OMARI: When He Wakes

By AlaskanRookie

After taking the last step off the Hospital Roof, Sunny wakes up in what seems to be a different reality. One... More

(1) The Truth, Guilt, and The Jump
(2) Fading, MARI, and HELLSUNNY
(3) The ENDLESS FIELD, Orchids, and A Promise
(4) A Picnic, A Camera, and Numbness
(5) Together Again
(6) Morning, Recovery, and Orange Joe
(7) Pancakes, Coffee, and Tea
(8) Suprise Visit, Catching Up, and Outside
(9) School, OTHER LIBRARY, and Faint Memories
(10) Into Your Dreams...
(11) The Chase, a Dream, and a Snap
(Updates and QnA)
(12) Afterschool, Chatting, and The Reaper
(13) Bargaining, Circumstance, and Returning
(14) Revival, KEL, and a Text
(16) Rushing, Reunion, and Retelling
(17) Pain, Panic, and Moving Forward
(18) Coming To, Caretaker, and First Steps
(19) Hugs, Baby Carrots, and Medicine
(20) Homeward Bound
(21) Prepping, Home, and MEWO
(22) A Call, Fried Tofu, and Sandwhiches
(10K Views and QnA)
(23) Stairs, Bed, and Fractured
(24) A Orchid, Dreamers, and BASIL(?)
(25) Recital Day...
(26) Breakfast, Planning, and MOM
(27) Mother, Son, and...
(28) Father, SISTER, and a Surprise

(15) Left on Read

456 28 12
By AlaskanRookie

.

.

.

BASIL was rummaging through his bag, taking out his school books and making room as he looked up to his drawer... his CAMERA was sitting right next to the White Egret Orchid. He knew that he wanted to bring it, but seeing it right now... he was having second thoughts.

(Maybe... Maybe I just told myself to get it to... prolong the visit... What would I even show it I DID bring it...)

He looked down to it, seeing the dust still plaguing it as he sighed, wiping it off gently with his hand. His finger traced the edge of the lense as he seemed deep in thought... his concentration broken only by what he thought was the crackling sound.

Quickly he looked up, but was hit with relief as he saw MS. POLLY knocking at his open door, walking in looking a bit nervous.

MS. POLLY: "Sorry! Sorry, I-I uh- I heard you come in, so I just... I wanted to check on you is all." She held her hands close to her chest.

BASIL: "O-Oh! Uh, no worries. Sorry I didn't say anything, ma'am. I was just, uh... trying to get something..."

MS. POLLY looked at what he was holding and saw it was his old CAMERA. It made her smile as she went over and sat next to him on his bed. "Huh... seems like its been ages since I've seen you hold that."

BASIL looked up to her but then looked away, feeling ashamed at how true that statement was. "Y-Yeah... It really has been too long..."

MS. POLLY looked deep in thought as she was remembering when he grabbed his CAMERA every day giggled as she gently held the side, running her thumb across the top gently. "I used to have to be SO much extra film for you. You'd say every day was... hmmm... what did you say it was? Photo, uhm..."

BASIL slowly looked to her as he lifted his head, knowing exactly what she meant. "I-I think it was, 'Every day was full of Photo Opportunities'. I think I meant that every day had so much to capture in a frame. Heh, uh... S-Sorry for all the Film you had to buy ma'am." His cheeks went pink ad he scratched his arm a bit.

MS. POLLY laughed and patted his shoulder. "Oh, don't you worry about that! It's in the past, and besides-" She rested her head on top of his, rubbing his shoulder gently as she closed her eyes. "- seeing you so happy each time made it all the more worth it~"

BASIL leaned into her with a smile as he embraced her. "Thank you, ma'am." He said with a smile. Remembering those days... How many photos he'd take and all the help he'd need in making photo albums. Everyone pitched into pick photos they loved and would always want to remember... even MARI. Remembering her only reminded him of the visit... and how unprepared he was to see SUNNY like that again... and her.

He sighed as he sat back up, holding MS. POLLYS hand as he looked away. She was taken aback by this, but didn't hesitate to hold his hand and look to him with concern. "BASIL? What's wrong honey?"

BASIL sighed as he tried to get his thoughts to words, stammering before he closed his eyes. "Ma'am, I.... I'm supposed to visit SUNNY today. But... I'm scared. Not just to see him like... that again but... seeing her again."

MS. POLLY was his caretaker for quite some time, knowing everything that happened before and after the incident... and his feelings towards MARI. She tightened her grip on his hands and exhaled lightly through her nose.

BASIL: "I-I don't want to fight with her, I just want to see my best friend again... b-but I still feel so... so..." He groaned dropped his head back, eyes closed as he tried to gather his thoughts.

MS. POLLY: "... Conflicted?"

BASIL, without looking at her or opening his eyes, nodded his head as she scootched closer to him.

MS. POLLY: "Honey... I know you two have some issues. I wasn't there when... things were said, and I wish- I REALLY wish I was there to help calm you down when it did-"

BASIL sniffled as he turned his head down, brows furrowed as he remembered that day all too clearly.

MS. POLLY: "- But... you have to face this eventually. You two can't just ve strangers forever. I've seen the way you two were in the past- In your photos! You were friends, true friends. You don't make those every day."

BASIL wipes his nose and looked away from her. "Yeah... we're. We aren't anymore... I don't know if we can be anymore."

MS. POLLY sighed lightly and looked to the CAMERA. "She's only human, you know. She didn't mean to do any of that on purpose. People make mistakes, and you've got to forgive her eventually. If not for her... for you." She placed her hand on his again, making him look and listen to her. "I know it won't be instant, or fixed immediately. But... please, just try to forgive her, even a little bit. Day by day... please."

BASIL didn't immediately refuse it, deep in thought as he tried to deny it or say he wouldn't, but... seeing the look of concern on her face made it hard for him to say No. He closed his eyes and leaned into her, feeling her wrap her arms around him and embrace him as he did the same. "I'll... I'll try, ma'am. I can't make any promises, but... for me, AND for you, I'll... do my best."

MS. POLLY smiled as she hugged him harder, sighing lightly in relief as BASIL was beginning to smile as well. But as soon as they both pulled away from the hug, BASIL'S phone began buzzing... and buzzing, and buzzing. MS. POLLY looked surprised as she looked towards his pocket.

MS. POLLY: "Oh my! Who's trying to call you?"

BASIL struggled a bit but pulled out his phone, flipping it up as he explained. "Those are, uh, actually Text Messages. Someone's spamming the group chat..." Both of them looked one another in the eyes and spoke at the same time.

"KEL."

BASIL clicked around on his phone, seeing KEL text loads of messages as he tried to scroll down and see what he was trying to say.

MS. POLLY: "What's he saying? Seems quite excited. Think there's another Orange Joe sale?"

BASIL: "I-I don't know, he keeps sending random letters... Wait, AUBREY AND HERO are talking too." Both of them sat there for a moment, BASIL reading the texts as his mouth was mimicking what he read. MS. POLLY heard him murmur something before he spoke properly. "O-Okay, something legible. Alright... he was apparently trying to tell us

As BASIL read his full text, his eyes widened, hands freezing as he dropped his phone, staring in place as he did. MS. POLLY immediately looked over him as she was worried, quickly turning her attention to the phone. "BASIL? What's wrong? What did the text-"

She picked up the phone and read it, gasping and covering her mouth as she looked utterly shocked. She looked to BASIL as he turned to her, both of them smiling as MS. POLLY clasped both of his hands and shook them excitedly. "O-Oh my goodness! Oh my good- GASP Oh my goodness! W-We need to go! We have to get there immediately! Hurry hurry! Get everything you need!"

She picked up his backpack and grabbed everything around him, BASIL struggling to put on his coat as MS. POLLY put his CAMERA inside his backpack, helping him put on his coat as she struggled to pull his arms through trying to rush. "Oh heck with it, let's just get to the car now!"

Both of them almost tripped rushing to the door, MS. POLLY making sure he got out first before slamming the door shut.... quickly opening it and grabbing her car keys out of the bowl and then promptly locking the house doors. They ran to the car, MS. POLLY struggling to put the key in the ignition before taking a deep breath and twisting it inside.

The car started and they were on their way, both their smiles prevalent as she tapped her hands on the wheel in excitement. BASIL couldn't even speak, tears forming in his eyes as he laughed in disbelief. He looked ahead of the road through watery eyes as he finally spoke, his voice shaken but filled with unbridled joy.

"SUNNY... hah... hahaha! S-SUNNY!!!"

.

.

.

OTHERMART was just about as busy as any other day, HERO looking over it as he saw about 7 people wandering the isle of the grocery store, stopping his sweeping as he turned around. "Heh, wow. Must be Rush Hour, right guys?" He smiled and turned to the two twins beside him in the BAKERY.

DAPHNE: "And it must be around 3 o'clock. You always make that same joke around 3 o'clock, doesn't he Brother?" She said while kneading dough.

BOWEN: "Always..." He replied whole loading bread out of the oven and held it to his sister. Both took in the aroma of the freshly baked bread.

"Fresh bread....."

HERO smirked and rubbed the back of his neck. "Heh, wow, have I really become THAT predictable?"

DAPHNE looked up as BOWEN placed the fresh bread on the shelf. "We mean no harm in saying that. We simply pick up on these patterns due to how long you've been employed to us. About Two and a Half years if I am not mistaken, right brother?"

BOWEN: "Fresh bread..." He was smelling the newly baked batch on the shelf

DAPHNE: "..."

Both siblings were now smelling the fresh bread, taking in the luxurious scent of their harmony of dough and heat.

HERO chuckled as he shook his head with a smile. "Hehe, guess it really has been that long. But you guys definitely haven't changed since I first got here."

HERO was wearing a opened white button-up, light blue v-neck underneath, black pants, and a plain white apron above it all. Proper work attire for a Baker, at least that's what he says.

Both Twins looked back to HERO.

DAPHNE: "One cannot deny the complex beauty of Fresh Bread, HENRY. We are quite thankful our appreciation for it has not diminished over the years, aren't we brother?"

BOWEN: "Very..."

HERO rolled his eyes as he put away the broom. "Aren't we all. Otherwise we wouldn't have such delicious Baked Goods from you guys." The floor looked clean enough to eat off of... only fresh bread of course. He tightened the waist strap of his 'Thank the Cook' Apron and nodded. "Anywho, I'm done cleaning up for opening, and it's just about 3:15. Ready to open?"

DAPHNE looked to HERO as she stepped away from the Bread Shelf, BOWEN immediately following after her when he noticed she left.

DAPHNE: "Actually HENRY, MOTHER wanted us to give you an errand to run... by yourself... without us... Actually, that is a lie, she sent US to go do it, but..."

She handed the Note and Money to HERO and, as soon as he read it, he raised his eyebrows. "Ahh... the CANDY SHOP." He cleared his throat and read aloud MOTHER'S letter-

"Son and Daughter, please order 8 pounds of Sugar from the CANDY SHOP for our new Baked Goods. Do not let HENRY do it for you again, you two need to face your fears. Love MOTHER and FATHER."

He put down the paper and saw both Twins hugging one another, trembling as they looked towards the pink glow coming from the CANDY SHOP.

HERO: "Eesh, that one visit with MS. CANDICE really shook you guys that much, huh?"

DAPHNE: "To the core... Not even MOTHER or FATHER have raised their voices to us, and yet... she screamed at BOWEN for just dropping a single Gumball. She came out of nowhere too... like a phantom."

BOWEN was trembling the worst, but their faces remained dull as they took a step away from the SHOP'S direction.

HERO laughed and folded the letter and put the Money into the front pocket of his apron. "Well, it can't be helped then. Guess I'll have to suck it up and be brave for you both. Let's just not tell MS. BAKER, okay?"

The Twins both nodded quickly, both holding HERO'S hand and looking up to him, their eyes sparkling in dullness with relief and joy beaming off their faces.

DAPHNE: "Bless you, HENRY. You are our savior dawned in a glorious apron."

BOWEN: "Bless..."

HERO: "Hehe, c'mon you two! It's not THAT bad visiting the SHOP..." He leaned in to whisper to them both. "But, uhh... Think I'll run into MS. CANDICE?"

Both, while still clinging to his hands, nodded as quickly as they did the first time, making HERO sigh as he took a deep breath. "Can't be helped. Alright! I'll be back, holding down the BAKERY while I'm out."

Both gave a confident nod as they rushed back behind the counter, kneading dough and checking on the baking bread as HERO looked to the Money and nodded once he counted it. "Perfect. Now then..."

He looked to the Candy Coated Kingdom of Sweets that was the CANDY SHOP and exhaled lightly through his nose. "Well... least I'll be able to see AUBREY."

He rushed into the entrance and covered his eyes, letting them adjust as be was met with the bright, shiny world of Candy inside. Even though it's been his hundredth time in here, it still was hard to walk in without wincing at the light.

He looked around and heard the cheery pop music that was playing in the speakers. He always knew it fit the vibe of the SHOP, but it was hard to stay in it for long with how loud MS. CANDICE put the volume.

As he walked inside, COURTNEY, the cute girl who was the first face you see coming into the shop. Her face immediately lit up seeing HERO come towards her.

COURTNEY: "H-Hello, HERO! Welcome to the CANDY SHOP, we hope our Candy makes you smile! How can we help you, Smiley Smiley!"

HERO: "Hey COURTNEY! And you don't have to repeat that EVERY time I come here, y'know."

COURTNEY: "Ehehehe.. heh, well, uh... legally I do, MS. CANDICE'S rules, hehe. B-But it's good to see you! Oh! I'm guessing the BAKERS need some supplies?"

HERO nodded. "Sugar, for the BAKERS please. They're actually adding Baked Goods and Sweets to the Menu!"

COURTNEY nodded quickly and smiled wide. "That's great to hear! Though, uhm... I-I don't know how MS. CANDICE will feel about having Sweet Competition, hehe." She looked around and leaned towards him. "A-And the Twins are lucky, MS. CANDICE is in the back with AUBREY counting stock... well, watching AUBREY count stock."

HERO rolled his eyes with a smile. "She would. How is AUBREY doing, by the way? Been a while since I've last visited."

COURTNEY grunted as she picked up two 2 pound backs of Sugar before answering. "G-Good! MS. CANDICE is making her work as hard as usual, b-but she's getting paid for it all! Quite a good bit too. And she deserves it, hehe~."

HERO chuckled as he handed her the money, seeing her place the third bag of sugar down. "Great to hear... well, sort of."

COURTNEY gave a nervous chuckle as she counted the Money. "Yeah... I owe her a lot too. She's doing all the heavy lifting MS. CANDICE would force me to do before she worked here. I feel a little bad, b-but she's earning her keep, s-so I'm glad about that! Oh, uh..." She shuffled the money back into her hand and recounted it.

HERO: "It's uh, 24 dollars, I counted." He said grabbing the bags.

COURTNEY: "I-I'm sorry, I have to make sure every time. Otherwise MS. CANDICE-"

"My ears are buuuuuurniiiiiing~"

COURTNEY and HERO flinched as they heard her voice, putting the money down with a light sigh. Coming from the back room emerged a woman... an obnoxious looking person. HERO looked up and saw her... MS. CANDICE.

Light pink hait tied up in ponytails, red ribbons on each. A button up with round, poofy arm sleeves, under a pink apron with white heart buttons keeping it up. Her red skirt going to her knees twirled as she spun out of the back, AUBREY following behind her looking tired and rubbing her shoulders.

MS. CANDICE: "COURTNEY deeeear~ I hear a lot of chit-chat but I don't hear a lot of Smiely Smiley, so you better zip your lip or else- GAAAAASP"

She looked at the counter, and like a radiant sunrise, she saw him... her HERO.

MS. CANDICE: "Oooooh, fate has blessed me so~! Can it be?" She twirled to the counter, grunting as she bumped into it before brushing herself off and posing for him. "But it is~! My Prince, My Beloved! My HERO~♡"

HERO sighed as he placed the sugar bags down. "Hello, MS. CANDICE."

MS. CANDICE: "Oh nonononono! I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, darling! Please, just call me CANDY~ You're the ONLY one allowed to do so, might as well flaunt that privilege~" She leaned onto the counter and winked to him, HERO chuckling nervously as he rubbed the back of his neck.

HERO: "R-Right, sorry, uh... Just here for some Sugar ma'am."

MS. CANDICE: "Oh! Well, Mama can give you some sugar if you beg properly, hotstuff~" She perked her lips and pulled out some lip balm and a mini-mirror from her apron pocket.

HERO held his arms up and stammered a bit as he tried to stop her. "G-Gah- ah- I-I meant Sugar! Baking Sugar, f-for the BAKERS! U-uuuuuh- Oh! AUBREY, hey! C-Can you help me carry these bags of Sugar for the BAKERS please? L-Like right now??"

He picked up 2 bags and rushed out of the SHOP. AUBREY saw this opportunity and slid over the counter, grabbing the other two bags after she landed and looking behind her while running off.

AUBREY: "Sorry MISS, just helping a customer! Won't be too long!"

She ran off before MS. CANDICE could look up from her mirror and as she did, she clasped it shut and looked to where they were. "Now! Pucker up, loverbo- H-Hey! Where did My HERO go?!"

COURTNEY looked away and shrugged, holding up her arms, MS. CANDICE stomping her foot. "Hmmpf! That man... He knows how much I love it when he plays hard to get~" She rested her head on her hands and leaned against the counter, sighing like a schoolgirl in love as she looked out the entrance... while still sounding lovesick and staring, she spoke with such ruthlessness. "COURTNEY dear, be a doll and count the stock in the back pleeeease, I'm busy~'

COURTNEY: "I-I uh- But you- uhm.... siiiigh Yes ma'am..."

-

-

-

HERO and AUBREY panted lightly while laughing a bit, placing the Sugar on the BAKERY countertop as HERO wiped his forehead.

HERO: "Phew Thanks... I figured you needed a break, a-and I DEFINITELY needed a reason to escape MS. CANDICE... again."

AUBREY laughed and wiped her bangs to the side. "No problem! And yeah... I don't know how she manages to make checking stock a chore. You don't know how annoying it is to organize everything back there... alphabetically... by color."

Both of them laughed as they rested against the counter, finally relaxing after all of... that.

...

After a few seconds of just sitting down and relaxing, HERO looked to AUBREY and cleared his throat.

HERO: "Hey, AUBREY? Uh... I know it's weird to ask NOW of all times... but uhm... why are you enduring CANDICE'S work? I mean, it's clear to pretty much all of us that she's, uh... not the best boss. So why put yourself through all the 'smiley smiley' and impossible orders from her?" He scootched closer to her, looking genuinely curious to why she would go through all of that.

AUBREY looked to him, but then looked to the ground, putting her hands together on her lap. "Oh, uh... well, hehe, it's actually pretty simple. Just a bit... I dunno, embarassing? Heh..."

HERO put his hand on her and held it tightly. "Hey, it's fine if you don't want to tell me. I won't force you... but if you ever wanna talk about it or anything, I'm all ears, okay? It's not good to try and go through hardships alone. You shouldn't be afraid to tell your friends what's bothering you, okay?"

AUBREY closed her hand in HERO'S, sighing a bit as she nodded weakly. "Well... I-I-"

Both of them jumped a bit, hearing a buzz on both their phones... then another, and another. Both pulled their phones out and saw all of the text messages they got.

"KEL."

Both said at once, HERO raising his brow and scratching his head. "That's weird, don't remember there being an Orange Joe sale or anything today."

"Me either. So what's he so excited about?" AUBREY asked as she opened her phone. Both of them began reading the text, their confusion slowly turning to surprise, and eventually... shock.

"A-Ah-" AUBREY barely managed to speak, holding her phone with both hands as it trembled in her grasp. Her breathing got quicker while reading it.

HERO'S jaw was dropped, staring at the text as he quickly began patting AUBREY'S shoulder, seeing her teary eyed as she looked up to him.

"H-HERO..."

"AUBREY!"

"HERO!! AUBREY!!" Both looked to the entrance and saw BASIL and MS. POLLY, panting as they ran from the car into the store.

BASIL: "K-KEL- huff huff - text- huff huff - M-My chest..." He held his chest as MS. POLLY grabbed his shoulder.

MS. POLLY: "G-Get in the car! Quick! We need to go NOW!!"

AUBREY and HERO both got up, rushing towards them as they all began rushing out the door.

DAPHNE and BOWEN both looked back, having been in front of the shelf again as they looked to one another.

DAPHNE: "Hmmm... that sounded quite serious... I suppose we should let him go, don't think, brother?"

BOWEN: "Mmhmm... Fresh Bread." He said sniffing the baked bread again, DAPHNE doing the same as MS. CANDICE came running out of the CANDY SHOP.

MS. CANDICE: "Waaaait! My Prince! Don't leave your damsel in distress with cold lips~!" She clasped her hands to her chest, frowning a bit as she turned around. "YOU two!"

Both Twins immediately hugged one another tightly, shivering as MS. CANDICE glared at them.

-

-

-

Everyone was buckled into the car as MS. POLLY pushed her foot on the gas, rushing down the street all of them panting and some laughing as they looked at each other, unable to say anything and wanting to say so much. AUBREY was so excited she hugged HERO, hugging her back as that text KEL sent was at the forefront of all their minds...

Group Chat

KEL:

- GUIZ

- GUUS

- GYYS

- GUYS

- SUNNYS UP!! HES AWAKE! ME N MARI ARE @ THE HOSPITAL W/ HIM, COME NOW!!! HURRY HURRY HURRYYYYHHHH

3:31 PM

- This is KEL btw c:

3:35 PM

- Guys???

.

.

.

-------------------------

CHAPTER 15: END

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 75 21
this story takes place 1 year after Sunny told the truth to everyone at the hospital. still unable to forgive himself for Mari's death, Sunny and his...
3.5K 90 27
(COMPLETE) The bad ending aftermath, from the perspective of Sunny's friends. Now that this has happened twice, how will they react? This was made wh...
60.2K 1.6K 22
what if Sunny never had to move, never got over Mari, never told his friends the Truth, it was all the same. Every. Single. ...
6.5K 565 127
✩~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ✩ It's been 8 months since the truth came out. Sunny moved to the city, gets aquatinted with new faces, and keeping...