Lux Academy; The Beginning

By Vo1d23

Nora was nothing special, she never considered herself so. But when a mysterious letter is given to her by an... More

CHAPTER ONE: "L"
CHAPTER TWO: MAGIC
CHAPTER THREE: REBIRTH
CHAPTER FOUR: STATUS
CHAPTER FIVE: HOUSE
CHAPTER SIX: DORMS & DINNER
CHAPTER SEVEN: VISION
CHAPTER EIGHT: HISTORY

CHAPTER NINE: EGGS & WANDS

32 4 16
By Vo1d23

My friends and I swiftly arrived at the Dining Hall and were greeted by a swarm of other students.

"Greetings students," a voice as rough as bark boomed. Everyone's attention was quickly averted to the middle-aged man, with wiry hair the colour of crow's feathers. "My name is Professor Longhorn, the one and only dragon rider teacher of Lux Academy, I know you have a lot of questions, so I'll let Professor Paisley explain the rest."

He gestured towards a tall, fair-skinned woman with long pale blonde hair, like washed-out gold. "Hello, everyone, I'm Professor Paisley, an advanced charms teacher, and you'll find out soon enough why you've been summoned."

"That wasn't much of an explanation!" some student grumbled.

"Patience is a virtue," Professor Paisley snapped.

"Could all the House of the Unicorn students please make their way over to the tables first," Professor Longhorn ordered.

I watched intently as the students obeyed, walking towards the tables. I noticed that some tables were lined with rectangular birch boxes and square birch boxes.

I wonder what's inside them.

As I observed I was struck with confusion when some students still hadn't picked up any boxes. Surely it was obvious that they were supposed to choose a box.

"Congratulations to those who received a box," Professor Paisley said solemnly. "Those who don't have a box may leave now. Those who do can come back over here and do not open your box or boxes."

"I hope I get a box!" Luna whispered shouted.

"I wonder what's inside them," I pondered.

"I think I know," Sophie said. "But I'm not telling."
"Why not?" Luna complained.

"Because Professor Paisley wouldn't be very happy about it," Sophie replied.

As Luna and Sophie continued to converse I watched on as the House of the Griffin students, took their turn at grabbing boxes. Would I receive a box? Or were these boxes only reserved for those with magical blood? Bitterness swam inside me. I couldn't help that I was born a plain and ordinary human.

My thoughts drifted to my father, who was left on the farm all alone. Was he alright? Homesickness ensnared me like thick vines. I hadn't realised how much I missed my father; I missed him with every fiber of my being. Did he miss me too? Had loneliness started to gnaw at him? Was too late to want to go home? I glanced at Luna who was trying to extract information from Sophie about what she thought was inside the boxes. A soft smile tugged at my lips. I couldn't go home, not now that I had met Luna, Valkyrie, and my other dormmates.

"Students of the House of the Phoenix it's now your turn," Professor Paisley instructed.

I eagerly stepped up to the tables, wondering what I was supposed to do next. Was I supposed to pick up any box? If that was the case why did some students not pick up any? As I trekked around the table stacked with rectangular boxes, an invisible tugged at me, guiding my body, I was no longer in control. I came to a halt in front of a box that looked much older and worn than the others. The once gorgeous silvery white wood was now splintered and dull. The letter 'N' was engraved on the box's lid.

"Why are you standing there like a stunned deer?" Luna asked as she approached me.

"The first letter of my name is engraved on this box," I explained.

Luna's face furrowed with confusion. "I don't see an N engraved on it."

"Really?"

"Yep."

"This must be my box," I concluded, picking it up.

"I hope I get a box," Luna grumbled. "I've had no luck so far."

"Well, I hope you get one too," I said.

"Thanks!" Luna beamed.

As I made my way back over to the other gathered House of the Phoenix students who had received one or more boxes, abruptly another force yanked me, leading me in the direction of the square boxes. The box I stopped in front also had an N engraved on it. I struggled to pick up the box, its heavy weight tore at my arms.

"Could the students of the House of the Dragon, please take their turn," Professor Longhorn directed.

When Luna's eyes landed on me they brimmed with surprise. "You got two boxes? I'm extremely jealous right now."

"Where's Valkyrie?" I asked noticing her absence.

"She didn't get any boxes," Sophie answered. "Neither did Willow or Holly."

Sophie had a rectangular box; Luna had a square box just like Krystal and Amber.

"I think it's time you found out what's inside those boxes," Professor Paisley announced. "In the rectangular boxes is a wand, and you'll be joining Professor Lopez's charms class, feel free to take a look at your wand."

I handed my square box to Luna before I slid off the lid of my rectangular box. Inside was a long, slender ash wood wand. It looked rather plain and boring compared to Sophie's rosewood wand which had patterns etched on it. Mine just looked like a stick.

Internally I laughed at the irony. I was just like my wand, plain and nothing unique.
I put the lid back on my wand's case, handed it to Sophie who offered to hold it, and took my square box from Luna.

Is the thing in this box going to be plain as well?

"I'm sure many of you will be excited when you find out what's inside the square boxes," Professor Longhorn assured. "Inside them is a dragon egg! Go on take a look!"

Excitement sparked through the room, as students eagerly opened their square box. I opened mine expecting to see a vibrant and colourful egg but instead, it was as white as bone, white like snow that capped peaks of mountains. I carefully extracted it from the box, the shell was smooth as marble. Through the thick shell, I could feel the dragon's heartbeat patter, my dragon's heartbeat.

Angel.

"Shimmer!? Did a name just randomly appear in your head?" Luna asked frantically. "Or am I going insane?"

"A name appeared in my head as well, mine was Angel," I answered.

"Same here, mine was Eclipse," Krystal added.

"Mine was Stormy," Amber said.

"Why though?" Luna wondered.

A laugh that rumbled like thunder interrupted our conversation. "It's your dragon's name, that's why!" Professor Longhorn chuckled.

Professor Paisley gave me a warm smile. "Congratulations Nora on receiving both boxes!"

"Thank you," I smiled.

Maybe, just maybe, I was special, even just a little. After all, I was a non-magical, but yet I had received both boxes when many of those with magical blood had not. Would this alter people's opinion of me? Would people start to realise I wasn't just some useless non-magical?

We'll see.

It had the power to potentially morph some people's opinion of me, but it was dubious that it would change the opinion of the likes of Felix, Amelia, and their cliques.

"What kind of wand did you get?" Professor Paisley questioned.

I fished my wand out of its case, suppressing the urge to frown at its lack of character.

Professor Paisley's eyes looked like two moons, they pulsed with shock.

Confusion swamped me. Was she shocked at how plain it looked? Because I didn't blame her.

"I've . . . never," Professor Paisley stuttered.

"What? That you've never seen a wand as plain and dull looking as this?" I joked.

"No, that's not it," Professor Paisley said still struck with awe. "Not once have I ever laid my eyes upon that wand until now. I've checked through every single wand box thousands of times, yet I've never seen it."

"Perhaps you missed one," I offered. "Or maybe you don't remember it because of how dull it looks."

"I'm . . . not sure," Professor Paisley muttered. She looked dissociated, enthralled in thought.

"What kind of dragon egg did you get?" Professor Longhorn quired.

I carefully pulled my egg out of its box and cradled it in my arms.

"Oh my," Professor Longhorn breathed. "That is no plain, dull, or normal egg. Not at all. That is the egg of the rare white wyvern, I was wondering which student would receive it and to be brutally honest I did not expect it would be you."

"Anyway!" he exclaimed clapping his hands together. "Everyone is dismissed!" he bellowed. "Those who received a dragon egg will need to take them to the hatchery, congratulations again everyone!"

As I trekked after my friends my thoughts raged like a torrent of water. Why me? Why was it me who received a rare egg, or a wand Professor Paisley had never seen before? I recalled my run-in with the Room of Visions, Principal Goldhart had mentioned it only appeared to certain people. I struggled to grapple with the concept of being special, something bigger than myself.

Perhaps I'm reading into it a little too much.

Was my destiny bigger than this? Why was I even here? So many questions were left without answers. My thoughts continued to swallow me as we made the journey to the hatchery.

After dropping our dragon eggs to the hatchery, and taking our wands to our dorm, Luna, Sophie, and I made our way to the Dining Hall for lunch. We joined our dormmates' table and tucked into the succulent and delicious food that was laid out neatly on the table.

"Do you know what class we have next?" I asked waving around my fork.

"I believe it's the Class of Elements," Sophie answered.

"Is that a good thing?" I questioned.

"Well . . . I don't exactly know how to say this," Sophie said shyly. "But . . . um . . . it might not be a good thing for you. Since you're a non-magical, they tend to lack Elemental powers."

"Great!" I groaned.

"Although," Sophie added hurriedly "You're a non-magical, and yet you received a wand and a dragon egg. That's a good sign that you'll also have Elemental powers."

Sophie's words let some hope shine through the cracks. I prayed that she wasn't wrong.

I was about to reply with a warm thank you for her support when someone lightly tapped my shoulder. I turned my head to find Jasper standing there gazing at me timidly.

"May I sit with you?" he requested softly.

"Sure!" I replied brightly, making room so he could sit next to me.

"Thank you," he said quietly.

Something sharp dug into my rib, I whipped around to face Luna, who had a wide smile plastered on her face.

"Who's the cute boy?" she whispered.

"His name is Jasper," I responded in a hushed voice.

"Jasper," Luna said slowly. "A fitting name for a cute boy."

Jasper let out an abrupt, sharp cough. "Um . . . I'm sorry to make this awkward . . . but I could hear everything you were saying."

I turned to face him, his face flushed a bright tomato red.

"I'm sorry, we didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable," I apologised.

"I'm not sorry," Luna said strongly. "You should have the right to know you're cute!"

Jasper hung his head lower, letting his fluffy crow-black hair hide his intense blushing.

"Well, well look at this!" someone scoffed. Anger flickered inside me like a candle flame when I realised who it was, Amelia, with her clique, gazing at us with disdain.

"Looks like my brother joined the loser's table," she snickered.

"More like he left the asshole table," Luna retorted.

Amelia looked ablaze with outrage; her face was twisted with scorn. "Your table is a freak show! You've got a malformed chicken, a stupid ADHD demi-human, two stupid hybrids, a feeble witch, a useless dragon rider, a non-magical, and now a weak, blood-traitor werewolf! Before you dare try to insult my table like that again take a second to look at yours!"

"Your table is full of a bunch of arses who think they're better than everyone else!" Luna snarled. "I don't need to take a second look at my table to know it's full of better people than yours!"

Amelia's rage consumed her like flames, she was trying so hard to hold a cold, unbothered visage. "Anyway," she dismissed loudly. Her beady eyes landed on me, and a cruel smile tugged at her lips. "I can't wait for everyone to snicker at you when you don't receive an element! I hope the sheer embarrassment drives you out of this place. See you losers later!"

I watched, annoyance pricking me, as Amelia and her friends sashayed away.

"Don't listen to her," Luna told me fiercely. "That slag doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm sure you'll receive an elemental power. After all, you did receive both boxes, something only a handful of other students achieved as well."

Doubt crawled inside me. My hope dwindled like a dying flame. The words of Amelia dug deep into my skin. I couldn't help but feel she was right.

All I can do is pray.

Anxiousness consumed me as we waited outside of the elemental classroom. Anticipation and excitement rose from the other students, I didn't feel a shred of excitement.

"Ah, welcome students!" an angelic voice beamed. "I'm Professor MacQuoid!"

She had hair the colour of hazelnuts, that was no longer than her shoulders, and her eyes were as blue as Arctic waters.

"I'm so glad I get to teach all the students of the House of the Phoenix about the elements before any other House. My House was the House of the Phoenix, we're the best!" she exclaimed. Happy cheer and commotion erupted.

"Okay, settle down," she laughed. "When you enter the classroom everyone please stand near the front of the classroom, I have something to show you."

I trailed beside Luna, dreading every step. The classroom didn't have any desks or chairs, there was a chalk whiteboard at the front of the classroom and a birch wood desk for the Professor, the rest of the room was smooth yellow sandstone. In the middle of the classroom was a large stone platform with symbols engraved on it, representing each element. I recited each element.

Ice, fire, water, earth, wind, lightning, and nature.

The class was dead silent as Professor MacQuoid trekked toward the middle of the classroom. Everyone was taken by surprise when fire erupted from her hand, creating a ribbon of flame that she controlled, from the other hand erupted shards of ice. They swirled around her, surrounding her in a storm of ice and fire before they vanished in an explosion of embers and small ice crystals.

The class howled and cheered; I was struck with awe.

"Pretty cool, huh?" she asked, flicking her hair back. "However, don't expect to receive more than one element. Controlling more than one is a difficult task, it takes years of practice and dedication. With that, who's ready to receive their element?"

I'd be lucky to even receive one element!

"I would like all of you to create a line at the Element Stone, please," Professor MacQuoid instructed.

The students moved like a herd of cattle, I tried to make my way to the very front of the line, desperately wanting to get this over and done with, but someone pushed me out of the way.

"Get out of my way!" Felix snarled.

"Get to the back of the line, non-magical!" someone else added.

I was shoved and herded to the very back of the line, my head hung limply, and my heart felt as if it was going to shatter like glass. Why did people need to treat me like I was dirt? We weren't so different, underneath our flesh we were all the same.

"Once you step onto the Element Stone the element locked inside you will burst free, this will enable you to use it at your will, however, our next lesson will be all about learning how to control your element," Professor MacQuoid informed. "The first person may now step on the Element Stone."

I watched absently as my Housemates stood on the Element Stone, so far everyone had received one, my friends had already received theirs. Luna's was fire, Valkyrie's was wind, Sophie's was water, Willow's was nature, Holly's was earth, Krystal's was lightning, Amber's was fire, and Jasper's was water. I frowned as I watched Amelia stride onto the platform, I sniggered at the thought of her not receiving an element. Much to my displeasure, ice burst around her, signifying her element was ice. After her was Felix, a ribbon of fire swirled around him, and a devilish grin appeared on his face. "Fire beats ice, watch out Amelia, you stupid mutt."

"I'll freeze you solid, mosquito," Amelia spat.

I dissociated as the two continued to hurl insults at each other before Professor MacQuoid broke up their argument. The line gradually grew shorter and shorter, my dread growing and growing. I sucked in my breath as Leo Ajax, a lion demi-human, stood off the Element Stone, he shot me a small reassuring smile, and I reciprocated with a weak smile. As I stood on the Element Stone, time seemed to slow. Unease swarmed me, as heartbeats ticked by, and nothing happened. No element burst from the Stone to wrap around me.

"It seems," Professor MacQuoid said slowly and awkwardly. "That Nora has not received an element."

Students started to howl with laughter and toss insults and comments at me. Shame and embarrassment swallowed me. My skin felt hotter than a flame, I wanted to flee.

"I told you!" Amelia howled above everyone else.

Tears pooled in my eyes, threatening to overflow.

I was rooted to the Element Stone, my body wouldn't move, it couldn't.

What is wrong with me? 

***As always thanks for reading! I know that once again it took a long time to update but I've been studying like crazy and hardly have anytime to write 🥲 Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this LONGER Chapter, as it did establish more important information. I feel horrible that Nora didn't receive an element, how about you? What do you all think of Jasper? 🤭😏  

Thanks for the reads, votes, and comments!***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61 7 5
In the mystical realm of Blairania, where magic weaves through the very fabric of existence, Stella, a newly awakened mystic with a lineage as unique...
13K 471 35
Y/N white daughter of Jennifer and Nathaniel White, Sister of Lewis and Harris White. Senior at Elk Valley High School got suspend 3 months into the...
522K 22K 36
Meet Kate. A snappy powerful free-runner, or rogue, with a strong animal side that even she doesn't know. However, being powerful pulls her into Myth...
907 109 48
RAMPAGING ORCS. SAVAGE BEASTLIES. AND... STUDENTS? In the heart of a Kingdom on the verge of another long and brutal war lies Barrett's Academy, an e...