This Love

Por jowanderstruck

Life has always been about survival for Madi Daniel, a young independent woman whose life was about to change... Mais

This Love
Chapter One- Suit Guys and Shiny Cars
Chapter Two- Busy Offices and Sexy Backs
Chapter Three- New Uniforms and New Jobs
Chapter Four- Work Lates, Past Talks and Manic Mondays
Chapter Five- Short Dresses and Drunk Perverts
Chapter Six- Car Sleeps and Unexpected Visits
Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings
Chapter Eight- Boy Bands and Lunches
Chapter Nine- Fancy Hotels and Dinner Dates
Chapter Ten- Young Millionaires and Firework Displays
Chapter Eleven- Annoying Jerks and Hot Ramens
Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones
Chapter Thirteen- Broken Glasses and Meatball Spaghettis
Chapter Fourteen- Korean Noodles and Hotdogs
Chapter Fifteen- Sharings and Messages
Chapter Sixteen- Hobbies and Sisters
Chapter Seventeen- Likes and Apologies
Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts
Chapter Nineteen- Deliveries and Pedestrian Lanes
Chapter Twenty-One- Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Two- New Relationships and Meet-Up Plans
Chapter Twenty-Three- Changed Routines and Bowling Alleys
Chapter Twenty-Four- Cozy Bars and Singing Angels
Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans
Chapter Twenty-Six- Resolved Issues and Hunted Pasts
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Farewell Kisses and Guy Best Friends
Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Love You's and Amateur Singers
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Midnight Lovers and Shy Fangirls
Chapter Thirty- Grand Birthdays and Surprise Engagements
Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers
Chapter Thirty-Two- Broken Hearts and New Addresses
Chapter Thirty-Three- Awkward Friends and Gold Packages
Chapter Thirty-Four- Peaceful Cages and Hot Professors
Chapter Thirty-Five- Hair Attachments and Posh Schools
Chapter Thirty-Six- Mellow Tunes and Heartbroken Drunks
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Smooth Moves and Lost Phones
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Drinking Buddies and Coffee Dates
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes
Chapter Forty- Ruined Dates and Childhood Homes
Chapter Forty-One- Parent Meetings and Walkouts
Chapter Forty-Two- Odd Fairytales and Sincere Apologies
Chapter Forty -Three- Ex-Fiancees and Empty Bedrooms
Chapter Forty-Four- Fashion Shows and Secretive Best Friends
Chapter Forty-Five- Fun Runways and Terrible Cooks
Chapter Forty-Six- Father Issues and Father Sides
Chapter Forty-Seven- Boyfriends
Chapter Forty-Eight- Nightouts, Business Meetings and Surprise Dinners
Chapter Forty- Nine- Memory Lanes and Yelling Ogres
Chapter Fifty- Graduations
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'

11.9K 454 92
Por jowanderstruck

Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'

Michael looked like he lost ten years of his life. His face was pale, hair tussled and dress shirt rumpled. He was panting obviously from running. Fear etched all over his face.

What happened to him?

More importantly, why is he here? How did he even know?

Kyla!

"Geez, I'm fine, Michael. Thanks for asking." I rolled my eyes at him.

He took a long breath before staring at me intently. His eyes moved from the bandage on my head to the scratches on my arm stopping to the hand resting on my hip.

"Why didn't you call me? I was looking for you at the store only to find out from Mrs. Carino that you were hit by a car." He sounded like a worried parent. Before I could respond, he turned to the nurse passing. "Where is the doctor?" he demanded. The nurse stuttered a reply and dashed to call the doctor.

"Michael, relax. I'm already getting discharged. You're worse than Kyla."

"You have no idea how worried I was. I didn't know what to expect coming here. Where's the fucker? Did you file a complaint?"

"I'm still breathing so you can stop worrying now. He's buying my prescription and paying the bills. The police left after I made a report."

"What? No we ha-."

"Excuse me, I'm Dr. Vargas. Are you her family?" the doctor cut him off.

"No." I answered the same time he said "Yes".

He scowled at me. "Fine. Yes. He's familiar but not family."

His eyes lightened and I knew he was controlling a smile. "I'm Michael Madrid. I need to know her condition, please. More specific than 'I'm fine.'"

The doctor relayed to Michael what he told me minutes ago. He was demanding more tests so I had to interrupt. They already did the necessary tests on me. He insisted that I should be confined for observation but the doctor assured I was good to go home. One more minute in this hospital and I'm going to hurl. Michael was stubborn as hell but gladly, he let it go.

David appeared with a bag when the doctor left. Michael took it and informed me that he brought clothes for me. Somehow, he knew my clothes were soiled from the accident. It's quite amusing how he anticipated my needs even before I needed it.

Without my knowledge, he requested a room where I could change. I claimed that it was completely unnecessary because there were comfort rooms in the building. He pointed out that I needed a private place to change. I simply sighed in defeat.

We made our way to the room. I was in a wheelchair being pushed by Michael. Once we reached the room, I took the paper bag from him and entered the bathroom.

Checking out the bag, I found a dress and some toiletries inside. I guessed he forgot footwear.

I tossed the hospital gown and slip on a mint maxi dress. It was one comfortable piece of clothing. It felt very light on my skin. I wondered if I have clothes like this in my closet. I should be wearing loose clothing until my bruise healed completely. Oh well, Kyla's closet would be available for me. I'm sure.

"Madeleine, do you need any help?" Michael asked behind the door.

"No." I rolled my eyes with his usage of my name. "I'm almost done." I answered as I combed my hair.

I stepped out of the room and Michael stood quickly from his chair. He shortened our proximity and I felt frozen. He tucked a few strands of hair behind my ear. His touch sent electricity through my entire body. I can feel shivers through my spine.

Suddenly, I couldn't breathe. If I know, Michael was sucking up all the air. Selfish bastard.

"I hate the person who marked your perfect face." he whispered while caressing my cheek with his thumb. "But you still look beautiful." Gosh, how come when he says it I believe him?

I made eye contact with his chest. I knew I'd melt to the ground when I stared right through his lovely browns. His lips softly touched my forehead and I was taken aback. My toes curled inside the slippers.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect you."

"It was an accident." I said in a shaky voice. "There was nothing you can do." I reasoned before he asked me to sit on the bed. When I obeyed he took my right foot and slipped on a T-strap sandal. He took the other and did the same.

Michael Madrid doesn't forget anything. I concluded in my head. "Thank you." I mumbled as he simply gazed at me. A knock on the door interrupted our staring session. "Come in."

It was Sean. I completely forgot about him. To be honest, I already forgot I just got hit by a car hours ago. Michael does things to me.

I immediately turned to look at Michael. Judging from the scowl on his face, he knew who Sean was. Of course, he does. He was like the King of Stalking and Investigating. I'm pretty sure he already ordered David or someone to investigate what happened.

"Sean." I acknowledged the guy in front of us. "This is Michael. Michael, this is-."

"The reckless driver who hit you." Michael said in an angry tone, nostrils flaring. "You should pay for what you did. Who the hell hits someone on the pedestrian lane? Do you even know what a pedestrian lane is?"

"Michael!" I snapped at him.

"I didn't mean for it to happen. I'm really sorry, Madi."

"Oh. So you guys have been acquainted?" Michael commented in disbelief.

"Michael, could you please stop. For the nth time, it was an accident so drop it." I wanted to say something else but I felt my surrounding spin. "I'm dizzy." I announced and Michael immediately wrapped his arms around me.

"Here." Sean held out a hand with a velvet case. "I had these made for you."

I wriggled out of Michael's protective arms and walked towards Sean. He volunteered to open the case and slide the new pair of glasses on me. My vision was clearer. I heard Michael groan behind me so I immediately stepped back. "Uh, thanks."

"Where's your old pair?" Michael demanded.

I opened my mouth to speak but Sean answered for me. "I stepped on it when I ran to her."

Michael rolled his eyes at him before turning to me. "You need to rest."

"I'll take you home." Sean offered.

"You think she'd risk her life with someone stupid enough to hit a person in a pedestrian lane?" Michael snorted.

"Thanks but Michael will take me home." I explained to Sean. To be the cause of a brawl was the last thing I wanted. Michael showed off his signature smug look. "Be careful on the road. Not everybody's as kind as me." I said to Sean.

"So it seemed."

"Are you two done? We should go." Michael stated.

As if on cue, David appeared to carry my things. I said goodbye to Sean taking Michael's hand.

"You're lucky she's an angel. If it was up to me, you'd never be able to drive again."

I had to pull Michael because he was one second from shoving Sean on the wall. It was obvious how he was controlling himself from punching the guy for what happened to me. I gave Sean an apologetic smile.

Where is the refined Michael Madrid that I know?

*****

"Do you want to eat anything?" Michael asked once we were inside his car.

I feel weaker than I thought. I could really use some comfort food right now. "Do you think we could drive-thru McDonalds?" I said softly.

"Of course. What would you want?"

"Fries and sundae."

"Fries and sundae are not considered dinner, Madi."

"Please." I stared at him sleepily. He looked like there was a debate going in his head.

"Fine." he agreed and I grinned at him like a kid.

Michael found it so weird that I dip the fry in the sundae before eating it. Is that weird?

We're now inside the fastfood chain. Michael and I were across each other with extra-large fries and sundaes and burgers in front of us.

"Try it." I ordered shoving an ice cream-dipped fry inches from his mouth.

"Hey!" he complained looking totally disgusted. He's such a baby. "How did you even think of that odd combination?"

"It was my thing with Rico." I explained.

The fries and sundae was one my things with Rico. The others find it disgusting especially Kyla who's so addicted to ketchup. Not for me. The saltiness of the fries deliciously complemented the sweetness and coldness of the ice cream.

"Your thing? With Rico?" Strangely, his brows formed a line.

"Yeah. We used to do it all the time freshmen year. Before he went all getting mad and ignoring me." The thought made me frown. Even if Rico and I were 'okay' now, I can't help but imagine the 'what ifs'.

"What happened?"

"I don't wanna talk about it." I was already in pain, I don't want to feel sad too.

To my surprise, he took some fries, dipped it in the sundae and swallowed hard before putting it on his mouth. His disgusted expression started to shift. He was bobbing his head in agreement that the combo was delicious. "It's not that bad."

"Admit it. I was right. It was delicious."

"Whatever."

I wasn't limping but Michael insisted on walking beside me with his hands around me like I sprained my ankle or broke my leg. He held me like I was some delicate flower or a fragile vase. He was lucky I was feeling lightheaded and I had no strength to squabble with him.

I was so engrossed with how Michael was holding me that I just noticed we weren't in front of the boarding house. We were in front of his house.

"What are we doing here?" I asked feeling a little panic. I may be woozy but I can still think straight.

"I think it'd be best if you stay here again tonight so I can look after you."

What? "Michael, my best friend's waiting for me at home. She'll be worried. Well, she is already 'coz of the accident."

"I already called her. She knows you're here."

"What? When?"

"When you're getting dressed back at the hospital."

"And she agreed to this?"

"We both agreed you'd be more comfortable here." By his tone, I knew it took a lot of convincing for Kyla to agree to this.

After a few more minutes of reasoning out with Michael, I felt exhausted so I raised my hands in defeat. He walked me to the guestroom/my bedroom and I had to kick him out since he wanted to stay until I had freshened up so he could tuck me to bed.

"I know you had a long day too. Go and rest. I promise not to sneak out."

He tried to control a chuckle but failed. It felt good to make him laugh.

"Michael," the door was half-closed when I called him out. "Thanks for saving me and my classmates from a boring lecture. I appreciate it but you have to promise to never do that again." I paused quickly adding, "Unless I ask you to."

"You're welcome and I promise." he replied, grinning. I slowly pushed the door. "Madi,"

"Yeah?" I swiftly widened the door again, my voice sounding a bit excited.

"I'll be next door if you need anything."

"Okay."

"Okay." he mirrored my response.

"Um, Michael."

"Hmm?"

"Thank you for everything."

"No problem." We awkwardly stared at each other.

Oh god, what are we doing? Honestly, I didn't want to close the door. I just want to look at him all night. But I can't.

Yesterday morning, the closet was empty. Tonight, I opened it expecting a paper bag or something but not a full closet of dresses. Even the drawers were filled with everything I could possibly need.

I took out a silk nightgown and changed into it after I brushed my teeth. After washing up, I padded through the bedroom and slowly hid myself under the covers.

Before I closed my eyes, Michael knocked and peeked in. "Hey. I just wanna make sure you have everything you need."

"Mmm." was the only sound I managed. I heard the door close and felt the bed sink. Michael's fingers brushed off hair from my face. He was lying beside. "Michael,"

"Yeah?"

"Remember I wanted to talk to you this afternoon before I-"

"Got hit by that stupid bastard?" he said cutting me off. I pouted at him. "Sorry. What did you want to talk about?"

"I need to know if you like me." I sleepily mumbled.

He chuckled as his soft fingers stroke my hair gently. "Isn't obvious?"

"Because I think I like you." I continued ignoring his response.

I wasn't sure if he was saying something or what. If he was, I didn't hear a thing.

"I'm a hundred percent sure I'm gonna forget this conversation in the morning. I'm drugged."

"It's a good thing I'll be here to remind you. Sleep now, Angel."

"Stay with me until I fall asleep."

"I'll stay with you forever."

*****

I showered and dressed ready for the day only to find out I was getting locked inside a huge house where I don't live.

After the morning greetings and breakfast, Michael dropped the bomb that he's not letting me out of the house since the doctor suggested rest from strenuous activities for at least a week. No matter how much I tried to reason out that sitting in the classroom all day wasn't a strenuous activity, he just wouldn't back down.

It was still a school day so thinking about all the things I'd miss on my classes was already stressing me out.

"Michael, I can't stay here. What am I moving in?"

"That's a very a good idea actually."

I swallowed at his response. "Ha ha ha." I rolled my eyes so hard I almost saw my brain. Just kidding. "At least take me home."

"You'd be more comfortable here."

"I get that but what do you expect me to do in here alone?"

"Who said you'll be alone?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'll work from here." he answered. My eyes immediately scanned his gorgeously domesticated look. He was only wearing a black V-neck shirt and gray jogging pants.

That moment I knew, this was one of his well calculated plans. He obviously had answers to all my questions. This wasn't an idea that just popped out of his head. He had been thinking about it.

Michael stayed true to his words. We were going nowhere. He took the liberty to call my best friend for me. They had quite a long conversation so I was very curious what they talked about. Clearly, it was about me but I needed specifics.

He toured me around the house after his phone call with Kyla. He had a wine cellar and mini bar on the basement which I found really amazing. Working in a club did that to me.

It was a five-bedroom house. Only God knows how many baths. I wondered why there were so many rooms when he lived alone. His study was on the first floor along with his two living rooms, kitchen and dining room.

Outside was a six feet deep pool, a Lexus garage and a small garden.

I already knew that my room (it's so weird saying that) and his room were on the second floor. On the same floor was his very own home theater with an enormous screen, sound proof walls and seats similar to a real movie house. Although his looked more comfortable because you could actually lie down and rest your feet.

Okay. One will never get bored staying in his house. Got it.

There was so much to do. I wanted to raid his study. There were just so many to read. I'd probably survive a year or more without getting out of his house. Then there was his stack of DVDs, music vinyls and albums. I must say Michael had an eccentric taste. I swear to the old gods and the new, I saw Mean Girls and a Beyoncé album in there.

Three more guestrooms were on the third floor. I didn't ask what was behind the fourth door. He didn't say anything about it so I didn't want to be intrusive.

The top floor was an impressive roof deck with an amazing view of the bay. I can imagine watching the sunset in here. Yeah, because that's going to happen. Dream on, Madi.

Michael suggested that we do our own thing together in the living room. Basically, that meant I finish my readings while he review contracts and proposals. I brought out some books and notes from my backpack while he had his laptop and like a dozen of folders on the table.

Strangely, I was amused seeing what he does when he's not with me. Working like a true billionaire. I wondered if that's what he does every day. Go to meetings, answer numerous phone calls, sign contracts and review proposals.

"Whoa. Can I see that?"

"Shit." I cursed as I forgot he doesn't know about the iPhone. I shouldn't have taken it out.

This morning, I was happy that it was still working even with screen looking worse than a broken glass. And now he saw it.

"I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. It was that reckless driver's fault." he growled. "I'll have David pick you up a new one. Wait. You listen to music while reading?"

"Yeah. Music clears my head. Weird I know."

Listening to music while studying helped me comprehend information better. As weird as it may sound, I see the words on my books and notes as lyrics on a music sheet.

"Weird is beautiful, Madi and so are you."

I bit the insides of my cheeks to stop myself from smiling. Why does he have to say that?

Surprisingly, Michael was okay with me using his phone for music. He offered it and even gave his password to me. I truly commend his awesome choice of music.

It was strange because he seemed to be the type of person who valued his privacy so much. I mean, why would he choose to live alone?

In this country, even if children were already grown-ups and working, they still live with their parents. At least most of the Filipinos. Yeah, I get being independent and all. But if I had parents, I'm sure I'll still live with them even if I already have job. Unlucky me, I don't.

So the only reason for him to be living alone was privacy. I think.

Minutes later, I was humming while reading. It was when I noticed he was watching me. I tried to remain oblivious by the fact that his lovely browns were fixed at me but failed. It made me uneasy, in a good way.

I plugged out the earphones and squinted my eyes at him. "Yes?"

He looked like he was really in deep thought while staring at me. "You really don't remember, do you?"

"Remember what?"

"Nothing. Carry on."

It was hard to concentrate with what I was doing when I catch Michael's eyes on me then he'd look away when I'd lift my head. Oddly enough, I started doing the same thing.

We kept on glancing at each other and exchanging small smiles. So needless to say, we were both distracted. I didn't do much of studying as much he wasn't able to accomplish his work.

"Maybe doing our own thing together was a bad idea." I pointed out.

"I hate to agree but you're right."

"I'll be at your guestroom." I suggested picking up my stuff. "Call me when it's time to make lunch."

"I will."

There was something odd about him today. Where did Mr. Bossy go? I'm sure not that far away but he was still acting differently. I thought he looked tensed there for a second. It was quite refreshing seeing Michael distracted but bothering to see myself distracted by him. I wondered what he was talking about earlier.

What was I supposed to remember?

First of all thank you for the 4000+ reads. It feels amazing. Second, thanks for the patience and sorry it this was kind of a filler chapter. You know what happens after a filler chappie, right? (wink wink). Lastly, VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE and FAN. I really appreciate it.

PS: Have you guys seen Pitch Perfect 2? If not, you should. It's aca-awesome. Then there's gonna be a third one so I'm so excited. I can't help but think of our MADI while watching the movie though. Hehe :D

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

2K 512 24
When a bet goes wrong during a party, Sonny Davis's life is turned upside down. Two years later he finds himself in a town called Coverton tutoring...
1.3M 34.3K 36
Skylar Pearl Gray is a single mom, she and her almost one year old son Nico live in New York. Two years after heartbreak she is independent and confi...
14.8K 250 10
Its about this girl who is a mid-high celebrity who knows a lot of celebs, who has a giant crush on a renown model(Cara Delevingne)
353K 17K 55
Troy Anderson had an ideal life everyone dreamed of. He had everything he wanted. Being the heir and the future CEO of their family company put a lot...