with the wrong crowd... More

Prelude
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16

Ch. 3

82 3 0
By Alyssum2000

Ayana sighed as she stood outside the familiar prison.

Countless memories flitted through her mind, most centered around Iron Heights Penitentiary.

This prison had kept her separated from her father for so long. She thought she had let the resentment go, came to terms with it. She was wrong.

Stepping inside, Ayana's nostrils flared as she caught the aroma of cigarettes, cheap cologne, and musk. She hated prisons. Always felt claustrophobic, always uneasy being locked away from the rest of the world. Her pulse quickened, pounding in her ears as she passed the reception desk, her eyes scanning the room.

Iron Heights Prison was a men's maximum security facility, housing inmates that broke the most heinous laws imaginable. Its walls were cold and forbidding, cold steel bars lining its perimeter, its halls devoid of color. Even the floor was gray.

After passing through the heavy metal doors, Ayana paused. Her eyes scanned the corridors, noticing the gray walls and the dingy lighting. Just like in the movies. This wasn't some generic penitentiary, this was real. And she was here to visit someone very special.

"Hello, young lady," the guard called from the front desk, causing Ayana to turn.

She gave the guard a pleasant smile, returning the man's greeting with one of her own. She stepped up to the desk, handing over her driver's license.

"And who are you here to see, Miss Allen?" the guard asked, running her license through a scanner.

"My dad, Henry Allen." She answered, meeting the man's eye.

"Henry Allen, inmate code: 307310A," the guard rattled off, typing information into his computer.

Ayana nodded, her fingers clenched tightly around the ID card, ready to rip it to shreds.

"Very good," the guard responded, pulling out another piece of paper, handing it to Ayana, "Please sign here."

Ayana glanced at the form, scowling as she read it, "This form does not apply to visiting family members, you'll need to fill out another form."

She glanced up at the guard with disdain, pointing at the form, "But I already filled this out."

The guard gave a sympathetic look, "Let me check the system, Miss Allen."

He tapped his keyboard for a few seconds, checking the visitor logs, "Ah yes, you're correct. We forgot to change it. Please give me a few minutes."

He disappeared behind the desk for several moments, returning after what felt like an eternity, smiling apologetically, "Apologies, Miss Allen, there was an error with the system. It seems we made a mistake when creating the new guest pass. However, since it has been resolved, I've created a new guest pass for you."

He slid the sheet of paper across the desk, motioning for Ayana to take it.

Relieved that the visit hadn't been delayed, Ayana took the paper and slipped it into her pocket. She made her way to the front door, waiting patiently while the guard searched her for contraband. After a thorough inspection, he motioned for her to enter, leading her to the visitation center.

The air inside the visiting area was stale and cold, the heavy metal door closed behind her. Ayana shivered, glancing around the room, taking in the sight of the visitation booths.

Her eyes landed on the far booth, where the familiar man awaited her. It was the first time she'd seen her father since she left Central City six years prior. A surge of emotions hit her, overwhelming her with a wave of memories.

Ayana took a deep breath, stepping into the booth, sitting down across from her father. Henry stood, approaching the glass, placing his hand against the glass, "Oh, sweetheart, I missed you so much."

Ayana took a seat, gazing at her father sadly, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry," She apologized, her voice breaking, "I shouldn't have left."

"Don't cry," He whispered, wishing he could wipe away her tears.

She shook her head, sobbing, "It's not your fault. None of this is your fault."

"You're wrong," Henry corrected her, "I caused all of this, sweetheart. I'm the one responsible for your leaving. It's because of me that our family fell apart."

"Stop blaming yourself," She begged, placing her hand ontop of the glass where his lay, "It's that man's fault. That man in yellow. He tore our family apart."

"I know," Henry said sadly, rubbing his hand over the window, "I know. And if it weren't for him, none of this would have happened."

Ayana stared at her father, tears falling freely down her cheeks.

"Everything happens for a reason," Henry continued, hoping to find comfort in those words, "Maybe it wasn't supposed to be like this, but things have a way of working themselves out."

"Things have a way of working themselves out?" She asked, bitterly, "You're in jail for a murder you didn’t commit."

Henry winced, lowering his head, "There's nothing I can say to make this better."

"You're right," Ayana conceded, leaning her head against the glass, "Nothing will ever fix this."

"Don't say that," Henry insisted, "I love you, sweetheart. More than anything."

Ayana gazed at her father sadly, unable to believe how different their lives were.

"Don't beat yourself up," He suggested, "We can't change the past, all we can do is move forward."

Ayana wiped the tears from her face, nodding slowly, "I guess you're right."

Henry sat hands on the cold surface of his side of the booth, "So tell me about what you've been doing these past six years."

"Not much," Ayana answered, giving her father a weak smile, "Just living a quiet life, traveling the world."

Henry raised an eyebrow, "Traveling alone?"

"I've always been a loner, you know that Dad," She explained, "There's something to be said for enjoying solitude."

"True," Henry agreed, "Now, how about you tell me the truth?"

Ayana looked down, he had always been able to see right through her. She shook her head, she couldn't tell him about her time in the League of Assassins. He wouldn't understand. 

"I can't, Dad," She replied, leaning her head against the glass, "I'm sorry. I can't."

Henry stared at her for a moment, a small smile forming on his lips. "That's fine, honey," He assured her, "Were you happy?"

"I was..." She trailed off, looking away.

Henry sat silently, watching her carefully, searching her face for clues as to what she might have been hiding. But there was nothing there. Not even a hint of pain.

"Did something happen?" Henry questioned, looking at her.

"No," She shook her head, giving him a reassuring smile, "nothing happened."

"Are you sure? Something is bothering you."

Ayana hesitated, biting her lip, "I thought leaving Central City would fix my problems, make everything better."

"You tried, sweetheart," Henry told her, "It's not easy, having to separate yourself from everyone you love.  But if you really think about it, isn't that what made you decide to come back home?"

"Yes," She admitted, sighing. "I'm just scared of how Barry is going to react to me. After everything, after what I did...I don't know if he'll forgive me."

"He's your brother,  sweetheart," Henry reminded her, "He loves you."

"He was always the forgiving one," She lamented, "Always ready to  give people second chances."

"I bet he won't hesitate to give you one," Henry encouraged her, "Just give him time."

"I hope you're right," She replied, wiping away the last tear from her cheek,  "Thanks, Dad."

"Anytime, sweetheart," Henry smiled warmly, standing up. "They'll be here any minute to take me back to my cell."

She stared at her father for a moment, before standing up herself, "Be safe, okay?"

"You too, sweetheart," Henry said, placing his hand against the glass once more, "Take care of yourself."

She watched as her father walked away, a guard on each side, and a gentle smile on his face. 

Henry hadn't changed at all. Even in prison, he still radiated the warmth and joy he always had.

With one final glance at her father, she turned away, heading towards the prison's exit.

As soon as she reached the door, a loud banging echoed throughout the prison, followed by the entrance of two guards, dragging an inmate along with them. Ayana looked up, recognizing the person being brought in.

"Leo?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.7K 1.3K 30
Since Lizzy could remember it was only her brother and Mick Rory, who had always been by her side. She did everything with Leonard and Mick. Many tim...
39.9K 1.1K 36
In this alternate universe specifically Earth 52 Barry Allen gets over his fascination with one Iris West and instead falls in love with the beautifu...
76K 1.9K 20
This is the story of Kate Rory, sister of Mick Rory. She's not that interesting, right? Just a crook, like her brother and their friend Leonard Snar...
1.3K 113 21
People say that fire and ice are nothing but polar opposites...but there's a saying where opposites attract... Lily Snart is the youngest of the S...