The Black House Heiress (Book...

By thegirlwhowrote3

Everyone knows the story of The-Boy-Who-Lived, but what about the girl who was in the shadow that night. Joi... More

Disclaimer
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Eleventh birthday and Diagon Alley
Chapter 2: Platform 9 3/4, Hogwarts Express
Chapter 3: Welcome to Hogwarts, Sorting
Chapter 4: Murmurs and Lessons
Chapter 5: Flying lessons and a dog?
Chapter 6:Of all of the magic creatures out there why a Bloody Troll?
Chapter 7: Qudditch, cursed broom
Chapter 8: Gifts
Chapter 9: Nicholas Flamel
Chapter 10: Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback, a Letter from Mom?
Chapter 12: Through the Trapdoor
Chapter 13: It was who?

Chapter 11: The Forbidden Forest

50 8 9
By thegirlwhowrote3

"Don't be surprised if you find something in your precious supplies closet." hissed Rhea at Filch as he took them down to Professor McGonagall's study on the first floor.

Rhea dropped on one of the couch getting comfy while they waited for the Professor. Harry and Hermione hadn't said a word since Filch caught them. Hermione was trembeling, and Harry seemed to be too lost in thought to talk. Rhea hated seeing her friends like that; she was already used to getting in trouble, and this wasn't her first time in Minnie's office. However, her friends were not. They never were sent to their head of house office. Everything just got worse when Professor McGonagall appeared with Neville.

"Rhee! Harry!" Neville burst out, the moment he saw them. "I was trying to find you to warn you, I heard Malfoy saying he was going to catch you, he said you had a drag-"

Rhea placed a finger over her lips, telling the boy to be quite. Harry shook his head violently, and that caught Professor McGonagall's attention. Rhea saw the face of Minnie morph to the most deathly scowl she had ever seen on her.

"I would never have belived it of any of you - well except for you Ms Black-" Rhea faked being offended. "Mr Filch said you were up in the Astronomy Tower. It's one o'clock in the morning. Explain yourselves."

"I wanted to help Hermione and Harry with their Astronomy homework." Rhea lied through her teeth with a nonchalant tone.

"At one in the morning on a Sunday?" asked McGonagall sternly.

"There's no classes tomorrow, and the stars are better watched late at night." argued Rhea.

"Even when you know the Astronomy Tower is out of limits for students unless they have a class there?"

"It has the best view." Rhea grinned, but Professor McGonagall only seemed to grow more and more irritated at the way Rhea was lying to her with a straight face.

Harry was just staring at her wide eyed while Hermione was deathly silent as she kept looking at her slippers.

"Enough Miss Black. " snapped McGonagall. "I think I've a good idea of what's been going on." Professor McGonagall was looking at the three of them, Neville still beside her. "It doesn't take a genius to work it out. This is one of your pranks isn't it Miss Black? You fed Draco Malfoy some cock-and-bull story about a dragon, trying to get him out of bed and into trouble. I've already caught him. But, I suppose you weren't counting on that Longbotton here heard the story and belive it too."

Neville look puzzled at Rhea, only for her to mouth 'Tell ya later' at him, in an attempt of reasuring the boy that she didn't meant to get him into this mess.

"You got me Minnie, Harry and Hermione were trying to stop me so they followed me." said Rhea defending her friends as well.

"I'm disappointed," said Professor McGonagall. "Miss Black you had accomplished getting four students out of bed and roaming the castle in one night! Three of them from your House! I've never heard of such a thing before! Miss Granger, I thought you had more sense. As for you, Mr Potter, I thought Gryffindor meant more to you than this. All four of you will receive detentions - yes, you too, Mr Longbottom, nothing gives you the right to walk around school at night, especially these days, it's very dangerous - and Fifty points will be taken from Gryffindor."

"But Minnie! I already told you it wasn't their fault. " argued Rhea. If she did that, Gryffindor would lose the lead; the lead Harry and the team had won in the Quidditch match.

"Fifty points all you three," Rhea jumped to her feets as those word fell from McGonagall's lips.

"Minnie! If you do that, you know what will happen."

"Professor - please-" breathed Hermione.

"Minnie don't do that. Give me more detention, extra work, hell I'll even help Filch clean the whole QUIDDITCH FIELD!"

"You can't -"

"Don't tell me what I can and can't do, Potter. As for you Miss Black, I'm well aware of what taking those points mean. Be grateful I'm not taking more points from you. It seems that the only way you'll understand your mistake is by facing the consequences. You got yourself and your friends into this mess. Now get back to bed, all of you. I've never been more ashamed of Gryffindor students."

The walk back to the Gryffindor Tower was silent. Rhea was fuming as she walked ahead of the other three, who couldn't helped but stare at the girl that had tried to get them out of trouble even if that meant taking all the blame herself.

Rhea on the other hand was blaming herself; how could she make such a rookie mistake. Getting in trouble alone was one thing, but it was another to get her friends dragged into the it.

Not only that, but every Gryffindor's efforts to gain the lead in the running to the house cup were wasted. They had lost a two hundred points; forget the lead, Gryffindor house was shoved to last place which ruined any chance the lions had for the House Cup.

Rhea was about to go to the girls dormitory when Harry called out to her.

"Thanks," said Harry, and Rhea look at him in confusion. "Back there, you tried to cover up for us." Hermione was also looking at her. Neville had already gone to the boys dorms.

"No need to thanked me. It didn't work so well after all." answered Rhea. She turned around and went off to bed. Even though she tried, she couldn't sleep the dread of what would happen when the rest of the Gryffindors found out that they were a two hundred points down.

It wasn't long before the story spred. The fact that not only the famous Harry Potter, the Gryffindor brightest seeker had lost all those points, but that Rhea Black was also involved along with another two first years, was enough to fuel up the spark. Rhea had to admitted that getting back to being avoided and be the center of hateful and hurtful comments was difficult for her. But she was more worried about Harry. Yes, Rhea had to deal with that kind of treatment at the begining of the school year, and she was good at ignoring most of the things, but Harry wasn't.

He went from being one of the most popular and admired people at the school to the most hated. Even the Ravenclaws and the Hufflepuffs turned on him.

Rhea had no trouble flipping people off when they were insulting Harry while ignoring the hurtful comments they said about her. "I bet she did it on porpuse," "yeah, the hat made a mistake. She should be in Slytherin."

It was a little easier now that she also had Ron and Harry supporting her, besides Hermione.

"They'll all forget this in a few weeks. Fred and George have lost loads of points in all the time they've been here, and people still like them." Ron tried to cheer Harry and Rhea up.

"They've never lost over hundred and fifty points in one go, have they?" said Harry miserably.

"Well - no" admitted Ron.

"Harry don't worry. Let them think I got you into this mess. Then they surely would stop targeting you."

"But Rhee - what about you?" asked Hermione with sorrow.

"Me? Why do you worry about me? I really don't care what others think about me. As long as I have you three, I don't care about anybody else." said Rhea smiling.

Although, she was worried about the reactions of the twins. Not to mention the fact that Neville hasn't spoke to her all morning.

During one of her detentions with Filch cleaning the Quidditch Field benchs, she had heard and saw the way everyone on the team treated Harry and she was so fed up with their bullshit of not talking to him or refeering to him as "the Seeker." So, she stormed towards the field, took one of the bats, and unleashed a Bludger sending it straigh to Oliver's stomach knocking the air out of him.

"Stop with this bullshit! It was my fucking fault, so stop treating Harry like that." she pointed at each an every one of the team members with the bat, giving a harsher look to the twins. She dropped the bat and walked back again to cleaning the benches.

Rhea was on edge, not only Harry was being outcasted, but so were Hermione and Neville. It wasn't as bad as it was for her or Harry, but nobody would speak to them. There was a point were Rhea was worried sick for her best friend. Hermione had stopped drawing attention to herself in class, keeping her head down and working in silence.

This was worse than being the only one outcasted. She couldn't bear seeing her friends suffer that way.

The dynamic of the Quartet changed drastically; the four of them kept to themselves, working late into the night. Although, this wasn't much of a change in the girls behavior, it defenetly was a weird sight of Ron and Harry. Rhea knew that Harry was just trying to get his mind off of everything that was going on, and that Ron like the loyal friend he was, stayed by his side.

Rhea tried her best to be the strong pilar of the group, going as far as helping Harry remember ingredients in complicated potions, teaching him charms and spells and reciting with him the dates of magical discoveries and globin rebelions.

One week or so before the exams, it was afternoon, they were at the library in the afternoon; Harry had just left, and Hermione was testing Ron on Astronomy when Rhea heard a surprised squeak noise. Lifting her eyes from her notes, she saw Neville standing in front of her, and the the turned away immediately.

'Hell no'

Rhea stood up from her place and stormed right behind the boy. Neville has been avoiding her since the night of the Astronomy Tower incident, and honestly she had enough.

"Longbottom!" she called out once they were out of the library, anger clear in her voice. Neville flinched and turned to face Rhea.

"O-oh Rhea I -I didn't s-see yo-"

"Bullshit." spat Rhea. "You've been avoiding me, Neville." in her voice was a hint of hurt, "I'm sorry." the girl whispered taking the boy by surprise.

"I can tell you everything that happened, but belive me when I say that I did not mean to drag you into this mess."

"I- I'm so sorry Rhee! Ishouldn't have avoided you. I should have asked you what happend; you even tried to take all the blame yourself." Neville said with a snif. "Are we still friends?"

Rhea chuckled and gave the boy a big hug, but it was cut short as they heard someon clearing his troat.

"Oh Harry, Something's wrong?" asked Rhea.

"Er- I- there's something I need to tell you, Ron and Hermione." said Harry, frowning a bit at Neville.

"Oh okay. They are still in the library, let's go. Bye Neville, see you later." Rhea followed Harry to where the other half of the Quartet was.

Harry told them how he had heard Quirrell whimpering, and how he was looking as he was about to cry.

"Snape's done it, then!" said Ron. "If Quirrell's told him how to break his Anti-Dark Force spell-"

"There's still Fluffy, though," said Hermione.

"Come on 'Mione we all know that Hagrid could have a slipped. I mean, he was the one who told us about Flamel." Rhea said.

"Maybe Snape's found out how to get past him without asking Hagrid." said Ron, looking up at the thousands of book sorrunding them.

"I know what your thinking Ron, but I don't think you could find something here. It is different when the creatures are domesticated" said Rhea.

"So what should we do, Harry?" asked Ron.

Rhea could see the gleam in Ron's eye. She would be lying if she said she wasn't interested in having an adventure, but the memorie of what happend at the Astronomy Tower grounded her to reality.

"Go to Dumbledore." the voice of Hermione brought Rhea back. "That's what we should have done ages ago."

" 'Mione is right, we can't afford to get into more trouble now."

"But we've got no proof!" exclaimed Harry, "Quirrell's too scared to back us up. Snape's only got to say he doesn't know how the troll got in at Halloween and that he was nowhere near the third floor - who do you think they'll believe, him or us? It's not exactly a secret we hate him, Dumbledore'll think we made it up to get him sacked. Filch hates Rhea and wouldn't help us even if his life depended on it. He's too friendly with Snape, and the more students get thrown out, the better, he'll think. And don't forget, we're not supposed to know about the Stone or Fluffy."

"Oh and don't forget the fact that now we're labelled as trouble seekers. " added Rhea. Hermione agreed with them, but Ron didn't.

"If we just do a bit of poking around-"

"No." said Harry flatly, "we've done enough poking around."

Rhea saw how he pulled up a map of Jupiter and kept his eyes on it. She was glad that Harry had decide to keep out of trouble, but the sadden look in his eyes made her understand the feelings of the boy.

The next morning, Rhea got a note. Looking around, she notice that Harry, Hermione and Neville got one as well.

'Your detention will take place at eleven o'clock tonight.
Meet Mr Filch in the entrance hall.

Professor M. McGonagall'

"Weird." thought Rhea out loud.

"What's weird?" asked Harry.

"Well, eleven o'clock is super late for a detention."

"Really?" asked Hermione

"Hermione, are you really asking her that when she got more detentions than lessons?" said Ron. Rhea was going to argue but he had a point.

At eleven o'clock, they said goodbye to Ron in the common room and went down to the entrance hall with Neville, who was clutching at Rhea's arm. Filch was already there, and much to her displeasure so was Malfoy.

"Follow me," said Filch.

Rhea notice Harry tense up at the presence of Malfoy. So she did the only thing that came to her mind in that moment, she took Harry's hand in hers.

At first Harry was startled, but then he relax at Rhea's delicate touch. The girl start guiding him behind Filch who was leading them outside with a lamp in hand. Harry took the chance to glance at the girl's hand ,and he could see the little silver glistening in her wrist; she was still wearing the bracelet.

"I bet you'll think twice about breaking a school rule again, won't you, eh?" said Filch, leering at them. "Oh yes... hard work and pain are the best teachers if you ask me..... It's just a pity they let the old punishments die out.... hang you up by your wrists from the ceiling for a few days, I've got the chains still in my office, keep 'em well oiled in case they're ever needed.... Right, off we go, and don't think of running off, now, it'll be worse for you if you do."

"Hush, just hurry up so we can get to our detention. Merlin, I swear whatever it is, it would be way better than hearing your kinks." said Rhea in a disgusted tone.

"Is that you, Filch? Hurry up, I want ter get started." that was the unmistakanable voice of Hagrid. Rhea could see Harry's spirit lighten up a little more at the idea of being working with the half-giant.

"I suppose you think you'll be enjoying yourself with that oaf? Well, think again, it's into the forest you're going and I'm much mistaken if you'll all come out in one piece." Neville tighen his hold in the other arm of Rhea,while Hermione was hiding behind of her.

"Again anythying's better than hearing you talking."

"The forest?" said Malfoy. It was the first time he had talked in the night. "We can't go in there at night - there's all sorts of things in there - werewolves, I heard."

"That's your problem, isn't it?" said Filch, his voice cracking with glee. "Should've thought of them werewolves before you got in trouble-"

"Enought! Just leave us with Hagrid and be gone. I'll glady face another troll if that means you'll leave us now." Said Rhea. She had enough of the attempt from Filch to frigth them.

Rhea's arm that was tightly gripped by Neville was starting to get numb. Harry's hand started trembling and sweating, and Hermione was clutching her cloack from behind.

Rhea knew the dangers inside the Forbidden forest, but the feeling of something pulling her to go into the woods was stronger. She also felt kind of safe with the idea of going there. Hagrid came striding toward them out of the dark, Fang at his heel. He was carrying his large crossbow, and a quiver of arrows hung over his shoulder.

"Abou' time," he said. "I bin waitin' fer half an hour already. All right, Harry, Hermione, Rhe'?"

"I shouldn't be too friendly to them, Hagrid," said Filch coldy, "they're here to be punished, after all."

"FOR GODRIC'S SAKE, Can you please shut up already and leave?!" snapped Rhea.

"That's why yer late, is it?" said Hagrid, frowning at Filch. "Bin lecturin' them, eh? 'Snot your place ter do that. Yeh've done yer bit, I'll take over from here."

"Finally!" exclaimed Rhea.

"I'll be back at dawn," said Filch, "for what's left of them," he added nastily while glaring at Rhea, and turned around walking back to the castle.

"I swear I'll make his life miserable for the rest of my school years."

Malfoy now turned to Hagrid.

"I'm not going in that forest," he said.

"Your lose." Rhea said eagerly, and tried to walked into the Forest but the grip of three persons held her back. Harry, Hermione and Neville were holding tight onto her, panic in their eyes as they saw how willingly was the girl to go into the Forbbiden Forest.

"Not so fast Rhe', and yeh are if yeh want ter stay at Hogwarts," said Hagrid fiercely. "Yeh've done wrong an' now yeh've got ter pay fer it."

"Sounds right to me" again Rhea tried to walked just to be held back again.

"But this is servant stuff, it's not for students to do. I thought we'd be copying lines or something, if my father knew Iwas doing this he'd -"

"- tell yer that's how it is at Hogwarts," Hagrid growled. "Copyin' lines! What good's that ter anyone? Yeh'll do summat useful or yeh'll get out. If yeh think yer father'd rather you were expelled, then get back off ter the castle an' pack. Go on!"

'You tell him Hagrid!' Rhea thought as the half-giant confronted the Malfoy lad.

"Right then, now listen carefully, 'cause it's dangerous what we're gonna do tonight, an' I don' want no one takin' riskes. Follow me over here a moment."

Hagrid finally led them to the very edge of the forest. Holding his lamp up high, he pointed down a narrow, winding earth track that disappeared into the thick black trees. Rhea could feel the light breeze caressing her cheeks, and the soft sound of the trees moving. The forest started calling for her, pleading for help, for conection. But then, her heart dropped, and sadness filled her body. On the ground of the forest was a silvery liquid.

"Unicorn blood." Rhea gasped, the urge of running into the woods to aid the creature was overwhelming her. She might as well have done if it wasn't for Harry and Hermione who were still holding her back.

"That's right Rhe', there's a unicorn in there bin hurt badly by summat. This is the second time in a week. I found one dead last Wednesday." Rhea felt another tug at her heart. "We're gonna try an' find the poor thing. We might have ter put it out of its misery."

"And what if whatever hurt the unicorn find us first?" said Malfoy, but Hermine and Harry were more concerned for Rhea. Her hair was starting to change colors quickly just like that time with the troll, and her hands were freezing.

"There's nothin' that lives in the forest that'll hurt yeh if yer with me or Fang," said Hagrid "An' keep ter the path. Right, now, we're gonna split inter two parties an' follow the trail in diff'rent directions. There's blood all over the place, it must've bin staggerin' around since last night at least."

"I want Fang," said Malfoy quickly.

"All right but I warn yeh, he's a coward," said Hagrid. He glanced at the three kids he knew only to be met with the sight of a distressed Rhea trying to go into the forest. He gave Harry and Hermione a questioning look, but the two Gryffindor only shrugged keeping a hold on Rhea. "Er- So me, Rhe', Harry an' Hermione'll go one way an' Draco, Neville, an' Fang'll go the other. Now, if any of us finds the unicorn, we'll send up green sparks, right? Get yer wands out an' practice now - that's it - an' if anyone gets in trouble, send up red sparks, an' we'll all come an' find yeh - so, be careful - let's go".

As Hagrid gave the go signal, Rhea started leading them. She didn't need to look at the spots of silver-blue blood on the fallen leaves, her instincs and the forest were guiding her to the creature in a cry for help.

Behind her, Hagrid, Hermione and Harry were looking at her with curiosity and concern. The girl may have not notice it yet, but her hair was still dancing with colors.

"What's wrong with her?" asked Hagrid.

"We do not know, but this had happened once before. I don't think she knows either." answered Hermione while they tried to keep up with Rhea's pace.

"Could a werewolf be killing the unicorns?" asked Harry.

"No, they are not fast enough." to everyone surprise that response came from Rhea.

"Rhe' is right, it's not easy ter catch a unicorn, they're powerful magic creatures. I never knew one ter be hurt before."

"They're also the purest thing that could ever exist - no, wrong way." Rhea was so lost in letting herself be guided that she didn't hear Hagrid warning, and was out of reach from where they were. She was now standing in a clearing, and the sensation of another creature present nearby set in, and it wasn't a unicorn.

"You little girl, have the strong aura of the earth." said the centaur appearing in front of her. He had a red hair and beard.

"Oh, it's you Ronan, Rhe' don' go wondering alone." said Hagrid. "How are yeh?" Once Hagrid walked foward and shook the centaur's hand, Harry and Hermione bolted out of their hiding directly towards Rhea, taking both of the girl's hands in theirs.

"Good evening to you, Hagrid," said Ronan, eyes still on the silvers of Rhea's. He had a deep, sorrowful voice. "You got quite the companion there. Were you going to shoot me?"

"Can't be too careful, Ronan," said Hagrid, patting his crossbow, and giving Rhea a confused look. "There's summat bad loose in this forest. This is Harry Potter, Rhea Black an' Hermione Granger, by the way. Students up at the school. An' this is Ronan, you three. He's a centaur."

"We'd noticed," said Hermione faintly. Rhea was to preoccupie trying to pay attention to the feelings she was getting from the forest. She didn't notice in that moment that she was being dragged out of the clearing by Harry and Hermione.

"We're going in the wrong way. " Rhea interrupted the chat of the other three and at the same time Hermione grabbed Hagrid's arm.

"Hagrid! Look! Red sparks, the others are in trouble!"

"You three wait her'!" Hagrid shouted. "Stay on the path, don' let go of Rhe', I'll come back for yeh!"

Hagrid rushed away, Harry and Hermione were scared, so was Rhea, but the urge to run off to where the Forbidden forest was trying to guide her was stronger.

The minutes passed, Harry and Hermione were talking between them not letting go of Rhea's hands at all. At last, a great crunching noise annouced Hagrid's return. Malfoy, Neville and Fang were with him. Hagrid was fuming. Malfoy, it seemed, had sneaked up behind Neville and grabbed him as a joke; Neville had panicked and sent up the sparks.

"We'll be lucky ter catch anythin' now, with the racket you two were makin'. Right, we're changin' groups - Neville, you stay with me, an' Hermione, an' Rhe', Harry, you go with Fang an' this idiot. I'm sorry," Hagrid added in a whispered to both Harry and Rhea, "but he'll have a harder time frightenin' you - especially Rhe'- an' we've gotta get this done."

The three students and Fang were walking for a while already. The tension was palpable in the air between the two boys; the girl was not paying attention to them, being well aware of their current situation. Harry still refused to let go of Rhea's hand, but for some reason she did not mind. She had regained her composure again; she knew she had to. This time, there wasn't any grown up that could protect them. She managed to guide them throug the forest, not paying attention to the blood that seemed to be getting thicker. There were splashes on the roots of a trees, clearly the creature had been trashing around in pain. Through the tangled branches of an acient oak, Rhea was able to see a clearing ahead of them.

Rhea stopped dead in her track, heart pounding in her rib cage, and pain, sadness and anger settled in. In front of them layed dead the unicorn they were looking for. The one that Hagrid was looking for; the one the Forest so desperately tried to make her save. Rhea had never seen the unicorn before, but still, she felt like something had been teared apart inside of her, silent tears streamed down her eyes. She was so deep in grief that she didn't notice the moment were Harry let go of her hand and started approaching the fallen creature. Until out of the shadows, a hooded figure came crawiling across the ground like some stalking beast. Rhea was perplex; that thing in front of her gave her odd and dangerous vibes, it was not natural. The cloaked figure reached the unicorn, lowered its head over the wound of the unicorn's side, and began to drink its blood.

"Get away from him." Rhea groweld gathering courage from an unknown place. She didn't notice that Malfoy and Fang had bolted away, attracting the beast's attention towards her and Harry. The hooded figure approached Harry swiftly, and Rhea noticed that Harry started to grabbed his head in absolute pain. He staggered backwards, and Rhea stood in front of him defensefly; she felt the ground beneath her feet tremble.

"Rhee look out!" hissed Harry in pain, and just in time both of them dodged the jumping creature behind of them that was charging a the beast. Harry fell to his knees and Rhea quickly kneeled beside him.

"Harry, Harry!" the girl shook him gently. The boy had his eyes shut tightly, face crunched up in pain. It took a couple of minutes for Harry to open his beautiful emerald eyes, and Rhea was relieved as it seems the pain was gone. She looked behind, eyes met yet again with another centaur; this one had white-blond hair and it looked younger.

"Are you two all right?" said the centaur while Rhea helped Harry by pulling him to his feet.

"Yes." said Rhea.

"Thank you - what was that?" asked Harry, but the centaur didn't answer, his astonishingly blue eyes like pale sapphires were still connected to Rhea's grey-silver ones. He then looked carefully at Harry, his eyes lingering on the scar that stood out more livid than before in the boy's forehead.

"You are the Potter boy," he said. "Both of you better get back to Hagrid. The forest is not safe at this time - especially for you Mr. Potter," he glanced quickly at Rhea, not knowing what to say. "Can both of you ride? It will be quicker this way. My name is Firenze," he said as he lowered himself onto his front legs.

Rhea helped Harry climb on the centaur's backs, worried that he would still be in pain. Before she clamber herself on she looked at Firenze.

"Rhea Black, nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine, Rhea." There was suddenly a sound of more galloping from the other side of the clearing. The previous centaurs that had encounter them that night came bursting through the trees. Rhea remembered that the red haired one was Ronan but the other one she couldn't recall his name, 'Bane? I don't remember.'

"Firenze!" the centaur she thought was Bane thundered. "What are you doing? You have not one, but two humans on your back! Have you no shame-" but his voice died down when his eyes meet Rhea's. "Oh!"

"Do you realize who this is?" asked Firenze. "This is the Potter boy. The quicker he leaves this forest, the better. The same goes for his friend."

"What have you been telling them?" Bane growled again. "Remember, Firenze, we are sworn not to set ourselves against the heavens. Have we not read what is to come in the movements of the planets?"

Ronan padded the ground nervously. "I'm sure Firenze thought he was acting for the best," he said in his gloomy voice.

Rhea could see that Bane grew irritated as he kicked his back legs harshly.

"For the best! What is that to do with us? Centaurs are concerned with what has been foretold! It is not our business to run around like donkeys after stray humans in our forest!"

Rhea was starting to get annoyed toward Bane, and it seems that she wasn't the only one. Firenze suddenly reared onto his hind legs in anger, making Harry grab him by his shoulder to stay on while Rhea hugged Harry from behind his waist as she was sitting behind him.

"Do you not see that unicorn?" Firenze bellowed at Bane. "Do you not understand why it was killed? Or have the planets not let you in on that secret? I set myself against what is lurking in this forest, Bane, yes, with humans alongside me if I must, especially if that human was called in by the forest."

Rhea stared at him in surprise, centaurs are indeed clever creatures. Firenze whisked around: with Harry and Rhea clutching on as best as they could. They plunged off into the trees, leaving Ronan and Bane behind them.

The two students didn't have a clue of what was going on.

"Why's Bane so angry?" asked Harry. "What was that thing you saved us from, anyway?"

Firenze slowed to a walk, and warned her and Harry to keep their heads bowed in case of low-hanging branches, but did not answer Harry's question. They made their way through the trees in silence for so long that Rhea was now leaning on Harry's back, exhausted. She was dozing in and out of cousioness, when Firenze suddendly stopped.

"Harry Potter, do you know what unicorn blood is used for?" Firenze asked the boy.

"No," said Harry startled by the odd question. "We've only used the horn and tail hair in Potions."

"That is because it is a monstrous thing, to slay a unicorn," Rhea winced and buried her face in Harry's back at Firenze's words, remembering the body of the unicorn in that clearing. "Only one who has nothing to lose, and everything to gain, would commit such a crime. The blood of a unicorn will keep you alive, even if you are an inch from death, but at a terrible price. You have slain something pure and defenceless to save yourself, and you will have but a half-life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips."

Rhea froze in her place, a shiver running dow her spine.

"But who'd be that desperate?" Harry's voice resonated in Rhea's ears. "If you're going to be cursed forever, death's better, isn't it?"

"It is," Firenze agreed and so did Rhea, "unless all you need is to stay alive long enough to drink something else - something that will bring you back full strength and power - something that will mean you can never die. Mr. Potter, do you know what is hidden in the school at this very moment?" Rhea gasped as realization dawned on her.

"The Sorcerer's Stone! Of course -the Elixir of Life! But I don't understand who-" exclaimed Harry.

"Can you think of nobody who has waited many years to retur to power, who has clung to life, awaiting their chance?"

"Voldemort." whispered Rhea, her head still laying on Harry's back.

"Rhee! Harry! are you both all right?" Hermione was running toward them down the path, Hagrid puffing along behind her.

"We're fine." answered Harry for the both of them.

"The unicorn is dead Hagrid, it's in the clearing that way." Rhea pointed towards the way they came.

"This is where I leave you." Firenze murmured as Hagrid hurried off to examine the unicorn. "You are safe now."

Harry was the first to slid off his back, helping Rhea next.

"Good luck, Harry Potter," said Firenze. "The planets have been read wrongly before now, even by centaurs. I hope this is one of those times. I hope we can meet again Rhea Black." He turned and cantered back into the depths of the forest, leaving Harry and Rhea shivering behind him.

Ron had fallen asleep in the dark common room, waiting fo them to return. Rhea couldn't help but smile at her loyal friend laying on the couch. But that soon ended when Harry shook him roughly awake, ending with Ron shouting something about Quidditch fouls. In matter of seconds, though, he was wide-eyed as Harry began to tell thim and Hermione what had happened to them in the forest.

Rhea had quite a difficult time trying to calm down an anxious and shaking Harry as he paced up and down in front of the fire.

"Snape wants the Stone for Voldemort..... and Voldemort's waiting in the forest...... and all this time we thought Snape just wanted to get rich...."

"Stop saying the name!" said Ron, terrified.

"Harry please, sit down." pleaded Rhea... again.

"Firenze saved us, but it seems he shouldn't have save me so.... Bane was furious... he was talking about interfering with the planets say is going to happen... They must show that Voldemort's coming back.... Bane thinks Firenze should have let Voldemort kill me... I suppose that's written in the stars as well." Harry kept going on.

"Will you stop sayin the name!" Ron hissed.

"So all I've got to wait for now is Snape to steal the Stone," Harry went on feverishly ignoring Ron's plead, "then Voldemort will be able to come and finish me off....Well, I suppose Bane'll be happy."

"Harry James Potter!" said Rhea angrily and finally the boy stopped pacing around. "Wow, now I understand why they use my full name when scolding me, nevermind. Harry, you got to stop thinking like that, we are not going to let anything bad happen to you."

"Also, everyone says Dumbledore's the only one You-Know-Who was ever afraid of. With Dumbledore around, You-Know-Who won't touch you. Anyway, who says the centaurs are right? It sounds like fortune-telling to me, and Professor McGonagall says that's a very imprecise branch of magic."

When they stopped talking, the sky had turned light. All of them went to bed exhausted, throats sore. Rhea felt absolutely drained and sore, and worst of all the exams where round the corner.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

899K 32.8K 21
γ€Œπ——π—˜π—©π—’π—§π—œπ—’π—‘γ€βThanks for keeping your promises ❞ β–ͺ︎ Synopsis β–ͺ︎ Tabitha Longbottom is known as the quietest and most innocent Hufflepuff of her...
29 0 9
Arya Black, daughter of Sirius black had her own profecy. Die to protect Harry Potter. No future only death.
840 17 15
Amelia Potter, a girl who looks likes her mother but has her fathers hair color, is back for her third year at Hogwarts. Sirius Black had escaped Azk...
84.2K 1.6K 20
Valentina Black loses her mother and little sister after they were murdered in their home one night. She then gets dropped off to her father's helpe...