From Intern to Family | 9-1-1...

KitKatt303

The 118 has been chosen to take on an intern. There's mixed feelings, but ultimately Bobby's word is final. ... Еще

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Author's Note

Chapter 10

1.6K 44 2
KitKatt303

"What's the verdict, doc?" Eddie teased as Buck guided me to the sofas. Thankfully, I had been discharged this morning as my injuries weren't serious. Which is why Buck decided to just take us straight to the firehouse for our day of work.

I flopped on to the sofa, rolling my eyes when Buck scolded me for my lack of carefulness. "Concussion is gone and apart from a lot of bruising, he's okay. His wrist is still a little swollen, so he has to have that sling on for today." I glared angrily at the stupid sling.

If Buck hadn't been there when the doctor was saying all of this, then I probably would've ignored it. How unfortunate for me.

Hen and Chim were happy to see me and apparently they'd been worried since they weren't able to see me last night. So much so that Hen had taken to sitting beside me on the sofa and fussing over me to make sure I wasn't in any pain.

The two boyfriends wandered off to the bunks, presumably so Buck could change into his uniform for the day. I was still in the clothes I was given last night but now I know where they came from.

Turns out I had a t-shirt from Bobby, some shorts from Eddie and Buck's LAFD hoodie. Everything was slightly baggy on me, especially the hoodie. Yet, I refused to take any of it off. This hoodie was mine now and Buck would have to fight me if he wanted it back.

It was soft and comfy- sue me.

Bobby walked out from his office and gently brushed his hand over my head as he passed. "I see you're feeling better, Buck gave me a heads-up on your injuries. I'm giving you the day off." He informed and I immediately protested.

"Come on Cap, please? I don't want to go home and I want to work. I'm fine, honest!" I stated as convincingly as possible.

The captain sighed and thought it over for a moment, "Nothing physical and the second you feel any pain I want to know. You understand?" I nodded eagerly, pretending to do 'scouts honour'.

The group laughed and Chim squeezed himself next to me on the sofa. They were wasting time until their first call of the day so we booted up Mario Kart. My wrist ached slightly, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me beating the old man beside me.

"You cheated!" He yelled and I stuck my tongue out.

"Get good old man."

"You little-"

I laughed as he was cut off by Hen giving him a look, one that insisted he refrains from finishing that sentence. We loaded up another race, Hen joining this time, and soon enough everyone was gathered to watch us play.

Bobby placed a plastic bag on the coffee table and I could see a little note with 'Cooper' stuck to it. "Athena got one of the nurses to wash your clothes from yesterday." He informed. I raised my eyebrows in surprise and awkwardly cleared my throat.

"Could you- uh, thank her? Athena I mean, could you tell her I said thank you?" It was understood that I was thanking her for not just the clothes, but for everything last night. Who knows what would've happened if Athena hadn't been there?

I grabbed the bag of clothes and shuffled to the toilets to get changed. Just as Bobby said, the clothes were freshly cleaned. Not a speck of dirt or blood from the night before was present. Even the stains I hadn't been able to clean for months had somehow disappeared from the clothes.

When I walked back out, I had the borrowed clothes in the plastic bag. Except for the hoodie. It was still very big, but I felt comfortable and refreshed for the first time in hours so I wasn't going to change.

The team smiled knowingly at me and I placed the bag down, "Thank you guys as well. For letting me borrow your clothes and, y'know, just being there." I said quietly, all of a sudden shy. They brushed it off, as humble and generous as ever.

Soon enough, the alarm was going off and it was time for them to get to work. "Keep the hoodie Coop." Eddie called out as he ran down, sending me a knowing wink. I went red and spun around to avoid looking at his stupid face.

The place became empty quickly and I shivered at the change in atmosphere. There were some files and paperwork that had been left out, including another note with my name on it. Bobby had said I couldn't do physical work, but he never said I couldn't do other work.

Grabbing the papers and a pen, I curled up on the sofa and rested the folder on my lap. Luckily, my bad wrist was the left one so I could still write without any issue.

I sifted through sheet after sheet, reading and writing whatever was necessary. It was tedious work, sure, but it was what I was paid to do.

My attention wavered at times, either concentrating on the team talking through the radio or the sound of people walking past the entrance of the firehouse.

Whilst it was boring, it was also very relaxed. I couldn't complain really because I was still getting work done and I wasn't stressed from the night before.

A buzzing noise echoed in the quiet area and I fumbled for my phone. I looked at the name and instantly hung up the call, not even bothering to speak.

"I see your manners haven't changed." A voice snapped from behind me.

I turned my head and gulped at the sight of Andrea. "In my defence, you know I don't like calls. Especially from you." I answered sarcastically. Her glare sharpened and I instinctively tugged at the strings of my hoodie.

She strolled over and sat on the coffee table in front of me, dropping her fake designer handbag on the floor.

"I have given you plenty of chances to do something worthwhile. I even entertained your little act by letting you stay here. But now enough is enough. You think I wouldn't have been informed of your little stunt last night?" She rampaged on.

"My stunt? Did you miss the part where I got attacked completely unprovoked? And I'm doing well here! These people like me and they don't treat me like I'm just a dumb kid." My heart sped up at the sound of her laughter.

"You're ridiculous. You're lucky that nobody pressed charges-"

"Charges for what?" I yelled.

"Shut up. Do you honestly believe these people like you? The only reason you're here is because their big boss told them so and they can't argue it. Eventually they'll see how much trouble you bring and they'll decided you're not worth it." She ranted.

I clenched my jaw and ignored the burning sensation from the bruise. "You're wrong." I denied.

"Am I? We've been through this so many times and every time you throw a tantrum and I'm left to keep you in check. There's a reason you're in the position you are now, so stop fooling yourself." Her rant was cut short as she glanced behind me.

They like me. Right? They must care because who would do all the things they've done if they didn't care? But they're firefighters. It's in their job to be caring, to help people and to be the best representation of the good in people. If it's their job, then did they really care?

"Excuse me, I believe you're in the wrong place." A voice piped up from behind me. I scampered off the sofa and found Bobby stood at the top of the staircase with the others slowly walking up behind him.

Andrea stood up and smoothed her hands down her skirt, painting a more professional look. "Sorry to disturb you. I'm Andrea, Cooper's social worker. I needed to have a little chat with him after last nights events." She stated formally.

Bobby stepped forward in a strong stance, appearing unfazed by her bitter professionalism. It was clear the captain was wanting his team to remain where they were, but Buck never listened. The youngest firefighter waltzed past, standing beside me and resting a protective arm across my shoulders.

He cares. Andrea was wrong, of course she was.

Unless Buck was just being nice? It's possible. Everyone knows the extent of Buck's kindness and it's intertwined into every essence of his being. So this could simply be a courtesy he extends to all kids and I'm not special nor important.

"Social worker?" Chin questioned, looking Andrea up and down with a suspicious eye.

Not missing a beat, the lady extended her hand to Bobby for a firm handshake. Of course, Bobby was nothing if not a gentleman so he accepted. "I'm sure you're aware that Cooper isn't an easy boy. It's my duty to ensure he doesn't end up in jail before he turns eighteen. I can go into further detail with you-" My eyes widened.

"No!" I exclaimed, gulping under the intense stares. The silence that followed was tense, neither side generating their next move efficiently enough. Buck squeezed my shoulder as an attempt to calm me.

Thankfully, it was Bobby who spoke next. "I appreciate your explanation ma'am, but this appears to be Cooper's decision. I will only be made aware of details that he is comfortable sharing, otherwise all of the important notes are in his file that I had to check before hiring him. Now if you excuse us, we're going to make some food before we have to rush out again. Goodbye.".

I'm positive that my mouth went slack in shock. Andrea looked angered and I was mildly disappointed that I wasn't the person to put that look on her face. "Very well." She said snootily. She sent me one last glare and promptly walked away.

Once we were sure Andrea had left, Bobby clapped his hands and smiled. "Hen said something about pancakes so I think-" I barrelled into the man, not caring about the bruising pain that spread through my body at the action. It was quiet for a moment and, upon realising my mistake, I went to pull away.

Arms wrapped around my shoulders and a hand ruffled my hair, allowing me to relax in Bobby's arms.

"I don't think I could say thank you enough. But thank you." I mumbled into his chest. No words were said, yet it felt like a thousand were understood. Bobby cares and I don't care if it's because of who he is or if he genuinely just likes me.

Someone cares and that's all that matters.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

6.1K 205 39
It's been months since the virus swept the world and wiped out all the adults, leaving only children and teenagers, fending for themselves. Alleia li...
1.1M 45.6K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
4.7K 72 7
Meet Hope Mackenzie Shepherd-Slone. The daughter of Derek Shepherd and Mark Slone. Step daughter of Addison Montgomery AU features involved Mpeg B...
19.6K 382 25
All rights go the creators of The Vampire Diaries and the CW, except for the fanfiction characters and plots. -- heartofice97: Kassandra Mikaelso...