Chapter 8

"Wait wait wait, I get paid for this?" I exclaimed, blinking in wild confusion. Bobby glanced at me amusedly, scribbling something down on his paperwork.

"It's an internship, of course we pay you. It's not a lot of money though so don't get too excited." He stated.

I nodded, quickly slipping into the seat opposite him. "Money is money, I mean I'm grateful either way. How much we talking?" I questioned. Bobby sighed and placed down his pen, "When you give me your bank details I'll be able to send you your pay check." I laughed awkwardly in reply.

"Well that's the thing, I don't have a bank account." I muttered quietly.

Eddie looked over from his spot on the sofa, "What kid doesn't have a bank account at sixteen? You get to spend money on games and candy." He protested and I rolled my eyes.

"I just never set one up and some kids don't just buy games and sweets. Money is slim for me." I stated honestly.

The two men looked over worriedly and Eddie even got up to take the seat beside me. "Aren't you parents providing stuff for you? Food, water?" His paternal side came out, making me nervous.

The questions were always difficult to avoid with Eddie. "I can take care of myself. Anyway, the important part- how much money do I get?" I turned back to Bobby with a grin on my face.

"We're not dropping this subject Cooper, but I can sort that out for you. For now, I'll give you your pay checks in cash. That okay?" The pair laughed at my eager nodding.

I was getting paid for an internship! That meant it was pretty much a job and a job means a steady income of money for little ol' me. Imagine all the things I could buy. With winter coming soon, maybe I'd be able to find myself a thick, warm coat.

We chatted for a little while longer and soon enough, I was being sent on my way. The team were on a later shift and since it wasn't legal for me to work the same shift as them, Bobby was sending me home now. It was fairly late in the day, the sun beginning to start it's descent to make way for the night.

Leaving work at this time was always nice, the streets were busy enough that there were still plenty of faces about, but it was calmer than rush hour earlier in the day. Plus the orange skies were really pretty.

My thin t-shirt didn't do much for the slight chill in the air and I sped up to generate some more heat. The sound of footsteps drew closer behind me and a shiver ran down my back. Odd.

I glanced around and saw a few people still scattered about, so I didn't find myself too concerned.

That was my first mistake.

My second mistake was finding a five dollar bill outside of an empty alleyway.

Then the third mistake? Bending down to grab the money.

Air left my lungs as I crashed on to the hard concrete, landing in the entrance of the alley. My arm ached after landing on it and I looked up in both anger and confusion.

In front of me stood five guys, all of similar age to me. I didn't recognise them that well, until the guy in the middle stepped forward.

It was Alex Myers' older brother, Luke. He was about two years older than us and was a senior, due to be graduating in nine months. The other four must be his friends.

"What's going on Luke?"  I questioned, an edge of nervousness in my voice.

"Alex didn't get the job done right, so I'm here to take over." He threatened and I blinked in confusion. Did he get that line out of a movie or something? "Look, I haven't been involved in that stuff lately. I'm not looking for a problem." I replied, getting to my feet.