Beyond All Rules ✔️

By LyssahTraicey

Kennedy's parents transfer her from a prestigious private high school and to a school in The Bronx as punishm... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Epilogue

Chapter Thirteen

276 27 4
By LyssahTraicey

KENNEDY

Glynn looks surprised to see me enter the kitchen awake and fully dressed, ready to face the day bright and early Saturday morning. I usually sleep in till midday on weekends but that's a luxury I cannot afford anymore. I have work in an hour and even though I'm not on probation anymore I want to earn Archer's trust and maintain it.

"Going somewhere miss?" Glynn asks me.

"Yes, I got a job." I answer excitedly.

"A job?"

"Yes."

Today marks one week since I started working at Frosty Dream and I've loved every moment of it. Adjusting to being a worker bee wasn't easy but I'm glad I took that leap.

"You can't tell mom and dad. I work at an ice-cream parlor called Frosty Dream." I explain.

Glynn smiles and nods at me doing a zipping gesture with his fingers and tossing the key away.

"Your secret is safe with me. Do you need a ride to work?" He asks looking at me with a proud look on his face.

I love how he doesn't doubt my ability. At least I have one person who is genuinely rooting for me.

"No it's okay, I'll take the bus." I answer.

There's still time so I make myself a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice. I'll fill up up on Oscar's waffles when I get to work.

Glynn sits with me as I eat breakfast while he has his morning coffee. I ask about his wife and two sons who he assures me are doing great. I've met them a couple of times and they are a really nice family. Both his sons are older being twenty-nine and twenty-five years old. But they are single and hoping to start their own families soon.

"See you later Glynn." I tell him picking up my tote bag after I'm done with breakfast.

"Have a good day at work miss." He replies with a warm encouraging smile.

"I will."

The distance to Frosty Dream is walkable but I am lazy so I choose to take the bus. I know that Isaiah won't be at work today and I miss him already. We see each other all the time at school and at work. I'm used to his presence so today won't be the same without him around.

Working with Isaiah has allowed me to get to know him better and I've come to realize what a great and dedicated person he is. I am in awe of him. It makes me feel worse about how I treated him that first week but now that we're friends our relationship is improving. I am looking forward to learning more about him. Bonus point, he has a really cute dog that I want to meet.

I'm the first one at the Frosty Dream so I open up, put on my t-shirt, apron, hair net and get to work. Oscar joins me soon after and immediately gets working on making the waffles that I'm already addicted to.

Archer and our new employee Cove are the last ones to arrive. Cove is a student at NYU and is working here part time. She's amazing and I love hearing about her life in college. It makes me look forward to when it's my turn to join next year. I may not know what I'll pursue when I get there but I know that I definitely want to go.

As I'm making a banana split sundae bowl that Isaiah taught me, I remember about their game. An idea pops into my mind and I write the words "Good luck" on one of the bananas with fudge and quickly take a photo. I cover it up with more fudge after one done and serve it to the customer. I text the picture to Isaiah and he replies with a simple thank you. It's our first text exchange since we swapped contacts a few days ago. I won't be at the game but I hope the boys know that I'm thinking about them and wishing them the best. They didn't seem worried yesterday so I know they are confident that they will win.

I get back to work and soon morning turns to afternoon and afternoon to evening. I'm cleaning the fudge pump when I receive a video call from Wesley. We don't have a lot of customers at the moment so I pick it up and I'm immediately bombarded by his grinning face.

"Princess."

"Hi Wesley." I reply unable to hold in my smile.

He's is too contagious to resist.

"We won 85 to 24." He announces in a cheerful tone.

"Wow congratulations. I'm so proud of you guys." I reply genuinely happy for them.

That's a huge win margin meaning they did really well as predicted.

"Thank you. So when are you getting here?" He asks.

"Wes I'm still at work." I reply hearing loud music and a lot of chatter in the background.

Looks like the party is already underway.

"You said you'd be here." Wesley reminds me.

"I said I'd think about it." I counter.

"You're really going to miss my birthday?" He asks with a pout. "I thought we were friends."

"We are." I assert.

"Then why are you not here?" He insists his pout getting sadder.

"Because I'm working." I try to reason with him.

"Let me talk to Archer, I'll convince him to let you go early." Wesley demands.

"You're not talking to my boss." I say with an eye roll.

"Oh really, he's right behind you."

I turn startled to find Archer standing behind me.

"How long have you been standing there?" I ask him holding my phone to my chest.

"Long enough to hear Wesley begging. It's pathetic." He replies with a laugh.

"Hey I'm not pathetic just sad that Kennedy isn't here. You're the only one missing out. Even Kristie is here." Wesley declares and I pull the phone back up to face the screen.

"Really?" I ask in disbelief.

We've become better friends and she doesn't seem like the party going kind of person.

"Yes. Look."

He flips the camera and I'm able to see Kristie playing chess with Baron.

"Are they playing chess?" Archer asks peering at my screen.

"Yes, they are nerds so it's not a surprise but what matters is that they are here. Archer let her come. Please." Wesley pleads.

"I'll be there after work." I answer before Archer can say anything.

"You clock out at ten. The party will be almost over by then." Wesley says.

"Put the poor kid out of his misery and go." Archer replies.

"What? But I still have a couple of hours left on my shift." I counter.

"You'll make up for it another time. For now just go and be a teenager." He demands.

"Are you sure?" I ask

"Yes. Go." He assures me.

"Okay." I nod and turn to face Wesley. "Looks like I'm coming after all."

"Yes! I'll text you the location." He cheers.

"Okay." I nod and he hangs up, my phone pinging a second later as she shares his live location with me.

"Thank you but you didn't have to." I say to Archer.

"Yes I did. I remember what it was like being a teenager. You'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did do so go out there and have fun." He replies.

"Okay, I'll go freshen up. Thank you."

"You're welcome kid."

In the bathroom I take off my work t-shirt and apron and put on the cream cropped sweater top I left the house in. I remove my hair net and let my hair loose from its bun. Cove walks in on me and helps me touch up my make up but without covering up my freckles. I'm falling in love with them and never want them to be hidden ever again.

"Now you look ready to party." She grins looking at my outfit.

I'm wearing a black short denim skirt and black and white chunky sneakers. I do look ready to party.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now go out there and have enough fun for the both of us." Cove demands.

"I will." I smile at her.

I pick up my tote bag, jacket and head out front to alert Archer than I am leaving.

"We still closed tomorrow?" I ask him just to confirm.

He's spending Sunday with his family so the parlor will be closed for the day.

"Yes and this is for you." He says pushing a cooler towards me.

"What is it?"

"You can't go to a party empty handed." He replies.

"That's a lot of popsicles and these are teenagers not kids." I comment when I see what's inside.

"Trust me, they'll be a hit. Now get out of here." Archer demands.

"Okay, bye. See you on Monday." I reply picking up the cooler.

It's a bit heavy but after hauling gallons of ice cream all week I've grown a bit of muscle so I'm able to handle it.

A taxi or an uber to The Bronx will be costly and the subway stop is too far for me since I have the cooler so I opt to take the bus. It's slower but I'll save a lot of money.

A short walk and and a ten minute wait later I'm on the bus ride to the party. I check my Instagram on the bus ride and see everyone's feed of the party. It looks like everyone is having fun. Isaiah's account is private and I consider sending him a request but I rethink that idea for now. Maybe later when we're better friends.

The bus drops me off a five minute walk from party according to Google maps. It turns out to be a ten minute walk but I eventually get there.

The five flights of stairs I have to take to the rooftop is not fun especially since I'm carrying a cooler full of popsicles. Wesley is waiting for me at the door since I texted him when I got off the bus.

"You're here. Now everything is right with the world." He grins leaning down to hug me.

"Happy birthday Wes." I reply.

"Thank you very much. I'm glad you could make it. Right this way princess." He says opening the door wider to let me in.

My steps falter when I'm bombarded by too many bodies and excessively loud music.

"You said it was only going to be a couple of people. This is half the school." I scold Wesley turning to face him.

He rubs the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Sorry word got around after we won the game. Please don't leave." He pleads when he sees me look right about ready to run.

I thought it was only going to be the team and a couple of more friends but this is ten times that number. I didn't even want to be here in the first place and now this.

I turn to look at Wesley ready to tell him that I am leaving but he has a pleading look on his face and the pout that convinced Archer to let me be here in the first place.

"I won't, I'm already here anyway." I relent knowing that if I leave I will break his heart.

"Good, thank you." He smiles at me looking relieved.

"I brought popsicles." I announce showing him the cooler.

He gapes at me definitely not expecting that. "You know people usually bring alcohol to these kinds of gatherings. "

"I know but I can't buy alcohol, I'm underage and so is everyone else here. And besides everyone loves ice-cream especially when it's free." I defend.

"You're right we do. Thank you princess, set them up on that table right there." He says showing pointing me towards the snack table.

I have to fight my way through a couple of very tall tightly squeezed bodies but I manage. Seeing as I carried them all the way here, I snatch one up for myself before they are discovered and people start fighting for them.

I see Baron and Kristie still playing chess so I approach them for a quick hello. They are so engrossed in the game they barely notice me.

"Hi guys."

"Kennedy? When did you get here?" Kristie asks smiling at me.

"Just now. How long have you guys been playing?" I ask them.

"Two hours." Baron answers.

"That's a long time."

"Yes but it's fun." Kristie affirms.

She looks so happy. I'd like to hang out with her since she's the only girl in familiar with here but I wouldn't want to ruin her fun. Plus she's finally hanging out with her crush without it being weird between them.

"I'll leave you guys to it then." I say and walk away.

I find a semi quiet corner to enjoy my popsicle as I observe everyone. I notice that almost everyone is drinking but the players are not. I admire their discipline and commitment to stay away from alcohol and hopefully other drugs during the season.

My eyes search for one player in particular but I can't seem to spot him in the sea of dancing bodies. I know he is here, he wouldn't miss his best friends birthday so we're bound to run into each other. I take a selfie with my popsicle and send it to Astrid. We text back and forth for a while until she has to go change the world or something of the sort.

I hear his laughter before I even see him. I look around and finally see Isaiah talking to Jeremy and the sight of him has my heart skip a bit. He looks more handsome than usual but I can't tell why. Maybe it's the fairy lights but still he looks good. He's wearing a white t-shirt, a black and white checked flannel, black jeans and a pair of white Air Force sneakers.

He must have sensed me looking at him because he turns and our eyes meet. His smile gets wider and he waves at me. I wave back and nearly drop my popsicle. He says something to Jeremy, pats his back and heads my way.

Shit.

I barely have time to compose myself before he's right in front of me. Now that he's closer I can see what's different about him. His hair is different. A good different. His curls are now coils falling over his face and the sides are much shorter. Why does he have to be so handsome?

"You came!"

"I had to. Wesley can be very convincing and I didn't want to be on his bad side." I reply.

"Wise choice. I'm glad you're here." He grins making me feel welcome.

I was starting to get bored but now that he's here talking to me, I feel much better.

"Me too. You look nice. The hair I mean. It's a nice hair cut. Not that the other one was bad. It's just that this one is better. So you do look good, then and now. Please stop me." I beg when I can't stop rambling.

He laughs and holds my arm."Thank you Berry. You look beautiful."

I blush and untuck my hair from behind my hair so that its falling over my face once more to hide my blush.

Isaiah laughs harder which in turns makes me feel more embarrassed.

"Who wants to play Never Have I Ever?" Wesley asks approaching us saving me before I combust into flames.

Thank God.

"I do." I screech popping my dripping popsicle back into my mouth.

"Perfect. You in Iz?" Wesley asks.

"Yes." He asked his eyes trained on me.

"Great. Right this way please. Since we can't drink alcohol, we'll just use regular soda." Wesley explains.

Baron and Kristie have ended their game so they join us as well. We gather a few more people who are interested and find a quieter place to sit.

"Yoh, who brought popsicles to the party?" Jeremy asks.

"I did." I answer.

"That was a sick idea. I love them." He decrees showing me the three different flavours in his hand.

"Told you." I grin looking at Wesley.

"I stand corrected, thank you princess." He replies tweaking my nose.

"You are welcome." I say slapping his hand away.

"Do they have weed in them?" Jeremy asks earning disapproving looks from his teammates.

"No!" I reply.

"Too bad but still awesome idea bringing them." Jeremy smiles chewing on one as if it isn't ice cold.

"Enjoy."

"Oh. I plan to."

"Enough popsicle talk are we doing this or not?" Wesley demands.

"Why don't you start us off." Isaiah who is seated next to me suggests.

"Okay. Never have I ever gotten a tattoo." He starts and a couple of people drink including Isaiah.

I turn to him questioningly because I've never seen a tattoo on him. He lifts his wrist so show the the semicolon tattoo on his wristbone. I know exactly what it means so to see Isaiah with it raises a lot of questions. We're not close enough for me to ask him about it plus we are in public. Maybe one day I will but I hope he's past whatever made him get that tattoo.

The game moves on until it gets to Kristie. She mulls over her question for a while before she says. "Never have I ever been arrested."

I look around the group and see a couple of people takes sips of their drinks. I do it as fast as possible hoping I can hide it but of course there are already eyes on me.

"Princess!" Wesley exclaims out loud.

I turn to see Isaiah looking at me in shock as well.

"What?" I ask with a shrug deciding that I might as well own it.

"Look at you being a bad girl." Baron comments.

"I've had my days, what can I say?" I shrug.

"What were you arrested for?" Isaiah asks.

"Which time?" I answer making them even more shocked.

"Which time? Did she just say which time? How many times have you been arrested?" Wesley asks.

"This is Never Have I Ever not twenty questions." I retort.

"Come on, humor me. I'm curious, I always thought you were a goody two shoes." Wesley grins.

Everyone is looking at me curiously but I am not ready to share the details yet. "Well there's stuff you don't know about me."

"Tell me this one then, how many?" Wesley insists.

Telling him this one detail can't. Right? "Three."

"Jesus, look at our little criminal. What did you do?" Wesley inquires.

All eyes are on me at this point so I decide to put an end to it. "I am not answering that. I am done. No details for any of you."

They all groan in disappointment but it's a part of my life I am not comfortable sharing yet.

Isaiah has the same look on his face I did when I saw his semicolon tattoo. Looks like both of us have a lot of things in our past that we don't want to talk about. Are we both damaged?

"Argh! Fine, let's keep playing then." Wesley relents.

It's not his turn again but he still asks the next question. "Never have I ever been in a relationship."

"But you have been in a relationship." Baron retorts.

"Yeah I just wanted to see how many relationship virgins we have. Drink suckers." He demands.

Baron, Kristie, Isaiah and I take a drink. Isaiah has never been in a relationship? Wow! That's new information.

"So you've been arrested three times but you've never been in a relationship?" Wesley asks me.

"Drop it please."

"Okay but only for now. Your turn princess."

I think about it for a minute before I speak."Never have I ever broken a bone."

Every boy on the team drinks plus a couple of other people too. Kristie doesn't.

"How many bones have you broken?" I ask Isaiah.

"Too many." He replies with a sad look in his eyes.

This boy has got more layers than an onion and I'm not sure if I want to peek behind the curtains. Will what I find there be too much for me to handle? We're only friends at the moment but what if our relationship grows to something more one day. My crush on him is only getting bigger. Us being a thing doesn't seem like a good idea so maybe I should try and extinguish these feelings before they grow any further. Nothing good can come out of it.

The game moves on and I find myself relaxing and enjoying it once more. The overthinker in me will have to dissect my feelings later but for now I want to have fun with my friends and enjoy being a teenager for once.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

999 109 38
"He was charming, sexy, and toxic in every way, but my God was he one of the best damn things I ever called mine," C. HO Another year, same drama... ...
4.5K 276 54
Brooklyn Thorne had the perfect life. She was popular in school, well loved by her peers, had the perfect boyfriend and friend group, and was captain...
19.1K 813 36
Mike is supposed to be the next captain of his school's basketball club, but the 17 year old play boy is distraught because he has to move after his...
8.2K 663 35
David has a huge, life-ruining, crush on Alyssa Harvard (who is only about one billion times out of his league). As if that wasn't enough of a proble...