Thaw out a Second Life

By Ein-Usagi

A month after the incident with Victorious META, Tirpitz lives her second chance in life free of another ego... More

Prologue: Start of an Obstacle
Start of Atonement
Struggle to Lie
Lingering Inner Conflict
A Sister's Concern
Doubting a Life
Day of Festivity
The Other Bismarck
Heart of the Beast
Distorted Blizzard
Weighing a Choice
Black King, Red Fox
Raging Blizzard
Calm after the Storm
What Comes after the Blizzard
Choices in Life
Hunter and Prey
Uneasiness
Ice and Flame Once Again
An Older Sister's Promise
Pinpointing a Bait
Beginning to Unravel
To Set in Motion
Nothing to Hide
To Face the Truth
Weight of the Deception
Even Deceit Must End
Once and For All
Life Goes On

Trust and Distrust

73 3 11
By Ein-Usagi

Right before I knew it, I was living in her world.....

It's not that, the more I try to overtake and possess the other version of me, the more I come to understand the "Why", "How", and "What" filling my head. That's because in order to overtake her, I need to suppress her consciousness which regularly connects me into parts of her consciousness.

[You need not question my reasons]
[I vowed to uphold our nation's pride]
[Everything I do is for everyone.....]
[There's no need to follow in my footsteps]
[Do as you wish. I do not care.....]

At first, I heard Bismarck's voice. It's her several conversations with Bismarck. Compared to the present, Bismarck acted strict and unmoving towards her younger sister. She can barely look Tirpitz in the eye and keeps ordering her like a stranger.

[If you refuse to seek strength, then you cannot return to the front lines]

The way Bismarck casts her away without even stopping to consider Tirpitz's thoughts and feelings reminds me of my Bismarck. It fills me with grudge and frustration.

"......."

Despite all the anger towards her sister, the little hatred in her heart is unbelievable. A part of Tirpitz couldn't bear deep hatred towards her sister.

Why?
Why?
Why?

Tirpitz keeps believing her Bismarck must have a reason and endured it all knowing Bismarck has to shoulder Iron Blood's ideals and stand as its unyielding leader. She never says anything, but no matter what happened......she still "loved" her sister.

"Why......?" I fall to my knees in utter confusion

Love? I'm a ship who's nothing but tragedy chained in the frigid north and mocked even in my death. How can I possibly still believe in love when I keep enduring hardships even as a kansen.

"What's wrong with her?"

Bismarck never once looked at Tirpitz with love or even reached out to her, yet the idiot keeps enduring it all. Even when she knows Bismarck's order might get her killed, she trusts her sister even when her entire body overheats. Having blind faith in the sister who never loved her is why she lost her emotions and has a dead META inside her.

"......."

As my hands press the soft snowy ground, tears begin to stream down from my cheeks when my heart first senses countless stinging then a blanket of warmth enveloping me.

"Bismarck did care for her....."

After going through her perspective, I can't deny the sadness and regret in Bismarck's eyes right before she turns away from her. It repeats several times and I think Tirpitz noticed it, so she could never truly hate Bismarck. No wonder she gave up the chance to end Bismarck and resisted when I almost killed her.

[I can't lose you, so don't you dare give up just yet.....]

It's faint, but when Tirpitz returns on death's door and after Bismarck learns she has a day left to live, Bismarck becomes honest since no one is looking or present. The older sister who always acts coldly fears for Tirpitz's life and......her tears fall into my hand.

.........
.........
.........

Love? It's a warm emotion as a result of caring and protecting others. That's right - people want to protect others because they love them.

"It's alright. Freezing or not, I'll still be here. Even if they don't want you anymore"

Prior to my death and when I still have a will to live, Victorious never once fears or despises me for being an incomplete META. In fact, her treatment of me hasn't changed in the slightest. She keeps holding my hand whenever I black out......so I wouldn't lose myself.

"There's still a lot you want to do, so don't give up on yourself yet......just as I didn't give up until you called me a friend"

Unlike my other version, I've always been cynical of others because they treated my existence poorly. To them, I'm "Bismarck's sister" as if I'm a spare tire - a disappointing one. No one looked at me and treated me as myself until the bloody idiot came and insisted on spending time with her because I'm always lonely.

"......."

Ah, it's been a long time. Those two Victorious aren't so different when one of them has yet to become a META. It's because she fully exposed herself that I mellowed and warmed up in her presence. I also discovered I could care about someone and wish to protect them.

"........."

Victorious wished for my happiness just as I wished for hers. We fought and protected each other in battles. At one point, she wished to be by my side after the war ended because she wanted me to see the world with her.

"So what happened......?"

Losing familiar faces I call my allies and comrades, the METAmorphosis begins to corrode my mind. When it corroded my body, it left my body permanently in freezing temperature but controllable and harmless to others. They say, Bismarck and I are equally stubborn we resisted the corroding effect in our personalities, but I'm an incomplete META because of a mistake.

"It started.....because I stopped caring about myself......"

Since I've been getting distracted from the battles and my focus keeps shifting, my resistance gradually lowers until the incomplete METAmorphosis begins to alter my behavior by amplifying my emotions. It amplified the aspect of me that's engraved in history - the lonely one doomed to be robbed of a glorious death.

"........."

What probably sealed my fate is when I blacked out only to regain consciousness with my ice reinforced arm an inch close to Victorious' skull while my other hand is slowly crushing her neck.

"........."

I realized the conflict is consuming me and feeding my corrosion. It's pointless to go on because I'm not getting stronger, just getting corrupted. War brings nothing but losses - it cannot save anyone. Even if it ends, another one will begin.....because it's just human nature to compete with each other. If this goes on, I'd become a mindless killing machine doomed to be put down like a rabid animal.

"Before that happens....."

Ever since then, I decided to always battle with the intent to die, so I've been throwing myself against strong enemies. I want to die before the endless conflict exhausts my mind and I finally succumb to this incomplete METAmorphosis. At the very least, I want to die fighting so no one can force me to fight for their sake again.

..........
..........

Even if my life is doomed the moment I cared about someone, I never regretted having Victorious as my friend. My mindless desire for revenge is filled with doubt.....for its reason.

"Why do I want revenge?"

This isn't my timeline, so the experience and memories of these kansens are different. They're not the same person and this timeline doesn't even have the same sin as my Bismarck and Victorious. Well, almost for the former because she saved me before I could die. Those two are innocent to a degree, so I'm irritated thinking I wanted to kill this timeline's older sister and dearest friend which will fulfill what I hated the most - seeing myself succumb to the depravity of what the Royal Navy mocked as the "Beast".

"I don't want to do that......"

Tirpitz and I share the same senses, so I'm aware of her experiences most of the time, but I only focus on her conversations with her Bismarck and Victorious. Since our consciousness partially fused, it's as if I'm there to witness her memories.

"You've always been like this, Victorious......"

I don't have any grudge towards her Victorious since she deeply cared about her friend while Tirpitz genuinely tries her best to regain her lost emotions. The heart I thought shattered for a long time reminded me of guilt for the first time.

"I see. What's strongly keeping me here......is to be put to rest......"

Some time I left to finish off Victorious, I'm forced to admit I lived so I could die......on my own terms. Dead people can't stay dead because of unfinished business. To think that's true for me as if the universe wants to remind me of who I am and finally to resolve seeking a peaceful death.

........
.......

Since Tirpitz's body is comatose, the consciousness remains active within her inner world that's still an endless plain of snow and dead trees around her. At the very least, there's a bench she could sit on while staring at the freezing shore of Kafjord. Tirpitz's thoughts and origins are strongly tied to the frigid north, so her subconscious laid out the imaginary world before her.

"Since you're so bored, you've been reliving your past"

Victorious META sits at the bench as well and joins her in staring at the unchanging view in front of them.

"Aren't you supposed to be dead?" Tirpitz briefly glances at her
"I am" Victorious META lightly nods
"Then why are you here?"
"Why don't you ask yourself?" Victorious META returns the question to her
"........"
"Why do you think I'm here after you killed me?"

Rather than be annoyed at Victorious META trying to sound mysterious and vague, Tirpitz puts her elbow on the bench's side and rests her head on her hand. Tirpitz no longer has any desire for revenge, her two moods are either uninterested or annoyed.

"Your blizzard at full power can cause severe hypothermia which leads to death.....or hallucinatation depending on the resistance. A part of your mind just couldn't let go, Tirpitz" Victorious META giggles
"Did Bismarck think you were back from the dead too?" Tirpitz sighs
"Perhaps that or you just didn't want to Bismarck to deem you the villain of that fight"
"That's oddly specific. Then again, you might be just in my head....."

Tirpitz barely cares about Victorious META right now and brushes her off as a figment of her imagination since she's not even awake. There's no hostility from Tirpitz, but she doesn't find the company of an actually dead META to be comforting.

"Why don't you wake up, Tirpitz? Your power can only weaken your body at best" Victorious META tilts her head
"I don't want to fully assimilate this body. Even if it's uncomfortable at times, I won't let it be consumed by my corrosion as a META" Tirpitz looks away
"You're really a big softie" Victorious META pokes her in the cheek
"........"
"Right now, you're scared of how you're going to tell them in the future"
".......?!" Tirpitz straightens herself
"Your consciousness, remember?"
"I'd rather tell them than let them discover it for themselves, but I just can't...."

Tirpitz crosses her arms, weighing on her choice to confess or conceal. The way she lives, she's highly reluctant to confess since everyone is living relatively peacefully and with content.

"Don't tell me you came to care about Victorious. You're hurting my feelings" Victorious META jokingly comments
"You're dead as hell. I made sure of it" Tirpitz frowns at her
"I'm still right, though? You accepted this life, so now you treat Victorious as your dear friend"
"......."

Tirpitz couldn't respond because she couldn't admit to her truth. Her hands tense when she recalls a few days ago on how she genuinely wished the peaceful days could last. It's her selfishness born from the fear of losing her second chance in life and selflessness from her determination to keep "Tirpitz" alive for everyone.

"That's why I've been thinking how heartless I will be if I confess the truth?" Tirpitz closes her eyes
"Still, a lie is a lie no matter the noble intentions"
"Why am I getting lectured by a dead friend who I personally killed for revenge?" Tirpitz mutters to herself
"Have you ever thought what led to the other Tirpitz willingly give her body to you? When and How she came to realize you're not really evil and just want a second chance in life?"
"How should I know? She's dead"

One of the primary things that can irritate Tirpitz is the reminder of the body's original owner.

"Still, aren't you curious?"
"......A little, but it doesn't matter right now" Tirpitz couldn't look at Victorious META
"You're such a big dummy" Victorious META keeps poking her
"You can't stop haunting me.....even after I killed you"

Tirpitz refuses to make direct eye contact with Victorious META when she's regularly reminded of their last clash. Victorious META managed to plunge a sword of ice in Tirpitz's chest while the latter punched right through her chest.

__________________________________________________________________________

Bismarck massages her temples while Victorious keeps pacing back and forth. The two take the discussion in Bismarck's office, but Bismarck can't concentrate while Victorious won't stop going from left to right.

"Why would you let Akagi help you?" Victorious flails her arms
"I needed her expertise on the black wisdom cube.....and experience against Bismarck META"
"Wait, wait, Bismarck META?!" Victorious blinks several times
"Yes. The culprit for unleashing the salvaged rigging is my META version"
"I-I didn't know about this......!"

Victorious suddenly feels slightly dizzy and takes a few steps back while her left lightly presses the side of her head.

"I informed everyone and even King George V" Bismarck slightly tilts her head
"She didn't say which META. Just that a META defeated you"
"Knowing her, she must have thought you wouldn't take it well who caused this incident....." Bismarck rubs her chin
"Bismarck META. Not only was she a culprit to Tirpitz META being an angry ghost, now my Tirpitz is in a coma because of her!"
"........"

Bismarck stares blankly since her thoughts remind her of when Bismarck META first reveals herself. Then the same META catches Tirpitz off guard and proceeds to both stab her from behind and cut her down.

"I'll hunt her down not only for retribution but also for the answers I need from her" Bismarck clenches her fists
"I want answers too. Like why she tried to revive Tirpitz META and why she only showed up now"
"You don't need to be involved, Victorious. Not only is she an enemy but Tirpitz will get involved if you get hurt"
"So you want to face her by yourself?"
"I will defeat her myself" Bismarck remains determined
"........"

Once Bismarck makes a vow to herself, it's nearly impossible to persuade her into rethinking her decision. Victorious gives up in silence since she knows to herself that she can't stop Bismarck.

"Wait, you didn't tell me yet why you accept Akagi's help. Last time she talked to Tirpitz, she tried to pick a fight" Victorious stomps her foot
"That's....."

Bismarck clears her throat because she has to narrate the event that transpired after the meeting and before Bismarck's arrival.

........
........

Shortly after the meeting with selected kansens and reaching an agreement, Bismarck returns to her office and occupies herself with Iron Blood's past research on black wisdom cube. It's the culprit responsible for putting Bismarck out of commission for a while, but Tirpitz's case involves a dead META who might be causing another problem.

"Geryon rid of the corrosion consuming me, but Tirpitz's case is strange. Her wisdom cube is unusually safe while her body is completely affected" Bismarck grits her teeth
"You're really doing everything to save your sister"

Neumark is helping Bismarck with studying their past research and experiences with the black wisdom cube and the METAs.

"I sent my sister to her death again......" Bismarck takes a deep breath
"Then you're only saving her to ease your guilt?" Neumark questions her
"Of course not. I can't accept seeing Tirpitz hurt when I could have protected her. When I meet Bismarck META again, I swear I'll defeat her"

Bismarck is upset at herself and furious at Bismarck META for the outcome even if no one is really certain how the rigging is activated since it needed a signal from its owner.

"Bismarck, the truth is I approached someone for help the whole day you were unconscious. I needed someone's insight on the black wisdom cube and previous encounter with Bismarck META" Neumark lowers her head
"Neumark?" Bismarck senses Neumark's worry and fear
"We're both cautious of her, but I'm setting it aside"
"Who did you invite in Iron Blood?" Bismarck steps forward
"......"

There's a minute of silence between the two since Neumark is refusing to give in to Bismarck's tension out of reluctance.

"........"

They both turn their heads towards the door when they hear a brief argument outside and a familiar sly laugh as the door slowly opens.

"Akagi?!"

A pair of fox ears stand straight and twitch, making Bismarck easily recognize the red fox even if the door is barely opened.

"Good grief. You always do what you want" Prinz Eugen shakes her head
"You were hesitating to open the door, so I opened it myself" Akagi says while holding the doorknob
"Here's your visitor, Neumark. She's your problem now" Prinz Eugen quickly leaves
"......." Bismarck blinks in surprise

Akagi enters the room with an optimistic smile on her face and deliberately ignores Bismarck's sudden disbelief.

"It's been a while, Bismarck. I just can't help but visit when Tirpitz's worrywart of a doctor came to the Sakura Empire" Akagi winks at Neumark
"Neumark, explain" Bismarck orders her
"I visited the Sakura Empire hoping for Akagi's input, but she insisted on waiting for you to recover so she could speak with you" Neumark briefly explains
"I do hope you don't take the mishap during the festival too personally. It was just a misunderstanding"
"......."

Bismarck isn't naive to fall for halfhearted words, but Akagi has no malice so she remains tolerant and patient. It's the scheming and cunning types with a devilish smile that Bismarck dislikes, but she remains disciplined so long as they're allies.

"Your repair ship needed help in stabilizing the Type Zwei rigging for your little sister. Her condition is dire, isn't it?" Akagi tilts her head
"You told her everything?" Bismarck frowns at Neumark
"I did. If we need her help, then we need to be transparent. Hopefully, she's the same" Neumark glances at Akagi
"Are you cautious because this means you're going to owe me and the Sakura Empire a favor?" Akagi presses her index finger on her lips
"No, I am not" Bismarck firmly replies
"Then....."
"The situation is unpredictable. My sister is in a comatose and the only way to treat the corrosion of the black wisdom cube is through a Zwei retrofit"
"Doing so will keep the META's influence in check and prevent the same META from resurrecting" Akagi smirks
"I know you have your intentions, Akagi. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so eager to come here when someone you barely know asks for help"
"I admit I'm curious to how a rigging survived even after its owner is dead. Maybe the owner isn't as dead as you think"

Akagi steps forward until she's a meter from Bismarck and stares at her right in the eyes. Even if Bismarck is known as the fierce and indomitable leader of Iron Blood, Akagi is certain Bismarck is cautious and worried for Tirpitz's sake - a vulnerability she could easily guess at first glance.

"Tirpitz META's wisdom cube was destroyed alongside Victorious META. I was there when it happened" Bismarck answers with full certainty
"Wasn't she fragmented. As far as I know, Iron Blood didn't confirm if that was the only piece of her left"
"Just how much did you spill out, Neumark?" Bismarck faintly grunts
"Don't blame your repair ship. I mean I was headbutted by the pet rigging of your META version"

Akagi stands back and gently rubs her forehead, genuinely upset at the reminder of her mild humiliation.

"You encountered Bismarck META?" Bismarck is somewhat curious
"It's more like she passed by chance and when I tried to take her on, a rowdy metallic beast sent me flying with a headbutt"

Akagi frowns and shakes her head as she's actually furious and a bit vengeful when a metallic dragon charged at her in alarming speed before she could launch her aircraft.

"Anyhow, as we're both parties cooperating under Azur Lane, our interests should align"
"......." Bismarck just crossed her arms
"Bismarck, you want to help your sister and I want to study this rigging. The fact that Bismarck META actually took effort to gather and reassemble it means it has some form of value" Akagi makes her interest obvious
"......."
"I will provide my knowledge about the wisdom cube and help stabilize your sister's Type Zwei rigging only if Iron Blood lets me investigate the salvaged rigging that Bismarck META worked so hard to reassemble"

Akagi stretches out her hand as she makes her offer to Bismarck which believes to be beneficial for both sides. It's an equal trade of knowledge and information between allies, but Bismarck has her reservations.

"We can help each other out and get what we want in a fair trade. If it was the others, it would have been free, but it's better to have assurance" Akagi cheerfully smiles
"........"
"This way, we both have bargains to hold on. If the other doesn't comply, then it's only just to seek payment"

Bismarck lets out a deep exhale since her instincts continue to be wary just by staring at Akagi's curious and excited scarlet red eyes.

"In exchange for your cooperation, I will allow you to research the salvaged rigging"

It only takes Bismarck less than a minute to agree with Akagi's seemingly simple offer. Although she senses Akagi has more intentions, she's not naive or careless at the possibility she would be tricked or outsmarted within her territory.

"Fufufu~ You agreed so quickly. Is trusting me in your territory worth the chance of your sister's survival?" Akagi covers her lips with the tip of her fingers
"Yes" Bismarck immediately replies
"......."

Much to Akagi's surprise, she could visibly see Bismarck's stern reply without a hint of doubt. She blinks, completely puzzled at the easy response she wouldn't expect out of Bismarck.

"It's true that you've changed" Akagi loosens her sly attitude for a moment
"I enforced what I believed was for the best and it resulted in a conflict with an undead META. Akagi, I nearly lost my sister and I don't wish for it to happen again"
"Of course, it's only through attempted murder and violence that Bismarck realized her mistake" Neumark shrugs
"As someone who would do anything for their sister, I can understand to a degree. Although I'm less stubborn and prideful compared to you"

Just as Akagi is sincere with her first statement, she immediately makes a joke and slight mockery for a second statement.

"Akagi I'm accepting your offer on the condition you can only investigate the rigging under supervision and only until Tirpitz fully recovers"
"Hmm, as much as I want to bargain more, I suppose it's enough time for me to investigate the rigging"

Akagi's ears briefly fold on both sides but perk up again at the excitement despite Bismarck's restriction and obvious wariness. It's something she has expected from Bismarck and Akagi remains confident because of it.

"Then we have ourselves a deal?" Akagi stretches out her hand doe handshake
"I accept it. Hopefully you're not as daring as to betray my trust" Bismarck accepts the handshake

Bismarck willingly gambles in letting Akagi study the rigging out of her claim in interest as to why Bismarck META bothered to repair the salvage rigging in a barely operational state.

........
........

Bismarck lightly sighs as she only explains what Victorious needs to know or what she only has to know as of the moment. If anything, she summarized the whole ordeal since dealing Akagi won't end in a simple agreement.

"Akagi certainly has knowledge about METAs and black wisdom cubes, but it's just too fishy" Victorious shakes her head
"I'm aware, but I can't be picky since I don't have all the time in the world"

Bismarck is aware of the possible risk, but she gambles in the thought Akagi wouldn't want to strain the Sakura Empire's friendly ties with Iron Blood for her selfishness.

"T-then when will this rigging be completed?" Victorious swallows her breath
"As much as possible, my goal is to perform the retrofit in less than three days" Bismarck can't confirm
"If Tirpitz retrofits to Zwei, will she be fine? No more danger from the META's influence?"
"Neumark stated an eighty percent of success since Tirpitz will only regain consciousness after retrofitting to Zwei"
"I want this to succeed because this means Tirpitz can't be haunted by another META or becoming one herself" Victorious clutches her dress
"I do hope so too....."

Bismarck lifts her left hand and stares when she reminds herself of the moment she notices Tirpitz's META abilities subtly manifesting possibly due to the META's influence continues to linger.

"I won't repeat the mistake of the other me. I caused you too much suffering already"

Bismarck shakes her head trying to forget how her attempt to save Tirpitz in the past only caused her to gain an uncontrollable ability and nearly losing her humanity.

"......"

They hear a knock three times and both turn their attention at the door.

"Apologies. Am I interrupting anything?" King George V gently pushes the door open
"Don't worry, you're not" Bismarck faintly smiles
"Oh, thank goodness"
"Is something the matter?" Bismarck tilts her head
"Can we speak in private?"

King George V reluctantly enters the room, but she stays near the door even after stepping foot inside.

"We'll continue later, Victorious. It seems King George V has a serious matter to discuss" Bismarck looks at the aircraft carrier
"Sure, I'm fine with that"

Since the atmosphere becomes tense the moment King George V enters, Victorious sets aside her thought of wanting to remain in the room and also the fact it would be rude to not comply.

"I heard you're going to pursue Bismarck META as soon as Tirpitz recovers"

King George V speaks the moment Victorious leaves the office and the doors shut behind her.

"Correct. I'm going to hunt her down myself" Bismarck nods
"I suggest you don't pursue an opponent who defeated you with ease" King George V speaks without hesitation
"Do you believe I wouldn't defeat her?"
"Yes"

The moment King George V says it, the two glare each other lessening the formality end friendliness in that moment.

"Bismarck, that META isn't someone you must challenge. It's not worth the risk" King George V tries to pursuade her
"Do you think I'm seeking revenge for my defeat?" Bismarck steps forward
"Are you?"
"It's the same Bismarck META who tried to resurrect Tirpitz META and indirectly caused the vengeful META to try and kill me"
"........"

The side of King George V's lips slightly twitch knowing she can't blame Bismarck for despising her META version for the careless mistake.

"She reassembled the salvaged rigging, so she still planning something even after she toyed with her Tirpitz's life"
"Do you despise her because of the same mistake?" King George V returns with a question
"Yes. I learned how I thought I could decide Tirpitz's fate and how I should have told her I simply wanted my sister to live....." Bismarck clenches her fists
"Even if you're doing it for her sin, it's not worth the risk"

Seeing how Bismarck is indeed stubborn with her decisions half of the time, King George V is losing her patience since she deals with both version of Bismarck. The current one is strong-headed while the other is simply callous with everyone's opinion.

"Besides, I feel like your current plan with the Zwei retrofit is dangerous. Tirpitz's body is weakened so she could either die or the corrosion transforms her"
"I've spoken with the others and I'm doing everything I can to ensure it won't end in either of those outcome"
"Type Zwei is supposed to stop the wisdom cube's corrosion because of METAmorphosis but it will just chain her down"

King George V's instincts are urging her to confess it wouldn't have any useful effect when the kansen in question is already a META. What she fears is how it will affect Tirpitz when her body remains normal but the wisdom cube belongs to a META.

"Not to mention, you have Akagi's help in completing the modified Zwei rigging" King George V groans
"I needed her experience with the black wisdom cubes"
"This is a recipe for disaster"

King George V doesn't need to be a genius to guess having Akagi involved and Tirpitz's realization once she regains consciousness will spark conflict or another incident similar to one year ago.

"Bismarck, I need your permission to supervise and ensure this process ends without disaster" King George V presses he hand on her chest
"Is it fine for a knight to get involved? I have trust and faith in you as a comrade-in-arms, but there's no need for you to be involved"
"Victorious is already involved. As much as I protest having a fellow Royal Navy ship take part in this, she's the only Tirpitz listens to" King George V sighs in defeat
"What do you mean?"
"So long as Victorious is present, Tirpitz wouldn't wreck havoc once she recovers"
"Do you think the result will be.....awry?"
"Perhaps.....since the rigging is not only untested but a modified version using the rigging of a META" King George V frowns
"Then doesn't this mean Victorious is a contingency plan?"
"Victorious herself wants to ensure the one who will regain consciousness is her friend and not the META, who by the way, has a deep grudge against you"

Having been reminded of the attempted murder of that certain incident, Bismarck's hands tensed. The only reason it ended quickly is because Tirpitz META faints before landing a blow.

"The rigging will be completed in two days. We're speeding up the process since Tirpitz's condition might worsen if I delay it further" Bismarck eases her tension with a deep sigh
"......."
"Although I'm giving you permission to take part as a supervisor and observer, I won't allow Victorious to be involved"
"That's not up to either of us. You have to either throw her out or tie her to a pole to stop her" King George V shakes her head
"........"
"That said, I will remain as an observer and if this plan ends with Tirpitz META's resurrection, I will have you liable for this"

Even if King George V speaks with a stern and threatening tone, her inner thoughts are primarily worried at Tirpitz's reactions once she reawakens rather than fearing Iron Blood accidentally resurrecting a META.

"I will take full responsibility. You have my word" Bismarck nods in complete agreement
"......."

Since Bismarck META wouldn't act for a while, King George V sets her focus on guarding Bismarck out of the possibility she either discovers the truth or Tirpitz unintentionally revealing herself.

_______________________________________________________________________

Sakura Empire

Akagi cherishes the warm steam and relaxing aroma of her favorite while she gently pours her cup full. Her smile is rather relaxed and gentle when she's not worried about taking out rivals or instigating conflict.

"You look happy"

Kaga can't help but comment as she stares at the pictures of the salvaged rigging that's still in the custody of Iron Blood.

"I didn't expect Bismarck to let her guard down that easily. She really wanted her dear little sister to recover" Akagi mildly scoffs
"They say she's relaxed compared to before. I wonder what happened between her and her sister"
"That's none of my concern. There's a chance rather than a successful Zwei, Iron Blood might resurrect a supposedly dead META"

Looking at the photo of the mangled rigging, Akagi curves an excited smile with eyes sharper than a beast.

"Dead META?" Kaga's ear twitches
"The owner of the rigging was Tirpitz META, so I assume Bismarck META attempted to resurrect her"
"Another pair of META sisters......"
"I wondered how she would resurrect a dead META through a rigging, but the fact it only moved during the battle means either it could resurrect the META through the current Tirpitz.....or Tirpitz is already a META"
".......?!"

Even if Akagi says it, she's still hypothesizing on the possibility since Tirpitz's records are still classified and she's not even allowed to get near the comatose battleship.

"You said she's a normal kansen" Kaga furrows her eyebrows
"She is, but I think it's more the influence of a META lingers on her, so she can awaken as a META if her wisdom cube fully succumbs to corrosion"

Rather than be worried or anxious, Akagi couldn't let down her smile that Kaga could already read she's eager and excited at the possibility it would result in a META.

"I don't like that lone queen's scent. Although I want to take her out to prevent another headache like Bismarck META......"
"Don't make an enemy out of Iron Blood. You're going to drag the Sakura Empire!"

Kaga slams the low table that their tea nearly spills. As much as she's always following Akagi, her current scheme will cause trouble for everyone much like a certain incident in the past.

"That's why I'm going to have the perfect excuse to do it"
"What?!" Kaga grits her teeth
"If Tirpitz goes berserk from rejecting the modified rigging, it stands to reason to stop her"
"I can't let you do that. Iron Blood may be prideful and stubborn, but Bismarck isn't stupid" Kaga keeps warning her
"She's certainly stupid because she didn't realize something was off with her sister" Akagi scoffs
"That again....."
"The moment Bismarck's sister bares her fangs as a hostile META, then I'm going to incinerate her myself"
"This is one of those times where you'd get a humiliating beating again like how Bismarck META kicked you like a pebble"

Kaga continues to be against Akagi's scheme knowing she couldn't let Akagi endanger herself, but a part of her wishes for Akagi to learn not to provoke anyone, let alone underestimate them.

"For that humiliation and hindering she caused, I'm going to bait her into realizing not even a META can hinder me"
"Now you're going to pick a fight with a META who just defeated Bismarck with Type Zwei rigging" Kaga slams the table again
"Iron Blood didn't expect she would be their opponent and got caught off guard, but she cannot catch me off guard. This time, I'm the one who's going to take her down and force the answers out of her"
"You're going to regret this, but you'll never learn until it's beaten into you"

Kaga is on the brink of giving up keeping Akagi from charging straight to harm's way since her confidence will only be a realization if she suffers defeat and humiliation. Still, Kaga wouldn't simply abandon her if it risks Akagi getting herself killed.

________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 12: Black King, Red Fox

With Akagi's help, the Type Zwei rigging is nearly complete. Bismarck is aware Akagi is patiently waiting to strike someone, but she continues to observe her actions. Just then, Neumark discovers crucial information from the salvaged rigging....but King George V interrupts the moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 151 11
Former Ranger and Marine Y/N L/N was transferred to Mobile Task Force Epsilon 11 of the SCP foundation but when a containment breach happens he accid...
6.7K 189 30
After a failed operation, Tirpitz could no longer live a normal life because Bismarck urged her to keep on fulfilling her duty, and this result in Ti...
17.5K 631 19
Life was never simple or easy... a fact I had accepted in the face of harsh reality, yet there's always a twist at the end or in my case, death decid...
46.8K 617 16
Dreaming of saving people while serving as a soldier, Y/N built a suit made of mixed metals experimented by himself and created what he calls a Gunda...