Beyond All Rules ✔️

By LyssahTraicey

Kennedy's parents transfer her from a prestigious private high school and to a school in The Bronx as punishm... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Epilogue

Chapter Seven

339 27 7
By LyssahTraicey

KENNEDY

I feel like a prick as I watch Isaiah walk away from me with a hurt look on his face. I've succeeded in avoiding him all week but at the cost of hurting his feelings. I didn't know he was this invested in being my friend, I just thought that he was being nice to me on day one because that's who he is as a person. But as I watch him disappear into the boys locker room, I can't help but berate myself for being so horrible to him.

The boys have been so kind to me, taking me in and letting me sit at their table during lunch. Wesley is the reason for all of it but even if I don't want anything to do with Isaiah, I could have at least tried to be civil around him. I should have found a better way to let him down easy without hurting his feelings. Now he probably hates me and for some reason that doesn't sit right with me.

A sad sigh escapes my lips but I table those feelings for later. I knock on the coaches office and enter, finding Wesley lying down on the small sofa in the office with Baron on a chair next to him. He is so tall, only his upper body is on the seat with the rest of him dangling over the edge.

I am closest to Wesley because I am tutoring him but I realize that we've slowly become friends. When I saw him get hurt today, I was so worried about him but I'm glad to see that he's doing okay.

"Come to give me the kiss of life princess?" Wesley teases.

"You wish you dork. I'm here to make sure that you didn't get a concussion or anything. I am invested in that brain of yours." I reply with a cheeky smile.

"You wound me princess and here I thought, you liked me for my body." Wesley moans in protest clutching his heart as if he's in pain.

I burst out laughing at his theatrics. Wesley is the jokester of the three best friends, Baron is the smart one and Isaiah, well I am yet to figure him out. I've not made any effort to get to know him but I do know that he acts as mediator between Baron and Wesley. The two are always fighting but I know that it comes from a place of love.

"I am going home. Will you boys be okay?" I ask them.

"Yeah, we're waiting for Isaiah so I can take Wes home." Baron answers.

"Okay, you guys take care. I will see you on Monday. Oh and Wes..."

"Yes princess."

"Don't go breaking any more bones."

"Your wish is my command Your Highness." He nods with a grin.

I give them one last wave and exit the office. My plan is to go home and sleep till Monday but then my phone rings just as I'm getting the books I'll need from my locker.

"Astrid."

"Kenny." She cheers excitedly. "Where are you?"

"Just about to leave school." I reply.

"Good, wait for me. I'm on my way to pick you up."

"What?"

"I'm five minutes away. I'll meet you at the school gate." She answers and hangs up.

I stare at my phone in shock wondering what's up with her. She sounds chirpy so she's not coming to pick me up because something bad happened. Which leaves the question as to why she's driven all the way from Manhattan to The Bronx just to pick me up from school? She could have just asked me to meet her in Manhattan.

I grab my books and leave the school building grateful that nobody is around to see me being picked up by my sister. If she's driving her car then she's using her G-wagon which is very posh. I cannot be seen getting into such an expensive car, it will raise too many questions that I am not ready to answer.

She arrives in two minutes and I barely give her time to park before I'm sliding into the front passenger seat and closing the door.

"Let's go." I demand putting on my seatbelt.

"You're welcome you ungrateful twat." She retorts driving away from Pine View nonetheless.

"I didn't ask you to pick me up." I remind her.

"A thank you for saving you a subway ride back into the city would be nice."

I roll my eyes refusing to let her bully me when I didn't ask her to pick me up in the first place.

"What are you even doing here?" I ask her.

"If you must know. I was running an errand for my boss." She answers.

"In The Bronx?"

"Yes, it is part of New York state and he is the governor."

"And you thought it would be a good idea to come here in this car?" I ask her.

"What's wrong with my baby?" She pouts.

"Next time drive something a little less uppity." I advice.

"Okay enough, you're pricklier than usual. Are you okay?" She asks me.

"No I am not okay." I huff and lean back into my seat.

"Want to talk about it over an early dinner?" She asks me.

I turn to Astrid and smile nodding at her. She knows me so well and hopefully she will be able to give me some insight to the cluster fucker that was my first week at Pine View. At least I survived it without breaking any rules or going crazy.

"Italian, Chinese, French, Korean, Mexican ..." She asks.

"Chinese please. I need dumplings to comfort me." I request her.

"Chinese it is." She agrees giving me a comforting smile.

As we leave The Bronx, I am able to relax a bit knowing that I have a two day break from that awaiting disaster. I have no idea how I will be able to face Isaiah on Monday. I was good with avoiding him but seeing how my actions hurt him is making me rethink my decision. Fuck. This is all just so confusing. I miss when my life was simpler and all I had to think about was keeping my grades up at Oakland. Pine View is a whole other dynamic that I'm struggling to learn and adapt to. I feel like I am in a river with rapids and I'm drowning barely able to keep my head up. Will I be able to swim to the surface of will I eventually drown?

When we get to Manhattan Astrid drives us to our favorite Chinese restaurant and the smell of good food, spices and the ambience of the place puts me in a better mood.

After we make our order and get our drinks, Astrid turns to me with her big sister face on.

"Okay spill! Are you getting bullied in school?" She demands.

Of course she would assume that.

"No, not really. I mean some people keep making rude comments about my hair and I stick out like a sore thumb because I'm like one of the ten white students that go there but I'm not being bullied." I answer.

"Do you regret dying it back?"

"Definitely not. I don't care about their comments. I've learnt to block them out and I've actually managed to make friends. The guidance counselor made me join the senior tutors program and I'm tutoring one of the players on the basketball team. He kinda took me in and now I sit with them during lunch so I'm not alone." I explain.

"That's good to hear, so what's the problem?" Astrid inquires.

I play with my straw trying to figure out where to start.

"There's this boy..." I begin with a heavy sigh.

Astrid grins. "I knew it was about a boy. Who is he? What's his name? Is he cute? Is he tall? Is he on the team? Is...." I cut her off before she can continue.

"Calm down. I'll tell you all you need to know."

"Okay sorry." Astrid apologizes smiling sheepishly.

"His name is Isaiah, he's the co-captain of the basketball team and yes he's very cute and really tall." I answer all her questions.

"And you like him?"

"No!" I shout making a few people turn to me so I repeat it in a much lower tone."No."

"You answered that too fast." Astrid chuckles.

I don't like Isaiah. Or do I? I've been so focused on avoiding him I haven't considered the possibility of liking him. Sure he's attractive physically and he always smells so good but there's more to liking someone than that right?

"It's not about liking him, it's about what he knows." I tell Astrid.

"I don't follow."

"Nobody at Pine View knows who I really am but he does. He doesn't remember that he does but I can't risk getting close to him incase he remembers." I express.

"I need you to elaborate more, you've lost me." Astrid requests.

"When I was at Oakland I fit in perfectly because most of us were all rich and white. Even the African-American students were all from rich families. But at Pine View I stand out just for being white with red hair. It makes me a target for bullying. I can't afford to let them know that I am rich as well. Isaiah and I met at Oakland when I was a sophomore. He doesn't remember because I was in uniform and my hair and eyes were different. I'm scared that if we spend time together and he gets to know where I live and where I transferred from, he'll join the dots and the whole school will know that daddy dearest owns part of America and mommy has tea with the first lady and the queen." I explain.

"Wow, that is a lot."

"Tell me about it. What do I do Astrid? I've been avoiding him all week and today he confronted me about it. I wasn't nice to him and he was so hurt. You should have seen the look on his face. It'll haunt me for the rest of the year." I cry out burying my face in my hands.

Astrid switches seats joining me on my side of the booth and wraps her arm around my shoulders pulling me to her side for a comfort hug.

"Has Isaiah.. His name is Isaiah right?"

"Yes."

"Has Isaiah given you any indication that he's someone who would spread rumors about you?" Astrid asks.

"I don't know him well enough."

"You know enough if he's causing you to be so conflicted."

I think about her question and the answer is simple. "No. Isaiah isn't that kind of person."

"Then you have your answer. What's so wrong about making more friends?"

"Because then I might get to like him and if he likes me back we'll start dating and he'll end up knowing that I'm rich. What if he thinks I'm too posh for him? You should see him Astrid? He has basketball after school, an after school job and he still makes the honor roll." I express in awe of him.

I am not the only one who thinks this way because his friends speak very highly of him.

"If things move forward between you then he'll love you for you despite who your parents are. Say his dad works as a mailman and his mom is a waitress. Will you see him as less than?"

"Definitely not."

"Then hold yourself up to the same standards and give him the benefit of doubt. Nothing stays hidden forever so people will eventually find out who you really are. You need to be more open to new things in your life. Staying closed off to maintain this mystery persona won't do you any good. It's okay to be vulnerable, it's how we make human connections." Astrid declares.

I take a few moments to think over her words and she is right. As soon as my parents decreed Pine View upon me I immediately went into defense mode and assumed the worst. If I wasn't tutoring Wesley I'd probably be eating in the library alone or in the art classroom. I wouldn't have a relationship with anyone at school and I quite like having people to sit with at lunch and friendly faces smiling at me in the hallways.

I didn't give Isaiah a chance and just assumed the worst about him without getting to know him. It wasn't fair to him or me.

"You're right, thank you Astrid." I express leaning into the hug.

She kisses my temple and holds me tighter. "What are big sisters for?"

Astrid is forced to go back to her side of the table when our food arrives. The dumplings are delicious and they immediately heal part of me that's been broken this week. Good food is medicine for my soul. Astrid and I talk more over dinner and she listens as I rant about my week. I tell her everything from art class, hanging out with the team during lunch and getting to tutor Wesley. She tries to fish for more details about Isaiah but there's not much to tell since we haven't interacted much.

"I don't want to go home yet." I lament as Astrid pays the bill once we are done eating.

"I'd invite you over to my place for the weekend but I'm flying to DC in a few hours and won't be back for a week." Astrid sympathizes.

I am so happy to hear my sister living her best life. She is still spoilt, as am I but she's working hard to build a name for herself and I am really proud of her. She's my biggest inspiration and the reason why I want to get a job.

"That's okay, I have a French assignment to work on anyway." I reply.

"How about we get some ice cream before I drive you home? I know a really nice place around the corner." She suggests.

I can never say no to ice cream. "Okay."

The ice cream parlor Astrid takes me to is a nifty little shop with the cutest aesthetic. It has a couple of booths and tables for people to sit and enjoy their ice cream and lots of art on the walls. I love the theme colours ; blue, pink and white. It also smells like sweets which is not one I am opposed to. Besides ice-cream they serve milkshakes, drinks, cakes, Sundaes and waffles. I feel like I've found my new wonderland and I know for a fact that I'll be back here.

They are a bit packed so we have to wait in line but I don't mind. It gives Astrid and I more time to talk.

"Welcome to Frosty Dream. What can I get you ladies tonight?" The polite looking older man behind the counter asks us.

He's a tall black man with a kind smile and a bald head wearing an apron that says "Smile, there's nothing ice cream can't solve". I totally agree with that quote.

"Two scoops of cookies and cream for her and one vanilla for me." Astrid orders.

"Coming right up." He replies.

"Your ice cream taste is so basic." I tease her.

"There is nothing wrong with vanilla."

"Yes there is, how basic it is." I retort. "You need more flavor in your life."

"Shut up." She scolds rolling her eyes at me.

We get our ice cream and Astrid pays. As we're walking out of the shop something catches my eyes on their notice board.

"They are hiring." I announce excitedly looking at Astrid.

"Yeah, so?"

"I've been thinking about getting a job. This is perfect." I decree.

"Kenny we talked about this." Astrid groans.

"Yes yes that I am too spoiled to work but I want to work. I am willing to learn. And besides, what's so hard about scooping ice cream?" I grin at her and make my way back to the counter.

"You're back. Is everything okay with your order?" The gentleman who served us, asks me.

"Yes it is. I was wondering who I need to talk to about the job being advertised here." I ask him.

"You want to work here?" He asks giving me a once over.

He's not trying to be judgemental, probably just wondering why a girl like me would be interested in working at an ice cream parlor.

"Yes. Can I apply for the job? I'm in highschool but I can work every day after school and all day on the weekends." I offer.

"We are desperate for new servers but I'm not sure you're a good fit. Have you ever worked in a server position before?"

"No but I am fast learner and I am available to start as soon as tomorrow." I reply quickly.

He looks unsure because of my age and lack of experience until I hear Astrid speak up behind me. "I know you don't know me or her but I can vouch for her. She really is willing to learn and you won't regret taking a chance on her."

I smile at Astrid grateful for her support.

"Okay how about this, come tomorrow at ten and you can start your trial period. Someone will train you on the basics and if you're a good fit, well talk more about it." He agrees.

"Thank you so much. I'm Kennedy by the way. This is my sister Astrid." I reply beaming with happiness.

"It's nice to meet you ladies. I'm Archer, the owner." He introduces.

"Thank you so much Archer, I'll come by tomorrow. You won't regret it." I assure him.

"I hope not. If I'm not around ask for Khalil, he'll begin your training." Archer instructs.

"Khalil, got it. See you tomorrow."

"Have a good night."

"You too."

We leave and I can't stop the excited scream that bubbles out as soon as we leave.

"You happy?" Astrid asks smiling at me.

"Very. I have a job."

"What you have us a trial period so don't make me a liar for vouching for you. You need to do your best." Astrid insists.

"I will."

We finish our ice cream as we walk back to the car and Astrid drives me home. She doesn't have time to come in so she drops me off by the gate.

"Good luck tomorrow. Keep me updated and I'll seen you when I come back from DC." She says hugging me goodbye.

"I will I promise. Have a good time. Love you."

"Love you too."

I exit her car and watch her drive away before I walk up the drive to the house. Glynn is at the door to welcome me home and his announcement puts a damper on my mood.

"Your parents are home. They are waiting for you in the formal dining room."

Mr and Mrs Foster are back home. Great. They've been gone all week so why are they back? Probably to check up on me to make sure I didn't burn down the school.

"Thanks Glynn." I sigh bracing myself to face them.

They are discussing something when I walk in but they fall silent when I clear my throat to announce my arrival. "Mother, father."

"Kennedy. It's past seven, doesn't school let out at three?" Mother asks foregoing all greetings.

"It does but I have a tutoring session after school for an hour then Astrid picked me up and we went to dinner. She just dropped me off." I explain.

I don't tell them about the job because I don't want them to know about it just yet or ever for that matter. I will keep it from them for as long as possible.

"You don't have to use your sister as an excuse to lie." Mother scoffs.

Her lack of faith in me is nothing new. Of course she thinks I'm lying.

"Okay then I was getting high with a few students from school. Is that much more of an acceptable answer?"

"Do not talk to your mother like that young lady!" Father yells.

"You can't pick and choose on what I tell you depending on what you what to hear. I am going to my room. Enjoy your dinner." I answer and before they can say anything I exit the dining room.

It's a pity that I've barely been with them five minutes and we're already fighting. I find that that fact bothers me less than it did a few months ago. Maybe it's because I've actually decided to turn my life around now and for the better.

When I get to my room I shower and change into some comfortable clothes. I'm still hyper from the ice cream so I decide to draw. I retrieve my drawing book from my bag and as I flip through it I realize that all drawings I've made this week are all images upon images of Isaiah or something related to him.

I might not have been talking to him all week but it doesn't mean he wasn't on my mind. I flip to a new page and think of something else to draw, like the ice cream my sister and I had. Isaiah can wait until Monday.

This weekend is going to be great because I'll get to start my new job and embark on a new journey. I've never worked before but I am willing to learn and I know that it'll be a great experience.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

999 109 38
"He was charming, sexy, and toxic in every way, but my God was he one of the best damn things I ever called mine," C. HO Another year, same drama... ...
85.4K 1.9K 28
Kylie Jacobs is the head cheerleader at her high school, Ridgewood High. She is popular and is considered the hottest girl in school. Except, she isn...
19.6K 813 36
Mike is supposed to be the next captain of his school's basketball club, but the 17 year old play boy is distraught because he has to move after his...
15.8K 414 49
Harvey and Maddie have been sworn enemies since as long as they can remember. Now as they hit their senior year Maddie's best friend Olivia begins go...